“Comprehensive Review Grand Riviera (Sunset) Princess – Why we’ll be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

You added Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Prolongacion 5ta. Avenida Mza 20 lote 006, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #95 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Comprehensive Review Grand Riviera (Sunset) Princess – Why we’ll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

To summarise our experience we found this hotel to be the best value for money of any resort we’ve stayed in the Caribbean or southeast Asia. You get a whole lot for your money with no major complaints. We stayed at the end of September and early October for 13 nights and being there in the low season is a major plus+ … I’m not sure we’d feel the same in peak season with 3 or 4,000 people in the resort, but it’s hard to say.

The resort is massive (which we loved and for those who complain, best you don’t stay here. To walk 10 min to dinner was nice, not frustrating), beautiful gardens and landscape, nice architecture, pools for miles, good to very good food (depending on restaurant), huge beach area, clean water and beaches, generally friendly and hardworking staff, quiet, relaxing, and plenty of entertainment. What this resort does not do well is cater for the exceptions or nonstandard type of requests. As soon as you need something different or special, their service level drops.

Overall we loved our time here and would return without question. We’ve already recommended it to a lot of people. Ultimately if you want a luxury resort this is not the place for you (5 star doesn’t equal luxury, just means there are a lot of amenities), but be prepared to pay triple or quadruple the price. If you want a very good resort for budget prices, this is the one.

Food & Drink – Buffets were decent, usually were cooking some hot food options(and fresh) and the variety was good. Not everything was super fresh but we always found something we enjoyed. Omelettes for breakfast were our favourite but it is true that sometimes the wait was 10 minutes(depends on when you go to breakfast)…this can annoy some people.
Only 1 place was open during the off hours and they only had burgers, hot dogs, popcorn, and nachos…a real shame there wasn’t another snack option and one more central in the hotel or closer to beach.
Definitely go to the a la carte restaurants for dinner. Unfortunately you have to go to a special desk to make a booking and can’t call or just show up, but it’s worth it. Miso Teppanyaki was the best (fun and fresh food), La Fleur was very French which we mostly don’t like but the beef fillet was as good as any I’ve had in the world, La Fondue was good food and fun experience…we thought the Hacienda(Mexican) and Miso Oriental were very average. La Taquiera steakhouse had big steaks, if that’s what you like, but nothing too special.
Drinks – I was surprised it wasn’t all cheap alcohol. Some brands like captain morgan, Bacardi, absolut, Corona…icy drinks used cheap stuff but that was ok. Wine was terrible but the champagne was surprisingly decent.

Rooms – The rooms are a little aged but nice and big and no major problems. Beds were comfortable and huge(king size), tv ok, a/c worked well, and great balconies. We split our trip with 2 nights in Jr Suite Deluxe and 11 nights Pool Access. We loved the pool access room and would highly recommend. Unfortunately there are mosquitos off the ground floor (none on 2nd floor room) and we got bit every night. Take spray if that is going to drive you crazy. Mini bar was stocked every day with 3 – 1L bottles of water, a couple of beers, and a few soft drinks. Only standard pillows in room and to get a different one required a refundable deposit and a bit of hassling.

Pools – We absolutely loved the pools and they just never stopped. You can just go and go and still find new places to explore. There are plenty of chairs and quiet spaces on the side pools (along with bar service throughout the day) while the middle areas are busier. You also have the “party” pools with swim up bars, music, and games…if you’re so inclined.

Beach – We read a lot of people complaining about the beach, but we enjoyed it. Tons and tons of chairs with little huts to give you shade, nice sand, and clear water. Because of the shallow slope there are little waves and with a sandy bottom the water appears murky but it’s just the sand stirred. Go out a ways and it’s crystal clear. Water temp was gorgeous! Bar on beach with bar food during the day. We also walked for miles both directions from the hotel and found the beaches clean, very little garbage, little haggling, and nice people and locals along the way. The only downside of the beach are the vendors set up in booths along the front…just ignore them (no gracias!)

Entertainment – party pool with DJ, lots of pool and beach events like aerobics, volleyball, football(soccer), etc. Every night there is a live band and this was one of our favourite things…outside bar with live music…couldn’t be beat. They also do a show at 930pm every night in the theatre…not bad if you’re bored or easily entertained but we found it a little cheesy. I went scuba diving and besides the questionable equipment, the dives were wonderful. Saw tons of cool stuff like giant moray eels, lion fish, barracuda, lobster, shrimp, tons of fish…

Service – I was a little surprised to find the service was quite good. Generally people are friendly and were quick and responsive. Of course a resort this size is going to have a few lame ducks, but overall we were pleased. When we needed something for the room like an iron, towels, water, or to fix the fridge & safe, they came quickly and sorted it out. Some would be really upset it happened in the first place, but again, this isn’t a luxury resort…stuff happens!

The ugly parts (hotel management please note!):
1) Mosquitos in the room and bitten every night
2) We wanted a pool room the entire time but was not available the first 2 nights. In the end we had to make 2 separate bookings. Though I called ahead and confirmed on arrival, to switch to our pool room was a disaster. They made us check out at 12pm and wait until 3pm to check into new room. They said they had to collect our bags during this time with guests arriving to our room. When I questioned the fact that the hotel was about 25% full, they said all the rooms were full. In the end they never picked up our bags and we could have just had our first room until the 2nd was ready. This was frustrating
3) Limited food options between breakfast & lunch and lunch & dinner. Need a snack bar or something by the main pools closer to beach with a few more options than just junk food.
4) Bad wine
5) Allow booking of restaurants over the phone and more than 3 nights in advance
6) No free internet
7) No alarm clock in room
8)No tea bags in room
9) I never once saw a comment card or someone looking like a manager. Don’t you want feedback?
10) $5 minimum to make a local “free” call.

Ultimately I'm lead to believe if you go with platinum many of these issues would be taken care of. Maybe it makes paying extra worth it?
Contact me if you have specific questions or want recommendations

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I really enjoyed my time at the hotel, beautiful resort very well maintained and the staff are all very polite and friendly.. My downfall was my wedding, I wouldn't recommend getting married here, I picked to get married at the gazebo riviera which was nice but the wedding co ordinator was crap.. She was really nice over emails and when we had our first meeting when we arrived at the hotel she was very nice aswell.. But on the day she messed up a few things 1. 10 minutes before I was due to leave the room to go and get married she rang my room asking where I would like all my guests seated in the gazebo, I couldn't think off the top of my head because I had other stuff at the time to worry about I.e getting my dress on and sorting the bridesmaids. 2. She rang me again because she had forgot the track number for the song I was walking down the aisle to.. Obviously never heard of a pen & piece of paper. 3. Half way through our first dance she turned the song off. We also had the chill out bar for our reception and that was really nice but make sure they clean the floors first because mine and bridesmaids dresses are ruined at the bottom because of all the dirt :( a few other things went wrong like the photographer being late and I tried to have a meeting with them before the wedding so they knew what pictures I wanted to have took, and they were never available so I didn't get pictures took that I really wanted. Apart from the wedding the resort was lovely and I would recommend it :)

• Stayed October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I arrived at the Grand Riviera on Wednesday, October 24, 2012 and checked out on Sunday, October 28th. We were attracted to this resort because they advertised swim out junior suites. I will admit they are really cool to look at but are poor reason to select a hotel. Knowing what I know now, I probably would not have selected this location. First of all my wife and I only had time for a 5 day 4 night trip. When you pick a resort in the Playa de Carmen area be prepared for a long ride from the airport and expect a very early departure on your last day to catch your flight home. I now realize that I should have selected a hotel on the Cancun strip. Be aware that this is a big resort that requires a lot of walking if you don’t want to wait 15 minutes for the internal shuttle service. We enjoyed the walk so this was not a problem for us.

Things we thought were great:

Beautiful maintained property
Very nice staff (those that need to speak English do it very well)
Beautiful beach and pools
Free shuttle to Playa de Carmen (a must)
Great Mojitos (according to my wife)
Fun Disco that opens at 10:30 PM

Things that could have been better:

Our room did smell of mildew when we first entered but you do get use to it. You kind of expect this when you are on a beach property with the air conditioning turned up

The floors in the buildings use marble or a marble like substance. As someone wrote in a previous review these floors get really slippery when they get wet.

The two main buffet restaurants (Green and Orange) serve exactly the same menu. We also noticed that a lot of the same items are served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you are a picky eater like myself you will not always be happy with your food choices. This also goes for the quick snack restaurants. Be aware that the hamburgers are really poor. My wife who isn’t as a selective eater found more items to chose from but indicated that the buffets were just average. In general the beef in all the restaurants we ate in was average at best. However, I did talk to a couple from North Carolina who said the steaks at the steak restaurant were wonderful. Sorry to say I didn’t get one.

