“Excellent Food, Pleasant Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #85 of 223 Restaurants in Tulum
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Denver, Colorado
“Excellent Food, Pleasant Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We've been to Charlie's twice now, once a year ago, just for dessert, and a few weeks ago for dinner. Both times, we've found very high quality food and enjoyed the kind of latter day hippie atmosphere and entertainment, so that now we'd say that Charlie's and Cetli are our two favorites in the town so far. My grilled fish was fresh and delicious, and my husband, who's fussy about rellenos, loved Charlie's version.Honestly I don't remember if the service was slow or not. We weren't ravenous when we got there, so we weren't too impatient for the food, plus there's almost always something to watch on the stage or among your fellow diners. Other reviews have called the place touristy, and I guess it is, but my impression is that it's also a community center, maybe especially for ex-pats living in Tulum. For example, when we got there for an early dinner this year, two young girls were getting a dancing lesson (Latin? Belly? Can't remember) on the stage for half an hour or so, then gave a little demonstration of what they learned. Although the entertainment is kind of fun, I personally prefer sitting where we sat a year ago, back in a corner away from the stage. It's not as noisy, and those tables have more of a courtyard feel.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oakland, California
“Fun place. Good food. Worth checking out.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

I ate at Charlies twice because a friend of mine is friends with the owner. I love the design of the place. They have a stage that features live entertainment from Flamenco to the Mexican version of garage bands. The setting is nice both indoor and outdoors. The service was pretty good, but everyone seemed a little stressed including Charlie. I think mainly because they have a lot of tables and it can fill up in there and tourists can be very demanding which conflicts with the laid back style of the local culture. The kitchen is open air and really cool. The food was well prepared and substantial. The salsa was habanero heaven for some ... hell for me. The maragaritas were STRONG, sour, and not to my liking, but my friend loved it. After having both lunch and dinner there, the food was overall tasty and well prepared. I wish they had a sit-down bar. It would have been fun to enjoy the entertainment and just have drinks.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

Charlie's has a great little garden behind the restaurant for dining. Be sure to bring repellent during the mosquito months, but it's a nice quiet little place for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Centennial, CO
“We REALLY enjoyed it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

It's been a couple years, but I hate to see all the negative reviews go unanswered. We went for a late lunch and beers on the back patio and it was one of the most relaxing, enjoyable afternoons of our trip. I recall the service was a bit slow, so if you're in a hurry to get somewhere it might not be the best experience. I don't think we ever ran out of beer, though.

Finally, I made a point of trying the grilled fish, Veracruz-style whenever we went out to eat on that trip (maybe about 6 restaurants). It's a common menu item and one of my favorites. Charlie's clearly had the best veracruz sauce. Food and drink prices were also very reasonable.

Vancouver, Canada
“Walked out hungry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

We went to Charlie's for the great courtyard and live music. It would have been a great evening, if not for the poor service that had my dishes delivered to the table and 30 minutes later, we had not been able to get a waiter over to find out what happened to my husband's missing order. The response we finally got was "I wrote it down, but they didn't make it." He was so hungry and angry that we asked for the check, which 15 minutes later hadn't been brought. We paid at the front and walked out.