“Honest Review Good Bad and Ugly! Read this!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza 20 lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #98 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
South Haven, Michigan
“Honest Review Good Bad and Ugly! Read this!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

If your going to Mexico and want your dream vacation do not stay here! My husband and I have been to Mexico four times and this is the worst resort yet, we wanted to switch halfway through our vacation to another resort and pay for it but they told us if we tried to check out early they would charge us three extra days! We love Mexico and saved up this year to take our children on their dream trip this was not what I had in mind.

The Good: The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The rooms are pretty on the inside but when you open your back door there is seriously the smell of rotting flesh. It is horrible so the nice outside jacuzzi cannot be used unless you wear nose plugs. The people are wonderful they are friendly and try to help in any way they can. Cynthia at Lomas travel rocks! She was awesome. The pools are pretty and well kept as well. The special dinner places are good if your at the right ones, MISO and the Steak house are the best. Mammitas beach (pay extra) is beautiful and highly recommended. Xplor adventure park was the highlight of our trip! I highly recommend this to anyone. The zip lining was the best part of our trip and the kids are still talking about it! The coaties are really cute at the resort as well.

The bad and ugly: First of all when we reserved our room we were under the impression we were getting a swim out room with butler service, nope if your platinum you get a room with no view but a jungle wall and have to hike to a private pool that has several other platinum members in it. FAIL! Pools also close at 8 PM. The place is huge, I like to walk but this was extreme. We were all the way down by the ocean so to get food we had to hike for half hour to get to the front grounds everyday three times a day if you want to eat. There is a tram but it only seats a few and you wait 20 minutes then other people will cut the line and just jump on so it's leave your family or walk! It wouldn't have been so bad but I hurt my ankle the third day of our vacation and was forced to walk on it anyway so I could eat. The rooms were nice like I said but smelled if you opened the back door. They don't restock your liquor after the first day. The refridgerator and DVD player in our room didn't work and had to be replaced, our toilet didn't work and had to be fixed the first day, then halfway through the visit when we complained they put us in a different room where again we had issues with things working this time the TV, DVD player etc. My son and his friend stayed in a different room and experienced these same issues. Speaking of the DVD library it is old movies and you have to put a $20 deposit on each one!! I paid extra to be platinum and didn't feel special believe me. Next is the ocean, it smells horrible and is brown! I wanted my kids to see the beautiful ocean and none of us wanted to swim in this horrible looking water. We had to pay extra money to go to another beach that was absolutely gorgeous but again we tried to take the complimentary shuttle and tried booking two days in advance and never got on! Next issue, is they take pictures of you at the resort don't do it! It is $25 per picture!!! Insane! Vendors are everywhere trying to sell you stuff on the beach. On to the food - It is horrible the room service food is so bad my eight year old daughter said she couldn't wait to get home and eat people food. My husband and I both lost 10 pounds at an all you can eat inclusive resort if that tells you anything. Last part this is the ugly, we used the hotel teller one time during our stay and when I got home I found out my whole account had been cleaned out using that debit card number and our pin. They got over $1000. The bank informed me that the teller probably had some sort of device to copy the card and someone was watching for the pin. I have shut off the card now but it was the cherry on top of the vacation.

Don't go to this resort there are several other beautiful resorts. Every other time we have went to Mexico we barely needed to leave the resort until this one. I enjoyed the trip overall because I got to spend a lot of time with my kids and we took nice excursions since the resort sucked overall. Mexico is awesome this resort is not. Money is the name of the game and if you already spend over 3K to stay here like I did you shouldn't have to spend more money. Also, the resort is aware of this as I went to them in tears to try to get out of the resort and to a new one and they only switched our rooms. So any response they write to this is bogus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for taking your time to share your experience at Grand Riviera Princess with TripAvisor’s Travelers.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experimented in your stay with us.

Regarding your comment about the bad smell, I would like to clarify that is naturally produce by the growth of green algae on the surface of the water. At the end of its natural cycle, the process of algae decomposition begins which produces an unpleasant smell.

Also I would like to inform you that we have a Beach BBQ and grill, so is an option near to the beach to get food.

About the color of the water, allow me explain that is caused by the red mangrove that we have in great quantity in our property, surrounding part of the beach, is protected by our government and is contained by a flood area, so when it rains, the water level quickly increases, getting a brown-red color, due to the stannic acid contained in the mangrove and through a natural drainage gets to the ocean providing vital substances with its respective environmental benefits.

We have detail documentation together with water analysis conducted by differents laboratories, ready to be provided if you wish.
I regret if this situation affected your vacations.

I have noticed your comment about the food and I can assure you that I will pass your review to our Executive Chef to check our quality standards although I regret that has not been satisfied with the multiple food choices we have for our guests.

We really appreciate your comments and observations and it will be taken into consideration and can assure you that we will do our best to improve our service.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Grand Riviera Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
Chandler, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Well kept resort, food was above average with international choices so even the picky eaters can find new favorites. The homemade salsa was the best.
Rooms were clean and well kept. The common areas around the rooms could be improved, littered with room service trays that weren't removed before cats and raccoons picked through it.
For the cost, you can't get any better.
Without an upgraded room you are put at the back of the list for the shuttle and restaurants, probably worth the upgrade considering the cost of wifi.
A medium sized resort that you can walk from end to end in 15 minutes.
I would go back there and recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the adult section or platinum section, the benefits are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We really value the opinions of our customers.

We are so glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

Regarding your comments about the opportunities to improve, without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice and I can assure that when you come back, we will surprise you.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

You barely even hVe to leave this resort to have a good time. They have everything! 4 str restaurants, or buffet or fast options like beach BBQ! They have a wonderful entertainment show each night that changes each day! Pools in every direction and of course beautiful! Hen we got
There we had issues with our room and the beds cleanliness but they were fast to remedy. Reservations for dining sucks because you have to wake up early and go to a desk and can't call in or reserve online. Night life options and places for the kids to go to too!! The moms and dads will love!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Wow, where to begin. We got a very good deal through Vacation Store Miami (just over $1600 for 7 nights in August, 2 adults, one child age 13 and one child age 9 who was free). That price was for the all inclusive hotel portion only, we booked airfare separate. There are some plusses to the resort: grounds are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Pretty landscaping, nice pools, and the staff in the restaurants and around the resort were wonderful. Really no complaints about the room (we booked a jr suite and were upgraded to jr suite deluxe upon arrival). They could do something about the way the water leaks from under the shower door in to the bathroom when you shower. But after the first time, we knew to place extra towels outside the door to absorb it, no big deal. The beach was nice.....first thing in the morning. By noon the water is brown, not sure why? It is really only the immediate area in front of this hotel....to the right or left, the water stays a pretty bluish green, all day.

I have a big problem about the way the restaurant reservation system works. If you are not platinum, you must leave the pool or beach by 1:30 to make the 15 minute trek up to the lobby, hopefully get there early enough and get a good spot in line. Restaurant reservations opens up at 2:00. By the time you make your reservation (IF you are lucky enough to get what you want), and walk back to the beach, you have wasted a nice part of your afternoon. Who wants to take the time from their vacation and waste an hour on a beautiful, sunny day to make a dinner reservation? Not me! Granted, you could always eat at one of the buffets for dinner. Food was just okay. I would recommend staying away from Las Olas Buffet (which turns in to La Fondue restaurant for dinner)...it honestly smells like vomit when you walk in. I don't know if it is because of the cheese they use for the fondue, but it is not appealing at all. The smell is there even in the morning and afternoon when there is no fondue being made.

My next issue is with the complimentary Playa Del Carmen transfer. You have a hotel with a capacity of 3500 guests (according to one of the employees I spoke with) and you offer two shuttles a day, that can fit 24 people each? Reservations open up at 8:00am for this, to book for the next day. I went down and was on line by 8:15 (once again, management must not be thinking of guest convenience, as I do not like to have to set my alarm for 7:45am ON VACATION so I can get dressed and walk 12 minutes up to the lobby to stand on line for a reservation for a shuttle). By the time I got up to the front of the line, the first shuttle (10 am maybe) was fully booked and there were 12 seats left on the noon shuttle. AND I was not able to book for my party staying in another room!! We wound up paying $20 each way and taking a taxi AT OUR CONVENIENCE. I suggested to the hotel, that if this shuttle is so popular, add a small fee, and add some more shuttles! I work in the travel industry, it's not rocket science!

My final complaint, without making this longer than it has to be, is that my husband got sick during our stay. Like "ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL" sick. He had an intestinal infection, you can figure out how one gets one of those (something has to go into the intestine to infect it!). The doctor at the hotel was nothing short of fabulous, he was the one who recommended going to the hospital after examining my husband. The hospital staff and doctors (El Hospiten Riviera Maya) were also great. Unfortunately, for some reason, the gastrointerologist who examined my husband told us one thing but wrote something different on the hospital report. He told us my husband was suffering from an intestinal infection, yet put that he had irritable bowel syndrome on the hospital report. My husband does not have IBS, and IBS is something that is diagnosed over a 12 week span of symptoms....not a 24 hour hospital stay. Because of what was written on the report, the hotel took no responsibility for my husband's illness. Clearly the infection came from the hotel....that was the only place he ate for the 4 days prior. I spent $125 on cab rides back and forth to hospital, and have not yet seen my cell phone bill for that time frame. I did speak with Gina at concierge during this issue but as I said, the hotel got off on a technicality in my eyes (the error on the report). I have emailed her twice in the last 2 weeks and have yet to hear back from her. But then again, I have checked out of their hotel, no need to try to make me happy anymore! My husband saw his gastro immediately when he got home. He is Cuban and was able to read the report. He agreed with what we were TOLD at the hospital, not with the IBS diagnosis. I also had one other doctor read the report while still in Mexico, he just shook his head and told me he has no idea why any doctor would diagnose IBS based on my husband's blood test and scan results.

I would love to give this hotel a 2 1/2 star rating but can only do 2 or 3 on this website. I'm forced to go with the 2. The workers there REALLY seem to care about their jobs and do their best to make the guests smile, always waving and saying 'hola'. However that is just not enough to make me ever want to return to the Grand Princess.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choose Grand Riviera Princess for your vacations. We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.
Also I would like to clarify some points, first of all our guests can book the shuttle to Playa del Carmen with one day in advance in a schedule from 8:00 am to 18:00 pm in the area of concierge.
In regards to the reservation process for a la carte restaurants, I would like to inform you that our guests could make their reservation on a schedule from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm with at least one day in advance, although it is possible to book the same day but will be subject to availability.
Now about your husband, please accept our sincerest apologies for this incident, although, it seems to me that you're being a little unfair, because the hotel does not have responsibility for the diagnosis made by the hospital.
Also your husband could not take the infection in the hotel, because no one got infected as your husband, so the infection did not come from the hotel's food.
I deeply regret that you go home with that impression of the hotel, in spite of all the efforts of our staff.
Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful Grounds, rooms were very clean. We only ate at one of the restaurants, they could advertise that a bit more. The buffet selection was terrific with lots of options. Did not like there was not live entertainment on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Close to beach
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at Grand Riviera Princess. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore, your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve every day and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Hackensack, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was cleaned and looked new and modern. However the beach was not that great with a lot a seaweed. The food in buffet was not that great... And could not have the chance to eat at one of the restaurant on my short journey. What annoyed me the most was the wifi that you have to pay for 20 usd every 24h even in the lobby and the fact that taxi was negociated price at 20 usd for one way to playa which is between 8 to 10 minutes... Other hotels further from the city were cheaper !! Finally and this is more personnal, the hotel was so huge that the service was less personalized than what I had in Cancun...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to offer the best service to our guests.

Lansing, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I like many others was a little concerned after reading so many negative reviews. I am not sure what anyone is complaining about as I found this resort to be absolutely wonderful. The grounds are immaculate and there are as many staff tending to the resort as there are guests. There is plenty of walking, which I enjoy and needed after all the food and drinks we consumed.

The food was great as far as all inclusive resorts go. It is not nor do they make you think it is 5 star food. We did meet friends from Cali who thought the food was terrible...I guess it is just a matter of what you expect and what you are used to. I have no doubt everyone could find something to eat.

We received a complimentary upgrade from the swim out room to the platinum laguna suite. If you can afford this upgrade, I would go for it. The 24 hour room service, free wi-fi, private pool area, sun beds, larger towels, and personal concierge pay for itself.

I would have given the property a 5 except there were a few minor complaints that drop it from a 5 star proeprty. The beach area does have an odor, which I believe the resort cannot fix or control. As well, the beach is very rocky in areas, also out of the control of the resort. Lastly, there was no one (including our concierge) who informed us of what the resort had to offer. We were never told when or where the nightly shows were, that we got complimentary room service, or that we were entitled to top shelf alcohol with the platinum upgrade, all things we learned on our last day there.

I would return to this resort in a heartbeat. When dropping other people off from our airport taxis, I believe that the Grand Princess was one of the best. As well, there were properties that were nicer, but I am sure cost much more. We honestly left feeling like we didn't pay enough for our stay, it felt like the resort couldn't possibly have made a profit from our stay.

For any concerns about the weather, we had rain everyday for about a hour. The rain came mostly during the evenings and rarely affected our daytime activities.

Room Tip: The Laguna Suite was amazing and recommended. We had originally booked a swim out, which I am glad w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor readers.

I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.

One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with their family and friends.

I would like to clarify that all our guests get an entertainment program when they arrive and also we have boards which shows the hotel activities.

We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Grand Riviera Princess

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!