“Excellent ceviche” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 203 restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Description: local fish market at south end of town. Market open in the morning, restaurant open til the days catch is all gone.
“Excellent ceviche”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The locals recommended this place and said the ceviche was worth a visit, and that the prices were very affordable. They were right on the spot! We loved the ceviche - we had the mixed with fish, shrimp and octopus, and it really was excellent. The fish tacos were also very good and their picante sauce topped it off! Service was fast and professional. All for a very good price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
  • Polish first
Middletown, New Jersey
“Ok Food, Bad Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had heard they had good fish and wanted to try it, so we went there one evening for dinner, we asked the server about the whole fried fish & he said they were out of it, so i tried the tixnic fish & my husband had the garlic fish, it was ok but what upset me was when another family walked in after us & when they got their order they had the fried fish(2 orders of it) i was told was over, after asking the waiter he nonchalantly said it was 'Bigger Fish' so i told him what he did was wrong as he didn't even mention it to me. I guess the sad thing is i felt that because i wasn't white he didn't think to offer it to me while the other family was white. Sad that i have to say this but it happened to me. Never will i send anyone there again.

Visited May 2013
Tulum, Mexico
“Incredibly Fresh Fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Hi All,
I am very pleased to review this tipical Mexican restaurant. We have discovered it asking for information about real food to eat to a taxi driver. Without a doubt he replied "El Camello! Is where we eat". Amazing!
We where looking for skipping the touristic restaurants with expensive fish for 200 pesos and a fake atmosphere.
El Camello is authentic, full at any time of the day of a splendid mix of local and turists of any age. A simple tasteful menu and HUGE portion!!! A medium Chevice is enough for two for 95 pesos!! Delicious!
What is amazing is seeing fisherman bringing fish continuously, it is immediately cooked and served, not even time to freeze it due to the fact that is always full.
Delicious fresh fish guys! Do not miss it! Avenue Tulum right at the end if you come from Tulum ruins.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wow. Just wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stopped at El Camello for lunch one day and ordered ceviche mixto and tacos--fish and octopus. Number one, this is too much food for two people, even if you're hungry and on vacation. Number two, the entire meal was a life-changing experience. We may need to return to Tulum more regularly just for octopus.

The small ceviche could feed about five as an appetizer but there was no way we were leaving any behind. It was so perfectly fresh and so perfectly seasoned, the best we've ever had (and we have it every chance we get).

But the octopus tacos took it to an entirely different level. You can order them with a garlic butter sauce or with a more Mexican preparation. I took a flyer on the garlic butter (weird for tacos) and oh. my. god. They were one of the best things I've ever eaten.

We didn't manage to finish the fish tacos but rolled out of there totally stuffed and with huge smiles on our faces. They don't serve tacos for dinner, but I'm willing to bet that you'll find other things on the menu to make up for it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
santa barbara
“Good authentic local cuisine, taqueria style but better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We asked about a good place that locals frequent in Tulum for lunch and he recommended El Camello. It is your typical local restaurant, it's not the highest quality but the quality is good for authentic local food. It was a hot day so we got the medium ceviche and drinks which was more than enough for both of us. The fish is fresh and the ceviche was good, my girlfriend said it was the best she thinks she's ever had (and we eat a lot of ceviche). The fish was fresh and soft. It nearly melted in your mouth, there was a lot of tomatoes too. They serve chips, bean dip, a bowl of salsa, and bowl of lime habanero sauce (my favorite) which is soooo spicy but good! I just spoonfuls of the lime habanero sauce over my ceviche and ate it with the chips. On top of the good food was a fair price, we paid $125 pesos for the total meal, I left $150 pesos for the 15%-20% tip. Good place and would recommend for a stop. If you're expecting a fine dining experience don't expect much but if you like taqueria style food and want local, authentic seafood dishes that all the common locals would eat, this is the place. There's always locals here eating.

• Visited May 2013