“My Mother Taught Me That If I Have Nothing Nice To Say I Should Say Nothing At All” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #94 of 200 hotels in Playa del Carmen

Nuff said!

Okay, well I'll say something in an attempt to be more helpful!

I chose this resort based on two things 1) the reasonable price and 2) the great reviews on Trip Advisor and I was quite excited about trying this resort despite the fact that we went after spending a week at the Royal Hideaway Playacar which is, quite simply, just in a completely different league. Nonetheless, I will endeavour to provide an objective review of the Grand Sunset Princess.

First of all, all reviews are very subjective and some people love this resort and some people don't. In the interest of disclosure, I will say that this was our 23rd trip to Mexico and our travel style has certainly evolved over time towards preferring very high end resorts (we have stayed at the Palace Resorts, El Dorado Casitas Royale, El Cid, Pueblo Bonito, Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo, Grand Mayan, etc.) so this did not meet those standards by any stretch of the imagination but we were travelling with friends that preferred a more budget friendly holiday and we did get a reasonable deal.

We booked the Grand Yucatan Platinum Suites (Adults Only) and I highly recommend paying extra for the Platinum option (but not in this section - more later). One of the benefits is unlimited a la carte priority reservations and this is a must as the buffets are TERRIBLE. Having said that, our trip started by our Concierge unnecessarily upsetting me about our dinner reservations. Immediately upon arrival we attended the Platinum Concierge desk to revise our dinner reservations. I had emailed my reservation preferences prior to our trip and yet they were not granted. We were given a reservation to the Mexican restaurant on our third night and to the Italian on our fifth night and only for two people, not the four in our party. When I asked the Concierge to book other reservations he said they were all full. However, the people before us booked their reservations for every night of their stay without a problem. I don't know why he did that because Platinum guests do get priority for dinner reservations. Then he said his system was down and there was nothing he could do. I had to get a little upset about the idea of eating at a buffet every night and then all of a sudden he gave us our requested reservations for every night of our stay at our requested restaurants. Not a great start - and for no reason!

The food at this resort is really not good and the a la carte's were only marginally better. We did have a great meal at Miso at a Teppanyaki Table - the food was delicious and we also enjoyed La Fleur the Gourmet Restaurant and the Fondue restaurant. Las Olas, the seafood restaurant, was surprisingly terrible and we split the seafood platter for two. And I ordered the veal at the Italian Restaurant based on all the great reviews on here and I must have got a bad piece as it was thick, chewy and virtually inedible. The Beef Carpaccio was good though. The Gala dinner for Platinum guests is a buffet and it was terrible too. Our first night we went to La Vaqueria. I ordered the ribs and they were just disgusting. They were just drowning in a plate of BBQ sauce which made them totally inedible. My husband had the t-bone steak though as did my friend and they enjoyed it.

What you need to know about the a la cartes is that the meals are not truly all inclusive. You may order a starter and a salad, or a soup and salad but only two of the three. I've never seen this before. Usually you can order as much as you want. And each of the specialty restaurants only have two or three options - very limited. The other thing is that at Miso you have to book either Teppanyaki, Sushi or Oriental and you get a different menu for each. If you book a Teppanyaki table you can't order an appetizer of Sushi. Again, never seen that before. We would have really liked to start with some Sushi but the set meal of beef, chicken, fish and veggies and rice was really tasty.

Back to the Platinum rooms, I do not recommend the Grand Yucatan Platinum Suites. The location is terrible and very far from everything. While the pool behind the building is nice and quiet during the day, which we enjoyed, I felt very bad for the people that paid extra for a swim up suite. They are virtually unusuable. The balconies of these suites and the swim up pool is mostly shaded all day long and by afternoon you can barely get any sun anywhere because the building shades the entire area. There is a private pool bar there that is staffed from 10 am to 6 pm and Marcos is great. This was nice to run down and get a great Ceasar before dinner.

No Grey Goose or real Baileys available anywhere so I'm assuming there are no other top shelf liquors as well - but those were the only two I tried to get so can only speak to them.

WiFi is almost non-existant. We got it for free with our Platinum upgrade but it was virtually useless. I could only get it in the room if I sat on the absolute corner of the bed and no service by the pool.

The grounds are beautiful and they are kept wonderfully clean. The rooms are also nice, although the furniture is getting tired. Bathrooms were nice but the slamming of the toilet door will drive you crazy (you'll know what I mean if you've been there).

If you're a non-smoker that cannot tolerate smoke - DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT! As a previous reviewer mentioned, you cannot get away from it. Many, many, many people here smoke and there just isn't a place to go to not be exposed to it. There are signs in the lobby area that directs smoking and non-smoking areas but people don't follow it and its not enforced. We couldn't enjoy the evening live music for the same reason. Even though it was outdoors, the smoke was just so thick that my allergies wouldn't allow us to sit and enjoy the music.

