My wife and I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess from May 16-21. We stayed in the Platnium Villas. This is our second trip to Mexico. We had researched this property for months and were very satisfied with our trip. Summary: The resort was large but impeciably landscaped and cleaned. The food was average. The service was very good. There was always something to do, plenty of activities and nightly entertainment. Rooms/restaurants/pool/beach were all very clean. Overall a very good value. More details below:
The hotel is huge, all the reviews advise this. I believe there are 12 pools and countless number of hotel buildings. The gounds are georgeous, there is always someone cleaning no matter where you go. If you dont enjoy walking, this resort is not for you. They do offer a shuttle service on the Riviera side, but we didnt use the service, as we enjoyed walking to the beach/pool/restaurants.
The Villa room was very nice. A good amount of space with a nice walk-in closet space. The enclosed outdoor shower was a nice touch. We didnt end up using the hot tub in the room, but it was clean. I wish that GSP offered this style of room with an ocean view. The room was cleaned daily, and we had a few of those towel animals that were folded for us the first few days. Beverages were also stocked daily. No issues with cleanliness.
The beach is beautiful and clean. There were rocks on the Riviera side, didnt venture down to the Sunset side. If you wear water shoes or sandals, you will not have an issue. The only issue with the beach were the vendors, I couldn't count the number of times that I said "no" to a massage over the course of an hour at the beach. My wife and I left the beach for the pool as our conversation would continously get interrupted. Drink service also a little slow at the beach, it appeared only one waitress serving cocktails (she was working very hard). We also later in the week discovered an adults only area, further from the beach vendors, so probablly would have been harassed much less going to the adult only section. We did not do the Chill Out area.
We swam/lounged at the Villa pool a majority of the time. The pool was very nice, we used the cabannas pretty much every day. Great drink service at this pool. A special thanks to Guadalupe, Jesus, Jose and Pedro here, they were all outstanding. They also have branded liquor at this pool, which is not available at the other pools. Alehandro was our concierge, who fulfilled all our restaurant requests and also answered all of our questions, he was great! This reason alone, if you are picky about your drinks, will make platnium worth your while. The other pools do offer activities, but are staffed very poorly with bartenders, so you will wait for a drink, and the quality of the booze is bad.
Overall the food was average, and probably the worst part of our trip. I will break this down by buffet, restaurant and room service.
The breakfast buffet was very good, plently of selection, the omletts were good. Coffee is strong, but you're in Mexico, that's how the coffee is in Mexico. The lunch buffet was below average. Plenty of choices, so you can find something you like, but you will probably find a few things you dont like as well. We did the platnium dinner buffet, it was average. I would have preferred a restaurant instead.
The steakhouse was average, slow service, but great service. I forgot waiters name. The steaks were aveage. La Fluer (platnium only) was very good, had a good filet and outstanding service from Michelle (I believe). We also ate at the Japanesse, where they cook in front of you. Jose was awesome and very entertaining. Food was average/above average.
Breakfast room service arrived within half an hour, order was accurate, food was good. We did late night room service, arrived within half an hour, food was average (pizza not good, nachos were good,chicken fingers were okay).
With the villa, you get a complimentary massage, which was great. My wife and I had a couple's massage. Another reason I recommend the platnium upgrade.
The resort offered entertainment every evening. We caught a live cover band Sunday night. The band was good, the drinks here were awful! Couldnt find some of the name brand booze, again, go to the platnium bar(s) and get the good stuff. We also watched an international show, which was a dancing show, which was very entertaining. The disco was fun as well, we danced quite a bit, again, the qulaity of the booze isn't very good.
Overall I ranked the resort 4 out of 5. I would recommend this resort, great value for what you pay. My wife and I are considering booking another trip here.
Keep in mind that the food is average (and also keep in mind that international food is different that US food). There is always something to do here, the resort/beach/pools are beautiful. There is quite a bit of walking, so don't go if you do not enjoy to walk. Finally, go platnium, better rooms/service/restaurant reservation system, it's worht the extra money.
Thank you to the following for outstanding service:
Guadalupe - villa pool
Jose - villa pool
Jesus - villa pool
Pedro - villa pool
Alehandro - villa pool concierge
Melissa(?) - Le Flauer
Jose - Japanesse cooking chef
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This All Inclusive Resort is located in the stunning Riviera Maya. The hotel is perfect for an unforgettable vacation thanks to its magnificent surroundings. The style of the hotel's architecture blends in with and respects the environment. The interior decor and ample functional outdoor spaces provide the setting for a fantastic vacation.The hotel features VIP areas, such as the Platinum Suites and the Laguna Romance Villas. They are privately located and offer exclusive services, including two Platinum lounges serving continental breakfasts, aperitifs, and premium drinks, along with a concierge, 24-hour room service, a private pool with waiters, and a water circuit in the spa.Grand Sunset Princess Hotel has seven restaurants specializing in food from a wide range of cultures, including Asian, Latin American, Mediterranean, and European. Each restaurant has its own unique feel and a few of them are located directly by the sea.After crossing the spacious lobby, you'll come to the Grand Sunset Princess, located near Playa del Carmen. The hotel features a total of twelve sparkling pools and some have an adjoining Jacuzzi. There are more than thirty specialty restaurants and bars, a lounge and a beautiful beach facing the majestic Caribbean ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico