“Very Nice Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ginger

Ginger
Polar street between Avenidas Satelite and Centauro | next to Hotel Addy; one street west of main avenue, Tulum 77780, Mexico
984-116-4033
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 204 restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Ginger has moved closer to the center of town, one street from the main avenue of Tulum and is on the same block as Hotel Addy. The fish is fresh, the pasta is homemade, and the service is personal. Ginger has received the Fodor's Choice Award for the best restaurant in Tulum every year since 2010! Join us for live music every Wednesday from 7 to 9 pm.
New York City, New York
“Very Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went to Ginger as a runner up when we couldn't get reservations at Cetli. I was really bummed that we weren't going to my first choice, and even a bit more so when I saw how small the menu was at Ginger...but then the surprise...the food is excellent. Our party of four loved every bite of the chicken thighs with Maya spices and the steak with my mother's salsa. Delicious. Ordered dessert and coffee and very happy with each of those as well. Very sleek and cool dining room and reasonable prices. Go, go, go.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Excellent Food and Modern Vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

After two weeks of Yucateca food and rustic-funky vibes (from chic-Italian to rustic-Mayan) it was time for a place that was a bit more sleek. Ginger (which is like a bad Thai place back in my home, NYC) fit the bill. Mexican Modern is how I'd describe the food. We ordered the Steak With Mama's Sauce (amazing, tender) and the chicken thighs with Yucatan spices. Both dishes had high quality ingredients, were superbly prepared, and were inventive enough to be interesting to someone (me) tired of Mexican food. And I love Mexican food of all kinds, colors, and from all states. Cooking this good would make a hit neighborhood restaurant in my home town.

The cocktails were superb. I had the Guero Guayaba and it was a well-crafted house cocktail. Tequila, cranberry, guava, and lime could be a train wreck, but they turned it into something delicious.

The restaurant design is sleek and minimal, like someone who liked Mexican architect Luis Barragan designed it. Not too high-concept, but also not rustic in any way.

Value: amazing. 4 cocktails, 4 main dishes, 1 dessert, bottle of water, and two coffees: $76 USD. And they take credit cards.

I've been to Tulum twice and haven't gotten here. Had I known, I would have come here earlier. It's not on the main strip, which makes it that much better. The entrance courtyard feels calm and inviting. The culinary trip inside has me looking forward to my next visit to Tulum.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tulum, Mexico
“The Discovery of a Great treasure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Nestled between the streets of Tulum Pueblo, this venue is not on the main strip, and that just gives it a hidden treasure feel to it,
Its minimalistic and modern look is sophisticated without being pretentious, the food is excellent without a shame. the staff knows how to complement all this with great service.
If on a special occasion you can speak to Javier the owner and chef to prepare a menu before hand to impress your loved one.

Visited March 2012
“Hip and relaxed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had a great meal, he had grilled fish and I had pasta with pesto and grilled veggies. I also had their ginger mojito, which was phenomenal. It's unfortunate that it's off the main strip, as it was empty when we got there, others arrived later. Our waiter was fantastic! We will definitely go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“One of my favorite places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Ginger is definitely one of my favorite places to eat in Tulum. The ceviche, the salads, the fried camembert...I've tried everything on the menu and I will never stop going back...love it! Drinks and service are awesome. Friendly staff.

Visited August 2012