The Chill Out Bar was GREAT and very worth the 130 pesos per person that we paid to enjoy the day there. The Platinum section on the beach was useless. After walking 1 km to get to the beach, the Platinum section is way far down at the end. The beach is long and fine but not the beatufiul blue that you get in other parts of Playa and Cancun.

I gave this resort an average rating rather than a poor rating because, to be fair, many people will really like this resort. If you want to go for a party, or you"re a family that wants a reasonably priced vacation and great food isn't a requirement of yours, this will suit your needs just fine. I have checked out prices since our return though and they are much higher than what we paid which would be a deal breaker for me. We will not return in any event but if you get a great price and the things I've mentioned aren't a concern to you then you should enjoy your vacation. The service of the staff is really very good.

5,246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,332)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently got married here at the Grand Sunset Princess, and it truly turned out to be the wedding of our dreams. We had a group of about 46 people come with us and there were no complaints about the resort at all! Some people in the group had asked to be upgraded for their rooms, and the resort did everything they could to accommodate this.

We stayed in the Platinum room and for the small extra charge I would highly suggest it. Free wifi, free room service are just a few things you can take advantage of here. As well as access to the private beach area only for Platinum guests, which is a nice change from the public beach. Friends of ours stayed in the swim up rooms which were also very nice! But they had a ton of noise at night most nights. People slamming doors etc. At the Platinum area, there are security guards who patrol the area, anyone who is not Platinum is not allowed in that area. It was nice a quiet all of the time.

The food was very good here, the French restaurant was not our favorite, we really did not enjoy it. But the Japanese restaurant was excellent! Best spring rolls I've ever had! I also heard the Italian restaurant was very good as well! Even the buffet food was very good! One of the best buffets I've had. Tons of variety all the time.

The grounds were always nice and clean and the staff were extremely friendly.

The wedding itself was incredible. We were married at the Chill Out area which was nice and private and the wedding coordinators just go above and beyond to make your day perfect. If anyone is looking to get married here, I highly suggest the Chill Out area. You are paying a bit more but you are getting a gorgeous location. All of our guests commented to us that it was one of the most beautiful weddings they've been to. And best party :)

The resort is quite large. It took about 15-20 minutes to walk from the Platinum area to the main lobby. Most nights it was a nice walk but for those nights when you are too tired there are trolley's that run every 15 minutes or so that go from one end of the resort to the other.

Tons of different pools to choose from... from quiet pools, to the loud party pools which is nice to be able to choose depending on your mood.

The massages on the beach were extremely over priced. If you walk down the beach about 10 minutes you can find some smaller vendors who were charging $50 per couple for an hour massage with hot stones! If you are looking to do massages, take a walk down the beach. You will save yourself a ton of money and it's literally the best massage you'll ever get.

We would absolutely come to this resort again. Highly recommend it!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The large resort has lots to do and services to offer. Be careful what you book and make sure you get your cancellations in writing. We were charged for services we had cancelled and are currently trying to get this resolved. The pools are cool and clean. The hot dogs and hamburgers are usually undercooked but if you have a strong stomach that should be no problem. The concierge service were very helpful and polite. The room service night clerk most of the time is short and rude. All of the bell boys and shuttle service employees are polite. The ladies who clean the room are polite and cheery.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Tavelled with Sunwing Nov 8-15. Everything on time with flights, on time, great service.

We arrived close to 11 pm. Check in was on time and smooth (accommodated our request for higher floor room etc). No welcome drinks, but not sure if that was included or not.

Room 5*: beautiful, well decorated, cleaned daily; however, they could wash the floors better before room switch (after previous clients, and before the new ones check in). There were some weird red/brown dots in some spaces and we were not sure what to think it was. As some stated; ironing board but no iron (no bother to us). Plenty of towels supplied daily. The safe is very big in comparison to all other resorts we have travelled on various islands. You can easily fit a laptop and all other belongings. Nothing missing in room. Remember to always take your room keys, the maids take it for security reasons.

Pools 4.5*: very nice. We chilled at the deluxe swimout pool areas. Yara was excellent, always coming around with drinks (yes, they come around the swimout pool as well). We preferred to the other pools. Party pool was always full, it looked fun, but we did not participate. Other pools looked good. Keep in mind these are not HUGHE pools like you would find in Riu or Iberostar. They are smaller pools, all connected in some sort of way. Nice set up.

Beach 4* / Ocean 1*: very disappointing! Like others have mentioned, if you like the beach and ocean, take my advice; don't think "it can't be that bad". It is! The beach itself is beautiful. Plenty of chairs (the vendor's are located only in front of the main entrance to the beach). You can find plenty of spots where vendors don't block your view. The ocean... oh the ocean. How can I put it nicely - horrible. If you are used to the Jamaician or Cuban or Dominican water - you will cry cause you really can't go into it to take a dip. Water shoes or not, when you fall, you scratch your knees etc. Hence the reason we chilled at the pool (we never do this on vacation). So if you are a beach/ocean vacationer, look else where!

Food 3*: buffets; breakfast was good. Lunch; hot dogs, fries etc. Dinner; same as lunch. NOTHING special. It wasn't what I expected in Mexico. I really wanted some local foods, nothing. No cooking stations (they used them to cook food for the buffets, not to put fresh on your plate). A la cartes; we did Miso - bit different than other japanasese we experiences in resorts, but the food was ok. No appetizers like usual; just the cooking show. Le Fondue; skip it. Las Olas; it was ok. We took the extra lobster; it was ok but since we had lobster in playa del carmen, it was a bit disappointing. :)

Drinks 2*: no real cocktail menu. Everyone (bartenders/servers) had their own menus lol. So if you asked for a crazy frog shot at different bars, you would get a different shot each time. They really use the bottom shelf booze for non platinum guests. This aspect is VERY disappointing. If we are all vising a 5* resort, we shouldn't be poured 1* alcohol. Also, they use sweetner in their drinks, so if you don't like that, beware. We stuck to mojitos; quite good. Ask for white rum, at least you'll get bacardi, not some brand we've never heard of :)

Shows 2*: we've been to 3* resorts that had better. The rockband they had one night was pretty good.

Where we were shocked is Playa del Carment (nothing to do with a resort). Last time we were in Riviera Maya was 2008, and we coudn't believe how corporate it is now. We came because of the old vibe, which no longer exists.

We have travelled with another couple, and they made our holiday. If we would have been alone with my hubby, we would most likely asked to be changed to another hotel.

service was good (on the sunset side/ riviera was horrible). Very professional.. maybe even too much ;)

The grounds are beautiful though. Well looked after. All four of us decided that we would not go back to GSP. I have been to Mexico twice before and loved it, our friends visited on the Tulum side, and said the other hotel (although a 4*) would be a 10* compared to GSP.

Room Tip: If you like to dip in the ocean, go elsewhere. You cannot enter the beautiful waters.
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

So, I'll start off by saying that my husband and I first visited the Grand Sunset Princess a few years back alone. We have always stayed in the villas and have now managed to widen our travel group to 14 more of our friends and family (all of us flying in from different parts of the world). We've endured explosions and hurricanes but our love for the resort kept us coming back. Until this year.....

We have just returned from a week long trip with 12 of our friends. Prior to our vacation, I contacted the hotel both by phone and email to ask certain questions and make certain requests. None of which were adhered to, or answered. I find this ridiculous as previously, I've stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal TWELVE times and after the first 2 visits, they treat you like royalty and bend over backwards to make your stay as enjoyable as possible!

Originally I had asked if Colli was still at the villa bar. We wanted to bring a gift for him but never received a response. When we got there, we found him working at another bar within the resort and asked if it were possible to have him at our location just during our visit (remember, there was 14 of us). This request was never honored so we asked if we could have him just for our last day - no such luck. We have become friends with Colli over the years and the way he has treated us is one of the reasons we return. Last year we brought him back the fish we caught on a deep sea fishing excursion and the hotel management confiscated it - most likely to enjoy for themselves. Highly disappointing! As a result of asking for Colli, we had a very upset and distraught bartender questioning us about the job he was doing as apparently, his manager said it was because we didn't like him that we had requested Colli! Total BS! Not once had we ever complained about this poor guy, simply just wanted to spend the time with an old friend! Nonetheless, this set the tone for the week!

The one (and ONLY) thing the hotel DID get right, was making Alejandro the villa concierge! We were a little worried about Jonathon not being there but quickly realized that Alejandro was AMAZING and actually a far superior concierge than Jonathon (sorry Jonathon)! This guy gets things done faster than you would believe and ALWAYS has a smile on his face! He makes you feel like he too is an old friend and that it's not just a job! Job very well done in hiring him!

Now here are the TERRIBLES:

We get to our room and find out that they no longer provide you with large bottles of booze - only two mickies of crap! We would have purchased from duty free had we of known.

They no longer have STRAWS within the resort - have you ever tried to drink a frozen drink WITH NO STRAW? It ends up all over your face :(

Most days you were lucky to get new towels in your room - and really lucky if you had a washcloth!!!

No Internet the ENTIRE week (even though this is something you PAY for in the villa package). It's extremely difficult to enjoy your vacation when you're stressed out because you can't communicate with your children!!! Apparently, they were "working on it" all week! Wonder how long they've been saying that?!

For three days we had no hot water in the mornings! Seriously, as funny as it was to watch my hubby dance around trying to get clean, this is ridiculous!

The last day we were there we woke up to NO AIR CON in the entire resort. As much as I like the heat, waking up to a room that's 25 degrees is no fun. Not to mention eating at a buffet with 500 people where even the fruit was sweating!! How is it that the ENTIRE resort has no air? Did they not pay the bill?? Lol

From what we were told, the hotel is under new management. Apparently there is a woman from Spain running it. Here's my advice.... Get rid of the woman, put whoever USE to be in charge back in charge and save this hotel. Otherwise, I can assure you, my review will be one negative review of many!

Best of luck - sad to say we won't be returning :(

Solon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed on the sunset side in the platinum suites(room 4123)for 10 days 8-18 ....We are a young couple from ohio and are first time travelers to Quintana Roo...First off the staff was unbelievable...i cant express it enough...from room service to concierge to tram drivers lobby staff,,buffet service al a carte restaurants to security...They gave 120% at all times...all smiles and very attentive.... The grounds were immaculate at all times...It is a big resort but as others stated there are trams running all day and night so it was very easy to get around...We used olympus for our tours and airport transportation they were 100% accurate and on time..but i will write a review on their site..to get back to the resort...The staff really is amazing the main reason i have given five stars...The room AMAZING(4123) had decent ocean views with some mangroves and the chill out bar in view but it was facing the ocean not the jungle....There are a limited number of ocean views so we really lucked out....we sat on balcony and listened to the waves crashing in from the jacuzzi...the room had two twin beds instead of a king but we did not mind at all i slept like a baby every night...the beds are firm which i didnt think i would like but i was wrong...great sleep every night and pain free waking up...air conditioner worked just fine actually turned it off for most of time..the nights in november were nice and cool and the fans provided more than enough air flow....We had no problems with bugs...2nd floor room we had some tiny ants on the balcony but never bothered us and we also had a pair of geckos hang out everynight...we bought bug spray and never even touched it...and most of our time we were in the jungle exploring cenotes still zero problems....The beach was wonderful..the sunrises are astounding...but the left side or adult side i swam out over roughly 200yds and finally found a spot with out rocks and coral everywhere...the water buy the buoys was relatively clear of rocks though...no fish and alot of waves...the water was murky compared to most beaches we were visiting...but thats also due to time of year and currents...plenty of space to chill out on beach...their is a snack station on beach as well as bar....the food left something to be desired but thats due to commercialization to try to satisfy every visiting culture...from what we experienced thats how it was most places..I am not a big fan of seafood but loved the dinner from Las Olas...La fleur was satisfying and had some good steaks...but we must of ordered the wrong thing from La Hacienda because we did not like it at all...highly commercialized... the food was the only downside to the resort but room service was prompt and good...and we always found something at the buffets that we liked...just dont expect a very authentic spanish dining experience(xel ha) had some of the best food we had...we did not partake in any resort activities because we were more interested in cave diving and exploring the reefs and beautiful land..but everyone we talked to said they were awesome...the market and fire show were very nice...Some very talented artist there amazing what they can do with spray paint alone...Overall we both loved the resort and would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an amazing time in this area of mexico...only 20 usd for taxi to playa and they do offer a free ride but we booked too many tours and didnt have time so we took a taxi..!!!If you dont have a wonderful time and have a bad experience i am sure you are either a very miserable person and will never be happy or are very rude and disrespectful and deserve any mistreatment you received!!!!...we witnessed alot of people from all over being unbelievably rude and disrespectful to the staff and locals...and if you were to act like that anywhere you deserve to be miserable and worse respect goes along way...we took 300 in singles for tips from everyone at the resort and tour guides taxi drivers etc...and even if and when we didnt or forgot to still had an amazing experience...but if you are booking a package through a website you are saving a ton of money so use some of that to support the staff and locals...One last thing...one night we went out late for some night life and i forgot to lock everything up in the safe...there was over 1500 dollars in camera equipment..around 200 in singles usd.. a laptop two cellphones and other valuable items we left out and the cleaning service called security to come and lock our valuables away and make sure nothing came up missing...we had to call security when we got back and they came and explained and unlocked our safe and triple checked to make sure we had all of our belongings..Amazing amazing Amazing...just book and let all of your troubles disappear...

Room Tip: Platinum suites are beautiful room 4123 had a nice ocean view and was very clean..no mildew or bad s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, the room was great with a nice jacuzzi. A lot of pools and lots of activities. My only complaint is the service.the recptionist was moody and in a hurry, the concierge staff was also very moody and with long faces. But the worst was ine of the waiters at the mexican restaurant, he was super rude And not helpful at all, also the hostess at the orange lunch buffet was rude told us to just sit at any table and when we did she told us we couldnt sit there in a very rude way. So overall service is very poor.
The food was ok, expected somethibg betteer from 5 star resort...

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!