My hubby and I were part of a group of 12 that just spent the week at the Grand Yucatan Swim Out Suites (Platinum package) from 24 Nov – 1 Dec 12. This was not our first time to Riviera Maya, we stayed at a 4 1/2 star the last time.
The positives of this resort:
The pools!! There are so many and we never had a problem getting a lounger for 6-8 people at any time. There are lots of swim up bar so we never had a problem to get a spot and special shout out to our favourite bartenders Damian, Carlos and Ruby!!
The resort is beautiful, huge, well kept and nicely decorated.
The Platinum package offered free Wi-Fi in our rooms and we liked that a lot, although some rooms in our party could not connect the entire week.
The beach was nice but a little rocky.
What was okay about this resort:
We ate at 6 al a carte restaurants and the food was average. I personally was disappointed because the food was not outstanding!!
The hotel gift shops were just a little above average for the typical Mexican souvenirs, although some of the things for sale were extremely over priced. ie $14 USD for a large bag of chips.
The negative of this resort:
The food and service!
The food at the buffet was average at best and there were always empty dishes on the buffet. When you entered the buffet there was a sign that stated "please wait to be seated" but there wasn't anyone there to seat you (except for dinner). At 5 out of the 7 breakfasts we had a the buffet we were over half way done eating before someone came by with coffee!! When we went to the coffee station and asked for coffee the servers usually took their time to get our table.
The concierge was less than helpful when we requested to reserve the daily shuttle to Playa for our group of 12. This resort only offered three free shuttle runs per day, 10 am and noon into Playa and 5 pm out for free and they would only take reservations the morning prior at 8 am, when we explained to the concierge that we were going on a day trip at 7:30 and want to the take the shuttle the next morning so one person in our group needed to book all 12 spots. She said this wasn't possible and we needed someone there from each of the 6 rooms to reserve the shuttle. Fortunately our day trip guide (not booked through the resort, a big thanks to Edventure Tours, I will leave a 5 star rating for you under tours!!) waited until we booked the shuttle and we left at 8:20!
The platinum section on the beach was over crowded and the "butler service" that was advertised for platinum guest did not exist.
The swims out pools for the Grand Yucatan were so cold that we couldn’t use them at all. The sun only hit these pools for about two hours per day and it was not enough to heat them. This may be different at other times during the year but in November it was they were too cold.
Finally, on our second day there, two of our six rooms were broken into!! It seemed like they came in through the patio doors (which had flimsy locks) and left through the main door of the suites. Our friend had all their money and valuables locked in the safes so they didn’t steal anything, but they trashed their suitcases. When the hotel’s staff was informed they said that this had never happened before. The third day one of these rooms that was broken into again!
Our trip to The Grand Princess Resort was eventful but we can still say that we enjoyed the trip immensely. It was the people in our party and all the wonderful people we met there that made it a great holiday.
This is one of the cheapest 5 star resorts and now I know why. If you stay at this resort I would not recommend paying to upgrade to the Platinum level.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This All Inclusive Resort is located in the stunning Riviera Maya. The hotel is perfect for an unforgettable vacation thanks to its magnificent surroundings. The style of the hotel's architecture blends in with and respects the environment. The interior decor and ample functional outdoor spaces provide the setting for a fantastic vacation.The hotel features VIP areas, such as the Platinum Suites and the Laguna Romance Villas. They are privately located and offer exclusive services, including two Platinum lounges serving continental breakfasts, aperitifs, and premium drinks, along with a concierge, 24-hour room service, a private pool with waiters, and a water circuit in the spa.Grand Sunset Princess Hotel has seven restaurants specializing in food from a wide range of cultures, including Asian, Latin American, Mediterranean, and European. Each restaurant has its own unique feel and a few of them are located directly by the sea.After crossing the spacious lobby, you'll come to the Grand Sunset Princess, located near Playa del Carmen. The hotel features a total of twelve sparkling pools and some have an adjoining Jacuzzi. There are more than thirty specialty restaurants and bars, a lounge and a beautiful beach facing the majestic Caribbean ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.