“Nice stay, but there are pros and cons” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza 20 lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #94 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York
“Nice stay, but there are pros and cons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from the Grand Riviera Princess on 11/18/12. We stayed for 5 nights. We had booked a Junior Suite and upon arrival we were given a slight upgrade to a larger Junior Suite with jacuzzi, which was nice. (Not a swim out though, unfortunately!!...) We stayed on the first floor in the 8000's section which was close to the lobby and restaurants and on the opposite end from the beach. This location was fine for us. I prefered to be closer to the front end of the hotel. As others have said, the grounds are huge and there is a good amount of walking required, which was fine with us. It actually felt good to walk off some of the food we ate!

The first impression of the room was negative only because of the very strong musty odor upon entering. Once you're in the room for a while you don't notice it, but every time you leave and come back, there it is!! Not pleasant, but tolerable, I guess. Must be due to the humidity or climate of the area (??). Even now, our clothing which was hung in the closets still have that musty smell on them. The mattresses were hard and so were the pillows. However, our days were so full that we had no problems sleeping at night! I should also mention that there were quite a few mosquitoes in the room, and they ate me alive. I came back with at least 7 bites. Since the rooms open to outside, there isn't much you can do about this. You might be careful to close the door right away upon entering and exiting, but no telling how long the maid will leave it open!! Also, on the last morning of our stay I killed a very huge spider in the bathroom. Thank goodness it was the last day or I might be thinking about that every night thereafter... lol. The room itself was very nice. My only complaint was that the bath towels were of poor quality. There were two towels in the room upon check-in, all rolled up nicely, but one of them was noticeably stained and dirty. Quite a turn-off. I called the front desk to ask for two clean towels and they promptly brought three new ones. I just feel that the quality of the towels was more fitting for a Super 8 Motel, not a hotel of this supposed caliber. It just didn't match. Also, we never even got washcloths except for the day before we were to check out. Good thing we brought our own bath sponges.

The food was just okay. I am not a picky eater and was not expecting gourmet but I have been to many all inclusives and the food at this one definitely was not one of the best I've had. The meat in the burgers tasted weird, the pizza looked weird (didn't try it), and it seemed as though there weren't many good snack options for "after hours". Not a big deal though. We are not big eaters anyway so we were always able to find something palatable to eat at every meal. We ate at a few of the specialty restaurants, which you definitely should book upon your arrival at the hotel, as they fill up fast. We did the Oriental dinner, the Hibachi dinner, and the fondue restaurant, all of which were very good, our favorite being the Hibachi, where they cook the food at the table and put on a little show. We regretted not trying the Italian Mamma Mia restaurant, as Italian food is my daughter's favorite.

The pools were great, and there were many!! Very clean, and there was never a problem getting a lounge chair - we had our choice of pool areas. The weather was great but it got quite chilly at night. Ladies, be sure to pack a sweater! The drinks were good. We brought our own large insulated cups, which was very convenient for drinks by the pool!! We loved the Bahama Mamas, Mango Daiquiris and Pina Coladas!! The beach was okay. We had forgotten to pack our water shoes, but not sure if I would have gone into the water anyway. It didn't have that clear blue, inviting Caribbean look to it, and the waves were a bit rough. I also didn't care for the fact that there were vendors lining the entire front part of the beach. It definitely would make a lot more sense to put them at the back of the beach as opposed to the front. All they do is obstruct the view and it makes the beach much less appealing!! My daughter got a one hour massage on the beach and thought it was great.

We took the free shuttle into Playa Del Carmen one day. Good shopping!! Shuttle left at 12 noon and came back at 5 pm. If you wanted to come back earlier (1:30 or 3:00 pm, which we did) it was $4.00 per person. I didn't like the fact that there was nothing in walking distance of the hotel. It was like you were in a fortress. There was absolutely nothing to walk outside of the hotel for, and actually, on the road leading to the hotel there were sidewalks that had huge gaping holes every 10 feet or so. An accident waiting to happen, and I guess meant to discourage pedestrians from walking into or out of the resort (probably a good thing in one way!!).

The nightly shows were pretty good. One show in particular was GREAT, and that was the horror show. WOW, the performances were just fabulous and when they did "Thriller" the whole crowd was jumping!! Excellent, just excellent - do not miss it!! All in all we had a very enjoyable vacation. Not sure if I would go back again to this particular resort but definitely have no regrets on staying here this time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

3,539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
Blainville,Québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Grand Riviera Princess (12 to 10 March 2012)

Hello,

As I have already written on this site, I travel in family of 3 to 5 times a year between mid-November to late April each year.

We always choose all-inclusive packages 5 * star family or adults, at worst 4.5 * star ....

We tried 12 to 19 March 2012 the Grand Riviera Princess, a 5 star hotel at good prices.

A giant resort, 1: 30hrs from the airport, several restaurants, no one outside.

