“Great steaks and way too much food!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Austin
“Great steaks and way too much food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have visited the Buenos Aires in Playa del Carmen many times over the past years and found that location to be high quality in a area filled with quality restaurant choices. On a recent trip to Tulum we found Buenos Aires in the town or puebla that is the same restaurant.
The good news is the quality is the same but the important news is to be careful how you order, they serve very large portions! I ordered a ribeye that came with two sides - potato and veggie and added a salad. My wife had a mixed grilled brouchette of beef tenderloin with grilled veggies and potato.
My salad arrived first and it was the size of a steak platter that easily could have fed four diners. We ate as much as we wanted and boxed the rest. Cost was $13US so I should have asked for a half order. Now I know, order half and split.
My USDA Angus Ribeye said 275 grs which meant nothing to me the $20US price seemed about what we had paid in PDC at a good steakhouse. It arrived and I immediately cut it in half, way too much steak for me. Plus baked potato which I cut in half and grilled veggies which were too much also. So I took home half the food that was served.
My wife's brouchette was tenderloin and shrimp and she was able to finish all the shrimp and half the tenderloin and boxed the rest. We had enough leftovers for breakfast tacos and lunch the next day.
We are headed back to Tulum in Sept and we plan to eat at Buenos Aires in puebla again but will order wisely and split the cost in half and still get plenty of food. Will try the arrachera nacional next time at $11US at it looked great on the plate at the next table.
Bread, chimichurra, dressings and sauces were all included and tasty. Bottle of wine from Argengtina was reasonable a Malbec.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fairfax, Virginia
“Always a good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have been to Tulum about 8 or so times and I try and visit this restaurant every time I go. They have really wonderful steak and the chimmichuri sauce and the onions they serve with bread are to die for. I just returned to Tulum with my family and they also enjoyed the food. It is very fresh and the drinks are very yummy. The ambiance is great as the place has ceiling fans blowing all the time. Most places in Tulum do not have air conditioning so being in a place with a breeze is a plus. I really love this place and I heard that they now have a little place right on the beach in the cabana region. I will try this next time.

• Visited August 2012
Beaconsfield
“Consistently great food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have visited this restaurant twice now while visiting Tulum. Once was last October and again in early August. Both visits were for lunch. If you like high quality beef cooked on an open charcoal grill and served with a selection of beautifully grilled vegetables then this is the place to go. The half portions are ample. My 19 year old son just managed to finish a full portion and declared it the best steak he had ever had. Service was very friendly and was made even better with the offer of a complimentary shot of choice to finish.

• Visited August 2012
Indiana, USA
“Dissapointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

As an Argentine I was expecting much more from this restaurant. Empanadas were good but the food is bland and lacks authenticity. My husband had a tasteless fish and myself a milanesa--a typical Argentine dish that even 12-year olds can cook in Argentina. Mine was too oily, the papa al horno was an Americanized microwaved potato and the poor green salad came with a bland mayo dressing rather olive oil and vinegar/aceto that is common in Argentina.
Service was good though.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Utah
“Try the vacio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We have eaten at this place many times, and I am always tempted to the order the special Argentinian steak called the vacio. There is nothing in the US that even comes close in my opinion. The regular portion the is served with grilled vegetable is ample for two people particularly if you split a big salad and some side dishes. I heartily recommend the papas fritas provencales-french fies seasoned with parsley and fresh garlic. Yum. Order a glass or a bottle of Malbec. Splurge a little. You are on vacation. A comparable meal in a US steak house would run you more than $100. Service is great and is a 10% addition on your bill. Of course no one complains if you leave a bit extra. They take MC or VISA too.

• Visited April 2012