“Nice hotel, awful service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #97 of 198 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Nice hotel, awful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, the room was great with a nice jacuzzi. A lot of pools and lots of activities. My only complaint is the service.the recptionist was moody and in a hurry, the concierge staff was also very moody and with long faces. But the worst was ine of the waiters at the mexican restaurant, he was super rude And not helpful at all, also the hostess at the orange lunch buffet was rude told us to just sit at any table and when we did she told us we couldnt sit there in a very rude way. So overall service is very poor.
The food was ok, expected somethibg betteer from 5 star resort...

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,627)
Caledonia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband, 1 year old daughter and I just returned from our stay (November 10th to 17th) and we have mixed feelings on this resort. We travelled through Sunwing and used private transfers.

This is a long read if you are interested...but very honest.

Our main comment was we wish that the detail that they put into the resort grounds (cleanliness) we wish we had gotten the same amount of attention in our room(s).

We received fresh towels and linens daily (hit and miss on how many) but could tell it was not swept properly , floors not washed properly, counters and tub not cleaned or wiped down as we purposely left sunflower seed shells on the floor and around the tub (We had a deluxe suite) and they stayed there all week. We were even leaving a couple bucks a day...very very very disappointing especially with our daughter crawling/walking around in the room. We had a male "maid" and wasn't the friendliest of people when we would see him.

There is a sign on the fridge stating what and how much gets replenished daily...we had to keep calling about the water being replenished. It is not housekeeping that does this. (3 bottles of water/4 varieties of pop/2 beers/1 tonic or soda water) Tap water is not drinkable.

We also had problems with our first room. When we signed in we were told we had a king size bed and a crib will be there. When we arrive to our room #2209 the room smelled musty (actually it stunk really bad) and it was not a king but two doubles but we had the crib. When we called the front desk we were told to call back the next day at 9am to change our room as King size rooms were not available. But as we started to look at the room we found the front of the cupboard door to the bar fridge was covered in mould and the bar fridge leaking and not working. I have an allergy to mould so my husband called the front desk yet again telling them the severity of the health issue and was told someone would be there right away. A half hour later my husband walked to the front desk to find out what was going on again they said someone would be there shortly. After an hour of waiting we were finally moved to #3243 and amazingly it had a King size bed which we were initially told they did not have any available. Plus we had to wait 2 days to get the crib...this did put a bad taste in our mouths to start our vacation.

My husband and I are avid travellers and have stayed at a wide variety of resort star ratings and multiple cruises. And as much as we try not to we were constantly comparing this to other resorts we have stayed at. (Three to five star resorts in Cuba, Dominican and other resorts in Mexico)

This was our first time travelling to an all inclusive with our daughter. My daughter was in love with the people down there and they did pay a lot of attention to her.

As a family resort it is very good. There are high chairs in all the buffets and a la cart restaurants and wading pools for the kids. Our daughter is not a picky eater so she did well with the food.

However...the elevators are far apart and there are only 4. Two on the Sunset side and two on the Riviera side. We were on the 2nd floor and with the stroller it was rather inconvenient for us. But we are active so we did not mind the walking. This resort is very big one of the biggest we have stayed at. They do have golf carts available to move around the resort if you do not want to walk.

The meals were ok to great all depending on time of day what buffet or a la cart you went to. If it was busy at the buffets don't expect to have your plates taken away or drinks refilled too quickly or at all. But if you went at a quieter time the service was great. Some of the food is repetitive. If it was for dinner the night before we saw it again for breakfast and lunch the next day. But we have seen that at other resorts we have stayed at. Plus we found that no matter what time we went if the food was low or gone the replenishment of food was very slow. My husband would try something and share with me and if I wanted to get some of my own, very rarely was it available when I went up as one of us was always sitting with our daughter.

The a la carts (Mexican, Asian and Fondue) the service and meal was AMAZING...this is where they get their 5 star rating based on their official website. We did all our dinners for 6 and found we got the better service than others that came in behind us PLUS at the Mexican there is a type of salad bar...we left the restaurant at 7:30 and not once had the food been refilled or switched out from underneath the heat lamps. For the Fondue...the meat comes cooked (beautifully I night add) and the fondue is cheese.

We did not attend any shows as we usually do not but they have pre-shows and they were very good, the Mexican night and the fire dance night were very well done.

We did not spend time at the beach as we found it very crowded and a lot of annoying vendors as it is a public beach.

We sat on the same side as the activity pool but behind it at the wading pool and we has an AMAZING waitress. We tipped her regularly and she knew what were we drinking and always brought us fresh pineapple juice for the baby.

Overall it was good vacation but not the best. Would I recommend it...sure but go with low expectations. We will not be returning. And as a side note which we did not know and would not have known until we met people down there and goggled it when we got home but the Riviera side of the resort was the side of the resort that had the 2010 methane gas explosion that killed five Canadian tourists and two Mexican workers, and injured another 17 people, including eight Canadians.

Any questions please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

One of the best resorts We've ever been to. Excellent rooms, good food and the friendlies service you'll ever get. These people work here because they want to not because they have to. Every one of them smiles and says hi at all times. Went to 7 a la carte restaurants and they were all better than most in any resort. Breakfast buffet was excellent and beach lunch time snack bar was above average.

One problem I saw is that people think that these people are their slaves. Just because you are in an all inclusive does not mean that you can treat them with disrespect. Give them a tip and smile. When you ask for something you can't find or you want, say please and thank you. They are happy to serve you and rememver you are in Mexico and they may not understand your english that well. Speak slowly and clear and treat them the way you would like to be treated.

Definately going back. Bravo to everyone and the resort. Great shows too.

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was most impressed by the amazing value of this hotel (extremely nice resort for low cost).

Pros:
Multiple, large pools with plenty of lounge chairs
Long strip of beach with chairs & shaded cabanas
Bars ALL over the resort and on the beach (good drinks)
Staff will take beverages orders & deliver them poolside
Mini-fridge always stocked with water, pop & beer
Several unique ‘A La Carte’ restaurants with nice selection of great food
Many activities to do during the day, but entertainment staff was not ‘pushy’
Entire resort is VERY well maintained & extremely clean
Rooms are up to date with modern furniture and décor

Cons:
Buffet at lunch time was inconsistent & often had a poor selection of random food (left over from dinner)
Wi-Fi is NOT free in rooms or lobby unless you upgrade to a Platinum Suite or Villa
Some of the older lounge chairs are not comfortable
Can be difficult to get reservations at a decent time to the restaurant of your choice
Since it is a huge resort, be prepared to walk a lot to get from rooms to restaurants, beach, etc..

Room Tip: Deluxe Junior Suite is worth upgrade for the location (closer to main pool and beach).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

So for starters I’d like to say this place is amazing. The grounds are stunning. Yes it is big but if you don’t want to walk there is a tram service every 15 minutes that always seemed to be going the other way lol. I would go back here in a second and highly recommend this place. We stayed in a Yucatan Platinum Swim out suite and I think it was well worth the extra to upgrade to Platinum however although the swim out was nice that particular pool seem a bit chilly due to the lack of sun on that side of the building. That did not stop us from using the swim out but we likely used it less than we would have liked. This section of the resort is also Adults only and that is kind of nice too. We also had a great bar right beside our Suite with an amazing bartender named Marcos. Ask for the Marcos special. There is also butler service in this section of the resort and you really don’t even need to get up out of your chair if you don’t want to. We paid $1300 each for 7 days including the taxes with our upgrades. When we do go back I’m thinking we would stay in the Princess Platinum section of the hotel as these rooms seem to be in a better location closer to the beach but don’t offer swim out suites, or the Laguna Suites which are centrally located and seem quite nice.
Now it seems the only way to do this review properly is to break it down into categories and review each one as there is just too much info to simply write it all out in paragraph form.

