“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

Save Saved
You added Valentin Imperial Maya to your Saves list
Valentin Imperial Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal Puerto Juarez KM 311 500 | Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #43 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Burlington, Canada
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

No complaints here! Enjoyed everything about this resort and staff were super helpful. Our first room was beside elevator which made horrible noise, we were moved the next day on request and received phone call within five minutes of arriving in new room to make sure everything was acceptable. Loved the room service, especially on those mornings were were going on excursions, arrived exactly on time as requested. Would recommend this resort to anyone and would return. Thank you for a great time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,041)
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Everything was very nice with my stay. I'll list my minor complaints since I was very happy with the rooms, the food, the liquor/wine selection, the service, the beach and the resort in general. Also, no timeshare push.

The minor cons:

- The beach bar isn't that close to where you actually swim and the service at the beach is pretty slow (they try, but it's tough to take that many orders and walk that far in the sand quickly).
- Wifi is only in the main lobby.
- No hot tub/jacuzzi. When the sun goes down, the main pool is fairly cold. Sitting for an hour or two in a hot tub between 5-7pm or so would have been great.
- The fitness center was merely OK.
- Wait times at some of the restaurants were sometimes in the 45 minutes range.This didn't bother me much, since I would just eat elsewhere and plan differently the next night and avoid major waits.

I figured if these were my only minor issues, it was a pretty good stay.

Little Things I liked:

- Super easy to get bottled water throughout the resort.
- Good selection of house wine (each restaurant has it's own) and liquor in general.
- Enjoyed all the restaurants and the portions weren't over sized.
- If you want a quiet night or a bit of a party, you can have it either way. Nothing wild, but we managed to have quite a few fun late nights.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Algonquin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was at the awesome resort for a three day girls trip with four other friends. Our wonderful experience started with a warm welcome with a glass of champagne. We were greeted by warm and friendly people who explained the lay out of the resort and different restaurants on site. We were all in the Golden Jr. Suite category which was a beautiful room with a large balcony with chairs and table. Each room had either two double beds or one king size bed with a large sitting area. Two TV's and a lovely extremely large bath room with double sinks,, a large tub, seperate large shower stall. Wonderful organic shampoo, soaps and bath wash and large closets with a safe. The maid service and turn down service which always had a cute towel art to greet me when I returned. You can call and let them know when and what time you wanted your room cleaned and never had someone knocking on your door. Top of line liquor and house wines where Chilian. If you wanted quiet there was a nice river type pool with two bars. The large pool had two swim up bars with alot of activity. Busy or quiet was your choice. Nice walking beach. Catholic chapel if you want to get married on the resort. Lovely grounds that were nicely taking care of. I was there for only three nights. You had the choice of 9 different restaurants with only one requiring advance reseverations. One night we had drinks and appertizers at one and dinner at another. No questions asked and it was not an issue.
They have entertainment nightly which is posted on a sheet left in your room ever evening.
Tipping is not required and I did see a waiter refuse a tip from a gentleman on evening.
You can relax and be quiet or be as busy as you want. They offer shuttle service twice a day into Playa Cara if you so desire. I would and will be returning to this Awesome Warm and Welcoming Resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya November 6th to 11th. We had a fantastic and restful week. The check in took a bit too long, but once we were settled into our room, we began a terrific vacation. Our room, a Golden Suite, was very nice and comfortable. The food in all of the restaurants was terrific. The Hacienda was our favorite (Mexican). We also really enjoyed the beachside restaurant buffet for breakfast and lunches. For lunch, the main buffet restaurant seemed to have an even bigger selection. The breakfast was exceptional with lots of fresh fruits, berries, fresh squeezed juices, omelet station etc. etc.

I think one thing that truly sets this resort apart from other all inclusives that we have been to is the size of the property. This resort is at least ten times the size of a Secrets or Dreams, but with about the same number of rooms. The grounds are beautiful, lush and perfectly manicured. The beach was terrific with plenty of palapas and a nice bar. The pool was perfect too. Not crowded. You never had to stake out chairs, and plenty of floaties too.

The service was outstanding... from every person we encountered. We highly recommend this resort and will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: We loved the Golden Suite. The bathroom and spa tub can either be open to the room or completely pr...
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at Valentin for two weeks with a friend and we had two other friends come and stay for the second week. I travel four times a year and I was looking for a 'home', sadly I did not find it here.
My biggest complaint is the pool, which was gorgeous but I like quiet and some shade. There was no shade at all at the quiet end of the pool unless you upgrade to 'privelige' and I am not about to pay $60 a day for shade. (I would not use the other part of the privelige package).
We did book our trip with Nolitours and they have a seperate pool which is sandwiched between the noisy end of the big pool and the excercise, dance classes which play loud music too, so we had different loud music coming at us from both sides. Also the 'Nolitours' pool only has ladders to get in and out of the water.
We loved all of the a la carte restaurants and had no complaints there. The french one was our favourite and for the most part we received good service.
The first week the service was terrible in the buffet La Marche, I had to get my own coffee a few times at breakfast. I didnt mind doing that but wondered where all the good service I had read about was. I always tipped and the second week the service got better although my pet peeve is they did not clear the dirty dishes off the table and we had to stack them up so that we could put our second course on the table.
Our room was kept clean, but we only received turndown service about five out of fourteen nights, and it took them four days of us constantly asking to get the internet to our room working.
Overall I would rate this hotel as a four star......it is not a five star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

It doesn't get any better than Valentine Imperial Maya! From the moment you get there, you are greeted with cold towels and champagne. The staff is over-the-top friendly. I'm talking about every person we encountered from the valets, maids, maintenance, everyone...they go out of their way to ask you how you are doing and get you whatever you need. Willy helped us to our room and offered us a nice summary of all the buildings as we were passing buy. It was our anniversary and they really made it feel special for us. Our room had a "Happy Anniversary" ribbon on it. When we walked into the room, there were two beautiful swans on our bed (towel art) with rose pedals all around. They also had a chilled bottle of champage and a piece of chocolate cake that said "Happy Anniversary" on it. The room was very comfortable and ultra modern. Beautiful woodwork and marble throughout.

Once we got to the resort, we didn't want to leave! Two amazing pools, 9 different restaurants to choose from(awesome food, L'Olivo and Ginger were our favorites), and they brought all of the entertainment to you. During the day they would have really fun games, volleyball, water aerobics, funny pool games, you name it. All with an awesome entertainment staff called the Go team. At night they brought in professional entertainment, Rock Show, Michael Jackson, FireShow on the beach, etc.

We never wanted to leave the sweet pools, with swim up bar and entertainment. Veronica and Jorge at the Earth Bar made our trip!

Would definitely recommend, especially to those celebrating a special occasion like an anniversary. If you go, make sure you grab a lounge chair by the pool early. The chairs and the floaties go quickly.

Room Tip: Building 2 is conveniently located close to the main pool and the restaurants.
Bloomfield Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Arrival:
Our trip got off to a nice start with an early arrival and about 10 minutes in line at both customs and immigration. As usual, USA Transfers was waiting for us and it took all of about 3 minutes for our van to arrive. After a short 23 minute ride to the VIM, our check-in took about 3 more minutes. Both us and our travel partners were upgraded to Silver Suites (I am sure thanks to my travel agent). After our arrival shots of tequila and a beer, we were off to our suites. Our bellboy, Willy, was awesome. He was friendly, information, talkative and a little bit of a smart alec (which I totally loved).

Rooms:
The Silver Suites are very nice and spacious. The King beds are very comfortable and the pillows were just fine. I have seen a few reviews and comments lately that the pillows are terrible, but I did not have a problem and I usually hate the pillows so much that I rarely use one. The open floor plan does not bother us, but I could see how it would be tough for some people. The double jacuzzi was very nice, but does take a little while to fill up. One note of caution: There is a little step down into the shower which seemed totally out of place to us and could cause a fall hazard if you did not notice or had a few too many cocktails. Beverages were stocked every day and there is a DVD player in the room. No real view but that seems to be the norm at the VIM. One odd thing was that there are double wooden doors leading into the bathroom. We never closed them, but they also did not open all the way, so my wife kept hitting her arms on the steel handles. We did not mind the walk to the beach at all as we were headed there anyway for breakfast and the beach all day. I only heard the music from the plaza on the last night (but that may have been because I curtailed my drinking on the last day - ha ha). My wife had room service our first night as I was over-served in the Sports Bar and then Don Miguel's. She had chicken fajitas, which she said were very good and the chicken wings which she also enjoyed. Finally, there are a couple switches that turn off all the power (lights and alarm clock) in the room. They have a dark circle on them. One is right when you walk in the door and the other is by the bed.