The rooms are adequate and clean and as well the resort itself.

The service is okay and the food and service too.

We have no choice at all the drinks we love: no Jack Daniel, you have to pay, no Grey Goose, you have to pay, not tequila anejo, you must pay!

Our first surprise was on the first day: the beach! This is Beirut!
Section'' for all'' beach is dirty, no service or very little, several small shops kiosk style directly on the beach, the smell of sewage, dirty and badly worn chairs.

As I wrote in another opinion, it is in situations like this we must ask between supply holiday 5 * star all inclusive for $ 1300 compared with any other offer 5 * star all inclusive for 2000 $ ...
This is where the difference is played!

Discouraged of the situation, we inquired with the staff and we were informed that there was a section on the beach front of the restaurant the'' Chill Out'' (chargeable resto).

This section is 11 $ / U.S. person per day and is worth it!

A beautiful beach with white sand, aqua water, wooden chairs with large cushion, excellent service with real drinks in real glasses. Well this is our holiday!

Without this discovery of beautiful beach, our vacation would have been hell.

In short, this hotel is probably worth the price but it is not a true 5 star, more like 4.5 stars.

When you know all'' the good'' and'' the bad'' things of this resort, if we go back, at least we know how to organize ourselves accordingly.

Sylvain Monette

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dryden, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just spent a week at the Princess Rivierra. The service was far beyond our expectations and we enjoyed tipping although we didn't have to according to the all-inclusive package. The resort grounds were well looked after and beautiful. I really have to say that the staff were exceptional. We thoroughly enjoyed the daily activities and nightly shows and entertainment. The buffets were good and we always found items we enjoyed eating. The staff were very accomodating when we requested a time change for the a la carte reservations. The grille resteraunt was the best for us. The T-bone steak was heavenly as were the desserts. The mexican resteraunt was great fun as the waiter presented us with somberos and took our picture. We had the deluxe junior suite and it was very clean. It was cleaned daily and always something new to look forward everyday on the bed. The rooms were very spacious as was the balcony. The rooms were noise proof as well which made for restful sleeps. Our only complaint was the rocky areas in the water at the beach as it was difficult to maneuver around but the beach was good and spacious with no problems finding a lounge chair. We didn't even mind the vendors. The free transportation to Playa Del Carmen was a great extra. We would certainly stay there again!

Room Tip: Would certainly choose the deluxe suite or higher.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I went to the Grand Riviera Princess Hotel with my boyfriend after hearing how lovely it is of his auntie and uncle. After reading some reviews i was a bit worried but ended up booking because they said how lovely it is and they like the finer things in life. The months leading up i was getting more nervous even contemplating trying to change the hotel last minute, but i am so glad i didn't. We both absolutely loved it here. The minute we got to the hotel the bell boys were there to take are cases from us and we were greeted with a refreshing cold drink the check in was nice and speedy and we were taken to our rooms. When we got to the room i was really impressed with the size the bathroom was lovely and really clean i could not fault the cleanliness of the whole hotel the staff always seemed to be doing something to make sure that it was spotless. The food was really good and you would have to be really really fussy not to be able to find something that you did not like. The food was really fresh and was always being replenished. We used to eat in the sports bars of a day for dinner to get out of the sun and we liked to just have a sandwich or burger and chips but there was restaurants open aswell as snack bars by the pools and a bbq on the beach. I don't understand why people are slating this hotel i personally thought it was amazing and would recommend anyone to go. The drinks are really high standard corona beer aswell as branded spirits and an endless cocktail menu (my personal favourites were strawberry and mango daquiree). The staff are really friendly always saying hola and can not do enough to help you. I would happily return next year and have been trying to persuade my boyfriend but he wants to try a few different places first but we will definitely be returning to the grand riviera in a few years time and i cannot wait. One thing i would say though id u r looking for a lively girls or lads holiday this isn't the place for you it is set id say on a motorway type road and the only time we ventured out of the hotel was to go and swim with dolphins (an excursion i would definitely tell people to go on can be pricey when you have bought the pictures and dvds but well worth it really is an experience of a lifetime), and there didn't seem to be anything really around just entrances to other hotels but for families and couples i would recommend as the complex itself is so bog there is so much to do and great entertainment there really is no need to leave the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is definately a 5 star -
Food was top notch - ala cartes had to be everything most could hope for - even the buffets were more that adequate from both the amount of food and the food options - options from burgers,fries, right through pastas, salads and a different meat every day -
Rooms - again more than adequate - large (we had a preminum room) with comfortable king size bed, washroom included a jacuzzi tub - fridge was well stock and the maid service completed our orders for what we required in the fridge daily
Pools - almost countless numbers, and something for everyone - from where familys could enjoy fun and games, to young adults and louder music and games, to quiet areas where all could relax and swim at liesure - most had bar services
Beach - lovely , comfortable , adequate shade if that is your requirement - if there was a complaint it would be the water in the adults only area of the beachfront - pretty rocky, in fact very rocky (sharp as well) - if the water was stirred up and u couldnt see the rocks as you walked in, you would no doubt find rocks that werent comfortable to walk on - even water shoes didnt help completely - having said that , 50 yards down the beach in the family area, there was great swimming with no rocks - there was some gret areas for snorkelling, fish and some coral -
service - most all could speak and understand English - always had a smile and hello , always helpful - and a great point, while we did tip our share - it was like they" werent expecting it" - so while happy to do so and happy to accept, nobody felt like "they had too"
overall - a great resort - very enjoyable - would go again for sure

