“Best food in Tulum” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 250 Restaurants in Tulum
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An open-air restaurant located on the jungle side of Tulum's beach road. Local farm-to-chef ingredients cooked on the grill or wood burning oven. Menu changes daily based on availability of ingredients.Dinner only. Cash only.
New York City, New York
“Best food in Tulum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Good food, menu changes daily. very hot, lots of bugs, go in the evening when it cools down. Guy in the big sombero was kinda creepy.

Visited August 2014

“Great food don't pay with dollars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

First time we came to Hartwood was 2013 shared the lobster and it was awesome. Fell in love with Tulum so we came back twice this summer. first time we were here this summer was in april the line to get in was 60 people deep so we passed obviously and were unable to get in it the rest of the week... now august... went yesterday and got in no problem at 6 p.m. greater was great but they start pushing the drinks heavily the second u come in...at 10 bucks a pop I think they're good and strong. we ordered the whole fish roasted plantain and the corn ice cream all were awesome... Problem that I had was that we asked before we sat down what the average price of the fish was going to be for both of us the guy said 290 pesos at the end of the meal it was 543 pesos... Big Fish so understandable...the price of the food and drinks 1593 or 145 usd... Luckily we always use pesos in Mexico but we did the conversion and the real price of the food was 119 usd... Don't get the reason why they try to rip you off if you're paying in dollars... One of their largest clientele are Americans. The food is already expensive and the fish comes off the boats in the morning from these guys that are breaking there backs for pennies... guarantee they pay close to nothing for the catch of the day... All in all great restaurant great food lots and lots of bugs (bees and mosquitos)...bring pesos payment in cash only!

Berkeley, CA
“Good....but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

definitely did not live up to expectations. We probably enjoyed the inventive cocktails the most + the decor/design, very cool in a simple chic way. The wait service was annoyingly pushy (obviously they are thinking about turning tables; not something you want to have to deal with in Tulum for sure) and not very friendly (exception was the sweet guy from No. Mexico) and the food was good, but not great and not the wonderful flavors and specialness we anticipated (nor for the higher prices that were paid). It is the 'sceniest' restaurant in Tulum, for sure, can only imagine what it's like in high season, and for people watching that's kind of fun, but again, not what we're in Tulum for. We were hoping for more of a humble farm to table with a mayan twist experience, and instead we felt more like we were in south beach in Miami at points during the dinner. We are spoiled in that we live in SF and have so many excellent restaurants and bars here and in Oakland--and the only reason I bring this up as this restaurant is so touted one would think it would be comparable to some of the best here, but, sadly, it just wasn't for us. Maybe our expectations were too high--and that might have been ok if it was balanced by welcoming service and warm atmosphere, but that also missed the mark for us.

• Visited August 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the Best Meals I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

One of the best meals of my life. As soon as I told people I was going to Tulum, I had three separate pleas that I make sure to dine here. Glad I followed through.

Setting is rustic. Like gravel floor with park benches for seats. Being solo I say at the bar. The first thing you need is a cocktail. I had a concoction of mezcal, mandarine, and hibiscus. Delicious. I thought about wine for dinner but you can have wine anywhere.

Dinner was calamari salad...calamari were tender and succulent. Main course was Caribbean lobster grilled and served over a watermelon/lemongrass/edible flower salad. Delicious. The flavor combo of the lobster with the flower will stay with me. For dessert I had corn ice cream. I mean effin' eh...corn ice cream.

Hartwoods thing is local and seasonal. So likely my meal won't be replicated.

From service, to ambiance to the food, a true delight. If you are in Tulum, particularly at a resort, make sure you plan a night around this gem. You won't be disappointed. I sure wasn't.

New York City, New York
“Simply Delicous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was my second time at Hartwood and I have to say that I was not disappointed. The food was better than I remember and the only thing that could have possibly even someone stood out over it, was the service (however it's a very close race). If you are looking for sustainable food that is nothing short of amazing, you have to try Hartwood. The passion can be felt from the moment you walk in to the second you leave. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone visiting Tulum. The whole experience was simply delicious!