“dream honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Pez at Turtle Cove

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
El Pez at Turtle Cove
Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Tulum
charlotte nc
“dream honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

honestly there are no words to describe the experience we had at El Pez and Tulum in general. I've traveled extensively and this is THE best hotel - here are the reasons why, first and foremost the sheer simple beauty of this hotel we stayed in a jr suite, right on the beach, oceanfront does not even describe it! This isn't for everyone I'll admit. There's no AC but you would be hard pressed to find that in Tulum beach. There's an ocean breeze and it works just fine. The room is beautiful it was exactly the kind of non resort style decor i wanted for my honeymoon the pictures don't even do it justice! The balcony was beautiful! The beach is rocky but a 5 minute walk takes you to a perfect stretch of beach. Every other aspect of the quaint charming grounds is perfection! The staff are what really push this place over the edge, Michael and Julia were there waiting when we checked in. My husband had thrown his back out and they were so gracious and accomodating making the check in a breeze. We were handed cold towels and a coco-hito, the house special cocktail and being a bar owner i can say i want to steal the recipe! Julia drove home to get tiger balm for my husbands back! Beyond good service this staff is like a family and everyone does everything! Wilbur in the bar/ restaurant was amazing! Derek booked us bikes refered us to amazing eats and other local attractions and the level of dedication to service here is unsurpassed! We immediately felt like old friends! The breakfast included in the room was out of this world! I highly recommend getting bikes b/c you can bike everywhere in tulum w no trouble! Honestly I wish i could give more than 5 stars!!!! Best decision ever to stay here and we will be back many more times I'm sure!!!

Room Tip: go with the Jr Suite top floor for best view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez at Turtle Cove, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hi Lora!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a sweet review! The staff especially appreciates your recognition of them and all of their hard work! We really do strive to make everyone feel at home here, but with you guys it was especially easy because it truly did feel like old friends from the start. We're so glad that Nate's back healed quickly so you guys could really enjoy all that Tulum has to offer. We hope the people of Charlotte who are lucky enough to visit Dharma enjoy the Coco-jito! :) It was such a pleasure to have you here for your honeymoon and we hope you will be back many times to visit us again!

Julia & Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at El Pez for our 25th anniversary. We were both so stressed from our hectic life when we arrived and we thought that we had stumbled into heaven. From the moment we walked and were offered a cocktail and a cold cloth, until we left 5 days later we were completely spoiled. We were beginning to feel like we were at home.

This is a very quiet place with beautiful scenery and the sound of crashing waves to lull you to sleep. There is a lovely beach a 10 minute walk away and lots of great restaurants along that strip of beach. We very much enjoyed the food at El Pez. It was simple Mexican fare in a lovely setting...Perfect.

I would like to thank Julia and Michael and each and every member of their team for making our stay so very special. Words cannot express our gratitude. On the night of our anniversary they had a beautiful table set with lanterns, flowers and champagne overlooking the ocean. It was truly magical. The meal was outstanding featuring lobster tails bigger than anything I have ever seen. Just perfect.

This is a quit simple place, perfect if you want to unwind and get away from it all. We will be back for sure.

Dianne,

Thank you so much for your review! We were so happy to be able to help you celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary! That is such a wonderful milestone and we were delighted to make it a romantic and memorable one for you both. We were also thrilled to hear that you felt spoiled and right at home during your stay-what a great compliment! Thank you again for staying with us at El Pez! We hope you are able to return and celebrate many more anniversaries to come!

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

As a self-proclaimed seasoned traveler (I've logged an average of 100k miles/year for the past 3 years), I ae differentiating amenities and conveniences which make a stay truly memorable, and this is what separates Pez from the rest of the pack as the best in the Tulum area.

Julia and Michael are superstar hosts, with a knack for personalisation and custom service. From the fresh local coffee delivered in a wooden basket to my door every morning, to the ceramic fish that is outside my room made to dip my sandy feet in, Pez has every detail down!

This is Tulum at its best: freshly prepared artisanal cuisine (the fish tacos, guac, huevos rancheros, key lime pie, and French toast are a must!), incredibly helpful and smiley staff, Wilbur's delicious cocojitos, the little wooden bench facing turquoise-jade waters, bright punchy pillows , ornate woodwork and adirondack style chairs in my cabana, impeccable presentation of food and drinks accompanied by friendly, world-class service and phenomenal, first-class views of the Atlantic.

Some details I didn't even notice right away, like a painting of a beautiful black bird on my preferred seating table, seaside facing, of course.

Thank you, Pez, for raising the bar in boutique travel!

• Stayed October 2012
mnjbitton12, Manager at El Pez at Turtle Cove, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Hi Jeanne!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your fellow travelers! We were so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us here at El Pez. The staff especially appreciates your wonderful feedback on their service and smiley faces! :) We recognize that they are one of our best assets here and are truly what separates us from the rest, so thank you for recognition of them. We also enjoyed reading all of the small details that you mentioned-you really have an eye for detail. Thank you again for the excellent review! We hope to see you again very soon!

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

With hotels it’s always the little things the make them either amazing or abominable. When I first arrived at El Pez on a sweltering afternoon, I was welcomed by the managers, Michael and Julia, who and handed me two things right away: a cold wet hand towel to wipe my face and an even colder Margarita on the house. I knew then I was in good hands.

Set on the beach road portion of Tulum El Pez makes a Corona commercial look like a life sentence in a Foxconn iPhone factory. Fronted by its well-kept white sand beach, the ocean and rock outcroppings, it offers a view worthy of a travel poster for Paradise. The resort itself is a short walk to superb restaurants along the beach road, like El Tabano and Posada Margherita, or a short cab jaunt to others a bit further down the road, such as Casa Jaguar. If you're willing to rent a bike, you can pedal to the spectacular seaside ruins in the Tulum archaeological zone, just a few miles north of El Pez. .

The hotel offers two types of accommodations - regular rooms and six two-story cabanas (with one party per each story). I took a 2nd story cabana, done in a mix of unrefined woods and festival colors that I like to call "elegant rustic." The room was outfitted with two ceiling fans (which are barely needed- the ocean breezes cool the rooms like someone's waving a giant palm frond over you all day long), a large balcony with a sunbed, and gossamer mosquito netting around the king-size bed. The bathroom was spacious with a large shower stall, an abundance of bath and hand towels, and plenty of counter space for all your toiletries. There was a sizable closet for clothes as well as additional space to hang more clothing near the bed. To safeguard your valuables, there was also an easy-to-use security safe. The daily maid service was excellent, keeping the room as clean as it was beautiful.

While the natural illumination at resorts is usually of a quality Impressionists would have killed for, the artificial version is often a little less impressive. Here, the lighting was especially good in the bathroom, something other resorts falter at. The hot water was abundant, and the water pressure itself was strong, two qualities that typically come up short in seaside accommodations' plumbing. The abundance of electrical outlets near the bed and the additional daybed were extremely useful when you have, like I do, a laptop and phone to keep plugged in. While I was told before I arrived that the wi-fi signal would be weak in the room, it was strong for my first 7 days there, then inconsistent the last 3, However, the signal in the dining area was always strong and made for easy online access .

There were never fewer than 3 bottled waters in my room, and the staff was always happy to grab you another any time you wanted one. Another pleasant touch was the teal-colored basket of beach towels.

Each morning started off with a picnic basket left at your door. Inside was a thermos of fresh-brewed coffee I sipped on the balcony, watching the sun rise over the Caribbean, the surf break on the beach, and the fish dive bomb into the sea for their breakfast.

