“Even more amazing than we had imagined it would be - perfect honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nueva Vida de Ramiro

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Nueva Vida de Ramiro
You added Nueva Vida de Ramiro to your Saves list
Km. 8.5 | Carretera Tulum Boca Paila, Tulum, Mexico   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in Tulum
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, NY
“Even more amazing than we had imagined it would be - perfect honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few days on the last leg of our honeymoon, at the beginning of May 2010.

After reading tons of reviews and comparing many different places in the area, I am so, so glad that we booked here. Yes, there were a few emails back and forth when I tried to make a reservation. Yes, there was a minute or two of confusion over my reservation when we arrived - BUT, we later realized there there is more than once entrance and we had pulled into the small reception "gazebo" where we were staying (Zona Corazon) and not at the main reception area. Had we gone to the main reception area (a little further down, across from Casa Banana), I'm sure this would have been avoided.

Nonetheless, we were helped and checked in, despite a little language barrier (which also would have been avoided had we gone to the main reception area.), were directed to our parking place right across the road, our bags were loaded into a wheelbarrow, and our drink orders were taken - service provided with warm, welcoming smiles.

We proceed to room...and commence jaw-dropping. The view...the beach...the color of the ocean. just incredible. Our room - amazing. Before we knew what was happening, someone was offering to hang our hammock on the porch, our two cold Sols arrived, and Ricardo - the manager - arrived bearing FLOWERS for me, welcoming us and wanting to know if everything was to our liking...um, yes, Ricarco, things actually couldn't be better!

Our Room
We had originally wanted to stay in one of the bungalows - Ola or Amore Etorno, but they were booked. Deseo seemed to be one of the best options left for our dates, so I booked that. It was GORGEOUS. It was beautifully and tastefully decorated, spic and span clean, and had plenty of space. The bed was a King, I think, and extremely comfortable - we like a firm mattress, and this was firm without being too hard. The sheets were a little thick and rough, but it's hard to tell if that was the sheets or just our skin - when you stay this near the ocean you sort of walk around with a permanent layer of salty sea spray on your skin and in your hair.

It was windy while we were there, and we just opened all the windows and propped our front door open with a chair to keep a permanent breeze going through. Letting down our mosquito netting over the bed served as a screen door of sorts, letting the breeze in at as while we slept but cutting the wind. It was a little hot at night, but keeping the door open helped a lot, and we felt completely safe there. We preferred the door ajar and hearing the ocean to closing it and using the ceiling fan.

Our outdoor shower had a fantastic view over the ocean. We never even once used the 2nd, indoor shower. Yes, the water was never hot, but we didn't need it to be - it was so hot outside the water temperature felt great to us. Yes, it was every so slightly salty so you never entirely wash off the salt, but we didn't care about that either. Small price to pay for being in paradise. Everyone is in the same boat, so you're all walking around with salty hair.

Our little footbath was great - we spent a lot of time swimming (great wave action!) and the footbath was perfect for rinsing sand off our feet before heading inside. The lighting inside the room was really great too - a lot of thought went into creating soft lighting in little hidden nooks.

The service at NVR was fantastic. Every morning the beach was raked and cleaned of seaweed, beds (and chairs and umbrellas if it wasn't to windy) were put out, and footbath water was changed. Roger, who works in the main reception office was fantastic - enthusiastic, friendly, and extemely helpful in listening to what kinds of things we wanted to do / see and giving us recommendations and maps. He also made the phone call for me to Easy Way Car rental when we wanted to extend our car rental time. (Easy Way, by the way, gets 5 stars from us for being extremely helpful, courteous, prompt, organized, friendly, and yes - easy to deal with. Not to mention really affordable.)

Walking up and down the beach and taking it all in made me even happier with our choice to stay at NVR - there were plenty of great places, but it seems true what they say - the beach in front of NVR (and nearby it) is one of the nicest stretches of beach in Tulum.

I don't know if we could have been happier with our location, with our room, with the service provided...it was all spectacular. It was a little more than we had hoped to spend, but exceeded all expectations - we definitely felt we were in the lap of luxury.

Nights were quiet, and we had lots of privacy and never heard / hardly even saw our neighbors downstairs or next door. Most times we were the only ones in the water in front of the zona corazon area.

We ate at a few places while there, including Casa Bananas, which is right across the "road" from NVR - it was awesome. The best margaritas we had while in Tulum, good wines from Argentina, and and Argentine grill that produced one of the best steaks I've ever had. Great service there too. Even the "continental" included breakfast was amazing - homemade bread, delicious homemade banana jam, fresh fruit, fresh OJ, and coffee - plenty of food and a perfect start to the day. A very chill vibe. Great staff.

I would absolutely come back here in a heartbeat, and while I am usually interested in checking out new places when I return to an area, in this case I'd go right back to NVR. (And I hope that we will!)

Photos coming soon...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My girlfriend and spent a lovely week at nueva vida in march 2008. We reserved the bungalow right on the beach and we couldn't have asked for a better location. The wind coming off the ocean kept bugs to a minimum such that we didn't have to use the mosquito net. Every night we would sip drinks on the patio and watch the stars before falling asleep to the sounds of waves crashing on the beach. The staff was friendly and helpful for recommendations for things to do in the area. They cleaned the rooms and changed the linens every day.

The room is a bit rustic as it has wood slat floors, which you can see through to the beach below. We enjoyed the rustic character the being right on the beach, but it might not be for everyone. Our only complaint was the shower because the water is salty and there was little pressure, but I think this is an issue with most hotels in the area unless you stay at one of the higher-end modern hotel type establishments.

Overall we had a great stay and would go back in a second.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed six nights at Nueva Vida and loved every moment. We are already talking about a return trip. There are so many great things about Nueva Vida. The location is a little further down the beach road so it’s quieter, the staff is super friendly and very helpful, the grounds around the hotel are immaculate and the beach is absolutely gorgeous and for the most part very empty.

We ended up staying in two rooms at Nueva Vida because I mistakenly booked the original reservation for one night too few.

Our first night was spent in Lirio #21. This is a jungle view room on the 2nd floor. It's really lovely with bright paint and nice furnishings and has a deck off to the side with a tree growing up through the middle. It’s a smaller room but the set-up doesn’t make you feel crowded. There’s a walk through closet that connects the bedroom to the bathroom that has plenty of room to store you suitcase and hang your clothes. What I enjoyed most about this room was there were screen doors on the front door and the deck doors. This plus the several windows in the room help keep a good cross breeze going and the room stayed nice and cool. The only drawback is that it isn’t ocean front/ view (which can actually be good because the ocean front was very windy at times).

Our second room, where we stayed 5 nights, was Viento del Mar #19 a larger ocean view room on the top floor of the Casa Mexicana. The absolute best feature of this room is the ocean view deck. The top floor is split between #19 and #18 Estrella del Amanecer. If you have the choice book #19 because the deck wraps around to the side and it is huge. The #18 room only has a small deck with a railing separating it from the #19 deck. There were two drawbacks to this room one is there are no screens on the deck doors and there is only one window facing the side deck. Without screens you couldn’t keep the deck doors open to get a good breeze (plus the winds coming off the ocean could be a bit strong) so the room would get stuffy at times. The second complaint is the lack of storage space in the room. The closet is tiny and dark and there was limited shelving. Oh and important to know – the hot water facet turns the opposite of how it is marked. I took two cold showers before I realized this. There is plenty of hot water you just have to turn it the opposite direction. These are small complaints really as the whole experience is so relaxing and enjoyable. I also loved the bath products (soap, shampoo etc). I wish they sold them in the lobby.

We discovered there was a little store down the road past Le Zebra that sold water, beer and snacks. We walked there every day to pick up more water. The hotel leaves you a large bottle of water each day to brush your teeth but for extra water and beer check out the store.

The continental breakfast served at Casa Banana and included with the room was fantastic. Every morning we had a fresh orange juice, a basket of home made bread, fresh fruit plate and strong, delicious coffee. We ate two dinners at Casa Banana the best being the Argentina steak dinner. The dinner is cooked on a parrilla and included grilled vegetables, a delicious sausage, grilled bread and a juicy steak. We also had a lunch on the beach of tacos and beer. They were good but it was really expensive but then someone is bringing tacos and beer to your beach chair so….

The breakfast and Argentinean grill and Casa Banana were great but there are so many other interesting places to eat in Tulum so don’t plan to eat all your meals there. Here are a few of the places we tried – all were excellent.

In Tulum – Urge Tacos, Pollo Bronco, Taco Mania – all great for lunch and very inexpensive. We had dinner at Cetli delicious, modern Mexican cuisine. Claudia the chef was welcoming and her cooking is top notch.

At Tulum Beach- Zamas (casual and on the beach- churros and chocolate were so yummy), El Ta'bano – interesting and fun place, great food, Hechizo- absolutely amazing dinner, wonderful experience, a must!

Everyone I talk to who has been to Tulum thinks the hotel the chose was the best hotel in Tulum. I too, am one of those people as I think Nueva Vida has to be the best place to stay in Tulum!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

We just returned from 5 day trip in Tulum and stayed at Nueva Vida de Ramiro based on reviews from this website. We were very pleased with our stay; it was exactly what we were looking for and more.

First of all, I think it's important when you decide to vacation in this area to think about what ammenities are most important to you and what you do and don't want to experience. Cancun, and to a lesser extent Playa del Carmen, while full of nightlife, trendy shops and restaurants, luxury hotels and relatively easier access are also plagued with noise/crowds, the usual blight of overpopulated areas, abundant solicitors, and very crowded beaches. If you are looking for "all-inclusive" resorts, the ultimate in convenience and comfort (and are willing to pay for it), wild nightlife, and don't mind crowds, this is for you. If you prefer peaceful "natural" surroundings, quiet solitude, and pristine uncrowded beaches, make your way further down the highway toward Tulum.

We took several walks up and down the beach front and along the hotel zone highway and feel that Nueva Vida is one of the best maintained properties on the beach. We stayed in #9 Proa al Mar. The rooms are very nice and clean, service is friendly and responsive, but you really have to know what to expect. There is relatively little electricity in this area, which helps the region maintain it's charm and low population density. Most of the bungalow style hotels do not have outlets in the rooms and lighting is "low". Most hotels are powered by either wind, solar or gasoline-powered generators. As far as I could tell, Nueva Vida did not use generators, or at least I didn't hear or smell them. The lighting was perfectly adequate and there was a WiFi zone and charging station at reception which met our needs just fine. Staying in a bungalow-style hotel you WILL experience the outdoors, i.e. when it is windy or damp outside, the same goes for inside your room. This again is part of the charm of this style of hotel. We never felt too hot/cold or got wet despite hot afternoons and a few strong thunderstorms while we were there. The concierge was available most of the day and jumped to help us at every opportunity. Ricardo was very nice to arrange a kayak tour for us at Cesiak on a moment's notice and even arranged transportation as we did not have a car. The beach was raked every day and beach chairs, beds (nice!) and umbrellas were out every morning before we headed to the beach. There was beach drink service from the Casa Banana across the street which was one of our "must haves". The grounds were impeccable.

See our Tulum trip report for further info about the stay....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bonaire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I just returned from a blissful and relaxing four day stay at Neuva Vida de Ramiro (NVR). We stayed in Bungalow 8, Nave Inquieta, which is just 10 steps from the expansive white sand beach. If you are reading this review, you probably already know that Tulum is famous for its picturesque beach, bohemian vibes, yoga and natural healing centers, sparkling turquoise water and casual barefoot atmosphere. If you are looking for large, posh resorts, all-inclusive style food and activities or modern amenities, Tulum is probably not your place. But if you appreciate gorgeous natural scenery, quiet relaxation, well-prepared fresh local cuisine, unique local architecture, private accommodations and a relaxed friendly culture, you will find bliss in Tulum.

There are a few key things to know before booking a vacation to Tulum. First, most of the accommodations are small beachfront bungalows and inns with an average of 5-20 rooms. Most accommodations brand themselves as eco-resorts, a smart marketing move on their part. In addition, most do not have air conditioning or electrical outlets in the rooms, since they run on wind or solar power. But if you must have your IPhone, Blackberry or PC, you will find ample charging stations at the front desk at NVR. The other caveat is that the water in the rooms is not potable and smells of sulphur.

Now, on to the details of NVR.

Rooms
We stayed in a private beachfront bungalow with a King bed. I expected our room to be in the style of “rustic-chic”, but I was not exactly prepared for the reality of rustic without the chic. The bungalow was made of wood and had a thatched, open-air roof, allowing the constant, near gale force winds (OK, a little bit of an exaggeration but not much) to noisily rush through at all hours. I grew up in the country and am generally OK with camping, small creatures, and all of the other nuances that go with rustic style accommodations. But this was much less comfort than I expected for the nightly room rate, and unfortunately neither of us could sleep at night due to the loud, rushing winds and humidity. The bed was large and had beautiful mosquito netting, but the linens were scratchy and uncomfortable and had rust stains (there was a sign warning of rust dripping from the ceiling). The bathroom shower had plenty of hot water, which was a plus, but the shower itself was not a place I wanted to linger. There are ways to “do” rustic in a style that is exotic and comfortable by using natural materials, beautiful colors, local handcrafted décor and interesting architecture, but unfortunately the bungalow just really fell short. The proximity to the beach, however, was a big plus. We noticed other bungalows at NVR that looked much nicer than ours, and we considered asking to switch rooms. But in the end we decided to go with the flow and not let it affect our low key vacation.

Beach and Grounds
I had to get the negative out of the way first, and this is where the good part of the review starts! The beach and grounds at NVR are really beautiful. The beach is expansive and uncrowded, even at full capacity. NVR has comfortable beach furniture (think Mexican South-Beachy) and ample shade, and we loved the comfortable beach beds and pillows. The staff was always around to bring you an umbrella, beach bed or drink on the beach – always ensuring your comfort in the sun. The seaweed is raked and removed by the staff each morning, a nice touch that really sets NVR apart from the others. I walked up and down the beach each morning, and I think that NVR had the best real estate and beach furniture. The grounds were beautifully manicured with sandy paths and healthy local flora. Overall, I was really happy with the setting and atmosphere at NVR – very natural and pristine!

The beach was very windy and the waves were consistently strong during our stay in Tulum. I’m not sure if this is a constant, year-found phenomenon or if we were there during a particularly windy time of year. But I thought it was worth mentioning, since those that prefer calm water would not have been happy with the conditions. I am happy with waves or calm water, so I seized the opportunity to boogie board (boards are available for guests). Another thing I noticed about the weather is that it was often cool on the beach due to the winds (I needed to wrap in a blanket some days), but very hot just over the dunes and at Casa Banana.

Service, Restaurant and Massage
NVR has a small, open-air restaurant called Casa Banana, which is a short walk across the street from the beach. A continental breakfast was included with our room, and it consisted of an ample plate of fresh, local fruits and a bread basket featuring a delectable chocolate crusted banana bread. It was topped off with fresh squeezed orange juice and wonderfully strong, freshly brewed on the stove-style espresso coffee. Lunch was also quite good, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to rave about it like the breakfast. We didn’t eat dinner there since we wanted to explore other local restaurants. Also, the menu was somewhat limited and not vegetarian friendly.
The service at NVR was very attentive, helpful and friendly. Upon arrival, we received a warm welcome and an almost immediate request for our welcome drink orders. We promptly asked for margaritas, which were delivered to our bungalow immediately after check in. The front desk staff is very helpful and always there to assist if needed. There were always staff members on the beach to help with beach furniture or to take drink or lunch orders (delivered beachfront or to your room). I also have to mention that the other guests at NVR were friendly, respectful of other guests’ privacy, worldly, laid-back and cultured. I was happy to be in the presence of other travelers as opposed to tourists.

NVR offers massages and a few other spa treatments either in their massage tent or on your balcony. My husband and I both treated ourselves to a massage in the NVR massage tent with the wonderful Blanca, and we couldn’t have been happier! Blanca is a true healer and a professional therapist, and she gave one of the best massages I have had anywhere in the world. The massage tent was tranquil and relaxing, and the chorus of bird sounds overhead was a nice plus. The massage prices were also very reasonable.

There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance to NVR. We dined at Casa Violetta, Om and La Zebra. La Zebra was our lunch savior on a few occasions. It is a five minute beachfront walk from NVR, and it is truly the epitome of barefoot chic. The drinks are made with natural, hand-pressed juices. The signature margarita, made with ginger, produced my first “WOW” moment of the trip. The food was high quality and well-prepared. We had a great dinner at Casa Violetta, which is a 10 minute walk south of NVR. The homemade pasta was delicious, as was the potato-crusted fish. The service was friendly and the wines selection was nice. Another great dinner was found at Om – just beside Casa Violetta. We thoroughly enjoyed the pizza – expertly crafted and baked in a wood-fired oven. The service was very welcoming, and the mojitos were something to rave about. This is a must-try in Tulum. Another favorite dinner was had at Don Cafetos in downtown Tulum. We loved this local restaurant, its friendly servers, great live music and traditional Mexican fare. My “off the menu” request was quickly accommodated with a smile, and when la cuenta arrived, we were pleasantly surprised at the value. Don’t miss it! Downtown Tulum is a lively town, and we had great fun strolling around and perusing the local handcrafted items. Cabs are plentiful if you do not have a rental car.

While I wasn’t overjoyed by our bungalow itself, I still had an amazing time in Tulum. I would definitely return and consider staying at NVR as long as one of the newer, nicer bungalows was available. This is really a unique beach town with positive vibes, and a welcome retreat for these overworked urbanites!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Playa del Carmen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

This is a magical place! we were so pampered! With incredible room and views, all the staff was incredible, and the food delicious, definitely a place that will stay forever in our heart.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

It's all been written before but since I use TA to plan every trip I feel obligated to chime in and agree whole heartedly with all of the wonderful reviews of Nueva Vida. It was perfect. It was our first trip to Tulum and I spent countless hours reading every hotel review and trip report I could find. I felt really good about my choice before we left home but Nueva Vida far exceeded my expectations! We were so excited when we got there at the beautiful jungle setting with romantic candles lighting our path though the property to our room. Since we arrived after dark we woke up the first morning and thought we'd died and gone to heaven. Although some reviews described the cabanas as rustic I would have to disagree... We stayed in #4 and found it beautifully decorated, very clean and even had enough electricity for nighttime lighting if you needed it. Never had to find my way to the (immaculate) restroom in the dark. The toilet paper rule does take some getting used to but the trade off for being in paradise was worth it. The showers were fine and my husband and I didn't even notice too much of a difference with the water. Maybe we were just too happy to notice the salt? I don't use a hair dryer so the fact that there weren't any actual power outlets in the room didn't bother me. The plugs in the reception area were all we needed for our phones and ipods. Thankfully, we only saw one large grasshopper in our cabana the whole time but again, you're in paradise, so you may see a few... We saw several uglier bugs at the expensive resort we stayed at outside of Playa?! The staff at NV was super friendly but didn't bother you with anything. I would have to say the hotel website does not do the place justice. I could go on and on but can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said about this gem of a spot... we can't wait to return. Stop your research, book your room, you won't be sorry!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Nueva Vida de Ramiro? Share your experiences!