“Beautiful resort, amazing services!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #94 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Gatineau, Canada
“Beautiful resort, amazing services!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We went to the Grand Sunset Princess for two weeks in March 2013 with our two sons (4 year old and 10 months). Wonderful Resort. Very well maintained. Everything is clean and perfect (landscape, rooms, restaurants,beach,). Rooms are spacious and modern. (We had a deluxe junior suite) in bloc 2000 (good situation because in the middle of the resort but noisy in the afternoon since our balcony were in front of the main pool). If you have young children, I recommand to ask a room with the view facing outside the hotel.

The employees are very helpful. We had excellent services, especially at the Sunset snack where we had our breakfeast and lunch most of the time. A very special mention to Carmela and Jorge who were very helpful, polite and always smiling. They were very kind and attentive to our two little boys. We are going to miss them.

The beach is beautiful and clean. However, the sea is a bit rocky near the beach, but nothing to prevent swimming (unless you have mobility problems). The services on the beach is good. Vendors are not harrassing at all.

It is good to know that there are many différent sections on the beach. A large section is reserved for platinum. An other is reserved for adults only. So, if you are travelling with children, your option are reduced. We found a good place on the Riviera side where our kids could play in the shade. Also, we went at the Chill out that is beautiful (additional costs).

Pools and Jacuzzi are incredible; a lot of place for young children. We didn't try the kids club.

Buffet are good; quality and freshness of the food. However, variety of food could be a bit better. I had a better experience, as an example, in a Riu hotel (Riu Tequila few years ago).

Restaurants a la carte are very good. We tried French, Italien, Seafood and steakhouse. Always a good experience.

It is true that the resort is very very large. Personnally, I like it. We had a wondeful time at thios resort and we recommand it to anyone.

5,129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Mexico, and we read many reviews and did a lot of tedious research before deciding on a spot.
We wanted a resort that has a good REPUTATION, QUALITY, great ACCESSIBILITY(near airport and excursions), good ENTERTAINMENT and GREAT FOOD. All of these were important to us, because it was our 1st trip together, and since were a couple in our 25 we did not want a boring family resort.

Our first day in grand sunset princess, we were apprehensive because of all of the reviews we had read online and because of the size of the resort because its HUGE!

Let me tell you this was the best first vacation for me and my boyfriend. If you go to playa del carmen YOU HAVE TO GO TO THIS RESORT, rest were much more catered to an older crowd, if you want a good mix of FUN, ENTERTAINMENT, ACTIVITIES, and GREAT FOOD this is the spot for you.

LOCATION
I dont remember the exact amount of travel from the airport but it was very decent, as i usually get annoyed of long drives, this was a quick swift ride. This location is also great if you want the secludedness of a resort from busy touristy areas. This i have to say is perfect balance as the resorts were a good few kilometres away from each other, unlike cancun where every resort is within steps away. From this location your not too far from the ruins excursions and the touristy shopping areas (ill expand on that more in the excursion section of this review).

ROOMS
If your scared of a mouldy humid room, well your scare is absolutely valid, as this is a humid country depending on the time of year that you go, but not to worry if you find yourself in a damp/humid room, simply ask the staff to be moved they will move you the same day or definitely by next day. We had the same issue we stayed in the junior suite lower floor, but then got moved to partial ocean, closer to the beach and on the top level. NOTE- to avoid humidity as to be closer to water, as there is a constant breeze entering your room, and that area is cooler than other areas.

FOOD
an absolute delight. buffet was great, not an amazing option if you are a vegetarian like me, but my boyfriend had no complains in any meat/fish dishes. The sports bar right by the main entrance of the resort is great for hot dog/fries/nachos and chips, its open 24hrs, loaded with food, unlike other resorts i have been too, IF your hungry at any time go there for a good fix of food!
I would try to stay away from reserving different restaurants within the resort as most of them are bland, and they wont meet your expectations. only 2 that we loved were Japanese tapenyaki and the sushi bar (another asian restaurant). Rest were meh and bland.
You should definitely go out in town in the tourist area (there is only one closest to resort) to try some authentic mexican food away from the resort food. you'll easily spot restaurants everywhere in the area.

ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES
The nightly entertainment is great, the staff really works hard to entertain their guests, every night there is a new show, so be sure to enjoy it all. Once a week there is a market setup with local homemade goods, great time to pick up souvenirs, however there is a short room for bargain and i found those markets slightly more expensive than what is found outside in the real market, as there is more variety and much larger variety of different price points to shop with. also with the resort size, some ppl may fear commute from and back to their room everyday, if you walk it can get tedious as its very hot there, but theres a shuttle that is very frequent that takes you from anywhere or the resort to a spot you need to get to.

EXCURSIONS
The must do excursion is the RUINS/TEMPLES i suggest book a day trip make it full day the one i took was 12 hrs with rest included, they take you to all the ruins and a cenota (open freshwater pond) IT IS GORGEOUS, so mystical its a must see and they take you to actual villages and real civilization away from the city, and a meal is included.
Another great excursion is the zip lining at EXTREME adventure at Selvatica zip lining. This was by far the best ziplining experience EVER and you zipline from high every high heights of the trees, NOTE- dont zip line straight ask them to flip you upside down, that made it for me, an experience i have never experienced before. There is also a jump into the cenote after long hot day there to cool off. if you cant swim dont worry they give you life jackets. The staff was amazing so energetic and very fun and interactive, and you get a meal at the end it was amazing.

ALL IN ALL if you want a great couple getaway or even a family get away this resort is amazing and dont read too hard into the reviews as everyone is different and has different expectations. if your unhappy with mould or small things dont fret just ask the staff to accomodate you and they will. remember to TIP, that my tip of the day, it'll get you a great service and you'll make their day as well.ENJOYYYYYYYYYY

Room Tip: Get a room by the beach closer you are the cooler you'll be and less mouldy it'll be
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had a hard time between rating this resort an excellent or good. Nothing about it stood out to me to recommend this resort to friends or family so this is why I would rate it good. Our one week stay was nice with the 2 kids and we made it special, however the resort did not make it special, we did. I thought to write this review of my experience and opinion it is not discourage anyone from going.I hope it helps with some of your decisions of what to do and what not to do.
1.Book your a la cartes beside the sun wing office as soon as you get there. You can book only 3days in advance so if you only get 1 or 2 restaurants that first time ,go back the next day, get a drink at the lobby bar and book your nexta la cart.. I had no problem getting 6pm seatings to the 3 a la cartes of my choice, but I was there at 1:45 in line 2 days to get this. If I hadn't done this I would have had 9 pm sittings. The fondue was excellent, the Japanese was excellent and they didn't cook with the salt shakers like most resorts for show time so the food wasn't super salty. Stay far far away from the grill.horrible quality beef and poor presentation. We went to buffet after.Heard many,many great things about the Italian restaurant from other guests.
Buffets were great for breakfast and lunch but dinner was horrible. Cuba quality food in my opinion. So if you go having low expectations you will be just fine.
2. Beach was very hard to get loungers at, for this reason I would not return, I didn't get worked up about it we just grabbed 3 sparatic chairs after looking for 20 mins and grouped them together under some shade as the sun was way too hot! I've never seen the Caribbean sun so strong. We burnt with 60 strength sunscreen.Other guests weren't to impressed we were sitting so close with our newly found spot but honestly neither were we. If you are traveling with adults only as I wasn't, there is an adults only section free and the chill out for a cost, both of which I would recommend. Typically i would never pay for a beach chair but in this case at this resort i definitly would.Always a line at the beach bar, always a buffet available at beach, hotdogs,hamburgers,pallae, chips and guacamole. Tiring after 3 days but still good.Saw trumpet fish and other white schools of fish that people were feeding in the water. Yes there's rocks. They are big but smooth and we didn't need water shoes. Sand was beautiful as was the walk on the beach.vendors on the beach didn't bother me but really did take away from the view of the beach. Oh well... Youtube this resort if you don't understand there are accurate YouTube videos showing walk to the beach and the beach itself. I wish I had done this before I booked.
3. Rooms were always clean and bar always Fully stocked. I was very happy.
4. Service was something Incredible! If you have questions or need assistance with something the concierge are wonderful to deal with. I can't say more about this.
5. The resort doctor is not to be trusted. DoNOT go there ,there are other options like the 24 hr walk in clinic red cross in town. Or Id go to the local hosp to see a doctor before I trusted the resort doctor. I almost missed my flight home because she wanted her commission from the hosp by referring us there when after getting a second opinion at the red cross clinic we were completely safe to be traveling and not requiring surgery! You can pm me if you want the details.
Again concierge is wonderful and so is the manager. And a huge asset to the resort.
6 .Our towels were stolen while the kids were swimming in the pool. Again the concierge gave us 2 towels cards after hearing me. I never got angry or temperamental but this was frustrating, poor kids cried thinking they were going to get into trouble and have to pay 20 each for the towels.

If you've booked already, you will enjoy your stay. My review is simply some of the details of our experience. Nothing ruined the trip except for the incompetent resort doctor which hopefully you dont need to use.The resort is clean, friendly, huge, well lit, many bars, excellent service, soft sand. Food didn't give any tummy issues but was lacking quality and taste.

Cenotes are definitely something to see while there and going to town via taxi is a must. If you haven't gone snorkeling in Akumal ,write this down as I feel you haven't been to Mexico if you haven't seen akumal. Just google it :) YouTube it!
Oh, I forgot to mention currency. I brought pesos, Canadian and usd. I did not use Canadian as the currency exchanged transferred your money from can to pesos then usd. Cost 50 to get 200. The fees at the ATM were $5 plus $20 plus your home bank fee. Cost 30 per withdrawal. So, bring cash unless you are going to a bank in town. Everyone I noticed was using usd. If I was to do this again I would bring usd in many many small bills. And $100 ordered in 20 peso increments from local bank before I left. Food for thought.

Room Tip: Use chill out at beach 11 usd pp. Upgrade is worth it for free wifi unless your phone works in Mexic...
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The staff is beyond helpful, courteous, and friendly. The grounds are to die for. The buffet food is really good considering it's buffet style. Miso, Mamma Mia, and the grill were delicious. The entertainment is awesome! The rooms are roomy and clean. Housekeeping was the best I've ever seen.
This place was incredible!!

Room Tip: Take advantage of everything they give you!! Total fun!!
Poland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We just spent a week at the GSP. Overall, it was an awesome getaway. My husband and I were really looking for something affordable - based on what we were willing to pay, we couldn't have asked for more. It's very clean and the staff is super friendly (except the restaurant reservation girls).
It's a huge resort - my guess is it's about .5 mile from the beach to the main lobby/buffets. It's not a bad walk and we didn't mind it, but be prepared for it because the shuttles only run about every 15 minutes and are usually pretty full. We only used them once or twice and walked the rest of the time. I'm a runner and was happy to see there were plenty of places to jog along the perimeter of the resort (I felt safe).
The food was just average. Again, based on what we paid we can't really complain, but it wasn't anything wonderful. As soon as you get a room number go make as many reservations as you can. The whole process is a pain - you have to go every day after 2:00 and stand in line to make a reservation for 3 days out. The Mexican restaurant was a huge disappointment, as were the Italian and Asian. We really liked the Fondue and Grille restaurants - those were the best meals we had all week. They way overcook the meat though, so order it cooked less than you would normally order. The buffets are okay, nothing great. I suggest standing in line for whatever they have someone there cooking at the buffet (omelettes for breakfast, pasta bar for lunch, etc.) It's fresher and by far the best things we found in the buffets.
The desserts were gross though. If you're looking for something sweet, stick to the ice cream. Everything else was super dry. I have a huge sweet tooth so I was really disappointed that I couldn't indulge on desserts.
We didn't think the vendors at the beach were as big of a deal as a lot of the other reviewers say they were. There is an adult only beach off to the side that doesn't have vendors in front. Even if you stay in the section by the vendors you can still find a seat w/a view. They're really not that big of a deal (again, for the price...) You do have to get to the pool or beach early to reserve a spot. But even on days when we switched half way through from the beach to the pool we were always able to find somewhere to sit.
The rooms were nice - no alarm clocks and the beds and pillows are REALLY firm, but other than that they do a great job of keeping them clean.
We didn't do any excursions. We did take a cab to Playa del Carmen one day. We missed the free shuttle because you have to sign up 24 hours in advance, but it was only $5/person for the taxi. It was a nice day trip for a cloudy day. Plan ahead if you want the free shuttle, but $5 isn't bad for a fare.
The wifi is expensive and only included for platinum guests. It was a nice break for us though, to not always be "connected" and checking our phones 24/7.
We would go back if we were looking to stay in the same price range. Obviously you're not going to get the same amenities you would get from a more expensive resort, that's why it's not as expensive as the nicer ones. We couldn't have asked for better service or for a cleaner resort. All we were looking for was sunshine, beaches, and a safe environment - this hotel gave us exactly that.

Room Tip: Tip the staff for extra service and attention.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We loved our stay at Grand Sunset in spring break.This is a huge resort with many pools and restaurants. The beach was a 15 minute walk from the main lobby but the walk was pleasant and healthy (after eating food all day) - cannot complain. Staff was all out to please you - be it the room service or the waiters at all the restaurants. Please make reservation for all evening a la carte dinners as soon as you get there, otherwise you will not get to eat there and will have to rely on daily lunch and dinner buffets - which were also good with themed dinner everyday. Also, remember all men to take full pants or jeans as the dress code at a la carte restaurants is casual formal and is strictly enforced. Mama Mia (Italian) and Miso (Oriental) were our favorites and kids never got fed up from pizza at Mama Mia. The Sports Bar was open all night, plus had a buffet from lunch time till late night.
The refrigerator was stalked every day with water, pepsi, fanta, and beer, plus there was a tequila bottle on your desk - for those tequila lovers, which I thought was overkill since drinks were on the house...but no Kleenex so remember to bring tissues and also an alarm clock.
The Teatro(Theater) had mini disco every night which our 8 year old loved, plus they had shows every night at 9:30pm which were entertaining. We loved the horror show on Friday..it had a great magic show and energetic dances, from make believe Michael Jackson and Jackson brothers.
The Mexican market place one night was fabulous and great opportunity to buy local stuff and support local arts and crafts.
The in resort pond facing cabana were great to enjoy the warm afternoons or cool evenings in early spring..
We never tried the kids club but it was there for those who need it.
The shuttle to Playa Del Carmen left at 10 and 12:30, but please remember to reboard it at 4:30 pm as it is on a first come basis for return...2 couples came at 4:45 pm and had to pay for the return taxi.
It was very disappointing that the vendors that were selling trinkets, tours, and massages had the beach front cabanas and there wasn't enough space for the resort's guests to have a beachfront cabana. I think that all the vendors should be moved towards the back of the beach. The resort management should look into this and please address this concern.....looks like these vendors are paying a premium ...... for what though?????
Apart from the above annoyance , our trip was fantastic....
Wish they had free wifi in every room for the price you pay for these all inclusive resorts.....
We will go again!

Room Tip: Somewhere in the middle of the resort,so you are close to the restaurants as well as the pools and b...
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

First time I've ever felt compelled to write a review about a resort. Just returned from the Grand Sunset Princess in the Maya, 25 of us went for my son's wedding. Most of the reviews here are spot on, this resort is indeed HUGE and forget about shuttles, they never appeared. Lot's of walking but the grounds are spectacular as advertised and the overall cleanliness of this resort is astounding. Rooms are really nice. Food - forget about it - Not as good as expected, worse than Cuba. The buffets are a joke and there are lot's of them to choose from but they are all lousy. The A'la'Cartes are very good but extremely hard to book unless you go Platinum. They get special priority for everything. They also appear to be the only ones who ever get the shuttle.
Service - Outstanding, the staff at this resort were excellent, there just wasn't enough of them to cover the resort.
The Beach - The best beach on the strip, truly outstanding. But as noted in previous reviews most of it is blocked off by annoying vendors and not a great place to hang out. Busy busy busy.
Pools - They are everywhere and are fantastic, some are crowded all have swim up bars.
Drinks were very good and consistent.
Complaints - Availability of Pool chairs and Beach chairs. It's a sick joke, all reserved by people who rarely show up and cover the chairs with anything. Got into a major rhubarb with a couple who had left stuff on the loungers but weren't there for 6.5 hours. We removed their belongings and they were not happy when they finally showed up. Told me I needed to get up earlier to reserve. In fairness to the hotel it is against the rules and they were supportive in solving the problem.
French Canadians - Is there any place these people don't go? Cause that's where I want to go, rudest, most obnoxious self centred travellers I have ever experience, they even complained when we were trying to take wedding pictures that we were holding them up, they just pushed their way through and ruined a number of staged pictures. Don't these people realize that they are the most reviled of all tourist's in the Carribean, Embarrasing to all Canadian travellers, not that most of them will even admit to being Canadian.
Gouging - $13 for a bag of chips, $80 cab ride to Playa Del Carmen, $22 for a rubber pool ball, $21 for a photograph - Prices for everything were ridiculous and unneccessary.
Other than that it was a great adventure and a wonderful resort.

Room Tip: Nothing close to the beach, they are all good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!