“perfect vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #97 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“perfect vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was our first trip to Mexico and it was an unforgettable experience. Every single staff member was kind, friendly and hard working. The resort was very clean, modern and well kept. I have nothing negative to say about the resort except the pools could have been warmer!! There were 12 pools and beach access within minutes which was beautiful. The food and drinks were amazing. We will be back for sure!! Transportion was always available and the staff was always wiling to help and answer questions. We did not speak Spanish at all and it was not a problem, All staff were very talented and able to speak English with no problem!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite which was amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,648)
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our server Margarita at the Platinum Suites was spectacular ! Thank you Margarita! The food was pretty good, we went to La Hacienda, Las Olas as well as steak house. All were very good, but we found 4 courses was too much, but good food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My family stayed here for 10 days (November 4-14) and I liked almost everything in this hotel.
First of all - weather was PERFECT!!!
We went with our 9 year old son, he LOVED the kids club and Mini Disco - Thanks to Claudia, Sophie, Chris!!!
Resort is beautiful, clean and well kept. I liked a few minutes walk to the beach (do some exercise :) or u can get the little cart ride. You can always find free lounge chairs on a beach - no problem.
Rooms are good size and very clean - no smelly at all.
Food was very good, with good variety (not great, I am comparing to other all-inclusive resorts, that we've been previously).
Lots of pools, some of them with bars (all very clean too) - all along your path to the beach.
Staff is very friendly, fun and hardworking. Pre-shows and night shows are very entertaining and fun too.
The only thing we didn't like - there is rocks in a water. Not a lot, but kind of unexpected, when you walk there. Much less rocks in a water - is on a right side of the beach. This is the only negative thing I can say about this beautiful resort (but, I guess, this is just a nature of its location on a beach).
Overall it was a great vacation and a great value for what we paid. Thanks, Grand Sunset Princess!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nuff said!

Okay, well I'll say something in an attempt to be more helpful!

I chose this resort based on two things 1) the reasonable price and 2) the great reviews on Trip Advisor and I was quite excited about trying this resort despite the fact that we went after spending a week at the Royal Hideaway Playacar which is, quite simply, just in a completely different league. Nonetheless, I will endeavour to provide an objective review of the Grand Sunset Princess.

First of all, all reviews are very subjective and some people love this resort and some people don't. In the interest of disclosure, I will say that this was our 23rd trip to Mexico and our travel style has certainly evolved over time towards preferring very high end resorts (we have stayed at the Palace Resorts, El Dorado Casitas Royale, El Cid, Pueblo Bonito, Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo, Grand Mayan, etc.) so this did not meet those standards by any stretch of the imagination but we were travelling with friends that preferred a more budget friendly holiday and we did get a reasonable deal.

We booked the Grand Yucatan Platinum Suites (Adults Only) and I highly recommend paying extra for the Platinum option (but not in this section - more later). One of the benefits is unlimited a la carte priority reservations and this is a must as the buffets are TERRIBLE. Having said that, our trip started by our Concierge unnecessarily upsetting me about our dinner reservations. Immediately upon arrival we attended the Platinum Concierge desk to revise our dinner reservations. I had emailed my reservation preferences prior to our trip and yet they were not granted. We were given a reservation to the Mexican restaurant on our third night and to the Italian on our fifth night and only for two people, not the four in our party. When I asked the Concierge to book other reservations he said they were all full. However, the people before us booked their reservations for every night of their stay without a problem. I don't know why he did that because Platinum guests do get priority for dinner reservations. Then he said his system was down and there was nothing he could do. I had to get a little upset about the idea of eating at a buffet every night and then all of a sudden he gave us our requested reservations for every night of our stay at our requested restaurants. Not a great start - and for no reason!

The food at this resort is really not good and the a la carte's were only marginally better. We did have a great meal at Miso at a Teppanyaki Table - the food was delicious and we also enjoyed La Fleur the Gourmet Restaurant and the Fondue restaurant. Las Olas, the seafood restaurant, was surprisingly terrible and we split the seafood platter for two. And I ordered the veal at the Italian Restaurant based on all the great reviews on here and I must have got a bad piece as it was thick, chewy and virtually inedible. The Beef Carpaccio was good though. The Gala dinner for Platinum guests is a buffet and it was terrible too. Our first night we went to La Vaqueria. I ordered the ribs and they were just disgusting. They were just drowning in a plate of BBQ sauce which made them totally inedible. My husband had the t-bone steak though as did my friend and they enjoyed it.

What you need to know about the a la cartes is that the meals are not truly all inclusive. You may order a starter and a salad, or a soup and salad but only two of the three. I've never seen this before. Usually you can order as much as you want. And each of the specialty restaurants only have two or three options - very limited. The other thing is that at Miso you have to book either Teppanyaki, Sushi or Oriental and you get a different menu for each. If you book a Teppanyaki table you can't order an appetizer of Sushi. Again, never seen that before. We would have really liked to start with some Sushi but the set meal of beef, chicken, fish and veggies and rice was really tasty.

Back to the Platinum rooms, I do not recommend the Grand Yucatan Platinum Suites. The location is terrible and very far from everything. While the pool behind the building is nice and quiet during the day, which we enjoyed, I felt very bad for the people that paid extra for a swim up suite. They are virtually unusuable. The balconies of these suites and the swim up pool is mostly shaded all day long and by afternoon you can barely get any sun anywhere because the building shades the entire area. There is a private pool bar there that is staffed from 10 am to 6 pm and Marcos is great. This was nice to run down and get a great Ceasar before dinner.

No Grey Goose or real Baileys available anywhere so I'm assuming there are no other top shelf liquors as well - but those were the only two I tried to get so can only speak to them.

WiFi is almost non-existant. We got it for free with our Platinum upgrade but it was virtually useless. I could only get it in the room if I sat on the absolute corner of the bed and no service by the pool.

The grounds are beautiful and they are kept wonderfully clean. The rooms are also nice, although the furniture is getting tired. Bathrooms were nice but the slamming of the toilet door will drive you crazy (you'll know what I mean if you've been there).

If you're a non-smoker that cannot tolerate smoke - DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT! As a previous reviewer mentioned, you cannot get away from it. Many, many, many people here smoke and there just isn't a place to go to not be exposed to it. There are signs in the lobby area that directs smoking and non-smoking areas but people don't follow it and its not enforced. We couldn't enjoy the evening live music for the same reason. Even though it was outdoors, the smoke was just so thick that my allergies wouldn't allow us to sit and enjoy the music.

The Chill Out Bar was GREAT and very worth the 130 pesos per person that we paid to enjoy the day there. The Platinum section on the beach was useless. After walking 1 km to get to the beach, the Platinum section is way far down at the end. The beach is long and fine but not the beatufiul blue that you get in other parts of Playa and Cancun.

I gave this resort an average rating rather than a poor rating because, to be fair, many people will really like this resort. If you want to go for a party, or you"re a family that wants a reasonably priced vacation and great food isn't a requirement of yours, this will suit your needs just fine. I have checked out prices since our return though and they are much higher than what we paid which would be a deal breaker for me. We will not return in any event but if you get a great price and the things I've mentioned aren't a concern to you then you should enjoy your vacation. The service of the staff is really very good.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently got married here at the Grand Sunset Princess, and it truly turned out to be the wedding of our dreams. We had a group of about 46 people come with us and there were no complaints about the resort at all! Some people in the group had asked to be upgraded for their rooms, and the resort did everything they could to accommodate this.

We stayed in the Platinum room and for the small extra charge I would highly suggest it. Free wifi, free room service are just a few things you can take advantage of here. As well as access to the private beach area only for Platinum guests, which is a nice change from the public beach. Friends of ours stayed in the swim up rooms which were also very nice! But they had a ton of noise at night most nights. People slamming doors etc. At the Platinum area, there are security guards who patrol the area, anyone who is not Platinum is not allowed in that area. It was nice a quiet all of the time.

The food was very good here, the French restaurant was not our favorite, we really did not enjoy it. But the Japanese restaurant was excellent! Best spring rolls I've ever had! I also heard the Italian restaurant was very good as well! Even the buffet food was very good! One of the best buffets I've had. Tons of variety all the time.

The grounds were always nice and clean and the staff were extremely friendly.

The wedding itself was incredible. We were married at the Chill Out area which was nice and private and the wedding coordinators just go above and beyond to make your day perfect. If anyone is looking to get married here, I highly suggest the Chill Out area. You are paying a bit more but you are getting a gorgeous location. All of our guests commented to us that it was one of the most beautiful weddings they've been to. And best party :)

The resort is quite large. It took about 15-20 minutes to walk from the Platinum area to the main lobby. Most nights it was a nice walk but for those nights when you are too tired there are trolley's that run every 15 minutes or so that go from one end of the resort to the other.

Tons of different pools to choose from... from quiet pools, to the loud party pools which is nice to be able to choose depending on your mood.

The massages on the beach were extremely over priced. If you walk down the beach about 10 minutes you can find some smaller vendors who were charging $50 per couple for an hour massage with hot stones! If you are looking to do massages, take a walk down the beach. You will save yourself a ton of money and it's literally the best massage you'll ever get.

We would absolutely come to this resort again. Highly recommend it!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The large resort has lots to do and services to offer. Be careful what you book and make sure you get your cancellations in writing. We were charged for services we had cancelled and are currently trying to get this resolved. The pools are cool and clean. The hot dogs and hamburgers are usually undercooked but if you have a strong stomach that should be no problem. The concierge service were very helpful and polite. The room service night clerk most of the time is short and rude. All of the bell boys and shuttle service employees are polite. The ladies who clean the room are polite and cheery.

• Stayed November 2012
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Tavelled with Sunwing Nov 8-15. Everything on time with flights, on time, great service.

We arrived close to 11 pm. Check in was on time and smooth (accommodated our request for higher floor room etc). No welcome drinks, but not sure if that was included or not.

Room 5*: beautiful, well decorated, cleaned daily; however, they could wash the floors better before room switch (after previous clients, and before the new ones check in). There were some weird red/brown dots in some spaces and we were not sure what to think it was. As some stated; ironing board but no iron (no bother to us). Plenty of towels supplied daily. The safe is very big in comparison to all other resorts we have travelled on various islands. You can easily fit a laptop and all other belongings. Nothing missing in room. Remember to always take your room keys, the maids take it for security reasons.

Pools 4.5*: very nice. We chilled at the deluxe swimout pool areas. Yara was excellent, always coming around with drinks (yes, they come around the swimout pool as well). We preferred to the other pools. Party pool was always full, it looked fun, but we did not participate. Other pools looked good. Keep in mind these are not HUGHE pools like you would find in Riu or Iberostar. They are smaller pools, all connected in some sort of way. Nice set up.

Beach 4* / Ocean 1*: very disappointing! Like others have mentioned, if you like the beach and ocean, take my advice; don't think "it can't be that bad". It is! The beach itself is beautiful. Plenty of chairs (the vendor's are located only in front of the main entrance to the beach). You can find plenty of spots where vendors don't block your view. The ocean... oh the ocean. How can I put it nicely - horrible. If you are used to the Jamaician or Cuban or Dominican water - you will cry cause you really can't go into it to take a dip. Water shoes or not, when you fall, you scratch your knees etc. Hence the reason we chilled at the pool (we never do this on vacation). So if you are a beach/ocean vacationer, look else where!

Food 3*: buffets; breakfast was good. Lunch; hot dogs, fries etc. Dinner; same as lunch. NOTHING special. It wasn't what I expected in Mexico. I really wanted some local foods, nothing. No cooking stations (they used them to cook food for the buffets, not to put fresh on your plate). A la cartes; we did Miso - bit different than other japanasese we experiences in resorts, but the food was ok. No appetizers like usual; just the cooking show. Le Fondue; skip it. Las Olas; it was ok. We took the extra lobster; it was ok but since we had lobster in playa del carmen, it was a bit disappointing. :)

Drinks 2*: no real cocktail menu. Everyone (bartenders/servers) had their own menus lol. So if you asked for a crazy frog shot at different bars, you would get a different shot each time. They really use the bottom shelf booze for non platinum guests. This aspect is VERY disappointing. If we are all vising a 5* resort, we shouldn't be poured 1* alcohol. Also, they use sweetner in their drinks, so if you don't like that, beware. We stuck to mojitos; quite good. Ask for white rum, at least you'll get bacardi, not some brand we've never heard of :)

Shows 2*: we've been to 3* resorts that had better. The rockband they had one night was pretty good.

Where we were shocked is Playa del Carment (nothing to do with a resort). Last time we were in Riviera Maya was 2008, and we coudn't believe how corporate it is now. We came because of the old vibe, which no longer exists.

We have travelled with another couple, and they made our holiday. If we would have been alone with my hubby, we would most likely asked to be changed to another hotel.

service was good (on the sunset side/ riviera was horrible). Very professional.. maybe even too much ;)

The grounds are beautiful though. Well looked after. All four of us decided that we would not go back to GSP. I have been to Mexico twice before and loved it, our friends visited on the Tulum side, and said the other hotel (although a 4*) would be a 10* compared to GSP.

Room Tip: If you like to dip in the ocean, go elsewhere. You cannot enter the beautiful waters.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!