“Great place to eat, but would not stay or have an event here!” 3 of 5 stars

Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Tulum-Boca Paila, Tulum 77780, Mexico   |
Ranked #38 of 81 Hotels in Tulum
San Diego, California
“Great place to eat, but would not stay or have an event here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently had a wedding at Las Ranitas. Before I get into details, I want to add that the wedding day turned out beautiful! And the staff at Las Ranitas is great! And the food was AMAZING, thank you Chef for your impeccable food!

Las Ranitas is not a budget hotel or cheap venue to host any event. Do not go there thinking you can negotiate to meet your budget, because that will not happen. They may give you some small offers here and there, but it still comes out to a very expensive bill. We were very aware of this when we selected Las Ranitas to be our hotel and our wedding venue. However, with this said, it is not a FAIR hotel at all and will not help you with any wrongdoings on their part. We were not trying to ‘cheat’ Las Ranitas, but rather wanted fair outcomes to their wrongdoings. The only negative feedback I have is regarding the General Management.

We decided to book out the whole hotel to host our wedding. We made these plans a year before the wedding. However, as soon as we arrived, we were told that they had overbooked and we had to kick out three of our guests. Now, the reason why we booked out the whole hotel was so our close family and friends could be with us on this joyful celebration for the weekend. To ask that we kick out 3 families meant that these families, even if they booked last year, had to spend their time at a nearby hotel and not get to experience the joy of staying with the wedding party. Yes, they were welcome to ‘come by’ whenever, but we know its not the same. During this process, the staff made comments to some of our guests who did not want to move on why they couldn’t ‘help out the hotel.’ Excuse me? But this was not the guests’ problem. This whole ordeal brought great stress to us, the wedding hosts. We wanted to make sure our guests experienced a great time and not hassle and judgment right when they arrive. Conclusion to this ordeal, they wouldn't compensate the guests that had to be removed from the hotel (they offered free breakfast on the last day to the guests, but those guests were leaving early to the airport so they couldn’t take advantage of this). The parents and brothers of the bride and groom decided to leave the hotel since they didn’t want to frustrate any of their close friends and families. This was the sad part that our parents/siblings had to leave and yet, the hotel does nothing but blames their system change. Which in my profession as an IT Consultant, is not a valid excuse to any client.

Other outcomes of that ordeal were people had to be moved around and did not get the room they paid for which Las Ranitas did not even want to refund the difference! Again, it all comes down to fairness. We are not trying to cheat the hotel, but if you pay for a bigger room and get one of the smaller rooms to accommodate the Hotel’s issue of overbooking, they should have paid the difference without any arguments or questions.

I was told that Las Ranitas is under new management and workers are actually leaving since they do not agree with the new management. I first hand experienced the unfairness and the judgments from Las Ranitas management. I should have not since I was the customer who rented out the whole hotel and was hosting my wedding there. Again, not cheating the hotel – I didn’t even ask for the honeymoon suite to be free, we paid for it without question. Yes, maybe I am a little upset about that cause I know other hotels will give the bride/groom free room after booking out the whole hotel. But at that point, I did not want anything more to do with Las Ranitas.

In conclusion, go to Las Ranitas to eat, but I wouldn’t stay there or have an event there. I have more issues that we experienced with Las Ranitas that will be too much to write about it here. If you are interested in having a wedding there, feel free to message me as I can give you some tips of what not to do.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms near the lobby, you will hear workers early morning and your window is exposed...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
Moline, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Las Ranitas beautiful and relaxing! Most importantly though, the staff is amazing. Onil, Carlos and the rest of the team make for a very enjoyable experience.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel in Tulum...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Las Ranitas is more "resorty" than other bungalow villages around it, has more of a beach frontage, and if I had to guess, aims for the wedding and family business more than for "quiet solitude" type of environment. Rooms are fine: private, reasonably well appointed, good bedding, things generally work as well as they can work in the environment one subscribes to when choosing Tulum versus, say, a macro-hotel in Riviera Maya. Breakfast in the restaurant is excellent, priced on par with everyone else. Alcohol is expensive and priced generally twice higher than the neighbors ($18 margarita? $50 for the cheapest Chilean wine bottle?). Never tried the dinner: the outdoor restaurant is too windy to sit in at night,the indoor part is uninspiring, and competing restaurants, especially independents on the jungle side of the road look far more appealing, and/or are doing far better job promoting themselves.
Overall service is good and competent. It is indeed somewhat more "institutional" than others, which is actually a good thing, as far as I am concerned.
Internet and wi-fi worked only in the reception area, and quite poorly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am really shocked by the bad review below -- we hosted a wedding for 97 guests here in February, and our experience at Las Ranitas was the complete opposite of the person below. We found the entire staff totally dedicated, they bent over backwards to make us and our guests comfortable. Many of our guests commented to us how impressed they were by the hardworking staff. We threw a whirlwind of events there and each one was unforgettable. Yes, it is expensive; use your negotiation skills. But the quality is unmatched. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hold my wedding anywhere else. As for there being no A/C in the older rooms, that is to be expected in Tulum, and actually honored as part of the eco-friendly atmosphere. If A/C is an expectation, then Tulum is probably not for you, as only a few places offer it. Las Ranitas actually does have A/C in the new rooms, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm not sure if our room had it our not, we never looked for it as the amazing ocean breeze is the reason we come to Tulum. Pictures of our gorgeous room and view are attached.