Grounds:
VIM is probably the third largest place we have been (Aventura Spa Palace and Occidental Grand Flamenco XCaret being the two larger). I like to walk all day up and down the beach and all around the resort, so I did not mind, but some might. I did feel as though the resort layout did not have any rhyme or reason to it though, so getting lost for a few minutes definitely happens at the beginning of the stay. In fact, the first morning I went back to our room to get my iPad to do my "Live From" thread and I literally walked past the chapel three times until I figured out where I had to go. Those that have been there are definitely having a chuckle right now. I respect the fact that they tried to leave the environment as in tact as they could, but with the vast amount of property that they have I think they could have moved the rooms closer to the ocean for better/more ocean views.

Beach:
I truly think it is one of the most beautiful beach that I have been on. Maybe second only to Maroma Beach. The sand is deep, white, powder. The ocean is a blue/green color and the bottom is nice, firm and sandy. You can also walk out pretty far and the water is only chest deep. It was pretty windy when we were there so there were some large waves which made it very fun to play in. I respect the ocean though and never felt it was dangerous. The beach walk to the left of the boardwalk leading to the beach only has houses (at least as far as I walked). There were some very nice ones and some obviously abandon ones. To the right, you past the "secluded" beach and then after a short walk arrive at the Grand Mayan. Palapas were fairly easy to obtain when we arrived anywhere between 8:30 and 10am. I felt as though beach service was far too slow for our needs. No problem though, as I said, I like to walk so I just walked to get our drinks.

Bars:
The Beach Bar was the worst. Flat, warm beer, bad service, non-friendly bar tenders. Sorry but that was my experience. Quiet Pool Bar was the best. Very cold and fresh beer, fun specialty drinks, great variety of shots and the most friendly staff (Veronica being the absolute best). Active Pool Bar was good, not great. Plaza Bar was great. They worked very hard and with the crowd that they attract because of the action in the plaza I give them all the credit in the world. There was hardly a wait for a drink and the bartenders were as friendly as could be. The Sports Bar was great as well. As we sat at the bar, it was easy to get drinks and talk with the bartenders. They provided excellent service and good conversation. The Martini Bar was also outstanding. Ramone was very comical and "join in" on the fun if you know what I mean. He was famous around the resort for making the best drinks. Whether it was specialty martinis, shots, cappuccino, or other specialty drinks, he was the Man. Finally, this was the resort that has the most Top Shelf Liquor. What I mean by that is that it was out in the open and there were no "maybe later" or "tomorrow" games with the good stuff. The Grey Goose, Don Julio, etc. was out in the open and poured freely. In fact, one time I asked for a shot of Don Julio and the bartender told me "maybe later" - I sort of chuckled and thought "here we go again" but to my surprise, I was walking by later in the afternoon and he called me over. When I walked over and asked him what was up, he began pouring me a shot of Don Julio - big TIP for that!! Finally, Don Miguel's was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The bar itself was very good with its red backlighting, but the fresh-made to the order sushi kept us coming back every night before dinner. Well, that and Lourdes and Lourdes. Truth be told, I had too much to drink the first night and did not realize that they were two different people. They were two of the most wonderful staff members at the VIM. We made sure to sit in their section every night and they took care of us (and we took care of them).

Restaurants:
On our first morning, we met Luis at the restaurant out by the beach and boy did he leave an impression. He waited on us with unparalleled service and anticipated our every need. We literally sat in his section for every breakfast and lunch for the remainder of our stay except on his day off. The food here was very good - nothing special but it did the trick. Our first dinner was at Ginger. We do not do the hibachi table anymore as we prefer to sit at our own table. We had a tuna and scallops and beef fried rice type option. Both were pretty good, but nothing that we had to return for. The Tempura Ice Cream on the other hand was outstanding. Definitely worth a return trip. Our second dinner was Italian. There was a mushroom and shrimp pizza that was delicious and the mushroom risotto was outstanding as well. We had shrimp and lobster cannelloni and beef tenderloin with potatoes au gratin. Both meals were really good, but the potatoes were a highlight. Our third meal was at the French Restaurant. The onion soup in a puff pastry was really good. We had chateaubriand and rack of lamb. The chateaubriand was dry and hard to chew - not at all what we were expecting. The lamb was a little dry as well but it may just have been the time of night (later). We also had an amazing mussel and mushroom puff pastry appetizer. The creme brûlée was the best I have ever had. My wife thought the French place was very elegant and fun with a grand staircase right as you walked in the door. Our final meal was at the Indonesian place. As you are being seated, the hostess walks you to a table that has a bunch of different flavors of tequila and asks if you would like to try one. We tried the cherry and they were very tasty. We had the Lamb Vindaloo and the Duck. The Lamb Vindaloo was too spicy for my taste. Not hot spicy, just too many types of spices spicy. It was extremely tender though and my wife enjoyed it. I had the duck which was outstanding. It was cut into thin slices and was very tender and delicious. Our waitress (whose name escapes me) was awesome as well. Very playful, funny and just in a great mood. We asked her to take a picture of us and instead of taking the camera from us, she stoke a funny pose for us to take a photo of her - my kind of person. Finally, every restaurant has a "drink cart" with all the top shelf liquors on it and they roll it up to your table after dessert for an after dinner drink. A very nice touch I thought and the first resort we have seen do this. Many times we simply took a shot of Don Julio, but other times we had Amaretto, Grand Marnier, or others.

Entertainment:
We did not take in much of the evening entertainment, but did catch the Magic Show which was outstanding. I got pulled up on stage so that helped the entertainment factor - ha ha. And then there was a 70s Cover Band in Don Miguel's one night that was also a lot of fun. We also caught a band and a DJ in the Plaza - both were okay. We did walk out to the Fire Show on the beach as well. It was pretty cool, but the kerosene smell was overwhelming in my opinion.

Now for the bad: The Go (Entertainment) Staff was the worst we have ever experienced in all of our trips. They were pretty much non-existent during the day and when they did an activity at the pool, they simply stood at their podium and made announcements from their microphone. No wonder they could only get a few people to participate at a time. Finally, I was told that they were in charge of the Sports Bar during the daytime, but I had to go and find them to see if they would turn on the televisions so I could check the scores of the college and pro football games. I found them at their hut, but instead of coming right away like I have experienced at all other resorts, they just told me to go back to the bar and they would be there soon. Yeah - 30 or 45 minutes later. And then they had no idea how to work the direct tv at the resort. So, there a bunch of us guys were watching one game while all the other televisions had the guide on it for all our other games. Here is a hint for the VIM: Guys love their college football and really like their pro football - make sure the games are on.

Final Thoughts:
I am so glad that we went to VIM. It has been on my hit list for a few years now and I am glad to have been able to check it off. It is very nice. The staff was probably the friendliest that we have encountered and the top shelf liquor was the most plentiful that we have seen. I also appreciated the fact that they did not play games with the good stuff like other resorts do. If you are going to advertise "top shelf" then provide it with no games.....and provide it - don't just say you have it and then don't. Our friend had a birthday while we were there - they did a nice job decorating her room in a festive way - we were all impressed with the towels fashioned as a cake with rose petals and balloons everywhere. In regards to the WiFi in the lobby, it was spotty at best and a little frustrating, but hey - it is free.

Would I go back? Sure, but only with an unbelievable deal. Truth be told, I do like to try new resorts, but if I get a great deal, I would not hesitate to go back to the VIM. I truthfully believe that I would enjoy it even more the second time around. I have a feeling that VIM is one of those resorts that get a little better every time you go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!