“A special treat!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Tucson, Arizona
“A special treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

What a wonderful experience. We were staying at one of the casitas on the property this past summer, during the off season. I was preparing to propose to my soon to be wife, and wanted to do something special.

The restaurant was closed for the season. However, I had heard of Stefan's amazing skills in the kitchen and managed to track him down on the beach. He is as described in other reviews, a very refined and sophisticated chef. He knows how to do it right and is a stickler for details. A real foodie's kind of chef.

I asked him what he could do to help me out, and we came up with a great plan of him setting up a surprise lunch with champagne on the roof of one of the other unoccupied casitas that we could then stumble upon. Needless to say, it was a beautiful lunch and she said yes! Thanks again, Stefan.

• Visited June 2012

Chicago
“New Friends Experience the Magic of Hechizo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hechizo remains our favorite restaurant on the Riviera Maya. We went there twice during our vacation and it is a 1 hour drive each way for us from Puerto Aventuras. On the first trip, we brought 3 neighbors who had never been there before. All 3 diners thought that it was a truly magical experience! Our friends loved the atmosphere and thought the food and service were excellent. The lamb and the lobster with gnocchi were two of our favorites. We enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour meal without even realizing that we had been there that long. We returned later with two friends who had been there two years ago. They had told us that the memory of that experience was enough to justify returning to the Riviera Maya. Our friend was so comfortable with the menu and the quality that he told Chef Stefan that he wanted Stefan to choose each course for him and was "thrilled" with each selection. The wine pairing was very good and I loved the tuna entree. My wife had the lobster based on my experience on the first visit. We can't wait to return. next year.

Akumal, Mexico
“Need to understand why you are going”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We went on a recent Saturday night and had a great meal. In reading some other reviews, I think the reviewers are missing what Hechizo is all about. Our meal took almost four (delightful) hours.

When you go to Hechizo, you go for both the food and the experience. If you are with friends, you have time to talk and enjoy the ambiance and comment, and probably taste your companions food. If you go as a couple, then you have the time to be with each other.

Sure, it is expensive by Mexican standards, but if you understand you are going for an evening's enjoyment, it makes more sense.

All in all, a great evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Walnut Creek, California
“Great restaurant, beautiful grounds, fantastic owners :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My family and I ate at this restaurant in December 2012 and stayed at one of the rentals (Casa Colibri) on the owner's property. As far as the restaurant, by San Francisco standards, the food was incredible. My dad's steak with duck fat was absolutely divine. I had a Thai-inspired shrimp dish that was also amazing. For dessert, we shared a chocolate dish with coconut ice cream and a passion fruit reduction that had both a lovely fresh taste and wonderful texture contrast with the seeds and creamy ice cream. I would like to give Hui credit for the amazing dessert as Stefan's wife is the genius behind the amazing sweets. The restaurant is decorated in a relaxing, serene and stylish manner that instantly relaxed my family.

One night that my mom opted to eat at the restaurant again while my dad and I ventured into town chef Stefan took special care to make sure my mom made it back to our rental in the dark after providing her with yet another memorable meal.

If you have an opportunity to rent one of their absolutely beautiful units, there are a couple things you should know. The homes are even more beautiful than they appear in pictures and Stefan, his wife Hui, and his staff (and his two sweet dogs) will make sure your stay is absolutely incredible and that you have everything you need. The beach is absolutely serene, the homes are magical, and there is nothing like walking down the beach without shoes to buy a delicious fresh fruit drink at one of the many open palapa beach restaurants. The area is truly magical and I hope to be back many more times. Thank you for an amazing holiday Stefan!

• Visited December 2012
Atlantic Beach, North Carolina
“Wonderful service, interesting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very pretty place, right on the water. 2 tablecloth restaurant, but you needed dress up if you don't want to. The chef, Stephan, was very personable, came from the Ritz Carlton in Cancun, Dubai, and Shanghai. We had the prix fixe menu and it was fantastic. Each course was well thought out with flavor mixtures which were unusual and really worked well. We especially liked the mild goat cheese with watermelon in a balsamic reduction and the shrimp in a sweet/sour sauce. Every course was different in a really good way. The chef took our order personally and came by several times to chat and make sure all was well. This meal was the best of our visit. If it hadn't been so windy, the outdoor tables would have been great as they we almost hanging over the edge of the sea. This was the kind of fine dining we seldom see any more. Great service, great food and at $80 US each including 2 glasses of very nice wine and a martini, it was well worth it. Thanks, Stephan, for a lovely evening.