“Hotel crepes, more like thin pancakes” 1 of 5 stars

05219841334507
Improve this listing
Ranked #72 of 252 Restaurants in Tulum
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Hotel crepes, more like thin pancakes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2015 NEW

Le Bistro used to be one of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch in Tulum (I live here). Unfortunately, I went a couple of months ago and had the worse crepes I've ever experienced. They were more like what you see in the many hotels in the area, rather than a true thin french crepe. I'm guessing they changed cooks, and the new staff has no clue as to what a crepe is. I've been to France many times, and our friends, who are from Mexico, live in Paris for a while. This was their visit, and I doubt they will ever go back, nor will I. My point is, I think we know the difference between a good crepe, and thin pancakes.

To make matters worse, when I mentioned it to the waitress, I basically got a shrug of her shoulders as she carted off the plates of uneaten crepes. Note to owner/manager, if a guest orders crepes, and the plates cone back with crepes uneaten, you should wonder what is happening.

By the way, I delayed in writing the review because I have basically written you off, and decided it could be someone else's bad experience. But, since I had really liked your restaurant for so long, I felt it was appropriate to share our experience. You can choose to do what you want with my feedback, improve or shrug it off. As for me, I will no longer be recommending your restaurant.

Tulum, Mexico
“Le Bistro 3 estrellas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2015

Great food, prompt service, friendly multilingual staff. I had the special of the day, a chicken cutlet with spinach wrapped in bacon, served with a Delicious spinach reduction for a sauce,and pan fried potatoe chips, light n crispy.My companion had the cheese and mushroom crepes, very light n fluffy. To drink, I had a Jamica a local juice made from hibiscus flowers.
yes I did say wrapped in bacon..!
total cost with tip, 250 peso, Bueno, Bonito, Barrato!

• Visited May 2015
Hebron, Connecticut
“Could Have Been Paris !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2015

We are fans of authentic French bistro food which is almost impossible to find in New England. The closest to us would be Montreal or Quebec City. Still testing the waters on our second night in Tulum, we chose Le Bistro. After ordering drinks the waiter brought a plate of bread with a dipping sauce. After one bite, we both looked at each other and said this place is going to be good. It was and so was a lunch and another evening meal. The very personable chef/owner is from Normandy ands successfully translated the bistro-experience to Mexico.

The waitstaff is excellent. We ate on the street side at night and in the garden out back for lunch. We had the opportunity to chat with the owner both nights. That just added to the experience. Le Bistro is a gem and a must place to dine in Tulum. We will definitely be back next winter.

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Delicious specialty pizzas and snacks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2015

Delightful garden setting for savory light meals. The freshest ingredients for fruity margaritas. Friendly and fun staff.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious French and European food ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

Here you can get a really good cup of coffee and some delicious meals during the whole day to a really fair price. It is a relaxed environment where you can bring your laptop and hangout for hours. It is a bit away from the main road which make the place quiet and the. It is close to other nice cafes. People are chilling and enjoying the warm weather of Tulum...