So, I'll start off by saying that my husband and I first visited the Grand Sunset Princess a few years back alone. We have always stayed in the villas and have now managed to widen our travel group to 14 more of our friends and family (all of us flying in from different parts of the world). We've endured explosions and hurricanes but our love for the resort kept us coming back. Until this year.....
We have just returned from a week long trip with 12 of our friends. Prior to our vacation, I contacted the hotel both by phone and email to ask certain questions and make certain requests. None of which were adhered to, or answered. I find this ridiculous as previously, I've stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal TWELVE times and after the first 2 visits, they treat you like royalty and bend over backwards to make your stay as enjoyable as possible!
Originally I had asked if Colli was still at the villa bar. We wanted to bring a gift for him but never received a response. When we got there, we found him working at another bar within the resort and asked if it were possible to have him at our location just during our visit (remember, there was 14 of us). This request was never honored so we asked if we could have him just for our last day - no such luck. We have become friends with Colli over the years and the way he has treated us is one of the reasons we return. Last year we brought him back the fish we caught on a deep sea fishing excursion and the hotel management confiscated it - most likely to enjoy for themselves. Highly disappointing! As a result of asking for Colli, we had a very upset and distraught bartender questioning us about the job he was doing as apparently, his manager said it was because we didn't like him that we had requested Colli! Total BS! Not once had we ever complained about this poor guy, simply just wanted to spend the time with an old friend! Nonetheless, this set the tone for the week!
The one (and ONLY) thing the hotel DID get right, was making Alejandro the villa concierge! We were a little worried about Jonathon not being there but quickly realized that Alejandro was AMAZING and actually a far superior concierge than Jonathon (sorry Jonathon)! This guy gets things done faster than you would believe and ALWAYS has a smile on his face! He makes you feel like he too is an old friend and that it's not just a job! Job very well done in hiring him!
Now here are the TERRIBLES:
We get to our room and find out that they no longer provide you with large bottles of booze - only two mickies of crap! We would have purchased from duty free had we of known.
They no longer have STRAWS within the resort - have you ever tried to drink a frozen drink WITH NO STRAW? It ends up all over your face :(
Most days you were lucky to get new towels in your room - and really lucky if you had a washcloth!!!
No Internet the ENTIRE week (even though this is something you PAY for in the villa package). It's extremely difficult to enjoy your vacation when you're stressed out because you can't communicate with your children!!! Apparently, they were "working on it" all week! Wonder how long they've been saying that?!
For three days we had no hot water in the mornings! Seriously, as funny as it was to watch my hubby dance around trying to get clean, this is ridiculous!
The last day we were there we woke up to NO AIR CON in the entire resort. As much as I like the heat, waking up to a room that's 25 degrees is no fun. Not to mention eating at a buffet with 500 people where even the fruit was sweating!! How is it that the ENTIRE resort has no air? Did they not pay the bill?? Lol
From what we were told, the hotel is under new management. Apparently there is a woman from Spain running it. Here's my advice.... Get rid of the woman, put whoever USE to be in charge back in charge and save this hotel. Otherwise, I can assure you, my review will be one negative review of many!
Best of luck - sad to say we won't be returning :(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This All Inclusive Resort is located in the stunning Riviera Maya. The hotel is perfect for an unforgettable vacation thanks to its magnificent surroundings. The style of the hotel's architecture blends in with and respects the environment. The interior decor and ample functional outdoor spaces provide the setting for a fantastic vacation.The hotel features VIP areas, such as the Platinum Suites and the Laguna Romance Villas. They are privately located and offer exclusive services, including two Platinum lounges serving continental breakfasts, aperitifs, and premium drinks, along with a concierge, 24-hour room service, a private pool with waiters, and a water circuit in the spa.Grand Sunset Princess Hotel has seven restaurants specializing in food from a wide range of cultures, including Asian, Latin American, Mediterranean, and European. Each restaurant has its own unique feel and a few of them are located directly by the sea.After crossing the spacious lobby, you'll come to the Grand Sunset Princess, located near Playa del Carmen. The hotel features a total of twelve sparkling pools and some have an adjoining Jacuzzi. There are more than thirty specialty restaurants and bars, a lounge and a beautiful beach facing the majestic Caribbean ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
- Grand Sunset Princess Review
- Grand Sunset Princess Mexico
- Grand Sunset Princess Resort
- Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico