“Clothing-optional Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Nashville
“Clothing-optional Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

This is not a nudist colony! This is an exquisite eco-resort that is a must for those of us who can't stand the idea of a vacation in McDonald's-ridden Cancun. Cabanas Copal is clothing-optional but folks aren't eating dinner in their birthday suits. There are only 24 casitas and for the best experience there, reserve the King Casita (the biggest and the most private). There is no electricty and that's what makes it even more special. All candlelight. Beautiful tile floors and comfy beds overlook the beautiful ocean. The service is top-notch for an eco-resort, especially the dining. Healthy and fresh, the food is hard to top. The beach has some rocky areas, but if you walk 1/4 mile the beach is deserted and rock free. All along this road you will find other eco-resorts with the same idea; some with electricity and A/C. You won't need it, though; the breezes that whip through your door will make a very memorable vacation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Copal was a wonderful change in pace for us. It was our second of three hotels along the Mayan Riviera. We spent the first week in Playa Del Carmen. It was a busy and stressful week since we both got married down there and our infant son spent two days in the Cancun Hospital. We really needed to relax and unwind after all the craziness and Copal was the PERFECT place for this. As we arrived, I could literally feel the stress fall off my body.
We stayed in room 23, a seaview king. I would highly recommend spending the extra money for the seaview rooms. They not only have a great breeze that you can’t get in the jungle rooms, but the sound of the waves crashing is the perfect lullaby for sleep.
We rented a car, so we explored a lot of other things in the area. This trip we did some cenotes. “Hidden Worlds” was expensive, but well worth the price. They take you into underground caves and you snorkel through them. They were breathtaking. If you have any fears, you might want to think real hard before you do this. Had some friends that enjoyed Crystal Cenote just a little further south. It is an open canopy cenote, great for swimming and playing. There is a free cenote right off the highway next to “Casa Cenote” We enjoyed swimming in there then having dinner and drinks at the little restaurant and bar there. Renting a car does enable you to explore the area a little.
The rooms were comfortable and quite. We didn’t even need to use our mosquito netting because it was so “breezy” or windy while we were there. It was great for the heat and the bugs, but the water was also very rough and hard to swim in. There wasn’t anything to see anyway since it was murky from the harsh waves.
I think three nights was perfect for us! More might have been too much and less wouldn’t have been enough. There isn’t much to do, especially in the “off season”, so once the sun goes down, you just have to relax, have some dinner or head to town. We didn’t spend much time in town, but it was a nice area to shop, eat, etc. It was perfect for the beginning of our honeymoon and you do have a lot of privacy.
We did encounter some wildlife, but it was all harmless. We had a hermit crab in our room, a few geckos and other small lizards. One of the geckos was eating a pretty big bug, so I was happy he was there. It was great that they supplied a lot of water. The other places we have stayed in the area didn’t do that.
No electricity wasn’t a problem at all. You have running water and candles, which is all you need. Just make sure you have your flashlights handy if you have to arrive or leave after dark.
The pathways are beautiful and the candles at night are a great touch, but don’t rely on them to see. Bring your flashlight. Be careful as there are rocks on the sand pathways. One guest there cut his toe open and it looked pretty bad.
Food was a bit pricey, but excellent. We didn't eat breakfast there, but dinner was wonderful all three nights. I enjoyed the shrimp kabobs and the pineapple fish...yummy!
They Mayan Spa was great. I had a reflexology massage and we did the Temezcal. It was a really cool experience.
Do heed the warnings about aversions to wildlife and sand, electricity, etc. It is the perfect place if this is the type of thing you are into. If you expect walls, electricity, cement side walks, party time, loud and crazy people, you are in the wrong place. It is really the greatest place to just unwind, relax and enjoy the unspoiled coast of Mexico. Cancun and Tulum are two different worlds and I prefer Tulum!

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

Welcome to the Jungle (May 18-25, 2005)

Cabanas Copal

Reception - once checked in, your bags will be carried to your cabana for you. There is a cool map on the wall. They could make some money selling those, but they don't. There is a safe to store your documents/passports.

No electricity - At check-in, they asked if we knew there was no electricity. Yes, we did. We thought it was a major selling point. If you go during a full moon, you barely need a flashlight walking in the seaview cabana areas. The lit pathways are very pretty, especially in the jungle cabana area where there's lots of foliage and you need the candlelight to follow the sand paths. You will definately want a flashlight for in the cabanas.

The beach - Loved it. White sand. Zero trash. Had two men selling hammocks one day but they were the only vendors I saw walking the beach the entire time. Clear water turns into beautiful shades of tourquoise. There are two hanging beds overlooking the ocean, sets of sturdy beach chairs and tables scattered along the beach. Or sit at the bar or on it's deck overlooking the ocean. There was probably only a total of 20 people on the beach and in the water and at the bar at one time.

What a great time to go during the end of the season when the crowds dwindle, if you can handle the heat and no electricity!

Weather - Hot and humid and I sweated for the first two days whenever I moved, except in the ocean. Nights are warm but I don't live with central air in Colorado and endure warm nights in the summer. No big deal. I handled it. But for a/c fanatics, you'll hate it.

The water off the beach - Loved it. As said on the website, the water is gentle, with no undercurrents. You'll be surprised at the number of fish in the shallow area. Seems I always saw the silver diamond shaped fish with black tips once I put my snorkeling mask on and put my face in the water. It's shallow for quite a ways which gives beginner snorkelers lots of areas

to explore safely. You can float still for a while over a pile of rocks and watch all the little fish and crabs move into view and then hide again. Ah, to hear nothing but the sound of your breathing and be in your own little world. There are some beds of seaweed you can snorkel over without touching. I was on swim team in high school but I've always had respect/fear of the sea. I felt very comfortable going far out on my own without a life jacket. I kept searching for the reef mentioned on the website. They say you can't miss the reef, but I did. My husband finally found it on the last day, his third time out that day. Lucky! It sounded amazing! He said he saw a sea turtle the size of a garbage can lid near the reef . . . like swimming in an aquarium.

Nude beach - like most reviews said, it was 1/3 in swimsuits, 1/3 females topless, 1/3 male and female nude. No gawkers or flaunters. I was told there wasn't nudity in the area due to local customs until about 5 years ago. Most of those going nude wrapped up in sarongs when walking the property and were only nude in the water or on the beach.

The people - if you wanted to be left alone, you were. Otherwise there are some great people to meet. You'll meet them on the beach, at the restuarant, etc. Mostly couples. Everyone was so friendly and low-key. No drunken loud partiers. The guests can give you tips on the area, good restaurants, transporation, etc. We met two young couples married on our anniversary date, May 21. Other couples and people were from California, Canada, NYC, Florida, and Colorado.

Kids - there was a tiny baby there for the week and one day we saw two little boys with their family. That's all. And one lady with a baby on the way.

The property in general - the sandy walkways were clean. I saw two small pieces of glass in two different places. Saw some cigarette butts in one area. This was the only trash I saw. The beach gets littered with seaweed that washes up each night.

Most of it is raked up every morning and hauled away in buckets. It's safe to walk barefoot on beach. Many of the staff from the bar that bring you menus, food and drink on the beach don't bother wearing shoes as they walk through sand all afternoon and it's just plain easier to walk in bare feet.

The Cabanas - Loved ours, a Seaview King. Surprised at the closet and large bathroom. Lusted over the Seaview Quad next door that had a tub and hammock on the porch. We had a king sized bed with mosquito netting, a small closet with half a dozen hangers and two shelves, two chairs, a table holding a jug of water, another table, cement floors, and a private bath that was good sized with a toilet, sink and shower with colorful Mexican tile along the bottom and a conch shell for the shower head. There is romantic candlelight in the cabañas and they provide plenty of candles. The matches they provide are small wilted little sticks that barely work. They break in half before they light. Buy a lighter.

We brought extra sheets and pillow cases from home in case their's were gross. Didn't really need. They supplied a bed blanket, didn't need it, just sheets as it was probably 75 degrees F or higher each night. Thank goodness for the breeze.

Kept the mosquito netting closed around the bed at all times. Never had any bugs in side the netting. The shower water is a slight mix of salt water and the water pressure probably is weaker than you're used to. But it is fine in the scheme of things. Remember the water is coming out of a real conch shell and it makes up for it.