There are numerous a la cart restaurants. The problem is that you have to make reservations in advance and they are not all open everyday. So on my arrival day I could make reservations for three days in advance but not for that night. Also I made these reservations on a Wednesday and could only get 9:30 PM for two of my choices. Interesting thing about reservations is that we didn’t have to follow them. Our first reservation was for the Italian restaurant at 9:30 PM. That was a little late for us so we went to the Asiatic restaurant (Miso) at 6:00 PM and explained that we couldn’t get a reservation but did they have room for us. The place was nearly empty at this time and they sat us at a table in ten minutes. When we left at 6:45 the place was still nearly empty. I still do not understand why we couldn’t get a reservation there. For this restaurant ask to be seated at a table by the Hibachi grill with the fixed menu. If you do not get seated there then you will be at a regular table with a menu to choose what you want.

There is only one free shuttle to Playa de Carmen for approximately 42 people. You have to book it at 8:00 AM the previous day to be guaranteed that you have a spot. It leaves at Noon and picks you up at 5:00 PM.

The beach is beautiful but be aware when you are in the ocean there are some rocky spots. I wish I had brought my water shoes.

There is major renovations going on to one of the building and a pool but they didn’t detract from our trip.

There is no cell phone service for Sprint customers. Also there is no free Wi-Fi unless you are a platinum or Laguna Villa guest. I bought a Wi-Fi card for $20 but had a difficult time getting connected to their network.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at this resort the junior swim out suite is all you need.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Traveled in late October 2012 and weather was fantastic. Hurricane Sandy was far enough east and had no impact (fortunately), including our flights back to USA. When leaving the airport, like everyone else says, just by-pass everyone trying to grab your luggage outside the airport and head right to your transportation. It’s crazy, but nothing like trying to catch a taxi cab from a cruise port. We used Best Day through Expedia to book our van shuttle transportation to/from Cancun airport and tipped $10 each way for the 45-minute ride south to Playa.

Check-in at the resort was easy and we had a junior suite with swim-up access- which was really nice despite being in the shade the entire time (south side of resort). We had to take our bags to the room, which was fine. The room itself was outstanding- nice patio, nice pool access, easy walk to/from everything, 70 steps and a short swim to the closest bar. We were actually on the Sunset side as a majority of the Princess side was under renovation. As most people have said, the bedding/mattress were awful and extremely uncomfortable is an understatement. Also, the hallways echo very badly into your room so you hear everyone walking and talking when going to their rooms at night no matter the time. We didn’t sleep much, but when we did, we woke up extremely sore. Oh well, we were on vacation and determined to relax and have fun so we dealt with it- and that’s really the only negative of the resort. Entertainment in the large plaza was nice, some good live music. We tipped at the shuttles, restaurants and a few times as the bars- we really didn’t see anyone leave tip and if someone did, there was no thank you. I know workers work 10 hour days, 6 days per week and get free resort food- not sure about their overall pay though.

Make your reservations right after you check-in (behind the Riviera bar, next to Best Day) as they fill up quickly for the week. Buffet food was average to good, with breakfast being the best. We ate at La Hacienda (Mexican) and Mama Mia (Italian)- both were good and we’d recommend them. The drinks were good and its nice being able to order just about anything. The mango margaritas were outstanding! The beach is nice, not very wide and very rocky though. The vendors weren’t bad at all and we did a couples massage on the beach (go in the early AM before the beach gets busy with activity), which was outstanding. $80 for two and we tipped $20. Beach food and drinks were pretty good.

We booked a snorkel tour with Aventuras Mayas and had a really great time- would definitely recommend them. We got on the free shuttle to Fifth Avenue Playa del Carmen (get a ticket at 8AM the day before you wish to go). Stayed from noon to 5 PM and had a good time. Was disappointed in the selection of shops as every place pretty much has the same items, but the overall pedestrian mall was neat and a lot bigger than we anticipated. Ate at 100% Natural and was really good. Lots of “mi amigos” tried to sell us tours and escort us through their shops, and then they see your resort wristband so they pretend to know you- don’t get caught up in their games. USD to peso exchange rates were best here and worst at the hotel. We used credit card at shops that appeared to be reputable and USD or peso.

Overall, I think we would stay here again if we were to go back to Playa del Carmen again. Hopefully they get new bedding before then!

Room Tip: Enjoyed the swim-up suite, despite being in the shadows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

First I want to say that I visited on July4 -the 11th. I had so much fun that I wanted to go back again. We stayed on 9/23 - 9/27. Everything thing was excellent once again. Here are the differences.

