“I miss my Tulum family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of My Tulum Cabanas

You added My Tulum Cabanas to your Saves list
My Tulum Cabanas
Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila km 7.5 | Entre Parayso y Tita Tulum, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #23 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Tulum
Barcelona, Spain
“I miss my Tulum family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.... This place is my home and the people there ..the owner yeli, Alberto, suzana are my family forever; I stayed for three weeks at cabanas my Tulum and will never stay anywhere else ... My cabana was super cute and rustic but still with running hot water, daily cleaning service, fresh sheets, towels... Breakfasts were delicious - Alberto is an amazing cook... It's a small complex of 6 cabanas tucked between the road and another complex so not ocean front but that proved to be an advantage -- it's just so nice to be able to walk 1 minute to shaded courtyard and hide from the squarching sun for couple hours... But more then anything the people there... Omg... So I was getting married on the beach in front of the cabanas - yelli helped me arrange everything from Temazcal, shaman, ceremony, dinner, flowers to her mom adjusting our wedding dress and pants and all from just wanting to share love. She would not accept any financial reward for her help ...actually since I was getting married with the sunrise the three women stayed up alllll night working on the flowers for decoration really was an amazing stay and I will recommend this place to everyone forever Thank you!!!! From the bottom of my heart

• Stayed November 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

Stayed here with a friend for 4 nights and were made to feel right at home. However, this isn't the place you want to be if you aren't good with either sleeping on the beach or cold showers. I found the room to be too hot / and with too many mosquitos / pests for comfort. The cold shower is actually quite refreshing but the water pressure is meh on the 2nd floor. That said, it was an absolutely incredible experience. Location is perfect and quiet. Locals are exceptionally nice.

Wi-Fi was great!

The toast, scrambled eggs, fruit, yogurt and coffee breakfasts are included and the best you'll have. Yeli, her son Valentín, and Alberto were the best. Yeli heard it was my friend's birthday and even brought her a cake! Alberto makes a mean veggie taco and is very protective of his guests ensuring their safety, from taxis to sleeping on the beach.

This place is adjacent to a more upscale spot that has an outdoor bar and serves some mean tacos. And be sure to have a coffee from the neighbor's front shop. Guillermo is one of a kind and makes a mean espresso.

Room Tip: Ask for the room closest to the beach. 2nd floor rooms get more of a breeze but the trade off is low...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

I stayed this past weekend with a friend. The place is definitely rustic and if you are the kind of person who likes camping you will have no problem here, that's all I will say about that. The hosts were so kind and gracious I wish I could give 10 stars for service. We were the only guests and felt really spoiled.

The location was great, lots of nice restaurants, little shops, and ATMs right around. I was expecting it to be more remote not being in town but we were so glad we stayed on the beach. There was plenty to do, though not crazy nightlife. If you walk down the road toward the biosphere about 5-10 minutes there is a little convenience store with snacks and things on the left side of the road.

I am basically totally paranoid about safety when I travel and it felt very secure because all the hotels are close together, there are always people out and about, and there are police and private security patrolling the hotel zone beach all night.

Breakfast was really good and filling. We had some zesty scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, plenty of bread, and coffee. We barely spent any money on food since we cleaned plate at breakfast and there was a really sweet little taco place right next door. There are more hammocks and comfy lounge chairs at the fancy hotel next door (same place as with the tacos) and they had no problem with us taking advantage of those as long as we bought a beer every now and then. The water was really clean and clear - I walked about 3 miles in either direction on the beach and the water was chock full of seaweed at the beaches at some much more expensive places (though I don't know if that's a normal thing, just my observation from being there four days). I was very happy with the beach at our hotel and it's just a few steps away from your door.

Beach towels and bath towels were supplied so no need to bring anything like that. Also the toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner) were really nice.

I would definitely recommend this place wholeheartedly. A few suggestions - bring some mosquito repellent, a small flashlight, and buy plenty of bottled water before you get there. They do supply fresh drinking water but I like to guzzle lots of water nonstop so was glad to have brought a couple gallons. Also get to know the hosts and the people who live and work right around, people there were amazingly nice and that was one of the best parts.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

Great location in the quiet quirky end of tulum but quick to bike to the resorts and ruins. With a small ally to the beach this is a lovely friendly place to stay. One night we watched a turtle come up from the ocean! The family that run it are fun and always helpful. The rooms were clean with mosquito nets and fans and they have awesome shampoo and soap. Breakfast was fresh and healthy. Ask the taxi from tulum to take you to mi tulum espanol for my.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights w/ a friend. Were in Tulum for a ~60 person wedding. Hung out in other peoples hotels. This hotel was the best deal out of all hotels that our group members booked.

Pros:
-significantly more affordable then most other hotels on the beach side, so you have to adjust your expectations.
-received personal service from Yeli and Denise, felt very comfortable, no safety concerns.
-small, made friends right away w/ other hotel guests.
-Yeli makes great food, and will let you use her kitchen for your catch of the day.
-centrally located in town, 30 ft from the ocean.
-atmosphere: home like, rescued dogs, bunny rabbit, Yeli's son Valentin... all roaming around generating positive energy : )

Con: (not really, because the place is so affordable and con1 applies to most hotels on the strip you will just pay more there)
-cabanas are about 30ft from the beach and don't get any ocean breeze (at least when the wind is 13knots and below), you have to be comfortable sleeping in high humidity w/ fans and mosquito nets only, most (even pricey) hotels on the strip don't have AC since Tulum beach town runs on generators and doesn't have city power.
-our bathroom didn't have a door, so hopefully its not your first date : )

Don't hesitate to book this if you are on a budget.
If you don't handle heat and can afford to spend more money I would try to get something literally right on the beach w/ beach facing doors or windows its much cooler at night, otherwise this is the best choice.

Room Tip: the closer to the beach the better...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

The children and I live in Mexico and we come here every year. It is simply the best. Best value, best location and the staff make it even better. Yeli is the owner and she does all she can to make your stay pleasant. You will not find friendlier people or a better location for the price. The breakfast is the most reasonably priced especially in an area that is very expensive and its all fresh. Fresh juice and fresh fruit. Eggs to your liking and plenty of coffee. We love it here and each year it gets better. We love My Tulum.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Oulu, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Excellent staff, perfect location, amazing atmosphere. We stayed at My Tulum Cabanas for six nights with my friend and were really happy about everything. The cabanas are quite simple but super cosy and clean, and the one we had was very spacious. Not to mention the people (and pets) - Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I have never met any other hotel owner as helpful and nice as Yeli, she's awesome. And so was Marco who was helping her while we stayed. Thank you both for all your help and making our holiday such a fantastic experience!

A perfect budget option for those who are looking for a unique and relaxed (yet clean and safe) place to stay at Tulum beach. This beautiful place has everything you need.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to My Tulum Cabanas? Share your experiences!