Room Tip: not really anything in the way of Ocean view - most rooms we noticed appeared as similar size and co...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cotswolds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked my holiday, and then like others before me I read many reviews on Trip Advisor and some were positive some were not. Fortunately for me, my experiences mirror the positive.
We had chosen in advance to upgrade to the Platinum suite, and although we have no basis for comparison, were very impressed with our accomodation and the extra services (24hr complimentary room service, wifi, premium drinks, preferred dining every night, location to beach) it included.
All the staff were friendly and helpful from the minute we arrived, we were checked in and found our way to our room very quickly. We din't get our drink (glass of bubbly) on arrival due to a large group checking in just before us, and the refills not getting there quick enough, but it was not a big problem at all, as soon as we got to our room we had alcohol on tap!
The room was very spacious and clean (couldn't fault housekeeping), and we had no problems throughout our stay. I like a firm mattress and slept very well every night. We didn't have much of a view as we faced inwards towards a row of tall jungle bushes, rather than towards the beach, which was a shame, but not the end of the world.
The private concierge service that is offered to the platinum suites is so helpful and really useful, they can make all your dinner reservations directly for you, and check on any local information you might need, saving you a trip to the main reception. It was the same few concierge for our whole stay and it was nice to be recognised when you had a query. Talking to other guests during our stay this platinum benefit was certainly worth it, they had waited for ages to make bookings, and the reservation times weren't great, where as we got what we wanted every time.
The platinum suites are located right down at the beach end of the hotel and although they have a private pool area with bar and snacks, the beach is so clean, and also has a butler service and a BBQ snack area, so your really spoilt for choice. You are also only a stone throw away if you want to watch the sun rise or set, we did both, and it was well worth the early morning.
You do need to be quick in the morning if you want a poolside bed in the private area, although your not supposed to, everybody reserved these by about 8.30 each morning.
Having a private bar within the platinum complex with drinks available all night was certainly a nice touch, we enjoyed pre dinner champagne with canapes by the pool on several evenings and it was always nice to have one last drink knowing you were so close to your room at the end of the day.
Whilst I don't want to complain about the food, there was certainly enough of it, and the quality of produce was good, my only criticism would be that it was a little bland, there is lots of choice between all the restaurants on offer, and the buffets, but none really impressed us, with the exception of the French restaurant, where the steak was excellent. Breakfast was always good, with lots of choice, and dessert always looked amazing but was mostly just a collection of coloured gelatinous gloop, not that I minded as there was always plenty of fruit, yoghurts and icecreams. You will definitely not go hungry though, and if like us you except that they are trying to cater to a neutral international palette, you will be quite happy.
Being platinum guests we were very close to the buffet restaurant at the end of the resort, and were offered an a la carte service at breakfast and lunch if we wanted it. It was then quite nice to go up to the main lobby area for dinner in one of the many restaurants.
There is a golf buggy service down each side of the hotel, (Riviera and Sunset) this runs every 15 minutes so you never have to wait long, it picks up and drops off at the platinum reception so again nice and convienient. This is great druing the day when it is very warm if you want to get up to the main reception for any reason, and although it runs well into the late evening, we found the ten minute walk back after dinner very pleasant with all the lights on around the very well kept grounds.
The hotel is only a ten minute taxi journey from the centre of Playa Del Carmen so you can easily go shopping or eat out whenever you want to. The concierge at the main reception will either book you a place on the free shuttle bus or arrange a taxi. We opted for taxi's as there was always plenty of them, your not time restricted, and they are very reasonably priced.
The beach is lovely, and very well equiped with beds and bars, as well as other activities and little stalls for souvenirs, it was never busy due to the season, and so we always found a quiet spot to sit without walking to far. I would advise you take or purchase dive shoes (the hotel shop stocked them) though, as the location is a little rocky, and without them swimming in the sea could be a very painful experience for your feet!
We were extremely lucky with the weather, it stayed at 28-30 degrees of sun / cloudy sun every day, and although our stay was during the rainy season we only had a couple of heavy short showers, always in the evening and never effecting our plans as a result.
There are a few shops within the hotel complex, these are very expensive if you just want some basic toiletries or food snacks, but only marginally more expensive for gifts and beach equipment, especially if you need it there and then and are not planning a trip into town. The big benefit is that with the exception of the jewellery shop, (discount negotiation strongly advised) you don't haggle for your purchases, and not bothered while you browse. Playa Del Carmen is great for all your little bits and pieces, but can be a tiring experience, and the hotel has them aswell if you forget one or two.
They also have quite a large spa, we received a 50% voucher to use within 24 hours of arrival and we are very glad we did. We both had a swedish masssage and although it would have been very expensive at normal price, it was well worth it with the voucher, and a really nice start to our holiday. You can also opt for a massage on the beach through the hotel spa, but if you walk up and down a little there are many providers at much better rates.
I have stayed in a few large resorts and this seemed a very typical all inclusive large resort within it's price bracket, it was only about 50% full due to the time of year, so I have no idea what it would be like at peak season. Whilst I know that there will always be bad where there is good, we were lucky not to experience any, and so we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone considering it as an option.

Room Tip: Would stringly recommend an upgrade if you can, it doesn't seem like it will much of a differenc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just came back from this resort and had a great time...
FYI- The Sunset and Riviera Princess Resorts are literally the same resorts..
So, picture a resort where the Left side they call the Riviera and the Right side they call the Sunset and that was what you got...
We stayed on the Riviera side. I do not recommend you spend extra on either sides as far as rooms go. Unless you like saying your in the Platinum rooms, you'll have just about all the same amenities.
The staff was very friendly and their was a lot of activities to do.
Rooms:
I believe we had a Jr Deluxe suite. At first walk in, we did not have any muggy smells that were mentioned on some reviews. It was very spacious. We had a Jaccuzzi in the bathroom and King Size bed. Something I found unique was that you had to insert your room key in this adapter on the wall as soon as you come in to activate the room lights.We had a balcony as well. Room had a refrigerator with soda,water and beers.
Ladies- If you bring your own hair blower like my wife did, make sure you bring an extension cord as the mirrors were not close to the 110 outlets..
The Buffet:
Their are two Buffet rooms which are labled the Sunset and the Riviera.
They are literally across from each other. One always opens first before the other.
This is a hard one as people love different things..
In my view, it was just ok.
Their salad bar is good with many variations of salads and veggies.
Their Fruit bar is also good.
The main dishes change from day to day. Their were some dishes that were always their like, the pasta,mexican chips,bread table(which is pretty good and always fresh),fries,burgers and hot dogs. Their was sirloin steaks,chicken wings,pork ribs and sea food on different days. None were outstanding. they were just ok.
The desert bar definietly needs improvement. All of it looked great until you bit into it. They all were lacking taste. Brownies,cheescake and pies were just bland.
Breakfast buffet was much better than the lunchs/dinners.
Now, what this resort had in addition to the buffets were restaurants where you MUST make reservations to eat at each night.
I recommend you make these reservations for each night that you stay as soon as possible as they book early and will find yourself eating very late or not at all.
One thing i noticed is even if i had reservations for 9, i would show up at 7:45 for example and get seated. So as long as you have that little reservations paper, you are good.
We ate at the italian,steak and Japanese steak house restaurants. they were all good.
There is one restaurant that is not included in the all inclusive package where yoiu have to pay like a normal restaurant UNLESS you reserved the top/platinum rooms where it is included. I think this restaurant is French.
The best one by far was the Japanese/chinese restaurant. Plenty of food and very flavorful.
Only bad thing i can remember about the restaurants were that you could not go off the very small menu. For instance, if the salad came with a vinegrat dressing and you wanted something else, you could not get it. Even if it was at the buffets below, you could not get it. Very weird but they were strict on it.
There are plenty of pools all around the resort as it is by far one of the biggest resorts i've stayed at. It will take you a few minutes to get from the buffet rooms which are towards the front of the resort to the beach.
The beach was nice. Their are rocks in the sand as soon as you get in so you might want to bring some water shoes. They dissapear as you get further in so if you can tuff it out, you'll be ok.
The only thing i did not like about the beach are the souvenir vendors on the beach.
They are all lined up in front of the beach taking up space where people could be laying on. In my opinion, they should be towards the back of the beach.
Like most resorts, everything is very expensive at the convenience store and shops.
Ex. a bag of chips were 11 dollars..YIKES.. And the size was that of a gas station store not the super market size. A pack of 20 aspirins was around 12 dollars.
Also, they advertise an all adult resort. It is not.
At the resort, their is a section that they deemed adult only as well as a section of the beach. It makes no sense, as you have to go to the same buffets/restaurants that everyone else goes to.
Same for the beach, 10 steps and your with everyone else..So dont fall for this adult only resort section.
Overall, this resort is very beautiful and Big...
If your looking for a small mexican feel resort, this is not it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!