Not sure if this is the policy, but seems if you had the towels provided in the cabana with you down at the beach, you didn't get new towels in your cabana. when we arrived we had fresh towels folded on the bed under the mosquito netting. When I peeked in the Quad next door, I noticed their towels on the bed were folded into fancy swan shapes. What's up with that? If you need new towels, just exchange them at the lobby. One time we were told they were out of fresh towels for about an hour.

As we headed back to our cabana, a worker with fresh towels passed us and we traded our towels with him. In the cabana are two Mexican blankets you can use on the beach or to pad a chair.

From some reviews I read, I was concerned about privacy, but the walls were stuccoed. We often draped a sarong or towel between the sleeping area and large private bath for our own privacy from each other.

There is a padlock to use on the outside when you leave your cabana, or use on the inside when you want to be locked in during the night or naps during the day, although it's better to nap during the day outside in the breeze.

The weather - 8 beautiful sunny days, cool cloud formations in the afternoon, clear to partly cloudy evenings. The second night we heard winds that sounded pretty stong. The last night a thunderstorm was brewing and we heard thunder like we've never heard before. Mostly we just heard the ocean.

The Bugs/Animals - Not bad. I only saw two bugs in our cabana, and it wasn't until the last day. I saw no snakes, scorpions or tarantulas. The last morning I noticed a big flying bug was half in and half out of the netting. It must've dive bombed at a high speed into our cabanas when we had the door open during the night for some breezes. It took this bug a good two hours to partically work it's way back out of the netting. While brushing my teeth that same morning, I was barefoot walking between the bedroom and bathroom and one trip into the bathroom and I stepped on something that stung or but me on my second toe. I hopped outside and saw a small drop of blood. Cleaned it, put some Neosporim on it and I was good as new. Later my husband found the culprit half dead on it's back on the floor. I'm just glad it happened the last, not the first day. Wear flip flops in the bathroom if it's too dark to see the floor properly. We experienced bugs at dust which is when we were away from the ocean breezes that help keep them away, and usually eating dinner outside. I got mosquito bites and noseeum bites on my ankles and arms. My husband almost went insane from the itching while waiting for our dinner to be served at Zahras, an open air restaurant. Bring repellant and use it during dawn/dusk or in the jungle areas. one little gecko poked his head in between the crack where the roof meets the walls one morning then quickly retreated. They won't hurt you.

Iguanas are cute and crawl out to sunbathe in the morning, holding still for hours or until they smell food. One lunch our friend was napping and as we were eating sandwiches delivered to us on the beach, and two iguanas came out. One roamed right by her, paused, licked her toe, then moved on. It was so cute. They won't hurt you and will shoo if you wave your hand or toss a little sand in between you and them.

Sea Turtles - not nesting on the beach this time of year as advertised on the website. I didn't see any. My husband saw one when he went out snorkeling from the beach.

Drinking water - they fail to mention on the website that you get a jug of water in the cabana. It is refilled when empty.

The spout only dribbles water out so it takes a while to fill a water bottle. If you want it cold, get cold bottled water from the restuarant or bar or get a cooler that you fill with ice and buy cold bottled water at a store.

Restaurant - Loved it. First dinner fabulous after a day of traveling. Every dinner I had was absolutely fabulous, especially the mango fillet I had our first night. I asked the waiter whether he recommended the mango or pineapple. He recommmeded mango. Excellent choice.

One night at Copal my husband and I ordered the special, tequilla marinated shrimp kabobs over rice with steamed vegetables

and a bottle of house wine. I'm not a wine drinker but it was great! And then the soupa lima and coconut shrimp kabobs the last night were fantastic! I'm a bit shrimp, rice, soup and vegetable lover. I always ate everything on my plate at dinner.

It was so good. I was worried about the review where someone said the vegetables were over-smothered in a sauce or butter or something. They were lightly smothered in something yummy. I'll have to try and recreate it at home. I regret not having Sangria or having enough time to try everything on the menu. Next time!