Overall, if you are just looking for a hotel room, Las Ranitas is best for those with a big budget who would otherwise stay someplace like Be Tulum -- the prices of the new rooms at Las Ranitas are comparable, but the rooms are much nicer and the palapa restaurant, pool, and long expanse of beach are nicer too, in my opinion. If you have a smaller budget, I agree that other places have more competitive prices for basic rooms, and in that case I would recommend Rosa del Viento or Cabanas Tulum. It really depends on your budget and what you are looking for. I think I can say with confidence that I have a very good sense of what's on offer in Tulum, as my husband and I looked at basically every hotel on the strip and went inside to see rooms in many of them as well.

On the other hand, if you are throwing an event for a large group, I think Las Ranitas is the only place to do it. Ana y Jose has lower prices, but actually Las Ranitas was willing to negotiate with us and bring everything within our budget, and I think the venue is really unmatched. There isn't a spot in Tulum that is more beautiful than their palapa restaurant, nor a kitchen that can turn out such amazing food for large crowds. Pablo, the chef, is a gem. And most importantly, Angelina, the wedding coordinator, is like a miracle worker. We will never forget everything she and the Las Ranitas staff did to make our dreams come true. Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving us memories that will last a lifetime. We hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: Although the new rooms are gorgeous and have A/C, we still think Coqui 3 is the most beautiful! We...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The service is terrible and it's way overpriced for the quality of rooms (they are outdated, no air-con or outlets lots of bugs etc). The price does not even include breakfast which most of the other hotels do. The only great thing about this hotel is their beautiful palapa, lobby area. Otherwise stay somewhere else in Tulum. We have been going for years and discovered many better places.

They ripped off a few of our wedding guest and over charged us for several things having to do with our wedding. They refuse to send a refund and we are currently battling with our credit card companies to get the money back. A very unpleasant experience overall. We should have backed out when we went for a visit 1 year ago and hated it then.

Room Tip: Supposedly they are renovating some of the bathrooms - ask for one of the newer rooms and maybe it w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We've been coming to Tulum for the past 10 years and have seen it evolve every year (for better or for worse). Las Ranitas has always held a special place for us since it's the first hotel we stayed at in Tulum many years ago. Since that first visit, we've tried different hotels along the beach but decided, after last year's trip, to stay at Las Ranitas once again. It is under different ownership than the original family-owned resort and the new owners have definitely made the effort to "step it up" in terms of bringing in a more chic resorty feel. There is a full service restaurant built on a beautiful open deck overlooking the beach. Rooms are still eco-chic (minimal electricity, no TVs or phone) and super quiet and relaxing. We stayed for 4 days in the beginning of February and had a wonderful stay.

We arrived after a somewhat annoying car rental situation - DO NOT RENT FROM DOLLAR AT AIRPORT! They are complete scammers (online quote was 1/3 of actual) and complete grifters (tried to sell me a time share! Car had NO radio! Claimed I caused damage AFTER I returned the car!) Anyway...

Marianna, the concierge, was so delightful and friendly once we arrived. She recommended a great Yoga place near the hotel (Yoga Shala - AMAZING), suggested some different restaurants than we normally ate at, and was just very welcoming and helpful! Really great service and totally helped make our stay so wonderful. Also showed us the new Yoga studio they are building - GORGEOUS!! We stayed in an upstairs room facing the beach with terrace. Great view, super quiet, and eco-chic. The decor is minimal but perfect for a laid back holiday. Bathroom is clean and eco - if you're looking for a bath/shower luxury experience, this is not it as Las Ranitas is GREEN. Had an amazing although EXPENSIVE lunch at the hotel. Food is very good although watch out for the specials - they are costly. Loved the simple Governer's Tacos!

Beach itself is pretty amazing. Since the hotel is a bit further down the road, it is definitely not as crowded as others. It has been amazing to see the transformation of Tulum over the years. Still relaxing and quiet but definitely not the "private beach" feeling of years past. We were lucky that it didn't rain at all during our stay so had lots of sun. Again, this hotel is a bit further down so having the car was helpful to get to other restaurants and into the "town". It is quiet and low-key which is the kind of vacation we like.

Overall, we loved our stay and love this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in Las Ranitas for 1 week and whilst I can't disagree that it's a perfect setting for a relaxing holiday, the hotel itself felt 'soulless' to us. The restaurant has no atmosphere and the prices are high - much higher than those nearby, where we ate each day. The only meal we had in Las Ranitas was lunch one day and it was fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. We rarely saw anyone dining at hotel.
Our room was ok, but overlooked and we felt we had no privacy, as sitting outside our room (no 16), we were in view of the restaurant area.
There was a wedding whilst we were there and during that time, we felt as though we were intruding and not comfortable at all.
The staff were all friendly.
Overall, we had a good week, but not due to the hotel or it's services as we ate elsewhere for all meals bar one. The beach setting is the main attraction. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LasRanitas, Community Manager at Las Ranitas Eco-boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Louiseoxf:

We appreciate your chosen Las Ranitas on your visit to this magical place. Your opinion is very important to help us to improve our services.

Regards.