“Do you need platiinum?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #94 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
chico,ca
“Do you need platiinum?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our agent said was just an additional restaurant, so we did not book platinum. Platinum gives you internet access, a private pool/beach. and is closer to the beach (a long way to the main compound however). Otherwise food/drinks the same. Wait staff are attentive. Drinks brand name unless it’s busy then you need to ask. There is a bar 24/7. The resort is huge, 3 actually. Sunset is quiet, Riviera, a mirror of Sunset, has the nightclub, theater and most restaurants, Yucatan adult only with no benefits I could see. The resort is a mile in from the road, so public transportation a hassle.Food at the breakfast and lunch buffets were good and items varied daily. Dinner, the one time we ate buffet, (10pm arrival) was tasteless. Mexican the best restaurant, salad/appetizer bar a meal in itself. A plus was the ability to book 3 nights at a time. Entertainment cruise ship caliber.

5,135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,292)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The property is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is super polite, friendly, and helpful. The resort is huge and there are many activities and places to eat so you never have to even leave the premises. Definitely make reservations for the restaurants as soon as you arrive. My fiance and I had an amazing time and definitely plan on visiting again with friends and family!

Room Tip: Junior Deluxe Suite with Pool access is AMAZING!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This hotel isn't any thing like certain people say! The staff/Maud's DO NOT STEAL!! And are not rude they have decided that they want to try and claim mOney back through insurance or holiday company so they write a bad review we have been warned about this in the past! And have been told the nationalitys that do it! Please don't belive any of the rubbish about stealing or staff being rude this is a brilliant hotel and after 4 visits and another 1 booked there can't be anythIng ba wrong because people wouldn't book again!! These people are liers and are putting a excellent hotel to a bad name because they have a sad life!! This hotel is a perfect hotel in Mexico u can quote me on this!

• Stayed January 2012
San Pedro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

It happened to us also! $400 US went missing from the "safe" and it was missing the sticker just like in all the other cases reported.
I will not even report it-why? I will not get it back. They stole it the first day we checked in i guess to make sure that they get it before we spend it! Well they were nice enough to leave $200 in my envelope. I had $600 all together.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The staff were very nice. It is a beautiful place. The lack of attention to detail makes this resort fall way short of our expectations. The food was good overall but several meals were below the quality we expected. I had a t-bone for dinner that was nothing but gristle. It wasn't even edible. We had the platinum package which was suppose to include a special dinner that we never recieved. We did not have anything extra as a platinum guest, I guess that was just a ploy to get more money out of us. We could hardly get a dinner reservation at all even though every restaurant was only half full. The room smell a combination of insecticide and mildew. Everything we brought home smelled like the room. Room service does not exist. We called several time for things and no one ever showed up either time. We never did locate the platinum section of the beach. Again this was money paid for nothing. We had a jacuzzi on the balconey. The problem is that everyroom around you has a complete view of your balcony, no privacy. Shuttle service was always late if it showed up at all. We got tired of having to walk so much. If the shuttle did show up it had two flat tires and you had to breathe diesel fumes while you rode. The pools only receive a cursory cleaning and there were alot of bugs floating around in it. If you went in the water at the beach the bottom was too rocky to walk on. I will never go back to this place again. THey will try to sell you a membership. You could not give me a membership to this place.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

this was our 5th trip to Maxico and this was the worse trip..I am not a person that complains at all, but this time had to let everybody know what to expect. We all work hard for the money, when we go on vacation, the idea is to have fun and not get frustrated.The resort is beautiful, clean and people are friendly, but the food is disgusting same food everyday for breakfast...was expecting maxican food but disappointed..and the beach is the worst ever, dirty water and very small area very noisy with all the maxican trying to sell.
When we arrived in our room we had two double beds (we had requested for one king when we booked), unfortunately we were told that they do not guarantee this and were unable to accommodate..Phone was not working, no iron in the room, and also small bugs in the bathroom. after 2 days we moved to other room with king size bed,,this time flush was broken.

At the end of the day, for the amount we paid I don't feel this resort was worth the price tag. It wasn't uncommon to over hear people complaining about various things as you passed by (and there were a lot complaining). I'm confident you can have a better and more enjoyable experience elsewhere in this area at a cheaper price. The staff was great in a lot of areas but not so great in going above and beyond to ensure you are fully satisfied.

will go back to barcelo tropical i stayed my last trip..was amazing experience..

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Let me start by saying this resort (the grounds and the rooms) is absolutely beautiful and the staff is wonderful. On the surface this would appear to be of 5 star quality but once you scratch a little below the surface you start seeing where it falls short.

I will definitely take on the blame for booking an anniversary vacation for 2 at a family inclusive resort but there was more than just a few issues.

As I mentioned, the room was beautiful but once you actually tried using anything you started to notice issues. My husband and I booked a platinum suite with a ocean view and a jacuzzi on the balcony (as well as one in the bathroom) and I requested a king bed (as it was just the 2 of us on what was supposed to be our romantic anniversary trip) when we got to the room (with 2 double beds) I wasn't upset, we just pushed the beds together and made the best of it. We looked around for the "special gift" that was supposed to be included but I didn't find anything. We decided to make a drink in our room while we unpacked as we were not given our "special check in drink and cold towel" as was advertised for our room category. Unfortunately the fridge did little to cool anything so we called down to let them know and were told it would be fixed the following day.

We decided to go out for a bite but the buffet was closed so we ate some bland burgers and nachos at the sports bar. We really wanted to go for a swim but the pools all closed at 8pm (which was not advertised at all, anywhere before we got there or even when we got there (this was a big deal for us as we would have probably picked a different resort because we are night owls and we LOVE to swim) We called it an early night as there wasn't anything else to do after we took a walk around the grounds and had a few drinks. We ended up in our balcony jacuzzi for an hour or two (in the dark as they control the lights on the patios and they automatically shut off at 10pm) We decided to look on the bright side of our "ocean view" room (which we had paid extra for) being completely covered by foliage as we got some privacy (although the swamp smell was a little intense, we lit some incense and tried to focus on the smell of the bath salts we dumped into the jacuzzi)

The second day things started to unravel even more. I woke up and was getting ready to hit the beach, I reached over to grab my earrings and there was the biggest roach I had EVER seen. It was larger than a very large almond and despite my rough exterior, I squealed till my husband came over and killed it. I called down and let them know very politely that we had found a roach in our room and they told us they would send the exterminator up that day.

We grabbed some breakfast (which was runny eggs, overcooked sausage, and soggy toast. No bacon!?) and went out to the beach to check it out and book for a snorkeling trip as the resort offered it for free and we love to snorkel (we even brought our own sets of snorkels and masks). We asked our “platinum concierge” where we could book our snorkeling excursion and they told us to just go to the beach and we couldn’t miss it. We did so and found out that there was no “snorkeling excursion”, you could just use some of the snorkels they had when you were swimming on the beach. Big disappointment there, especially when they advertised “free snorkeling”.

The "private platinum beach area" which had butler service for your drinks was on the opposite side of the beach as the platinum building, I didn't really understand this logic until we walked over to that beach. We got to the “private area” and tried to find some chairs, this was very difficult because it was very crowded. I noticed that there were many people without the platinum wristbands who were traveling with/friends with platinum members and in the platinum area using the facilities (This only bothered me because we had plunked down extra cash for the extra amenities and were unable to use some of them because they were full of people who hadn’t paid for them) After dragging some chairs from the “regular area” over to the platinum area (which we only bothered with because of the “butler” drinks service) we went to the water. It was not the beautiful blue waters of the Caribbean that was expected. Instead the water was a murky brown by the shore and there was a ton of sharp coral everywhere, we were both wearing swim shoes but I still cut the back of my foot and my husband scraped his shin in the dangerous waters!

We asked about the water’s murkiness and coral and were told the brown came from the swamp leaking out onto the shoreline and that the coral started to disappear closer to the public beach area (some upgrade!) and we should swim there instead.

We had enough of the terrible beach and decided instead to grab some lunch and check out the private platinum pool. Lunch was another disappointment. We love Mexican food (REAL Mexican food, not tex mex, not Taco Bell) and I figured staying away from what I considered “kids food” i.e. Burgers/chicken strips/pizza, etc... And eating the more authentic Mexican dishes would probably be the way to go at the buffet. Boy was I wrong! I can’t recall a single thing I ate at the resort on this entire trip that I would consider “good”, even the one night the buffet had lobster (which was the same night as the “platinum dinner” which didn’t have lobster, how does that work?) it wasn’t even real lobster! You could tell they were scampi but were being advertised as lobster. My husband didn’t eat very much but bread after day 2 as he got horrible food poisoning and spent 1 and 1/2 days in bed and the bathroom.

We went to the private platinum pool and it was completely empty but somehow every single seat/bed was taken! This occurred the entire week we were there. People would show up first thing in the morning, lay their towels down on the beds and chairs and then go do whatever they wanted for the rest of the day only reappearing for an hour or two here and there to use the pool but “holding” it all day. It was printed on a big bold sign that you could not do this and there is a concierge there all day but no one did anything about it. One day I was so fed up I just moved someone's items off the bed and we spent 4 hours there, no one showed up to claim their items before we left.

On day 3 we decided to take a bath in the jacuzzi inside because the swamp smell was just too much (until now we had only used the outside jacuzzi in the dark and the shower) we filled it up and got some drinks. When went to get in the bath we noticed a HUGE dark brown film on the water/bubbles. I figured it was just the pipes cleaning out whatever was in them as they hadn’t been used in a while. I emptied the bath, gave the tub a bit of a scrub to get any residue off and filled her up again. The brown film was there again, not weakened a bit. We skipped the bath and showered, the next morning we checked the outside jacuzzi and to our surprise there was the same brown film (is this why they shut the lights off automatically?) needless to say this ended any use of the jacuzzi’s (which we paid extra for) as apparently this was the case throughout the resort.

The best times we had were off the resort but even those fell short (when we booked through the resort). We went swimming with whale sharks an (expensive) life changing trip but not as advertised (especially considering the money spent) we were supposed to get picked up in a bus, taken to café where we could purchase breakfast, swim with whale sharks, snorkel some shallow reefs, and then have a freshly prepared lunch of guacamole and ceviche. Instead they picked us up in a non-air conditioned van that was so crowded that my husband was smooshed between the driver and our “guide” up front and I was in the 3rd row seating in the back between 2 strangers... We got to the “café” and the only available foods were a coffee cake that was covered in flies (no coffee though) and some packages of chips (not even a granola bar in sight!) they had a bathroom which I avoided but my husband used and he reported back that it was completely disgusting and it made him puke (to be fair, he does have a pretty weak gag reflex) There were also a few stray dogs hanging out front which seemed to be barely clinging to life, it was just a depressing morning. once we finally set out it was lovely. our guides were great, we saw a ton of whale sharks and it really was one of those life changing bucket list trips.

After everyone had enough we turned around and were supposed to go to a reef for a few hours but the spot they took us was very deep and you couldn't really get down to see anything unless you were already a very athletic and practiced at snorkeling deeper waters. It didn't matter much as we were only there for about 10 minutes (the time it took to mix up some guacamole) then it was time for "lunch". Keep in mind we left before any food areas were open at the resort, there was nothing edible at the "cafe", we were exerting ourselves on the trip, and it was now hours and hours later. They passed out a quarter of a foam cup (foam, in the ocean!) with some watery guacamole and ceviche with a pack of two individually wrapped crackers.

Aside from all the above mentioned the place was overrun with children who had absolutely no parental supervision (not the resorts fault of course but something to keep in mind if you are trying to have a romantic vacation for two) the drinks weren't made very well (they tasted different at every bar), the food just wasn't up to par, the beach was dirty, and the whole resort smelled like sewage.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!