If your going to Mexico and want your dream vacation do not stay here! My husband and I have been to Mexico four times and this is the worst resort yet, we wanted to switch halfway through our vacation to another resort and pay for it but they told us if we tried to check out early they would charge us three extra days! We love Mexico and saved up this year to take our children on their dream trip this was not what I had in mind.
The Good: The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The rooms are pretty on the inside but when you open your back door there is seriously the smell of rotting flesh. It is horrible so the nice outside jacuzzi cannot be used unless you wear nose plugs. The people are wonderful they are friendly and try to help in any way they can. Cynthia at Lomas travel rocks! She was awesome. The pools are pretty and well kept as well. The special dinner places are good if your at the right ones, MISO and the Steak house are the best. Mammitas beach (pay extra) is beautiful and highly recommended. Xplor adventure park was the highlight of our trip! I highly recommend this to anyone. The zip lining was the best part of our trip and the kids are still talking about it! The coaties are really cute at the resort as well.
The bad and ugly: First of all when we reserved our room we were under the impression we were getting a swim out room with butler service, nope if your platinum you get a room with no view but a jungle wall and have to hike to a private pool that has several other platinum members in it. FAIL! Pools also close at 8 PM. The place is huge, I like to walk but this was extreme. We were all the way down by the ocean so to get food we had to hike for half hour to get to the front grounds everyday three times a day if you want to eat. There is a tram but it only seats a few and you wait 20 minutes then other people will cut the line and just jump on so it's leave your family or walk! It wouldn't have been so bad but I hurt my ankle the third day of our vacation and was forced to walk on it anyway so I could eat. The rooms were nice like I said but smelled if you opened the back door. They don't restock your liquor after the first day. The refridgerator and DVD player in our room didn't work and had to be replaced, our toilet didn't work and had to be fixed the first day, then halfway through the visit when we complained they put us in a different room where again we had issues with things working this time the TV, DVD player etc. My son and his friend stayed in a different room and experienced these same issues. Speaking of the DVD library it is old movies and you have to put a $20 deposit on each one!! I paid extra to be platinum and didn't feel special believe me. Next is the ocean, it smells horrible and is brown! I wanted my kids to see the beautiful ocean and none of us wanted to swim in this horrible looking water. We had to pay extra money to go to another beach that was absolutely gorgeous but again we tried to take the complimentary shuttle and tried booking two days in advance and never got on! Next issue, is they take pictures of you at the resort don't do it! It is $25 per picture!!! Insane! Vendors are everywhere trying to sell you stuff on the beach. On to the food - It is horrible the room service food is so bad my eight year old daughter said she couldn't wait to get home and eat people food. My husband and I both lost 10 pounds at an all you can eat inclusive resort if that tells you anything. Last part this is the ugly, we used the hotel teller one time during our stay and when I got home I found out my whole account had been cleaned out using that debit card number and our pin. They got over $1000. The bank informed me that the teller probably had some sort of device to copy the card and someone was watching for the pin. I have shut off the card now but it was the cherry on top of the vacation.
Don't go to this resort there are several other beautiful resorts. Every other time we have went to Mexico we barely needed to leave the resort until this one. I enjoyed the trip overall because I got to spend a lot of time with my kids and we took nice excursions since the resort sucked overall. Mexico is awesome this resort is not. Money is the name of the game and if you already spend over 3K to stay here like I did you shouldn't have to spend more money. Also, the resort is aware of this as I went to them in tears to try to get out of the resort and to a new one and they only switched our rooms. So any response they write to this is bogus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid “Paseo de los Dioses” is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll.Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon).A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, getaroom.com and Odigeo so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico