“A little bit of paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Zamas
Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila | Km 5, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 76 hotels in Tulum
NYC
“A little bit of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My recent 6-night stay at Zamas was delightful. I was looking for a quiet, peaceful vacation and this hotel provided that with clean, attractive accommodations, and a delightful open-air restaurant right on the beach that was comfortably casual. The managers of the property, including of the restaurant, were very attentive; in fact, I was upgraded to a larger more comfortable room after I mentioned that my room didn't have adequate ventilation. Since I'd traveled to Tulum previously, I was not interested in any excursions - I just wanted to relax in the shade of a palapa and watch the tide roll in and roll out while sipping a margarita. And that's exactly what I did. I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Zamas.

Room Tip: A second floor room is desirable for view and the ventilation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. We’re pleased to hear that our staff was attentive and the ambiance delightful and attractive. Moreover, we’re thrilled to hear that you got exactly the vacation that you wanted. We make every effort to tailor our service for each individual guest. Whether it’s an excursion-heavy itinerary or a laid-back beach trip – we want our guests to have the stay they’re looking for. We look forward to your return visit!!!

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just spent a little over a week in Cabana 7....beach front. All in all, our stay was fabulous....the plus items included; our beach front Cabana location was literally right-on-the-beach, the food was a solid 7 out of 10 (margaritas a 10!), the live music was amazing and the staff was just wonderful. We enjoyed our stay there quite a bit. The area is truly paradise...reminds me of Thailand a bit. The negatives included our Cabana location backed up to the road, which wasn't that big of deal, but it felt a little "exposed". When sitting in the lovely restaurant, you view the beach ....and then a good portion of the road (again, feels a little exposed). Also, the beach is swimmable, but there are far superior beaches just a few clicks down the road either way. Lastly, you will get stung for a much higher nightly rate if you book through their website. It is best to call the hotel directly (do not email them, it gets routed to a booking agent and you will $100 more PER NIGHT).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We’re very happy to hear that your stay was “fabulous.” We continually strive to provide excellent service, good food on the beach and a fun vibe – and we’re thrilled to hear we hit those marks with you! Regarding reservations, our rates are consistent online and at the hotel. We have promotions from time to time and our receptionists will offer these onsite based upon availability. A small hotel, we do what we can to provide quality service at competitive rates. The cove of our “lovely restaurant,” is the site of numerous photo shoots and is considered a spectacular site by many; it is just a short walk to a long stretch of open beach. We look forward to seeing you another time – please let us know if you’d like to return and we will do our best to make your stay fabulous once again.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well, my girlfriend and I stayed @ Zamas recently and really enjoyed ourselves. We stayed right on the beach, enjoyed beautiful sunrises, delicious guacamole and fresh shrimp, and some downright tasty tequila. Rates are very reasonable, staff is courteous, helpful, and very friendly. The rooms were very clean, the showers were awesome, and proximity to many Tulum attractions makes Zamas a can't miss choice for your trip. When you go, be sure to say hi to Roger!

--Jon + Gillian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thanks for staying with us at ZAMAS and sharing your experience here. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed your room, the beautiful sunrises, and the delicious food and drink!!! Roger says “hola” and we all look forward to your return stay!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I were overwhelmed by our stay at Zamas. It was even better than we imagined it would be, and we were all quite excited to begin with. The staff, the location, the variety of wonderful things to do and see made every day lovely. Town, a large grocery store, the ruins, a convenient bodega, and choices for food and beach lounging were all a walk, bike ride, or economical cab ride away. The biosphere was amazing too! I recommend a tour with the option to float through the mangrove canals.
Zamas is in a great central location but still quiet with its own beach and amazing food! I can't wait to go back again! Thanks, Susan and Zamas!

• Stayed March 2013
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for the lovely comments about ZAMAS – we're thrilled that you loved Tulum and we're so happy that we made your trip that much more special by staying with us. We look forward to your return visit very soon!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Zamas from March 23-30. We had the most amazing time in Tulum and a big, big part of that was how incredible our location was at Zamas. The house we stayed in was incredible (truly), conveniently located, comfortable, and was always kept clean. The staff at Zamas was always extremely friendly and helpful. We felt very well taken care of at Zamas. It was a magical and luxurious trip and a big part of that was Zamas. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ZAMASHotel, Manager at Zamas, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff and the service that they provided during your stay. Customer service is our most important priority; we want our guests to feel that they are well cared for at ZAMAS. Likewise, we strive to provide a connection with the local ambiance and community. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My first trip to Tulum was made incredible because of the lovely and professional staff at Zamas. Even before my trip started, they were one of the first hotels that answered my emails/questions and helped to arrange my transport to and from CUN.
When I arrived everyone "knew" me already and treated me like an old friend or recurring guest. Everyone was SO pleasant, happy to help, and dedicated to making my trip fun.
I had a jungle suite looking at the ocean from across the road. The room was bright, airy, and kept clean and replenished with beach towels daily. Honestly, my friend and I did not stay in the room that often, but it was a beautifully tiled, typical Mexican style bungalow (although attached to a larger villa).
The most important aspect of Zamas were the people there. Roger and Mariano became great company and gave my friend and I alot of local tips because we didn't want to do all of the touristy stuff. We love food and every suggestion they gave us (from taco trucks to tulum town seafood) was spot on. Every day either Roger or Mariano spent time hanging out with us at night and listened to our daily reports. It was just fun heading back home to the hotel everynight where even the wait staff knew our name (maybe this is the tulum version of Cheers?).
I first saw Zamas on Jetsetter and it definitely is on the level of a cool, laid back, Carribean place without the hipster factor or pretense. While I definitely saw some bad client behavior there, I never saw anyone at Zamas get impatient or change their attitude. They are genuinely service oriented and truly want their guests to have a wonderful time in Tulum.

Room Tip: beach bungalows are on the ocean. jungle rooms are off the road but you can still see and hear the o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent 5 days here during the first week of March. Our second trip in four years. We ARE coming back next year with our kids and grandkids! I read a review where someone wrote that the food is ok....... where did they eat? Surely not at Zamas. We eat almost all of our meals there because the food, drinks, service and location are fantastic! Friendly staff. Crisply clean rooms each day. Really good music 3 nights per week. Roll out of bed, shuffle out to the restaurant (at the beach), watch the sun rise, get great coffee and food.... and never put on your shoes. What's not to love?

Room Tip: We like to stay on the beach side of the property so we can always walk on sand.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Zamas? Share your experiences!