First the weather was cloudly for 2 days. This was actually excellent for us as we arrived exhausted and simply wanted to do nothing. We went to the SPA (the official one indoors) and it was wonderful. My husband and I came out feeling 1000 times better.

We didn't do any planned trips this time which allowed us to really look at the resort. If you have the time, spend at least one evening simply walking the grounds. They are lit up so nicely it was very romantic.

Our room was beautiful and the view gave partial of both the pool and the ocean (top floor). We ordered room service every morning to get coffee and sweet treats to start our day. If I had to make any time of recommendation it would be to order 2x the coffee; mainly because both my husband and I a big coffee drinkers in the morning. They came one morning with a small pot but as soon as I said something the waiter ran off and got us another large pot.

We forgot to bring small bills for tips but everyone was willing to run around and get us change. This was excellent but the service was so great that after many return trips with food or drinks, we ended up giving all the small bills back LOL.

BTW, we did the Platinum Suite upgrade AGAIN and I would not go any other way. This upgrade gives you access to a private beach area which provides a butler for drink service and a concierge to swap out wet towels and such.

I hope this additional review helped.

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We traveled to the Grand Princess in September 2012. This hotel was a wonderful place to holiday. In an earlier review I read it was mentioned that the staff spoke very little English, well I hate to burst her bubble but English speaking people are not the only people who holiday at this hotel, so are these people expected to learn every language. The staff at this resort are hard working people especially in the buffet. I sat amazed every morning at the efficiency of these people and the lack of respect shown to them. I know this is a all inclusive resort but a little monetary appreciation never hurts. Our room was very lovely and kept very clean. We were in the 2000 block overlooking the gardens. In a few reviews it mentioned that the ants were a problem. Please remember you are in the tropics and if you bring any drink or food into your room they well immediately find it. My husband and I had brought a couple of cookies to have with our tea in the afternoon and even though we were careful and ate them on the balcony we still dropped a few crumbs and within the hour we had a ton of ants. I had some Off bug lotion and wiped a little on our chairs and along the patio door and within minutes they were gone. The pools were lovely and the care and maintenance to keep them that way by the staff is much appreciated. We found the food more than good and the variety excellent. Many people have commented at how they found it not up to standards but again I have to question, who's standards. You are not going to get the same tastes in Mexico that you would get at home, and why would you expect to. The a la carte restaurants were great, the only complaint I have is that the steaks at the steak house were ridiculously huge and the waste from this restaurant is saddening. Maybe the hotel could offer different sizes of steak choice.
When we holiday we spend a majority of our time walking the beach. The area that this hotel is located is not the best of beaches, but as we walked approximately 10 km of this beach it was no different at any other resort until you got closer to Playa del Carmen which was a little over an hours walk on the beach. Seaweed and rocks in the water, what are you gonna do, it is after all the Ocean. We did not get to Snorkel as the water this time around was not very clear, again no fault of the hotel just conditions. In the tens days that we spent at this hotel we could not have been treated better by these wonderful people. Oh yes, the beds were quite comfy. I had brought with me a memory foam mattress because of a complaint that the beds were hard, but did not need it. Overall I would recommend this hotel for the value it offers. Happy holidaying.

Prestwick,Ayrshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess, Riviera Maya from 24th Sept till 7th Oct. We had a great holiday, but I have to say the hotel is not 5 star. 4 star maybe. I know the hotel has a major refurbishment programme which seems to be ongoing and although I understand that these things have to be done at some time we didn't expect the level of work or the building noise to be so great. The Riviera Sunset swim up rooms were closed and the pool on that side was empty for the whole of our 2 weeks there. The pool was only opened again on the day we left. This is more of a tour company booking problem rather than the hotel........I think these things should be advised when booking.
Apart from that, the hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are so friendly. Huge thanks to Yara at the Riviera Princess swim up pool who kept our drinks constantly topped up. She even turned up first thing every day with our 'usual' without having seen us first. The buffet food wasn't quite as good as other hotels we've stayed at in Mexico, but that said, we didn't starve. The a la cartes which were open (half were closed while we were there) were very good. Our favourite was Miso....the show table cooking is lots of fun and the food was delicious. The hotel is very close to Playa del Carmen and there were lots of people who wanted to go there and 'party' (especially the guys in the 4 rooms next to us....keep the noise and the choice language down in the early hours of the morning fellas!) There were a few things which weren't up to scratch, but maybe that was just me. Overall we had a great time and I would recommend the hotel.....just check if the building work has been completed. LOL

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!