Check In/out 9/10
Beautiful lobby and friendly staff to greet you. You likely cannot get your room until after 3pm but they lock up your bags and give you a bracelet so you can enjoy the resort until after 3pm when you get your room. This really should not be an issue for anyone. You can eat, drink, swim, or find a shady spot for a nap if you’re tired.
The Room 9/10
The room is amazing. Marble everywhere, huge bathroom with Jacuzzi and walk in shower, twin sinks, a ceiling fan, ac works great, nice bed, flat screen TV limited English channels (DVD player in platinum suites) a couch and a desk. There is also a complimentary safe, 2 phones, free wifi (platinum only) a fridge that is stocked daily, rum rye and tequila (platinum only), and a good sized balcony. I’m sure I’ve left something out but the was nothing we didn’t have that we felt we needed. The bed was ok too not fantastic like a Hilton but not bad. Lastly yes if the floor is wet it becomes very slippery but that should be common sense.
The Pools 8/10
Wow There are pools everywhere. I think there are like 11-12 of them in total and they are massive. The pools are kept clean very clean. There is 3 or 4 swim up bars here too. They seem to use one of the bigger pools for activities and games it’s kind of like the party pool, lots of fun. If you’re looking for a quieter spot but still want a nice swim up bar no problem. Like I said there is a pool for everyone here and lots of chair to sit in both in the sun and in the shade. Only real issue I had is that some of the Jacuzzi sections did not seem to be working at all. They need to address that issue here and there but nowhere is perfect.
The Beach 8/10
The beach is huge and very nice. Lots of room, lots of chairs in sun and shade, an adult section, a platinum section with butler service, 2 bars, a food hut with burger hotdogs nachos, ect. There are some venders here but we never had an issue, a polite no thanks and that was the end. The water is a mixture of rock and sand so water shoes are a good idea. There is also a “Chill Out Section” It looked very nice but was $11 per day and very empty because of that. I believe they offer food and have another bar there. Discounted spa treatments too.
Buffet Restaurants 7/10
OK so there is lots of food at the buffets, some is good some is ok and some is not good. You almost need to try it to find out what is what. We never had trouble finding something to eat at the buffets but some days left items on our plates. There is tones of fruit, yogurt, bread, and salads that always seemed good. The hot items needed to be hotter. The good stuff seemed to run out too fast. But hey it’s a buffet and its better than others I’ve been to. Every morning they had an omelet station so you could get something hot and fresh to order. Same with pasta at lunch. Over all we had no issues finding something to eat and I’ve been told I’m picky.
A La Carte Restaurants 9/10
We went to 4 different A al carte. The Grill was very good we both ordered the t-bone and they were excellent. The Caesar salad was very good too. We enjoyed it so much we went here twice. I also would say the chicken looked pretty good too but I did not personally eat it. The servers we had were both friendly and knew what was going on. We also had the Japanese but you must request the Tapanaki or you won’t get it and believe me you want it. Excellent show, very funny and the food was good too. They served us beef, chicken, and fish with lots of veggies and rice. It’s really all about the cook that puts on the show WOW. The seafood place was also great I had the grouper and my Fiancée had the salmon both were fantastic. The shrimp app and seafood soup was also amazing. Desert here was not so hot but everything else was great. BTW the lobster dinner is an extra $390 pesos or roughly $33 so we skipped it. Lastly the Italian place. I had the Lobster Bisque it was good I also had the fillet of veal with pasta in a roasted garlic sauce. This blew me away. The fillet was so good I wish I’d eaten here a few more times. My fiancée had the chicken parm. She was not crazy about it but said it was not bad either. The issue was more the pasta she ordered. But that could be easily changed next time. The dessert here was likely the best as well.
The Entertainment 8/10
We saw 3 shows in our week. The fire show was awesome, the rock show was also great and on our last night we watched the horror show which was not too bad. Compared to my trip to Jamaica a few years

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to Platinum, Yucatan Platinum or Lugina Villas. Its well worth the extra money...
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just got back from a wonderful week at the Grand Sunset..I just want to comment on my stay and some of the negative comments read here which had me concerned prior to going.
-it takes less than ten minutes/ 1km to walk from the reception/ lobby area to the beach. This is a good thing, from what I saw most guests need the exercise! If this too far you should re- evaluate your life style, I was there with my 89 year old mother, she was fine.
-absolutely do upgrade to platinum, it is so worth it!
-food is good, not Michelin rated, not outstanding.
-marble floors, when wet are slippery, that is the same world wide..
- beach is beautiful, not the most beautiful in the world. Duh...and because it is a beach, you will find sand, and yes some rocks, and some aquatic plants too, imagine that!
-Service and staff was over the top friendly and efficient.
-hotel grounds, and public areas are spotless.

Room Tip: Go platinum, but due to the natural mangrove in front of the ocean view rooms the view is limited.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

we went to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites for a week and we got worry free Insurance from Sunwings they said that everything will be covered but they lying.
my husband had injury they told him go to doctor pay it and when you came back claim it see the Insurance will give your money back or not. o.k . doctors will charge u $150.0 just for see u if u need something you have to pay extra
somebody have stolen our cellphone from our room , they deactivated our keys , they opened our room and they stole our cellphone. security did nothing they asked us to go the police
the police couldn't speak English we came back to hotel just paid $50 for taxi with no result . no body said sorry

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!