This review is long overdue. But better late than never! A group of 4 of us (ages 24 - 25) went during the week of Family Day - February 2012 (Canada).
Rooms: Requested a King Bed, when we booked our Swim- Out Suite in the "Platinum" Section. Received 2 double beds, we were told everyday that our rooms would be switched (to the king bed that we originally thought we would be getting), only to later find out that most of the swim-outs in that section are 2 double beds instead of king beds. We were told we could "downgrade" to a regular suite if we wanted a king bed, but we would not get a refund of the difference. We were told we could not upgrade to receive a king bed room even if we paid a difference. They said it was agianst their policy. Also, the sheets and pillows always smelled as if they were never washed... kind of like an old, wet rag.
Pools/ Beach: The pools, pool bars and surrounding area were very beautiful and clean. But considering the resort was so large, with lots of pools, it seemed ridiculous that one of us would have to wake up at 5am everyday just to get a decent spot at the pool. Sometimes even that was too late. I am conviced that people would bring their stuff out in the middle of the night to "reserve" a spot, and nothing was done to prevent that.The beach was okay... but there was often garbage or dried up seaweed (i think that is what it was). The nice area on the beach was where the Thai restaraunt is located and you have to pay to get a chair or spot in the roped off area.
Food/ Bars: The buffet was okay. Some of the A La Carte resteraunts were good. The Japanese was great! Since the resort is so big, the bars were never packed. The sports bar however, always seemed over capacity and everyone seems to get pretty rowdy, as I think they are one of the only places that serves late night food. The disco was pretty dead.... barely anyone in there or dancing.
Entertainment: There is a live band that plays at the outside bar at night (very good), there was a beautiful aerilist that put on a show and pool staff was fun (most days) Also, there were a binch of carts and shops set up with merchandise for sale. A lot of talented people selling art work and trinkets, very interesting and appreciated that.
Service: The cleaning staff, maintenance staff etc. was very nice and helpful. But the phone operator/ front desk staff was pretty much useless most of the time.
Sunwing: Worst service ever... our rep. at the hotel... HORRIBLE!
Would I go there again? If the price was right. We paid $1700 CAD for a swimout. I feel as if $1400 is more reasonable.
If you dont like walking, or big resorts... this is not for you. (yes there are carts that come by and pick people up) but you have to walk around "in" the resort and it is big! I like big resorts and lots of pools and resteraunts so this is one of the reasons why we chose this place.
P.S. The gym is horrible. You are better off joggining around the resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This All Inclusive Resort is located in the stunning Riviera Maya. The hotel is perfect for an unforgettable vacation thanks to its magnificent surroundings. The style of the hotel's architecture blends in with and respects the environment. The interior decor and ample functional outdoor spaces provide the setting for a fantastic vacation.The hotel features VIP areas, such as the Platinum Suites and the Laguna Romance Villas. They are privately located and offer exclusive services, including two Platinum lounges serving continental breakfasts, aperitifs, and premium drinks, along with a concierge, 24-hour room service, a private pool with waiters, and a water circuit in the spa.Grand Sunset Princess Hotel has seven restaurants specializing in food from a wide range of cultures, including Asian, Latin American, Mediterranean, and European. Each restaurant has its own unique feel and a few of them are located directly by the sea.After crossing the spacious lobby, you'll come to the Grand Sunset Princess, located near Playa del Carmen. The hotel features a total of twelve sparkling pools and some have an adjoining Jacuzzi. There are more than thirty specialty restaurants and bars, a lounge and a beautiful beach facing the majestic Caribbean ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico