My daughter and I just returned from the Grand Riviera Princess on 11/18/12. We stayed for 5 nights. We had booked a Junior Suite and upon arrival we were given a slight upgrade to a larger Junior Suite with jacuzzi, which was nice. (Not a swim out though, unfortunately!!...) We stayed on the first floor in the 8000's section which was close to the lobby and restaurants and on the opposite end from the beach. This location was fine for us. I prefered to be closer to the front end of the hotel. As others have said, the grounds are huge and there is a good amount of walking required, which was fine with us. It actually felt good to walk off some of the food we ate!
The first impression of the room was negative only because of the very strong musty odor upon entering. Once you're in the room for a while you don't notice it, but every time you leave and come back, there it is!! Not pleasant, but tolerable, I guess. Must be due to the humidity or climate of the area (??). Even now, our clothing which was hung in the closets still have that musty smell on them. The mattresses were hard and so were the pillows. However, our days were so full that we had no problems sleeping at night! I should also mention that there were quite a few mosquitoes in the room, and they ate me alive. I came back with at least 7 bites. Since the rooms open to outside, there isn't much you can do about this. You might be careful to close the door right away upon entering and exiting, but no telling how long the maid will leave it open!! Also, on the last morning of our stay I killed a very huge spider in the bathroom. Thank goodness it was the last day or I might be thinking about that every night thereafter... lol. The room itself was very nice. My only complaint was that the bath towels were of poor quality. There were two towels in the room upon check-in, all rolled up nicely, but one of them was noticeably stained and dirty. Quite a turn-off. I called the front desk to ask for two clean towels and they promptly brought three new ones. I just feel that the quality of the towels was more fitting for a Super 8 Motel, not a hotel of this supposed caliber. It just didn't match. Also, we never even got washcloths except for the day before we were to check out. Good thing we brought our own bath sponges.
The food was just okay. I am not a picky eater and was not expecting gourmet but I have been to many all inclusives and the food at this one definitely was not one of the best I've had. The meat in the burgers tasted weird, the pizza looked weird (didn't try it), and it seemed as though there weren't many good snack options for "after hours". Not a big deal though. We are not big eaters anyway so we were always able to find something palatable to eat at every meal. We ate at a few of the specialty restaurants, which you definitely should book upon your arrival at the hotel, as they fill up fast. We did the Oriental dinner, the Hibachi dinner, and the fondue restaurant, all of which were very good, our favorite being the Hibachi, where they cook the food at the table and put on a little show. We regretted not trying the Italian Mamma Mia restaurant, as Italian food is my daughter's favorite.
The pools were great, and there were many!! Very clean, and there was never a problem getting a lounge chair - we had our choice of pool areas. The weather was great but it got quite chilly at night. Ladies, be sure to pack a sweater! The drinks were good. We brought our own large insulated cups, which was very convenient for drinks by the pool!! We loved the Bahama Mamas, Mango Daiquiris and Pina Coladas!! The beach was okay. We had forgotten to pack our water shoes, but not sure if I would have gone into the water anyway. It didn't have that clear blue, inviting Caribbean look to it, and the waves were a bit rough. I also didn't care for the fact that there were vendors lining the entire front part of the beach. It definitely would make a lot more sense to put them at the back of the beach as opposed to the front. All they do is obstruct the view and it makes the beach much less appealing!! My daughter got a one hour massage on the beach and thought it was great.
We took the free shuttle into Playa Del Carmen one day. Good shopping!! Shuttle left at 12 noon and came back at 5 pm. If you wanted to come back earlier (1:30 or 3:00 pm, which we did) it was $4.00 per person. I didn't like the fact that there was nothing in walking distance of the hotel. It was like you were in a fortress. There was absolutely nothing to walk outside of the hotel for, and actually, on the road leading to the hotel there were sidewalks that had huge gaping holes every 10 feet or so. An accident waiting to happen, and I guess meant to discourage pedestrians from walking into or out of the resort (probably a good thing in one way!!).
The nightly shows were pretty good. One show in particular was GREAT, and that was the horror show. WOW, the performances were just fabulous and when they did "Thriller" the whole crowd was jumping!! Excellent, just excellent - do not miss it!! All in all we had a very enjoyable vacation. Not sure if I would go back again to this particular resort but definitely have no regrets on staying here this time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid “Paseo de los Dioses” is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll.Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon).A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico