“Overall a great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #99 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Georgia
“Overall a great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

June 18 – July 2

AIRPORT
We arrived at the airport on time, got through customs, and met our Best Day driver outside. Don’t make the mistake of stopping inside. ALL of the shuttles are outside. The people inside will try to sucker you in on excursion “deals” and timeshare visits.

HOTEL CHECK IN
We got to the hotel at 1 p.m., and there was no waiting to check in. Our room was ready, and we went immediately to it. However, we felt fortunate since check in is at 3:00. This was probably because the occupancy was at about 25%. The second week we were there, it had really picked up. You could tell by how full the buffets were.

FOOD
French – Not great. My husband got the ostrich which ended up being ostrich meatballs and were awful. He could only take 1 bite. I got the olive crusted sea bass…the bass was good, but the olive crusted topping was not crusty…it was like paste that had been spread on top of it.

Mexican – Great fajitas! The salad bar portion was really good too. The tortilla soup was better than the other soup they had.

Miso – The regular side was okay. Most of the food was very, very salty. However, the crispy turkey wasn’t, and was actually great! Teppanyaki – what can I say. It was closed the first week we were there, but we ate 3 times the second week. It was awesome! The tempura vanilla ice cream was good too, however, it did take awhile for the desserts to come out, and one time the ice cream was almost melted.

Mama Mia – Great! The veal solomillo was like filet mignon. The canneloni was good to.

Fondue – If you like the concept of fondue, this is good. However, it was average.

Buffets – Most everything was great. You do have to be careful of some of the food because when it cools off, it gets kind of chewy, i.e., empanadas, tacos, etc. The pasta bar was good too. I had them mix in some seafood ceviche with my pasta, and it was awesome. Most people just stuck with what was at the pasta bar, but I mixed it up a little. We preferred the buffet that is closest to the beach to the one in the front.

ROOM – Our room was great. Most of the days it was cleaned and we had towel art. We always left a tip and had a clean room. One downside was having to place your room key in a slot by the door to turn on the power. Unfortunately, the power included the refrigerator, which didn’t stay cold when we were gone. However, it will work with any card you have, like a business card, so the fridge stayed cold when we kept that in all the time.

STOCKING OF ROOM FRIDGE – If you don’t like Coke Light, don’t ask for Diet Coke. This is all they have. It tastes like real Coca-Cola. I tried putting out a note saying NO Coke Light and asked for Pepsi Light, but I got regular Pepsi. So if you can catch the drink person, you can get what you really want. We did leave him a tip a couple of times.

BAR – The main pool bar was the fun place to be, especially at 3 in the afternoon for their Crazy Games. Felix the bartender was always accommodating and made great drinks. Try the “Felix Special” which was awesome. Almost tasted like a strawberry milkshake…almost!

SCUBA – My husband had a great time diving with Sea Pro Divers. Peter and the dive staff really put him at ease and his 10 dives were very enjoyable and relaxing.

EXCURSIONS
Chichen-Itza – We decided to rent a car instead of take a big tour bus. We got there in about 2-1/2 hours and paid for a private guide. It was well worth it. We got him down to $50.00 for the 2 hours it took to tour the site. You might be able to get it a little lower if you try. Make sure you bring lots of water, a hat for shade, and sunscreen. The hot summer months there are really brutal. Also, make sure you bring pesos or dollars because the vendors that are inside the ruins sell their trinkets and souvenirs for next to nothing. We made the mistake of not buying there. The same items were 20 times the cost at the hotel gift shop and in Playa!

Tulum – We booked a trip with YucaTreks, and it was well worth it. We toured in a Mercedes van that had kick-butt air conditioning and was quite comfortable. For those staying north of Playa del Carmen, you meet at Java Joe’s in Playa (we took a cab there). It is owned by a couple from New York who opened it 12 years ago. It was actually the first coffee place there. Much better than Starbuck’s. Their bagel sandwiches are awesome. We were picked up and first taken to Tulum at opening time. We were met by a guide who took us through the ruins. After the tour, our YucaTrek guide, Mitch, took us through more of the good photo-op sections. From there, we went to the Grand Cenote and snorkeled until everyone got ready to leave. Then we went to a private beach on Tulum Beach. It was like looking at a Corona commercial…the water, the sand, the waves, the palm trees. All that was missing was the Corona. We had a lunch of grilled chicken, guacamole, salsa, tortillas, beans, and homemade tortillas as well as garlic mashed potatoes. There were soft drinks and beer also. We stayed at the beach for about an hour or so, and then went to the Blue Cenote. It was a great and relaxing trip. We highly recommend it. We asked to be dropped off in Playa, which they accommodated for us.

Playa Del Carmen – For a great time and good laughs, go to Senor Frogs.

We would definitely go back. The biggest complaint we have is the rudeness of the guest, NOT the rudeness of the staff. I have never seen such inconsiderate people in my life. It really ruined some of the things we did there at the resort. A lot of the parents had no control over their children and just let them do what they wanted. We don’t mind kids around, but give me a break…take care of them and watch them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I am in the travel industry and have traveled all over the world and thought I would give some insight about my recent experience at the Grand Sunset Princess. I wanted to share a few good and bad points about the property. First of all we booked a room in the Platinum Suites area at the hotel, so in effect paid for an upgrade to the main section of the hotel.

Good points:
1.) The resort is beautiful! Very clean and manicured, we joked about how it was like Disney. You don’t see any trash and the grounds are very well kept.
2.) The room was spacious and clean. Our maid was terrific in that when we gave her a tip she made figurines out of the towels, a rabbit, a dog and even swans in the shape of a heart. The larger the tip we gave, the better the animal so it was fun wondering what she would make next.
3.) Concierge in Platinum section tried to be helpful, but is VERY limited to what they can do. Mostly they are there to give out towels.
4.) The only waiter in the hotel that is good is Joaquin in main buffet for dinner only- please ask for him if you want great service!

Not so Good points:
1.) Service. It was non-existent at the buffet, both breakfast and lunch. Quite frustrating! On our first day one of the guests got into a fistfight with a waiter at the buffet, not sure why but the waiter had a mean right hook! Great first impression of the staff and how to handle an irate guest! Only half of the tables were open for seating, I can only guess that they do not have enough wait staff. Wait staff has no idea of how to multi task, here is an example: We asked for 1 coffee 1 tea and 2 chocolate milks. This took 35 minutes. The waiter would come to the table with one thing at a time, hot water then tea bag then coffee then cream then chocolate milk. I think they went looking for a brown cow for the chocolate milk!
2.) Front Desk. Service stunk, long wait and not friendly at all. Don’t ask for pesos because chances you will get a “NO we do not have change” I asked 3 times. In fact it felt as if everything I asked for I received a "NO" response.
3.) Trolley – this hotel is huge! Our room is about 3 football fields from the lobby. The tram I was told runs every 10 minutes, we were there 6 days and I was only able to catch the tram 6 times. So if you go to the lobby area 3 times a day (this is where most of the shops/travel agency and main buffet are located) I walked about 720 yards a day just from the room the lobby and back. The tram does not operate every 10 minutes, more like 35 minutes. When I asked to have another tram put on they said “NO” The exercise is good but can be exhausting when it is hot.
4.) Food. We had to stand in line at the restaurants; this was frustrating because they had half of the restaurants closed off! For the most part the food is good but gets boring because they serve the same thing every day! Never got to the specialty restaurants, they were full at the times we could go. I asked to have the times changed and was told “NO” Funny because they were not full at all when you walked by.
5.) Electricity. The power went off several times during the stay and the room got really hot. One night the power went off and on about 25 times – no kidding! Not so bad if you are asleep but every time the power came back on so did the TV. So I found myself holding the remote waiting for the power to come on again to turn off the TV. Finally I got smart and pulled the plug out from the back of the TV.
6.) Room. We stayed in the Platinum Section. The shower floods into the bathroom. Get your towels ready! Better ask for more towels right away because you will be mopping up the water! Problem can be slowed if you roll a towel and place it inside and outside the shower at the door jam. The air conditioning was not working properly so the room seemed hot. The mini refrigerator never got cool so get ice from the machine and put the soda/beer in it. We asked to have a new mini refrigerator, but they said “NO” The room is not sound proof at all. Both inside, between the toilet and bedroom and between rooms.
7.) Beach – Bring water shoes! The beach is white sand but the water has rocks and coral. No water sports at all! The only water sports are outside vendors not affiliated with the hotel – so bring cash for best deal no Amex accepted.
8.) Wrist Band – don’t loose it! They will charge you 100.00 dollars to replace it. If you want to rent the waverunners my advise is to cut off the band and leave it somewhere safe. After you finish bring it to the front desk and they will give you a free new one. Most people loose their wrist bands afer going on the waverunners.
9.) Staff – most only speak Spanish. Although I often got the feeling they actually did speak English but chose not to admit it. - If you only speak English you may have trouble here. Bring a translation guide with you!
10) Night Life – There is a show at the main hotel - the shows were actually OK. If you are looking for night life go into town, there is plenty there and the restaurants in Playa del Carmen are exceptional!

Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Ewarts
Cambridge,ON
18-25 July 2009

Just returned from Sunset Princess and all I can say is "It was a great holiday. It is the kind of place you can make your vacation what ever you want. Romantic, lazy,busy, party, there is no excuse for having a bad time. The staff were helpful and did there best to make sure you enjoyed yourselves.
I want to say that the beach was smaller than I had expected for the size of the property, but we always managed to find a shady spot if even under a palm tree. You would be wise to take swim shoes as it is a little rocky upon entering the ocean, but most places are in the Mayan area.(no big deal) Easy to get cabs for trips to Playa Del Carmen. Lots of pools with swim up bars. There was no snack bar on the beach, we like to get something for lunch while on the beach, they served hot-dogs only. If you want to eat you must do so in the buffets,they didn't want you to take food out. All the restauranats are air conditioned. Overall we had a great week and would definately go there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I recently visited the hotel with my wife and 10 other friends and Due to my horrible experience at the hotel I feel i have too write a review to warn anybody that is even considering visiting ths hotel. This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in my life which says alot becuase I have stayed in some dumps. Let me start off by saying, that the Platinum upgrade was a joke. Before the stay they had informed us that we would be getting top shelf drinks and perks not availble to other guests. The only perks I noticed was a little roped off area in the beach, with no service, and access to the internet in the platinum lobby. As far as the service, it was horrible. Nobody was helpful and the answer to any requests we had was always No! Reservations to any of the restuarants was impossible, and the ones we did get into by miracle they were about 1/4 full, which leads me to believe that they only want to serve a specific amount of plates a night in order to make their profit. One night, we arrived at the restaurant 2 minutes late and even though we noticed the resuarant was empty, they refused to serve us becuase we were missing two people from our party. Their excuse was that they had a tight schedule and we would mess that up. All the staff at the hotel was rude, and they all seemed like they hated their jobs. The A/C in the room was never workign properly, one night the power came on and off, and this is not a joke, about 183 times. The walk from the lobby is about a mile long and the "shuttle" they are suppose to provide come by about once every 45 minutes. All the bars in the hotel have only one bartender and with one person trying to serve 100, it gets tricky. The buffet was horrible and the food at the "gourmet" restuarants are equally as bad. PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY !!! and go somewhere else. I did not talk to one single person staying at the hotel that was enjoying thier stay. It was actually kind of sad becuase the Hotel grounds and facilities are actually very nicely done, but the bad service and experience outwieghs this by a ton.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

From 7/10 to 7/16

We were beginning to feel iffy about the place given some reviews. Let me get this right off the start. If you are planning to go, you'll have a GREAT time. If you're looking for 5 star luxury perfect, try footing $600/night minimum next door at the Grand Velas and good luck.

No doubt The GSP was 5 stars when it started, maybe it's at a 4.5 now since maintenance seems lagging in very few areas. But not enough to make a slighest dent on 6 great nights.

To begin, we arrived passed buffett closure time of 3 PM so we had to eat at the sports bar. FYI, so called 'snacks' iniclude burgers made to order, as well as hot dogs and ham sandwiches. So if you arrive mid afternoon, don't worry. All drinks are free. Only Corona beer is offered. The water at the restaurants seemed fine, and we weren't too careful about brushing teeth, stuff like that. All of us did fine, even little ones.

The buffets were great. Some of the menu items change from day to day, but overall great quality food. We loved eating there for lunch and breakfast. The restaurants were good to great. You have to make a reservation a day in advance, and arrange the hour, anywhere form 6 to 11 pm. Otherwise, there's alwasys the buffett. Of all the restaurants, we tried Mama Mia (Italian), Vaquerita (beef/bbq), Mexican, and the Fondue. The beef at the fondue was unreal, it would melt in your mouth. That was also the case with ribeye and short ribs served at the buffett. Mama Mia's service was good, prompt, and the gnocchi was great. The meal at the other two restaurants took a little longer. Because we traveled with 4 and 1 year old kids, eating at the restaurants were not the perfect fit. If you can feed them first, drop them at the kids center (baby sitting is 10/hour), then you'll enjoy dinner even more.

The grounds are kept perfectly, and if you're lucky you'll spot an iguana here or there. WORD OF ADVISE: bring mosquito repelent. The first night we were out my 4 year old got killed. After all, you're in the jungle.

The room (junior deluxed) was huge, clean, nice marble tile floors and walls. The 'super' king size bed, we had our own zip codes. Talk about birth control.

The pools were great, clean, and they're everywhere!!! But with mid 90 tropical jungle heat, they'd get quite warm in the afternoon. Look for one with shade.

The beach was unreal. Clean, a little rocky the first 60 feet, so bring shoes and you'll be fine. If you stick to the are right in front of the massage cabana, it gets nice and sandy. The umbrellas, chairs, and service at the beach is great. My wife went for the $20 30 minute massage too. I rented a jet sky with my 4 year old twice, and we loved it.

Make sure you get your towels early since the counters sometime close before 6pm if they run out of towers. We read about how this was so much agravation and ruined the vacation of many. I am not sure how bad it can be. You just shake out the sand, hang it in the balcony, and ready for the next day.

Finally, the personnel, we never found anyone that wouldn't smile and greet back. Everyone that works at the resort makes an effort to ensure guests are treated fairly and have a great experience. If you eat breakfast/lunch at the fondue/holas restaraunt, ask for Manager Mary Jo. She was great.

We wouldn't hesitate to go back. It is a large resort, and it takes about 8 minutes to walk from Building 3 3/4 down to the beach, back to the main building. With small children, the perfect setting would be to take 2 or more families. We saw plenty of that too.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Service was great, no issues whatsoever. The room exceeded our expectations as we purchased the VIP club junior suite and was debating if we should upgrade or not. We were glad that we did not upgrade, as we did not see that it was worth the extra $50/pp/night. Yes, there was lots of walking (from our room to the beach) but it was really not bad at all…

We arrived late and was happy to see a 24Hr bar open for our first drink and snacks. Service at the bars were great – even ice cream cones for the kids at one. The bar at the beach gave out hotdogs all day.

We ate at the buffet for each meal, no complaints, always good variety there.

We took a taxi from resort to Tulum ruins (540 pesos total), and then took the Colectivo van (35 pesos/pp) back to resort. This place was amazing – especially the beach swim at the end of our walk through the ruins.

We purchased wireless internet for the week ($70US). This was the best deal for us, as there were options to buy 30min and 1 hour internet sessions at much higher prices. We brought along our laptop and used Skype to call home for pennies per hour. This was the most inexpensive way to talk to the kids back at home. The internet service was very poor during peak times, but we found in the evenings and early mornings, the speed was acceptable and good enough to use Skype for phone calls.

All of our pictures can be viewed at: http://jenkeeling.com/sunset

Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess resort for the 3rd time in 1 1/2 years. If you go to the buffet (Grand Riviera side), look for "Carlos". He works in the morning & he is the absolute best worker I could ever hope to have take care of me & my family. Others in the buffet, Ruben & Jaxvier. They took care of us when Carlos had to work in the back. I wish I could do more for them then write a review. They certainly deserve it.

Then when you go to the pool bar, look for Jose, Felix, & Sergio. Make sure you call Sergio "Culo Chulo". Then they'll know you been reading the reviews. They are so much fun & made our entire week the best vacation we could have. We are still talking about them & wish we could do more for them as well.

Lastly, the entertainers. Look for Daniella or Gabo. They can't do enough. Just tell them the people from Buffalo, NY said to look for them. They do their bes to entertain & make your week enjoyable & fun; right through the night when they do their shows in the theator.

You'll have fun....it's a beautiful place with wonderful people like the above mentioned working there. Look for them & then you'll see what I mean.

Have fun. I'm going back again in Oct/Nov. So that should tell you something.

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!