Now how did I miss the swinging chairs at the bar of the restaurant? They were kind of in a dark area and I guess I never noticed anyone in them until the last night and we were already seated for dinner. Next time I'll have to sit there and have a cocktail before dinner.

Avoid the American Breakfast - very salty! (Not on the web site menu) I had mine with scrambled eggs and salmon, came with a salty wedge of hash browns, one piece of toast with creamed spinach, and one piece of plain toast. Not like any breaktfast I ever had in America. Best are at Don Cafetos in Tulum - wonderful tall cool fruit juices, extensive menu. Or if you want something light, get the breakfast at Copal of yogurt, fruit and granola. One morning it was served with 4 types of fruit. Another morning the only fruit was banana which was a bit disappointing. Don't expect consistency. The type of cheese changed from American style to Mexican style that week on the same type of sandwich. Be flexible.

I was going to be adventurous and try the cactus salad but never did. Another guest tried it and she was disappointed. She said the cactus is very slimy, just not what she expected. Better her than me.

Here's a little secret. I couldn't find a link to their restaurant menu, but found the page here
(---) and this one in the wedding section,
(---)

Bar - I typically drank cold Coronas in a glass bottle and bottled water. I tried one of the alcoholic fruit drinks called Coco Loco but I didn't taste any liquor. Other guests mentioned the cocktails were weak.

Nightlife at Copal - didn't see any as mentioned on the website probably b/c of the low season. Some of my frineds would be into the drumming and dances. We made our own fun getting together with others for dinner and general hanging out.

Other Tulum Retuarants - Headed to Zahra's, a short 5 minute walk down the road, for dinner one night and met a great couple, Franz and Heather, on our way out. They were staying at Copal, too. Turns out Heather was a grad student at the university, in fact from the same college, I work at and we never met until in Tulum. Another night Doug and Norma, another cool couple we met, invited us for dinner and we headed into town and met up with Franz and Heather and ate at an Argentine Restaurant highly recommmeded for good red meat. I was into fish. I wasn't too thrilled at my dinner. I ordered a fish fillet, b/c at Cabanas Copal and Zahras I loved the mango fillet I had the first night at Copal and the Empapelado fillet (grilled in tin foil) at zahras so much that I wanted to stick with fish since I'm from land-locked Colorado. Well, I got a white plate with a fillet of white fish and sliced white pototoes. Not a spec of another color. Not even a sprig of something green, edible or not. I looked longingly at Franz's vegetarian crepes and the steaks the others ordered. I love a good presentation of colorful food. Luckily, I enjoyed the appetizers and small chunks of yummy white bread served with an assortment of 4 delicious different dipping sauces from buttery to mild to spicy, something for everyone. Other food highlights was the marinated veggie bowl served at each table at Don Cafetos, especially the roasted garlic - I ate a whole one myself one morning waiting for our breakfast to served. Tasty.

Mayan Spa - There were free yoga classes every morning although I opted to float in the sea. They also had massages, aloe vera wraps for the severly sunburned, clay massages, etc. My brother-in-law tried to arrange for two massages for myself and my husband as gifts for our 10th anniversary we were celebrating, but the staff never informed us. He arranged for it over the Internet and didn't tell us as he wanted it to be a surprise. We didn't know about it until after we were home and he

feels confident they will issue his card a credit.

Here's my revised list "Adventure Checklist"

1. Flashlight with batteries

2. Sunscreen

3. Insect repellent

4. Swimsuit, or not

5. Cool, casual summer-ish clothing. But only one or two shirts max for evening. One or two pairs of shorts maximum, and a
light sweater or jacket for the evening. Hair accessories to keep the wind from blowing your hair in your face. Pack clothes

in travel/space saver bags, good to keep bugs and sand out of clothing once there.

6. Reading material

7. Good walking sandals or comfortable open shoes. I brought flip-flops and Tevas. Didn't need anyting else.

8. ATM cards (your pin number), travelers checks, or cash in US dollars or Mexican pesos

9. Travel mug. I brought my own powdered coffee, travel mug and camping spoon. The restaurant staff kindly filled my mug with hot water every morning. Lovely to drink coffee in the early morning ocean waves.

