“Like Nothing Else” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Tulum
Melbour
“Like Nothing Else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I have come home with photo's that look something from a travel magazine. This place is amazing. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, clean and have everything you could need. I loved the fact that you could sleep with a door open and a ceiling fan and did not have to sleep with stuffy A/C running all night to stay comfortable. They provide everything you could need and want. We loved the free bicycle hire as it enabled us to go out and about and try some of the local restaurants (make sure you go to El Tabone for a traditional feed!).
I inquired about their massage service and within 2 hours had a lovely qualified therapist giving me a fabulous deep tissue massage in the comfort of my room.
Can not recommend highly enough! If only it didn't take so long to get there from Australia, I'd be back every year!

Room Tip: We originally upgraded to an 'Arena' Suite but wanted a plunge pool so technically down grad...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was the first stop on our Mexican mini tour and it started things in a very good way. We had a Jungle suite and it was a gorgeous room with lots of wood and natural stone and big windows to let the outside in. Amazing beach with views to match with comfortable sun beds and the staff here are really good. They have got the balance of good service without over doing it just right. Food excellent too. This is the real side of Mexico we were hoping to see before heading to the commercial Cancun, and it was the best start to our holiday. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
BeTulum, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Dear "Hugo D",

Thanks for the nice words! We are happy to read that you had a great time here.

We hope to see you again soon on this beautiful part of the world.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We spent four amazing nights in a beautiful spacious room in the middle of the jungle. The service was exceptional and very personal and the food at the restaurant by the beach tastes delicious. We had heavy rain for two days, and were so happy to enjoy the hot jacuzzi in our room, surrounded by palm trees and tropical rain. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: try to get a room on the 2nd floor, as it has more privacy. Especially during the rainy season, beca...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
BeTulum, Online Communications Manager at Be Tulum Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Dear "Isa W",

Thank you for your lovely comments and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor!

There is something so magical about the rain in the jungle, and we are glad that you enjoyed it.

We hope to see you again soon on this beautiful part of the world.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Spent four nights in a Jungle Room and was completely happy with every aspect of the experience. Going in October means a more quiet, less crowded time, but that was just what I needed. The service from the moment of arrival was stellar. It's nice when people remember your name! This was a great alternative to the touristy large resorts of Cancun. This is a small hotel, nestled in the jungle to the ocean in buildings that do not detract from surrounding nature. Many room choices and I do not see how any of them would be a bad choice. I had a downstairs Jungle room and used the plunge pool daily - quite a treat! Housekeeping was perfect and everyone was so friendly and helpful. Ate at the restaurant daily for breakfast and once for dinner and enjoyed each meal. Will be back in 2012 for sure!

Dear "cdcart",

Thank you so much for your comments about your stay!

We hope you can visit us again soon on this beautiful part of the world. We wish our hotel to be, once again, just what you needed.

Boca Raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My husband and I chose this location (tulum) as we were looking for a place to get away from it all and truly relax, we wanted privacy, quiet, peace and as far away as possible from large crowds. There are plenty of places to chose from in this area (all price ranges) but I fell in love with Be Tulum the minute I found it through this website. The architecture/design of the hotel is breathtaking, modern yet cozy. It makes you not want to leave ever. The food is also pretty good, we mainly had breakfast and drinks, the menu is very international, several Peruvian dishes (pleasantly surprised to see tiraditos, ceviches and causa on the menu, missing pisco sours though:) not much Mexican options - however plenty of places nearby if you are craving some tacos.
housekeeping was pretty constant (2 x per day) and the service staff were friendly and
efficient, got the orders right and didn't have to wait long for any of them to come take your order.
The room was very spacious, we had the ocean suite, 2 terraces and a jacuzzi. A word of advice: there are 2 ocean suites, one of which does not have an unobstructed ocean view from the bedroom, only from the pool on rooftop. This suite offers lots privacy, although the water on the pool was a bit cold, it would have been nice to be able to sit on the pool at night. I wouldn't mind staying at a jungle/arena suite if I went back, would probably prefer a suite w a private pool vs. the jacuzzi.
There will be bugs, and salty water but that's because of the location, if you can't overlook this fact, maybe a nice high rise hotel in cancun will work better.
Another word of advice is to rent a car, driving in this part of Mexico is easy, safe and cheap. The hotel is situated at the end of a ~10 mile windy road (boca paila) full of trees/palms that provide lots of shade if u choose to bike ride or go for a jog. The road is packed with small hotels/restaurants/shops on both sides, all in similar style, cabanas (bungalows), and restaurants that seem like the Mexican version of tikki bar. You can go out to dinner in your flip flops and a sun dress, no need for high heels and make up on this side of town, that I loved!
The town of tulum is about 5 miles away from boca paila (the area w all the hotels) is a long noisy avenue with a bunch of businesses. Restaurants in this area are cheaper, less touristy if you want Mexican food, there's also Italian, Argentinian, ice cream, bakeries, etc. Don't expect a nice downtown area, but you can almost find anything you need here, including tours, banks, doctors, shops, supermarkets, cheaper spa treatments, etc.
In conclusion, Be Tulum is great hotel, probably the nicest one I saw as a I drove up and down the hotel area, it's secluded, private, quiet, amazing beach, good food & service.
FYI - no tv in the room but wifi works great and the bed was more comfortable than my own bed at home, wish I would have asked for the brand of mattress they use!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, depends whether u prefer private pool vs a jacuzzi, get the ocean suite if u wan...
Dear "sporto1677",

