“Family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza 20 lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #101 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“Family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying on the Riviera side in junior suites and I am missing it already. There were 20 of us ages ranging from 5 to 70 and we all had a wonderful holiday although my mum and stepdad who have walking difficulties did struggle with the size of the resort but we hired a wheelchair from reception for small deposit which made all the difference and it was easy enough to get on the buggy which ran from lobby to beach.

The majority of staff were really friendly and worked so hard but I feel there should be more of them especially on reception where check in and out took far too long and it was often difficult to get drinks from bar especially in evening when the square was busy.

I can honestly say I have never stayed anywhere with such beautiful grounds, the pools lovely although again due to lack of staff and people being lazy drink cups were left poolside and never collected and by end of each day the area looked really dirty and there were wasps everywhere.

The chill out area on beach which cost 130 pesos for day was lovely and well worth it with constant drinks and free wi fi, although I agree with other people for such a large resort this should be supplied free to everyone.

I would give the hotel 5 stars apart from the food, breakfast and lunch was always really good but evening buffet was often hit and miss although to be fair there was usually something I could eat. We tried 4 al a carte restaurants which with such a large group was extremely difficult to book and we always ended up having to eat at 6pm or 9pm. The grill was my favourite, Italian very good, we celebrated my daughters birthday there and staff really looked after us and made it a lovely evening, Chinese was good but Mexican was awful and that was the opinion of all 20 of us!

Evening entertainment was very good, and Thursday Mexican market was a nice touch. The youngsters in our group enjoyed the 24 hour sports bar and nightclub.

Did 5 trips whilst there, Explor at night was really good, I am a real coward but actually did all the activities including the 120ft zip wires, swimming with dolphins amazing, Xel Ha beautiful, Coco Bongos although it was the one in Playa del Carmen not Cancun was great night, Pirate show slightly disappointed with show but food excellent, book with Carlos who works for one of travel companies in lobby much cheaper than Thomsons.

Overall a wonderful holiday, I loved Mexico and would definitely recommend this hotel although food could be improved.

Room Tip: If you want to be near lobby and restaurants ask for room in block 7000
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear "mwicks48",

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Is always a joy to learn that we were able to fulfill our main principle, which is not only to satisfy but to surpass the expectations of our guests.

We would sincerely like to thank you for taking the opportunity to air your thoughts about our hotel and we will be more than happy to offer you a warm welcome on your next visit to Playa del Carmen.

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Cannot fault the beauty of the property or it's location, it's paradise... but in terms of quality of service & reliability of facilities it's 3 star at maximum. 45 minute wait to check in at reception, long queue at reception every time you needed to go there for anything, at mealtimes you were asked if you wanted a drink and most times it came just as you were finishing your meal or not at all, very unhappy looking staff everywhere particularly the entertainment team who never spoke or even looked at you in passing, a room which at first look was beautiful but 3 times the toilet blocked and the aircon leaked water all over the floor. Minibar was supposed to be restocked daily but in 14 days it must have happened maximum 5 times. Very limited evening entertainment. Considering the size of the hotel, there must be a maximum of about 100 seats around the plaza bar where the evening entertainment takes place so everyone crammed in. Poor design in general especially for wheelchair users as there are no ramps so people struggling to go up and down steps without harming the person in the wheelchair by the plaza bar. Not enough sunbeds at the beach tho plenty of room for them. Very poor attitude of the watersports team at the beach so would recommend walking further down the beach to the right where you'll find an independent watersport facility (jetskis, sailing, etc) who are £10 cheaper and much more friendly than those associated with the hotel. It may sound ridiculous but even after saying all this we did have a fabulous holiday but it wasn't anything to do with staying at the Grand Riviera Princess... it was thanks to the location which enabled us to swim with dolphins, snorkel with whale sharks and green turtles and walk under water with stingrays.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We regret the inconveniences you may have encountered during your last visit and the discomfort you had with the service level perceived from some of our staff members and we as well. Please be assured that appropriate measure has been taken with the executives involved.

