“If you dont like this place, you have to be very picky!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza. 20 Lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #96 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
montreal
“If you dont like this place, you have to be very picky!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I were there to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The resort is immaculate, they were working 24 hrs a day to clean and maintain it. The marble floors are so beautiful. It rained while we were there and yes, it is slippery when it is wet, but i did not find these were worse than any other type of floor. You should take care when your feet and/or the floors are wet. We stayed in the villa lagunas, room 9112 and I have no complaints about the room or the bed.the shower was amazing! Wish I could have one of those in Canada! When we arrived there were 3 pints of alcohol in our room as well as some fruit, and a princess reusable bag, along with a note from the conceirge telling us they had made reservations for us at 3 restaurants with the dates and the times. That was really nice not having to wait in line to book our restaurants. ( Miso, steak house, and Mexican) The steak house was the best.
We booked the steakhouse for our anniversary as well. the steak and ribs were great. We ate at the buffet only on Friday night for supper and it was seafood night, lucky me! Clams, mussels, shrimp they were all delicious. The staff were friendly i only tip when I receive good service and I tipped quite a bit. I refuse to tip to get good service. The alcohol was probably watered down a bit, but they are free, so just ask for a double if this is a problem for you.The snack bar at the beach has the best ever paella! Don't miss out on it! The beach itself was okay, not as nice as the beaches I have been to in Cuba though. When you first go into the water it is a bit murky looking and does smell a little (not like human feces that I read in one review) however, if you walk out further (not deeper, just further as you can walk out quite a long way) the water is crystal clear and has no smell. I guess the only real complaint I have about this resort is that the sports bar (the 24 hour one) was soo cold, they had their a/c on way to high. the last comment I have to say is that yes this is a big resort, but it is beautiful. As another reviewer said, we can all use a little walk to burn off some extra calories. If you are really lazy you can take a shuttle down to the beach, but you are missing out on beautiful sights and scenery.

Room Tip: If I was booking a villa laguna again, I would want one in the building close to the walkway to get...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,613)
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went as a group of 4 to this resort in april 2012. It was an amazing vacation the grounds are spectacular, the rooms are very beautiful and the pools are gigantic. When we first arrived it was a little busy but still very quick to check in. We had a room close to the lobby so it was nice in the evenings to grab a drink at the sports bar which was open 24hrs, although we could hear the noise throughout the night from there. The grounds are huge its a very big resort but very well kept, always seen gardeners cleaning and pruning. We never had a problem finding a place by the pool, there is plenty of seats and cabanas for everyone. It was nice that there was so many pools one with loud music and activities, a quiet pool, a childrens pool and more than one swim up bar. It was always easy to get drinks and there was always people walking around asking if we needed anything. The walk to the beach was a few minutes but very enjoyable since the grounds are so beautiful the bridge to go across is very hot on the feet make sure you have your sandals on. The beach is huge lots of seats a bar and a snack shack with plenty of goodies. The only part we didnt like was the towel cards and wrist bands we have stayed other places that didnt have either and it was onle less thing to worry about on vacation. The buffets were good, not great but you would never go hungry as there is sooo much to choose from. The al a cartes were amazing especially the italian that was our favourite. We only seen one show in the evening and it was very good and entertaining. We booked and excursion to Xplor thru the hotel and it was a great time we would recommend it as long as you arent scared of heights since there is tonnes of ziplines. We had a perfect trip and would recommend this hotel to everyone if you want to have a wonderful time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lewisville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently spent another great vacation the the Grand Sunset Princess with my new bride. I first discovered this great hotel 3 years ago when I went there with on a work trip and I must say, I love it. First off, yes it is big. Which I like because there is always more to do. Weather you want to lay on the beach, go to one of the swim up bars, or just relax in quietly, you can.

The only complaint I have is the people feeding the Coities on the beach. There is a reason they don't want you to do that, because contrary to what you think, not every one wants to interact with the animals.

The food is pretty good. Can you find better, I am sure you can, but I can honestly say I never had a bad meal. The buffets are great, the Mexican and Italian restaurants where very good. I was not to thrilled with my steak at the grill, but no one is perfect.

We stayed in the Platinum section of he resort this time and while it was nice to have some of the extra amenities,however, the platinum pool was pretty lame. We had a better time at the beach and in the swim up bar pools. There are 3 swim up bar pools, one is the 'party pool' the other two are a little more tame if you will, so there is something for everyone.

And finally, the people that work at this resort are absolutly great. Sometimes there are issues, and we did have a couple, but for the most part, they do a great job. If you are thinking about booking here, ignore the negative post's here and just have a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was with a group of 9 women and we stayed in the Grand Yucatan adults only section. We had the swim out rooms and loved it! There was hardly anyone at the pool in this section - maybe we scared them away :) Leticia who works the bar there was wonderful! She even delivered a tray of drinks to one of our rooms one night as we were all getting ready to head out for dinner.

We also spent time on the beach and the water was beautiful - a bit rocky getting in, but worth it!

We ate at a few of the restaurants and enjoyed them all. We had the concierge book all of our reservations as soon as we arrived.

The only problem we encountered was one girl had her iphone stolen from her room while we were at dinner. She had been using it at the pool (nobody else around but us 9) and then that evening while we were at dinner someone entered her room and took it - they did not take anything else...She had forgotten to put it in the safe before leaving - so be sure to put anything of value in the safe - better yet, leave it home. The resort staff were not very helpful and would not even give her a copy of the incident/police report so she could show it to her insurance company.

But we did not let that incident ruin our trip!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from Sep 23-30 for my first time visit to cancun. I booked the platinum suite because I wanted the jacuzzi in my balcony. But I was pretty disappointed when i arrived, the jacuzzi is sooo dirty that i just don't want to touch it at all. Anyway, the advantage of platinum package is that your room is closed to the "shuttle bus station", believe me, you will need to take the bus from time to time, the resort is just sooo big. Other than that, your room is closed to the beach, less walking. And you will have a private pool and concierge and ROOM SERVICE!! its important because only platinum and the higher level ones have it.

HOUSE KEEPING: i had the weirdest experience with this hotel's house keeping. my bf and i went to the beach in the morning, then when we came back the room was clean and neat, then we go out to eat something, then the weirdest thing happened, when we came back and our pillows were messed and everywhere on our bed. we didn't touch the bed and pillows when we came back from the beach. So I was pretty scared if someone came to my room and check our stuffs and plan to steal something,i dunno. just makes me really uncomfortable. because my bf and i kept our room card in and out, theres no way anyone would go into my room except the stuffs.

FOOD: this resort has 12 restaurants, but they open 4 each day. the food is ok, not bad, but not delicious.

SERVICE: a server called Patricia, who works at the buffet, i believe she is a supervisor or something. SHE IS THE WORST SERVER EVER. i have never ever been treated like this. ok here's wut happen. The breakfast hour of the buffet is around 7-11, then lunch is started at 12:30. my bf and i didn't know exactly what time does the lunch buffet started, and we were already standing outside of the buffet wondering ( it was 12noon), there is NO time-table what-so-ever outside the buffet to let you know what time they open, there is only a "closed" sign (written in spanish and english) hang on the door. So my bf and i decide to go inside and ask them what time they open. Then Patricia approached us with a straight face, as she was approaching, she was mouthing to us and tell us the buffet is closed, not open yet, get out. then i asked her what time does it open. she said its 12:30pm and there is a time-table that you can check, i look around theres is NO timetable at all (inside and outside), then she rush us out and take off the "close" sign from the door and said to me "CLOSED, english, spanish, C-L-O-S-E-D". HOLY FU*K, is she mocking me?????? how rude is she?!?!?! i was SOOOO pissed off and yes, she just ruin my appetite.

i will definitely not coming back to this hotel. bad bad bad service, bad bad bad house keeping, one more thing to add-on. On my 2nd day of arrival, it rain the whole day, so i can't go to the beach or pool, this hotel has nothing to do. even thought it has a "theater room", the most stupid + cheap design theater room ever, all the seats are in ground level, its like a big gym. it has soooooooo many chairs and if u happen to sit at the back, there is NOT way that u can see the front. and their shows? come on, soooo boring and stupid.

well yes, i will not go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Platinum and higher level. though platinum is undoubtedly better, because it is closed to the shut...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our 3rd time to Cancun, 1st time at The Grand Princess. We were there from Sept 25-Oct 2, 2012. We had such an amazing time we are already planning on returning next year. Upon check-in, we were upgraded to the jr. suite with separate jacuzzi tub with jets. Yay! The resort is big and beautiful. The grounds are immaculate! The buffet was pretty good and the a la carte restaurants were fun. Yes, there are rocks at the beach, but bring water shoes and you will be good to go. There are lots of little fish if you swim (or walk) about 1/4 mile out. I'm only 5'3" and the water was never above my chest, so this is great especially if you have small children with you. The room was cleaned very well every day and the fridge was fully stocked. My husband and I used the gym every day which you will need after eating all that great food. Samuel was our waiter a few times and he is excellent! Everyone is very friendly and says hola as you pass by. We went to the sports bar a few times to watch some sports and eat nachos. The staff by the pool who do the activities are very fun. You can participate or just watch. It's up to you. If you wanted to sunbathe someplace more quiet, there are other pools to hang out at. I was so in awe of this resort even on the 8th day when we left. I highly recommend this resort....I miss it already!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were at the Grand Sunset Princess on September 5 to the 12th. It was our first time to Mexico. We got the Platinum package when we booked our tickets. We give this resort a 10 out of 10 for everything. What a lovely place to spend your vacation. We were treated like royalty. Our concierge Octavio and Estavan at the Platinum suits were incredible, always with a smile on their faces and ready to help with any situation. Our 10 year old daughter had a sniffle and Octavio called a pharmacy in town to bring us a decongestant, it arrived a few hours after our request. Our room smelled a bit musty when we first walked in and we told Estevan and he switched our room immediately. We had dinner in the A la carte 3 times, the Japanese was an amazing and fun dinner, Italian was awesome and steak house was superb. The buffet was amazing, so many choices and all looked and tasted very fresh. The drinks were very good. The service is second to none, we enjoyed chatting with some of the employees and respect there efforts to do the best they could. I can't say enough about this resort, we were 100% satisfied with everything. The beach was beautiful, we went very early (6am) to see the sunrise and there were people cleaning, to be exact raking the sand so it would be perfect. The pool was amazing. Platinum is the way to go. This resort is so CLEAN, there are people everywhere cleaning and smiling making sure everything was perfect. The shows, we saw three, were very entertaining and fun. The gift shop was not over priced and very clean. When you passed an employee they always greeted us with "HOLA" and a big smile. I have never tipped so much in my life, but these people sure deserved it. This was a vacation of a lifetime and I would definitely go back and stay the 10 days or more. We hope to go at Christmas time or February again. Our special Thanks to Octavio at the Platinum concierge for all his help. Book your trip at the Sunset Princess (Platinum) and you will not regret it, in fact you will never forget it!!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4128 in the Platinum section and it was perfect!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!