“5 nights at The Grand Sunset Princess” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #96 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Auburn
“5 nights at The Grand Sunset Princess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess from May 16-21. We stayed in the Platnium Villas. This is our second trip to Mexico. We had researched this property for months and were very satisfied with our trip. Summary: The resort was large but impeciably landscaped and cleaned. The food was average. The service was very good. There was always something to do, plenty of activities and nightly entertainment. Rooms/restaurants/pool/beach were all very clean. Overall a very good value. More details below:

Hotel Grounds:
The hotel is huge, all the reviews advise this. I believe there are 12 pools and countless number of hotel buildings. The gounds are georgeous, there is always someone cleaning no matter where you go. If you dont enjoy walking, this resort is not for you. They do offer a shuttle service on the Riviera side, but we didnt use the service, as we enjoyed walking to the beach/pool/restaurants.

Room:
The Villa room was very nice. A good amount of space with a nice walk-in closet space. The enclosed outdoor shower was a nice touch. We didnt end up using the hot tub in the room, but it was clean. I wish that GSP offered this style of room with an ocean view. The room was cleaned daily, and we had a few of those towel animals that were folded for us the first few days. Beverages were also stocked daily. No issues with cleanliness.

Beach:
The beach is beautiful and clean. There were rocks on the Riviera side, didnt venture down to the Sunset side. If you wear water shoes or sandals, you will not have an issue. The only issue with the beach were the vendors, I couldn't count the number of times that I said "no" to a massage over the course of an hour at the beach. My wife and I left the beach for the pool as our conversation would continously get interrupted. Drink service also a little slow at the beach, it appeared only one waitress serving cocktails (she was working very hard). We also later in the week discovered an adults only area, further from the beach vendors, so probablly would have been harassed much less going to the adult only section. We did not do the Chill Out area.

Pool:
We swam/lounged at the Villa pool a majority of the time. The pool was very nice, we used the cabannas pretty much every day. Great drink service at this pool. A special thanks to Guadalupe, Jesus, Jose and Pedro here, they were all outstanding. They also have branded liquor at this pool, which is not available at the other pools. Alehandro was our concierge, who fulfilled all our restaurant requests and also answered all of our questions, he was great! This reason alone, if you are picky about your drinks, will make platnium worth your while. The other pools do offer activities, but are staffed very poorly with bartenders, so you will wait for a drink, and the quality of the booze is bad.
Food:
Overall the food was average, and probably the worst part of our trip. I will break this down by buffet, restaurant and room service.
Buffet:
The breakfast buffet was very good, plently of selection, the omletts were good. Coffee is strong, but you're in Mexico, that's how the coffee is in Mexico. The lunch buffet was below average. Plenty of choices, so you can find something you like, but you will probably find a few things you dont like as well. We did the platnium dinner buffet, it was average. I would have preferred a restaurant instead.
Restaurants:
The steakhouse was average, slow service, but great service. I forgot waiters name. The steaks were aveage. La Fluer (platnium only) was very good, had a good filet and outstanding service from Michelle (I believe). We also ate at the Japanesse, where they cook in front of you. Jose was awesome and very entertaining. Food was average/above average.
Room Service:
Breakfast room service arrived within half an hour, order was accurate, food was good. We did late night room service, arrived within half an hour, food was average (pizza not good, nachos were good,chicken fingers were okay).

Massage:
With the villa, you get a complimentary massage, which was great. My wife and I had a couple's massage. Another reason I recommend the platnium upgrade.

Entertainment:
The resort offered entertainment every evening. We caught a live cover band Sunday night. The band was good, the drinks here were awful! Couldnt find some of the name brand booze, again, go to the platnium bar(s) and get the good stuff. We also watched an international show, which was a dancing show, which was very entertaining. The disco was fun as well, we danced quite a bit, again, the qulaity of the booze isn't very good.

Overall:
Overall I ranked the resort 4 out of 5. I would recommend this resort, great value for what you pay. My wife and I are considering booking another trip here.
Keep in mind that the food is average (and also keep in mind that international food is different that US food). There is always something to do here, the resort/beach/pools are beautiful. There is quite a bit of walking, so don't go if you do not enjoy to walk. Finally, go platnium, better rooms/service/restaurant reservation system, it's worht the extra money.

Thank you to the following for outstanding service:
Guadalupe - villa pool
Jose - villa pool
Jesus - villa pool
Pedro - villa pool
Alehandro - villa pool concierge
Melissa(?) - Le Flauer
Jose - Japanesse cooking chef

Room Tip: Go platnium. Better rooms/service/restaurant reservations.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
Allow me tell you that we are working so hard about your comments to improve our service every day and our customers return home fully satisfied.
Your wonderful words are the best compliments for us. Please rest assured that we will extend your compliments to the entire staff involved in your holidays.
Without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.
We hope that you will be able to visit us again and enjoy our Resort.

Grand Sunset Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,613)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just came back from our trip to this resort where we got married during the week of may 13-20th. It was disappointing to say the least.

Firstly, do not travel with sunwing. They are just terrible. They over promised and under delivered big time. We were told we would recieve varying promotions which never happened(elite plus seating, private transport for wedding party, free excursion, 500 future travel credit, etc) We tried to get the reps at the resort to help us but they mostly just passed the blame from one to the other. No real help or resolution. They weren't too concerned with us.

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are well kept, spacious and pretty. There is lots of places to sit and enjoy the day/evening. However, this is probably one of the few positives of this resort.

Security is ridiculous at this resort. They watch and wait on people and make issues where there are none. A guy was joking around in the pool with his girlfriend and they pulled him out to lecture him. Just one of the few instances we had with them. They tried to kick one of our guests out because a guy tried to fight him and he walked away from the fight. It made very little sense.

The food is also very disappointing for Mexico. We've been to Cuba and Dominican plus Mexico before. When we head to Cuba or Dominican we go with the expectation that the food will be mediocre. However, when we've been to Mexico before the food has been great. Not at this resort. There is lots of choice at the buffets but it's all bland and has no flavor. The a la cartes are designed to be impossible to book. You can only book 3 in advance but they're all usually all booked up anyways. The services is soooo slow. If you book a dinner you'll be there for at least 2 hours. The waiters are friendly and great but not enough of them. Same with the bars at this place. They are under staffed and takes ages to get a drink. The snack bar on the beach offers hot dogs and hamburgers each and every day so if you miss lunch that's all the choices you have.

There were varying issues the resort never resolved as well. They took my dress to steam in a garment bag and brought it back without the bag to my room where my husband saw it. We called to see what had happened and no one ever got back to us or explained what happened. They stopped stocking the fridges midway through the week and never even decorated our room like promised after the wedding.
It was just a constant issue that made us determined to never visit this resort again or book through sunwing.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue improving our services and products for our guests. We are of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to the food and the service.

The most important part for us is to make our guest feel home from home.
I will talk with manager of the area to take action on the matter and this situation never happens again.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments.

On the other hand I would like to explain that our guests could make their reservation on a schedule from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm with at least one day in advance, although it is possible to book the same day but will be subject to availability.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hi to all, i have been all over and in many different resorts throughout the Mayan and have never filled out a review until now. People need to know what a joke this reseort really is. I have so many things to say where do I start... Let me just say the grounds are really nice but that is where it stops. Dont come here if you like to have any kind of fun as the sucurity and management are ready to kick people off the resort in a flash and as we witnessed first hand at the main pool where all the action was, we wittnessed people being harrased by security and being escorted to the Managers office. In all my years I have never seenn such an attitude. not many people working on this resort showed any sign of wanting to help or serve you. Don't bring your teenagers here as they will be followed around day n night. If you like to eat then this isn't the place unless you like a low end breakfast with no bacon to be found on most days and hamburgers n hotdogs as the main stapple in the main buffts. Dinners are horrible with not many meats to chose from and what there was consisted of low end food, if you like seafood eat it at home before you come here. My wife and I came with 28 people to attend my Sons wedding with our 2 other adult children one of wich was harrased twice by the Hotel Management for not doing very much wrong. The dinner at the Italian restaurant the day of the wedding was the same terrible food the buffet. This hotel recycles the food from morning, noon and night. This is the worst food I have ever seen in my days of travelling. If you think you will get any help or assistance from chris the Sun Wing rep then guess againg as he will side with the hotel on everything. I can't believe the Manager made us sign a form that we would not write them a bad review... Ha! I can as it's not my signature on the two different forms they made us sign. There are so manny better resorts in the Mayan for the same money but I'm not sure if I can mention them, but here they are> Grand Palladium n Barcelo. I dont expect to pay this kind of money to eat Hanburgers. In addition to this I would like to add that all the drinks throughout the resort have the taste of aspetane or a similar sweetner which ruins all the drinks no matter what kind you ordered. Now if you come for a wonderfull Beach? Surprise it is Bad Bad Bad as you sit in your lawn chair you can only see the Vendors Huts and not the ocean and be prepared on how to say no thank you a thousand times politely whils constantly being harrased by them.The beach quality is terrible because of the rocks in the water and if you like to swim and play in in water then you need to choose another resort as this beach is Public and of no fun. Like I started out the grounds were beutiful and also the rooms but that is it. In general I did have a lot of fun with my whole family but do not recomend this Resort to anyone, go some where else for this kind of money. Congrats to my Sons wedding as it was Fantastic. Sam and Debbie.

Room Tip: You can ask for a better room but your not going to get it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess.
We are however disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectatives. We are working in each comment that you said for the hotel.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you how we are improve our service.

Weaverville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Princess from May 2 to May 9, 2013. The resort was beautiful and well maintained, but way too crowded.

If you are looking to just hang out and get drunk all day, this resort is probably great for you. For us, not so much.

When we got to our room, we were disappointed. While the room was nice, it was much smaller than we expected. We had our kids and got two beds. Most hotels do 2 queen sized beds, but not the Princess. We had 2 double beds. While this worked, we were kind of surprised. Heck, the park and fly that we stayed at when we flew back to Sacramento had 2 queen beds. Overall, the room was smaller than we expected too, but since we didn't hang out in the room very much, it wasn't a big deal.

The pools were very nice, but only about 4 feet deep. We figured they were shallow to help keep all of the drunk people from drowning.

Our biggest let down was the food. Maybe not really the food itself, but they way the food works there. We could only book for 3 days in advance at the restaurants. Then when you do get there, things were already booked up. If you don't mind eating at 9pm, than you can get it, but if you want to eat earlier, tough luck. If you pay for the premier thing, you can book for 7 days. I think this might have been our problem. I think the premier people had everything booked and we were just screwed.

If you do get to eat at a restaurant, you'll find everything is very slow. The waiters do an awesome job and work their butts off, but there is only like 1 or two per restaurant, so no matter how hard they work, they just can't get it all. We ate at the steak place for my grandmother's 75th birthday and it took us over 2 hours for dinner. We were really impressed with the waiter, but it still took forever.

I also wasn't very impressed by the food at the restaurants. I guess I just expected a bit "more". The menus are very limited and the food was just so-so.

Personally, I think the whole restaurant thing is to force people to eat at the buffets.

The buffets were good, but after a couple of days eating at them, the food all seemed to be the same thing over and over again, so it just got "old".

The entertainment was cool. We especially enjoyed the fire show.

We did have a great time in Mexico for our stay, but at this resort, we just felt like a number and were moved along like cattle. While we'll definitely go back to Mexico, I'll never stay at the Princess again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

We have reviewed your comments and can assure you that we take them very seriously in special your comments about the food. Our guests´ feedback is truly appreciated, as it helps us to improve.
However we are glad to see that there are parts of the Grand Sunset Princess that you enjoyed like the fire show.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just returned from this resort (May 17-20). I unfortunately must give this resort only 2 stars. The 2 stars are for the beautiful grounds that is very well kept. This is a huge resort and I would not advise those with disabilities, hate walking or young children to stay here. They do offer a shuttle service but I rarely saw them running. I hear they run more often in the platinum section. I am not a picky eater but I think I actually lost weight on this trip due to eating less and walking lots in the sun. The buffett had the standard fare but I couldnt say anything was great other than the guacomole.
The first night, we had dinner at Miso (Asian) and the food other than the spring rolls were not appetizing. I would def prefer to have the asian at any local takeout in my neighborhood. On the second night we ate at Hacienda (Mexican). This was even worse! How could they get this wrong?? On both nights the service was mediocore at best and I'm being generous. They do not engage at all and you are lucky to get a "you're welcome" after you thank them. I am a heavy handed tipper and chose not to tip at both restaurants. On my last day, I had lunch at the buffet and we had great service and I was happy to tip him and then some for everyone else lacking! We decided to have dinner at Chill Out that evening which is not included in the AI package. Best decision ever... location is right on the beach (bring jacket if you get cold easily). The food & service were awesome! Not sure if it's bc I was just starving at this point.
I would not recommend this resort. Perhaps, better treatment at the Platinum section.

Room Tip: We were in room 2014. This was a great room as the balcony leads right into the pool. I think it wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

First of all thank you for taking your time to share your experience at Grand Sunset Princess with TripAvisor’s Travelers.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experimented in your stay with us.
We really appreciate your comments and observations and it will be taken into consideration and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.

However we feel glad that some elements of Grand Riviera Princess made pleasant your stay like the Chill Out Restaurant.

We hope to see you again at our resort to show you how we improve our service every day.

Kind Regards
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went through Sunwing and arrived at the resort by 8pm. The front desk line-up was long. We waited exactly one hour in line.
We both were very tired and asked the front desk lady if there was anything special for us newlyweds as we were on our honeymoon and she told us that they don’t have anything. I overheard another guest complaining at the front desk that they didn’t have any beach towel cards placed in the room, so I asked the front desk lady about it and she said "it will be in the room."
When we finally got into our room, we found the room to be very clean looking and modern. No beach towel cards were there. Apparently, when you book with Sunwing you don’t need to have the cards because the beach towels are already placed in the room--we had no idea since front desk lady didn’t explain anything.
My husband found water leaking under the toilet so I called front desk and requested a room change before we unpack our luggage. I was told from the front desk that we have to pay extra in order to get room changed. My hubby and I ended up requesting for maintenance to come fix it instead while we went out for a late dinner at the buffet.
Before walking to the buffet, we stopped by concierge and informed him about the leaking toilet and asked again about about any honeymoon package. Apparently, the hotel does give chilled sparkling wine for honeymooners which we probably wouldn’t have gotten any if I didn’t ask again.
After dinner we found out that toilet issue still wasn't fixed in our room. We wanted to use the jacuzzi tub and relax a since we were so tired from the trip, but we found huge stains around the jacuzzi and inside the tub. When I phoned front desk they wanted to send another person to clean the tub but it was already 12:30am and we were already too tired. We again requested a room change but was told that they can't do that until the next day to see if there were any extra rooms available.
The next day we were out all day at Playa Del Carmen, so we could take a break from this disaster.
On the third day of our trip, we still haven’t gotten our room changed. And the toilet continued to leak. Housekeeping did clean the jacuzzi, though.
My husband and I spoke to the concierge supervisor and complained about all our issues and we were told to write a report into their complaints book they had, which we did.
On the fourth day of our honeymoon, nothing was fixed. I could not take it anymore and requested a room change and requested to speak to building manager. They transferred my call to concierge, then to front desk, and then back to concierge--on and on--for the next two hours. I ended up yelling at them saying that I have dinner reservation to attend and I will be late. A bell man came to our room and quickly handed over a set of keys to a new room. My husband went to check the room first and found that they had given us keys to a room that was already occupied. Good thing nobody was naked! That could have been awkward.

After dealing with them on the phone all afternoon, they finally they let me speak to the assistant to the director. He was very kind and professional (finally!) He upgraded us to a platinum room.

Platinum service was wonderful. We had close and easy access to the beach. The pool by our platinum lobby was quiet and cozy. We were even offered better tequila and other liquor at the bar in the platinum lobby. But...
There were too many mosquitos in and around our building and we both were nearly eaten alive. The platinum side beach was very crowded and butler service was slow because there was only one person serving the entire area.

A La Carte dinner was another issue with Princess. If you don’t stay at platinum suite, you must get to the A La Carte booking office by 2PM to schedule your dinners for up to three days ahead. For our first couple of days, A La Carte dinner was fully booked so we couldn’t book anything. On the third day of staying at the resort, we decided to get to the booking desk at 2pm. We waited in line for nearly an hour to book three days of A La Carte dinner.
We tried La Fleur (French cuisine) which was terrible. We both didn’t like our food, small portions that tasted just aweful.
We also tried Miso (Japanese sushi) where we had the worst sushi experience ever in our lives. There was no fresh fish at all--only smoked salmon and artificial crab. Some of the sushi was made of fruit. Better sushi could be had at a Safeway.
La Vaqueria (The Grill). We kind of expected this to be good since it is very difficult to ruin steak. Their ox tail soup consisted of a dark oily brine. The t-bone steak was thin, tough, and salty. Yes our last hope of having any good A La Carte meal was gone with that restaurant.
My husband and I decided not to go for anymore A La Carte restaurants after the La Vaqueria experience. Food at the two buffets Riviera and Sunset was certainly edible but nothing great. I found that the sausages I had at breakfast were served in different way at lunch. The sausages I had at lunch were served again at dinner. (I LOVE sausages but I couldn’t take it anymore)
Selections at the buffet were very limited and didn’t change much for the 7 days we stayed.
Sadly, the best food we ever had at Princess was hamburgers freshly grilled at the sports bar and hamburgers served Princess stryle (with fried egg and ham) from room service.
My husband and I both agreed the food that was served on the plane on the way back home was better than the resort food.
My husband and I are both food lovers. Princess is no food lovers paradise. This place definitely didn’t meet our expectation at all and we will never go back to any Princess resort again.

Hope this information is helpful when you try to decide where to book your trip. I just trusted the 5 stars and the “Luxury Collection” brand when I booked my trip which was my biggest mistake.

Room Tip: My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Grand Sunset Princess from May 06 to May 13, 2013. We went...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

However we are so happy to know that you upgraded to a platinum suite where surely enjoyed all the amenities that offer our Resort.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed at sunset for one week in april. Did pay for the upgrade to platinum and felt it was definitely worth it from the no line at check in with chilled champagne to presents in your room. We had an Awesome vacation with beautiful sandy beach, modern clean room and top notch service from all hotel staff. Needed some serious relaxation and couldn't get much better than your own cabana bed at the platinum pool with drink service. The buffet was ok but only really experienced it for lunch as with platinum you could plan an ala carte restaurant for every dinner with ease. They even pre book you for two nights before you arrive. Highly recommend the tapanaki for the food and the fun experience. There were also plenty of beach and pool chairs as there were so many pools you really have your choice of experience if you want to relax or party. There was also a complimentary shuttle to town or a 20 dollar cab ride which was only 10 mins away. There was fish right off the beach for snorkelling and yummy americanos and lattes for your morning stroll. Did not see the value in paying for the chill out restaurant but can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Platinum Laguna side was close to beach, shuttle ran every 15 mins and no smell from Laguna heard ot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Best Regards
Grand Sunset Princess

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!