Once again I would like to extend you our most sincere apologies for not having met your expectations.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We recently stayed at the Laguna suites at the grand riviera princess. This upgrade was well worth the money. It is a gated area that is truly adults only. The pool is larger than the privileged pool and full sun all day so nice and warm. The area was never crowded and very close to the main lobby area for all the restaurants. You get priority bookings at the restaurants and a staff member at the pool area to look after the bookings for you. Would highly recommend this area for anyone that wants a relaxing vacation with all the amenities of a large resort without having to deal with crowds

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear "Mfwebber",
Thank you for selecting the Grand Riviera Princess for your recent stay and taking time to share your feedback with us via Trip Advisor!

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and be able to provide you the most memorable stay in the Mexican Caribbean.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife and I got married on June 6th, 2014 at the Grand Riviera Princess Resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Guillermo Sierra was our wedding coordinator and he did such an amazing job with making our dream wedding come true.

We made a deposit to have our wedding at the resort a year prior to our big day and we were assigned Guillermo as our wedding coordinator. At times, it was difficult to get a hold of Guillermo via phone and email which resulted into a little frustration for my wife and me but once we communicated with Guillermo, he was more than accommodating to our needs. He provided a significant amount of information based on the options we had to choose from for our wedding (flowers, wedding location, food menu, decorations, reception entertainment, etc…). He did make the process of selecting items for the wedding and making payments very seamless.

Upon our arrival to the resort one week before the wedding, Guillermo provided a schedule of times for us to meet to finalize any last minute items for the wedding. His enthusiasm to make sure that we had the perfect wedding definitely made it easier for my wife and I to relax and leave everything to him to handle. It was a tall task because we had a total of 95 people coming to our wedding. When the wedding day arrived, Guillermo delivered! Everything went so smoothly from start to finish and he was there every step of the way. We couldn't have pictured a better wedding without his help. My wife and I will be forever grateful to him because he set up the perfect wedding for us.

SUGGESTIONS:

Make sure you set up times to speak to Guillermo via phone during the wedding planning process. Guillermo was very busy working on several weddings including ours so it was a bit difficult to get a hold of him at times.

A video on how wedding planning process works with a wedding coordinator from the Grand Riviera Princess would definitely help future couples make the decision to have their wedding at the resort. Posting this video on the resort’s site will give couples easy access on what to expect when having a wedding at the resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Robby J
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Grand Riviera Princess. Thank you for recommending us!

It is an honor to know that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff, especially from Guillermo. He will be thrilled to know that he collaborated to make your wedding wonderful.

Once again, thank you for recommending us. We truly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Best Regards,
OXFORD UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Princess Rivieria, Platinum Suite/Yucatan for two weeks. This is advertised as adults only area and we paid extra for this.
Firstly the staff are all extremely hard working, the waiting staff in Buffett get very very busy and they all work really hard to keep the tables turning. The A La Carte are very attentive and we found the staff in the Mexican the best, with the duty manager checking on our evening throughout.
I would like to really focus on the Adult only section because if you are thinking of booking this, at the extra cost we don't think it is worth it. We do not usually holiday at this time of year so a holiday resort full of kids is our idea of a nightmare. Thats why we picked this resort. A large resort with Adults only section but with a large amount of choice, close to Playa etc.
The adult only section is a collection of rooms on the rivieria side of the hotel. There is an Adult only pool and bar but these can be used by other guests in the hotel, so no need to pay extra for this perk. The Adult only pool is also shallow and not a pool for swimming/lengths, just a dip pool.
The Platinum Suite facilities are listed as below
1. DVD library - deposit required, we did not use this facility but we did use the DVD tv's to watch some holiday photos.
2. Pillow Menu - deposit required - again we did not use , the hotel pillows were fine for us
3. 24 hour Room service - we did use this twice as I was ill and unable to leave the room. Breakfast not brilliant soft toast and cold, but excellent club sandwich. Fairly quick service.
4. Platinum wrist band & concierge service n Platinum lounge - The concierge was rarely there, always seemed to be a "back in 10 min" sign up especially when we wanted to book a la carte. When there was someone there, there was a queue which I guess is understandable. We also had a bad experience one evening. I had been very ill for 4 days unable to eat, we called to cancel our A La Carte booking and were told that was no problem, it was rebooked we just needed to pop the ticket in to exchange for the new time. Well once I was feelign better and once we managed to get to the concierge desk at the same time as the concierge, he was then very rude and told me it was too late to swap the ticket because it was out of date. No one had said it needed to be taken in straight away, but the most frustrating thing was even though I was trying to explain I had been ill, that i had missed a large part of my holiday and just wanted to make bookings for the rest of our break, or at least get a receipt for the booking we had told we had, the concierge kept answering the phone and talking to other guests during the conversation. The best service we got from the concierge was a change of towels on the rare occasion there was someone at the desk.
5. Private Pool with Butler service - as I say this was the adult pool and everyone had access. Unless there was a pool we were not told about!
6. International Newspapers - yes I think maybe we did see these in the bar
7. Free use of internet - this was good, we could use this in the room, it was slow but was plenty for what we needed. However I think if anyone sat in the Riviera Lobby bar they would also be able to log into this platinum service as we did
8. Private Check in, towel and welcome drink - we arrived late in the evening , so no personal service required and its a free bar so welcome drink was available to all
9. Domestic, international & Premium brand drinks - this was never explained. There was ample choice of drinks though, others drinks were marked with prices , were these available to us at no charge, I do not know, as no one explained.
10. 1 Special Dinner - we asked the concierge what this was and they did not know.
11. 24 hour concierge service - well more than 50% of the time we visited the desk there was no one there
12. Exclusive continental Breakfast area in Platinum Lounge - NO i think this would have been in the Tapas restaurant but it was not open the whole two weeks we were there
13. Hors D'Oeuvres at the Platinum lounge - Yes there were snacks available and the bar staff were excellant
14. A La carte breakfast and lunch service in the buffet restaurants near the platinum lounge. Never saw this, it was never shown to us on the map at arrival. I assume this was the Tapas bar that was never open.
15. Reservations for A La Carte - on our second day we received 2 bookings made for us. These bookings were made at 6 and 6.30. This was too early but we did manage to make these. The food at la Olas was excellent but due to the early booking we were sat in an area full of screaming children , really didn't make for a relaxing evening, My tip to the reservations is if you are booking Adults only guests into a la carte try to pick a later time with less children, or have an adults only section. We overheard other guests complaining they could only get early bookings and they thought that the later times were being saved for Platinum, well trust me they were not , we struggled to get any bookings before and after I was well enough to eat again. This reservation system really puts a downer on the holiday relaxation experience. shame because the food we did get to try Las Olas, Hacienda, sushi and Steak house were excellant. the oriental was like a bad chinese take away.
16. Gift in the room . was this the fruit?
17. Discount on green fees - we did not use
18. Discount on Spa Treatment - we did not use. We would have used this but you are constantly harassed for massage and so you are too scared to actually ask about prices or services.
19. Discount on Water Sport - well we used this for diving and Parasailing but were given no discounts
20. Reserved area on the beach with butler service. The platinum area on the beach is not adults only, so we used this only once, service was ok. The Adult only section on the beach also had a butler service, and anyone can use, no need to pay extra. The bars are well staffed though so it isn't too much hassle to get up and get a drink
21. 1 water circuit at the spa - again we didn't use, and didn't want the hassle of asking. I am sure this one free service would have led to us having a big sell on everything else
22. 1 beach bag - yep love this bag , brilliant for towels
23. Special Amenities in the room ?????? who knows what that is
All in all the hotel was clean , although we did see managers walk past left plates, I have never seen that before, usually no matter what your role in the hotel all staff are that see something that needs doing do it. Very big hotel but we like a walk. We never found the tequila or Maya bar even though they are signed posted and marked on the map. if you follow the signs to the Dive club you end up in the Chill out so the signage needs to be much much clearer. Perhaps not the moment you arrive, as you are jet lagged tired etc but the day after someone could take you through what is available. We found an archery range on our last day!
The Chill out which you pay extra for is $13 a day, for a nice beach bed, a brilliant waiter service and wifi, is a must at least once. People had already gone into the Chill out area via the beach and got the best seats before the chill out opened at 9 and then went up for their tickets. I guess if you are cheeky and not like us British who like to queue and take our turn, you could cheat in this way.
The buffet food was good, lots of choice but not very hot. The Beach BBQ was also good, with hot dogs, burgers and nachos in the day. I do think it would be good to keep the hand wash filled though, sanding fingers are not good with burgers.
As mentioned I was very ill so we did use the medical centre and they were brilliant, thank you for saving 5 days of my holiday.
The evening entertainment was good, but the band broke for a pre show and a later show upstairs which was a shame because it really left those who were relaxng in the bar with a dull evening after such good music, until after the show finished. The hotel needs to remember there are adults here too and not just families who like stage shows.
A taxi to and from Playa was 200 peso, the hotel bus was 40 Peso per person.
I hope this review has been helpful

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
The management and staff would like to thank you for your recent visit and feedback regarding your recent stay at our beautiful resort.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for the poor impression we have made. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in Playa del Carmen so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and satisfaction.

Sincerely yours,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We have just returned after 2 weeks in this hotel and everything was just amazing!
When arriving at the hotel the bell boys take your bags and later deliver them to your room, you then go to check in and waiters come over with beer or a soft cocktail.
We got to our room 1076 just a standard room and it was lovely! (The safe is free too)
The buffet restaurant is lovely they have a different theme every night and the waiters come over to offer you drinks.
The speciality restaurants... If you are platinum you can book in a week in advance, if you are standard you can only book 2 days in advance and only after 2pm so one day we queued up from 1:40pm with 3 family's infront of us by the time we got to the desk the time and place we wanted was booked up?! But then when you go into the restaurant they are pretty empty so we just turned up and asked for a table said we couldn't get booked in and they let us in :) the orenital was lovely we went back twice! I would not recommend the Mexican it was not nice! We also went to the Italian that was very yummy! Just remember men to take long trousers else you get sat outside even though they like kids wear shorts!!
The evenings where ok they had singers in the main bar most nights which we got abit sick of but they had a show on evrey night in the theatre at 9:30 and every show was good very professional! There is also the sports bar which is 24hr with food (nachos, burgers, chips and hot dogs)
The pools where good it was like getting into a bath though no where to cool down! The animation team did activities and games by the main pool they are not appropriate for children so I wouldn't recommend going to this pool.
The beach was amazing clear water white sands... Hard to get a sun bed though! You can get snorkel and mask for free at the water sports hut you can also take out a canoe and catamaran for free! There is a beach BBQ too.
The shops on the resort are very very expensive! Make sure you take everything with you! Buy inflatable rings for the pool of eBay and take them with you!
Don't buy the wifi.... I cannot say anymore ;)
We went on afew trips underwater world I would not recommend, swimming with dolphins that was amazing! Xplor I would highly re combed that was also amazing! But make sure you take your insect repellent! And the bar crawl to coco bongos that was ok the 3 bars you go to first are better than coco bongos I guess the one in cancun will be better we went to the one in playa. If you go in trips early in the morn in the lobby bar they have a selection of pastries and tea and coffee which is good!
There is always a cleaner where ever you go! The place is spotles and they work very hard!
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!
We will we back!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for selecting Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa for your recent holidays as well as for having posted your experience.

We are more than pleased to hear that this has been a great experience. I will share your comments with all the staff, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

We thank again for your valuable comments and hope to be your home for a next trip.

Kindest Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I travelled and stayed at this hotel in May 2012 with a friend after deciding we needed an girly break away, after hunting high and low for the right hotel for us I could not be happier that we decided on Grand Riviera Princess.
From the moment we arrived the staff were very warm and welcoming which was just what we needed after a long flight. On arrival our room was upgraded & our luggage was taken by staff which they delivered to our room.
Room was fantastic with two double beds, walk in wardrobe, a lovely large clean bathroom including a shower and separate juccuzzi, and fridge was full of soft and alcoholic drinks. Cleaner took care of our room each day leaving us towel art which looked great.
The grounds were maintained to a very high standard and looked great every day.
Not short of pools at this hotel either, always sunbeds to be found.
Beach was nice and if you can defiantly try out the privilege area of the beach, the sunbeds are comfortable and staff fantastic, you do need to get up or lift a finger for a single thing as they bring you drinks and food all day long!
Restaurants are great too, didn't have one bad meal and always found something to eat and we are fussy eaters.
Try out the onside nightclub has a great atmosphere.
All in all we both had a fantastic holiday and I can honestly say I haven't yet been on another holiday that lives up to the Princess.... I hope to return soon

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Michaela C

There are no words to express my most sincere gratitude about your valuable and helpful comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

I will like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff and also for pointing out the beauty of our grounds and our gastronomy.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Warms Regards,
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!