10. Snorkeling or scuba gear if you have it. If you rent it in Reception for $5 usd. per day, expect to give up your driver's

license as a deposit.

11. Assorted plastic bags.

12. Digital Camera with waterproof housing for taking underwater pictures with extra charged batteries and memory cards

13. Extra sarong for your husband who will be wanting one by day two. "I saw a guy in a sarong. Is it wrong to wear a sarong?"

The worst I can say is one bad breakfast, two bigs bugs in the cabana the last morning we were there, and the minor complaint of my husband stumbing his toe a few times on the sand paths. Sounds like something I would do, but I never stubbed my toe and I'm not that graceful walking through sand in flip-flops. Also, husband said the bikes near Zahras were in better condition than the one he rented at Copal which had no working brakes and he had to point out that the tire was nearly flat, which they filled.

No terribly bad sunburns, no Montezumas revenge, nothing stolen, no loud partying at night, no bad attitudes or bad service.

I loved it. I'm goin back for sure! I'll take fresh sea breeze, a great beach and candlelight vs. electricity any day. This was my most relaxing vacation ever!

, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, June 12, 2005
Thanks so much for such a lengthy description of your experience at Copal! We so appreciate the details you have provided for other users, and I just linked to it from the FAQ section of our website. I think your post will answer a lot of questions that guests may have before arrival, and thanks to a lot of your comments, I have updated several pages of the website.

You were in Cabana 27 during your stay. You mention a seaview quad next door with a tub and hammock. That is actually the casita, number 28. It has a wide porch, unlike the seaview kings and quads.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the matches. I will check with our purchasing manager to make sure he find a different supplier for our matches.

I also updated the site where it discusses sea turtles to make it clear that you have to stay up late at night to see the turtles. They will not come out early in the evenings while there is still activity on the beach. Guests will probably have to stay up until one or two a.m. in order to see the turtles nest.

Drinking water: I just added that to the FAQ. We added the water jugs and dispensers early this year to all the cabanas.

We have a new food and beverage manager, Cristian, who just started this week. I will make sure he supervises the chefs regarding excessive salt in the dishes, and consistency with the fruit salads and other dishes. Plates should be served exactly the same every day. All cocktails should be served with a full ounce and a half shot of liquor, so there should be consistency in the drinks as well. I will be sending an email to our general manager after I finish this post so he can make sure this is all taken care of.

Nightlife: I also added to the website that during the low season, many of the local musicians take advantage of this time to travel, so we will definitely not have the variety that we have during the rest of the year. However, I have made a note to discuss this with our manager so he makes sure there is regular entertainment.

I am so sorry about the poor coordination with your massages. I just entered the booking system, and I see the note for the two massages paid. I am going to check with our reservations manager, as well as our rooms division manager and spa managers, and get back to you on what happened. I will also ensure that reservations processes the refund to the credit card, if it has not yet been done.

Thanks also for the update to the "Adventure Checklist!" I have updated our website with your suggestions.

Your comment regarding the condition of the bikes is not the first one I have received. The bikes we rent are owned by the same person who rents the bikes at Punta Piedra, near Zahra, so the condition should be exactly the same. Our general manager is contacting them to get us better bikes, or we will have to find a different bike provider.

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. I think our website is improved with the updates, and I think that everyone considering a vacation at Copal will benefit from your thorough review. Please contact me at holly at cabanascopal dot com if you have any questions or additional comments.
Fort Collins Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

Oooo, I wanna take ya..... After reading the reviews before we went we saw major differences in opinions expressed. If you "Read between the lines" you too should see that it's not for everybody. We loved it so much we actually thought of submiting a negative review just to throw you people off the track. For us it was near perfection. A couple of pointers. It's almost impossible to get large pesos changed to small. Bring some single USDs or Euros for tips. We often had to stiff waiters and bartenders on tips because we didn't have the small bills. The bikes at Copal are terrible, mine didn't have working brakes. Walk down the road about 200meters and rent there, price is the same and the bikes are much nicer. The bugs wern't bad but they seem to hang out at the open air resturants so have the juice ready. Of course the prices at the resort's resturante and bars are higher than in town but the service is good the food(except The American Breakfast) was fantastic. Go to the ruins by bike if you don't rent a car, it's only about a 15 minute ride. Go early before the Cancun busses roll in with the hordes. Bring your swim suit and you can view the ruins from the Sea and you will be happy to be able to cool off. Snorkeling at Copal was like a dream. About 300 meters straight out is the Coral Reef. I must have seen hundreds of different types of fish and one big tortise. If you haven't got it figured out by now we had a great time at Copal and plan on returning next year. One thing about going to a place without electricty is that you meet people who READ BOOKS. People who have ideas, and informed opinions even if they don't always agree with yours. We met some of our new BEST FRIENDS at Copal.

• Stayed May 2005
, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, June 8, 2005
Thanks so much for your post! Did you let anyone know about the bikes during your stay? Thanks for letting us know that they are not in good condition. The bicycles for rent at Copal are provided by the same person who rents down the beach at Punta Piedra, so theoretically they should be of the same quality. Our general manager will be contacting him today to make sure that we are provided with better bikes and maintenance. Thanks again! We would welcome any additional suggestions here online or at holly at cabanascopal dot com.

Thanks also for your point about electricity. Back when Copal opened with four cabanas in 1988, we had electric lighting and outlets in all the cabanas. One night, the generator failed and we had to light with candles. After that, our guests asked us not to turn the generator on the following night (once it was fixed), so we didn´t. And, due to demand by returning Copal guests, we have never added electricity to our cabanas. We find that our guests value the experiences they have by being in a different environment with a different rhythm.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Spent a week at Zahra with 3 girlfriends in April - it was the most fantastic vacation thus far, and I travel 3-4 times a year. We had a spacious breezy cabin with a bathroom about 50 yards from the cleanest, most beautiful and inviting ocean, which we could hear as we went to sleep. Awoke to the sunrise every morning and walked to the next hotel (Copal) for morning yoga, then to the restaurant at Zahra for a yummy breakfast (the lunches and dinners there were fantastic, fresh and very reasonably priced!). Then to the nude beach, mud massages, Temezcal (Mexican sweatlodge ceremony), the Mayan ruins just 5 km down the beach - hands down fantastic! The people were incredibly friendly and helpful (I speak minimal Spanish), the food was great, the service and facilities were divine (We judge by high NYC standards). The beach was just breathtaking and we found some locals to take us fishing out on a boat. We didn't expect it to get as chilly as it did at night - we didn't bring enough long sleeves for the evenings. Looks like a great place to take a honeymoon or romantic getaway, although for us it was just the most relaxing trip ever with friends. I have been telling people about it non-stop ever since we got back, although I really want to keep this amazing place to myself and will return here time after time.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

Cabanas Copal was one of the most memorable places I have ever stayed and I have done my share of traveling. If you are looking for a place that is unconventional and totally romantic then this is the place. I went with my boyfriend and the ambiance was out of a romance novel. Waking with the sunrise, enjoying warm days, candle lite evenings and listening to the tropical rain as we slept. I could see the ocean from my bed and the food was delicious. The rustic beachside escape made me feel primal and it was spiritually rejuvenating. If you are looking for rustic beauty this is it.

Stayed June 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

No lights, no love, no service. Looks great in the photos online but when you get there it is another story. There are so many other nice places in Tulum to enjoy the lovely beach. Scarey at night and the staff could care less about what you need. Would definitely not recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2005
, owner at Cabanas Copal, responded to this review, May 28, 2005
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your comments. I am concerned about the problems you had with service during your stay. There is another post from the same day as yours that gives a completely different perspective, and another from May 10, that describes our staff as "VERY helpful and friendly, 1st class service all the way." We strive to constantly improve guest service at Cabanas Copal. Please contact me at holly at cabanascopal dot com to let me know what happened during your stay. All the details you can provide us with will help us improve guest service for the future: name or description of employee, area the person was working in (Copal restaurant, reception, etc.) and shift, what exactly the problem was, etc. Did you ask to speak with a manager during your stay to help fix the problem you experienced? Please let us know so we can correct this issue for future guests. Thanks so much!

Been to Cabanas Copal? Share your experiences!