When I eventually worked up the ambition, I went down to the dining room/commons area for the breakfast that's included with the room. The morning meal included coconut granola, yogurt, fresh fruit (e.g., cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, papaya, mango, etc), and juices made from those fresh fruits on the spot. Omelets are also available, with basically any kind you want, from veggie to ham and cheese to bacon or any other permutation of eggs that strikes you. The nighttime dinner menu was mostly salads, steaks, chicken, and seafood, all of which were of a uniform high quality. (On a scale of 1-10, the guacamole and pico de gallo ranked an 11.) The bartenders whipped up their their libations with skill and panache, but especially excelled at their signature drink, the "coco-lito," a mojito made with coconut water.

The restaurant/commons itself was more like a quirky lounge, a wide open space with eclectic furniture: distressed tables (my favorite was one with a ebony-purple etching of a crow that looked straight out of Carlos Castaneda and Don Juan) and chairs, couches, divans, and a cabinet full of books and board games. The space was delightful for early morning views of the ocean or late evening vistas of the emerging stars.

More picturesque than practical, the beach immediately in front of El Pez is a little too rocky for swimming. But all that's required for a dip is to walk about 100 yards south to a miles-long, sensuous strip of white sand and turquoise water that will dazzle you. If the ocean's a bit choppy, you can always use the resort's private pool.

Should you want to dive, snorkel, kayak, bike, tour ruins, or swim with whale sharks, Michael and Julia will help you arrange any kind of excursion you like. Their helpfulness is part of what make El Pez an oasis that leaves you as refreshed as a spa, and feeling as new as tomorrow.

Room Tip: If you can splurge,the cabanas offer the most space, luxury, and views. as well as the most privacy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Charles,
We cannot begin to tell you how honored we were when we read your review! It means so much to us and our entire staff that you would take your time to write such an eloquent & detailed review! You are correct that it is the small details that make all the difference and it is rewarding to know that those things we strive so hard to provide do not go unnoticed by our guests. Having guests like yourself is what really makes this job so enjoyable and satisfying for all of us here at El Pez. It was truly our pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope you are able to return very soon!

Best Regards,
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed three nights and I couldn't have been treated any better. Their staff, Derek, Antonio, Wilbert and Rubin are the best. They made our stay very special. The room #3 had a great view and wonderful ocean breeze. Not to mention clean and spacious. Breakfast which is included was outstanding. Dinner was so good we ate there all three nights. As the title of this review stated we hated to leave but we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez at Turtle Cove, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Chas,
Thank you so much for the thoughtful review! Derick, Antonio, Wilbert & Ruben were so excited to hear you mentioned them specifically-what a great compliment! We want you to know that we truly appreciate guests like you & enjoy reading your feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. We hated for you to leave too, but hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

10 reasons I love El Pez. 1. The staff (sweetest ever). 2. The coffee basket at your door every morning. 3. The location (a short walk to awesome restaurants). 4. The rooms (clean, bright and breezy). 5. The beach bag of towels in your room (and unlimited fresh waters). 6. The beach (just a two minute walk). 7. Board games in the lobby 8. Bikes! 9. Fresh juices. 10. Most quiet and peaceful place I have ever stayed. Will be coming back here every year.

Hi Alice!
Thank you so much for sharing all the reasons you love El Pez! Reviews like yours are why we enjoy what we do so much! It was such a pleasure to have you & your hubby stay with us & we are already looking forward to your return-hope it is soon!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We spent 4 nights here recently on the second leg of our honeymoon trip and absolutely fell in love from the start. Michael and Julia are terrific! My wife broke her toe while there and they ran to their home to get her some ibuprofen and were constantly checking to see if she needed anything. The staff there is top notch too. Great food and great drinks. We cannot wait to go back. I can't recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: Opt for the cabanas if you can afford it. Well worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ElPezTulum, Manager at El Pez at Turtle Cove, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Hi Corey!
We can't tell you enough how much we appreciate your sweet review! You & Rori were such a delight to have stay with us! We were so glad to see that despite breaking her toe, you guys had a great time and maintained such a positive attitude. We can't wait until you are able to come visit us and beautiful Tulum again! Keep in touch!

Warmest Regards,

Julia & Michael

Been to El Pez at Turtle Cove? Share your experiences!