Thank you for your impressive review! It is very nice to read that you liked our hotel and had a far- away-from-large-crowds time with us. This is one of the reasons why we are here in the first place!

We look forward to welcome you again very soon on this beautiful part of the world!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I just spent 6 glorious days at Be Tulum as the last part of our honeymoon. We started out our trip at the Fairmont Mayakoba, and my only regret is that we didn't come to Be Tulum immediately! The experiences couldn't have been more different, and had we had any inkling of just how incredible Be Tulum was going to be, we wouldn't have wasted a second anywhere else. I have stayed at a lot of high end hotels, and I can honestly say that my experience at Be Tulum was unparallelled. The staff was incredible, but not annoyingly so like they can be at many large resorts. Carolina, Julio, Ana, Cesar, Laura, and the entire restaurant staff was just amazing. We left feeling like they were friends.

We looked at both a jungle suite and an arena suite, and the only discernible difference I could notice was that the arena suite was slightly closer to the ocean. Other than that the rooms were identical. To me, there isn't much difference between a 1 minute walk to the beach vs. a 30 second walk, so the jungle suite was fine by us!

On our last night there was a small issue with our room, and after realizing it couldn't be fixed we asked if we could switch to a new room. We were staying in a jungle suite and thus expected to be moved to a different jungle suite. To our complete surprise and absolute delight, they moved us to the deluxe ocean front suite so that we could enjoy our last night of our honeymoon in style. UNBELIEVABLE. If you really want to splurge, I can't think of a better way to do it.

The food was also amazing. They grow most of what they use in their own garden, so everything is local and organic and so fresh. We generally went out for dinner but had breakfast and lunch there almost daily, and every meal we had was delicious.

Another thing I loved about Be Tulum is that unlike most large resorts in the Riviera Maya that are filled predominantly with Americans and Canadians, BeTulum draws a very international clientele. As far as we know, my husband and I were the only Americans there during our stay as everyone we met was from Europe or South America.

Also, totally unimportant but worth mentioning, almost everyone that works there is incredible good looking! It was if we walked into a magazine photo shoot!

If what you are looking for is a fancy all inclusive with 900 rooms, Tulum in general is probably not the place for you. If you want to actually feel as though you are in Mexico and have an amazing and authentic experience on one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, then you will fall in love with BeTulum. It's magical.

My husband and I completely obsessed with this hotel, and we honestly can't wait to plan our next trip back.

Taxi Tip: The hotel is very far down the Tulum beach street, so if you want to go anywhere at night you will need to get a taxi as the lack of lights make the streets pitch black and hard to walk. If you call a taxi and have it come to the hotel it will be almost double the cost, whereas if you walk outside, you can usually get one within 10 minutes. Catching a taxi was between $20-$40 pesos while calling one was between $70-100 pesos.

Dear "SFSerena",

Thank you for your generous and incredible review! It's amazing to know you had a great honeymoon here. For us, such an important event is always a privilege to fulfill.

We hope to see you again soon on this beautiful part of the world!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for few days on the first leg of a vacation around Mexico.
Our room was large and comfortable and well equipped. The housekeeping was very good and consistent and management responded quickly to any requests. The breakfast was not the best we had in our life, but there are several restaurants around the beach where you can find better food.
Our beach view room had no beach view to speak of - all windows overlooked the garden or another building and it was the big issue we had with this hotel with the high price we payed ! The noise of the trucks and street some mornings was not what we were waiting for (the waves of the ocean sound much better ).
This hotel has a lot going for it but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone if you cannot have the beach front room and there are only two of those !!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Tulum Hotel? Share your experiences!