“Best hotel in Carribean.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 198 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Best hotel in Carribean.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We traveled to Rosewood Mayakoba for our 9th anniversary. It was amazing. From the reservation process, to the getting back to airport, it was perfect.

We look for places that are less than 4 hours travel time from DFW and this was perfect.

While making the reservation, the specialist recommended a hotel pick up from the airport. It was ideal. We walked out the airport door, met our greeter and were quickly put into an Escalade and off on way in under 5 minutes while others toiled in the heat and humidity. As we headed south, the driver offered to stop anywhere we need and he lead to quick in and out store to pick up a few thing on the way. He never left our side inside the store made sure everything was cool, even translating when we couldn't find something hard to describe. We were at the hotel before we knew it.

The hotel check in swift, professional and private. We felt we were the only ones their. After taking our bags, we were put in one of the electric boats and given a drink. Perfect. The boat dropped us off at our dock and we in our room seamlessly.

The room was perfect. Large, clean, high ceiling, and private pool. The bed and room are fantastic. The bathroom is 1st class. Indoor and outdoor shower, private sundeck and massive custom tub.

We used the private pool each day still went to the beach pool and lobby pool. The private pool was too hot when we arrived and someone "came out of the bushes" in less than 15 minutes to fix it. The beach pool is amazing and where we spent most of time. The private cabana and beach chairs make it fell like no one else is around. The snacks and drinks brought around by the hotel are a great added benefit. The staff drives you around on golf carts because the property is spread out for ideal privacy. Everyone knows your name and greets you every time they see you.

The food is great and amazing affordable for a 5 star hotel. We didn't feel nickle and dimed at all. We brought our own wine to drink on the beach and the staff was always eager to open and provide glasses without a charge. We ate in all the restaurants and had great experiences every where.

We had butler too, but never used him/her because, well, we really don't know what a butler does.

We will be going back in 2015.

Room Tip: They are all great. We stayed in the cheapest one and were still blown away.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I am not a young woman. I needed this trip, or a hospital!. The hotel was wonderful. I had
a personal butler and people knew that I was on my own and really paid attention to my requests and safety. The rooms are large and gorgeously swanky. I even had a roof deck and a private
plunge pool. I took cabs into Playa del Carmen to shop and believe it or not took a salsa dancing class! The hotel arranged (for a fee of course) to collect me at Cancun Airport. I always felt safe and in good hands as a solo traveler. They arranged for me to see Tulum, swim with the dolphins
and took me to the golf course to observe (I don't play but my PGA husband does...I had to report back!). It was not inexpensive but it was worth every single penny to feel so cossetted and appreciated. I would live there if I could afford it. Wonderful adventure.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach are gorgeous but pricey. The suites are good if you have more than 1 person...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

After staying at Rosewood's Las Ventanas last summer, my wife and I had high expectations that were almost met. The property is beautiful, the spa was wonderful and the service, particularly at the beach, was uber-friendly. The beach restaurant for both lunch and dinner was fantastic, while Casa de Lago seemed hit or miss. One dinner offered impeccable service, while one did not. TIP....ask for the complimentary bikes (beach cruisers) ahead of time. We were disappointed to be placed on a waiting list for 24 hours. The property is large enough that bikes are necessary and waiting for golf carts was not particularly fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautiful spa suites, but they were pretty far from the beach. Next time we would...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Rosewood Mayakoba is truly wonderful. It is built into the natural surroundings (mangroves, lagoons, beach) in an unobtrusive manner so that it reveals its beauty as you bicycle through (or take a boat or golf cart). The service is impeccable - each room is assigned a butler and the butlers are so helpful and informative and gracious. The waitstaff at the restaurants greet guests by name and it feels intimate despite having many rooms. In addition to the beautiful beach and pools at the hotel, there are incredible activities in this area of Mexico. Our teenage kids loved the underground cenotes, snorkeling with sea turtles in their natural habitat, and visiting the Mayan ruins. The snorkeling is great - there is a tremendous reef along the coast with so much to see. One can relax completely on the deck of one's room and by the pool one day and be zip lining the next day. The only area that we felt could improve was the food - it is good but not great. This was true at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba as well (which is also lovely but a little more corporate feeling). We have had much better food at the great resorts in Cabo and Zihuataneo. The food in this region seems a bit more bland. The beaches, natural beauty, and variety of activities in this area, however, far outweigh the difference in food.

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel is by far the best, best best hotel you can go to. The rooms are amazing, all all the rooms have a plunge pool which is awesome, and an indoor and outdoor shower, they are so welcoming and friendly at the hotel...the grounds are beautiful....if your debating between Fairmont, Rosewood, go with rosewoods! I have gone for the past two years, and I will continue to go every year with my kids...The kids club is awesome, and the pool is nice for the kids..the service is great at the pool, the breakfast buffet and restaurants serve great food..I dont think i have any complaints about this place! The beach is awesome too, and the yoga instructors are great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Best service we've ever experienced at a resort. Everyone was genuinely warm and helpful. My daughter was recently diagnosed as Celiac, and they could not have been more knowledgeable and accommodating of her needs.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We loved our time at Rosewood Mayakoba in Feb 2014. We stayed in a lagoon one bedroom suite and have to say that the cabana, grounds and communal buildings of the resort are stunning and beautifully designed. Our private plunge pool and lagoon deck were such a treat and we loved feeding the iguanas and the coatis in our back yard. Our 2 yr old daughter loved the pools and the golf carts and was generally treated like a princess. Overall the service is terrific and all of the staff go out of their way to make your stay as lovely and comfortable as possible.

We also loved taking the lagoon boat between the hotels and going to the other hotels for drinks and meals. Its a nice treat and make a longer stay more interesting.

The main issue I had with the resort was also something another reviewer mentioned...there are a ton of little perks and services that you have to find out about on your own and oftentimes miss. This is terribly annoying and made me feel like I didn't get the most out of my vacation. For example, no one mentioned the free bike rentals to me. Did you know you can take a private lagoon boat ride and picnic? I didn't know either. Ipads for kids at dinner? Nope, didn't know about that one. Nature tour every day? Wish I knew about it before our last day. Meal plan? I'm not a mind reader. And the biggest one of all of them...kids eat free! You heard it right. Nowhere on the hotel's website, restaurant menus or anywhere else did it say this, but it happens to be a policy that kids eat free off the kids menu. Wow, I wish I had known that one before ordering hundreds of dollars worth of meals for my daughter off the adult menu. All of this was very frustrating and easy fixed by a proper orientation to the hotel at check in.

Besides these hiccups, we had a terrific stay. A few other tips below...
1) Bring water shoes as there is a strip of rocks in the shallow end of the ocean. In general, pools are much better than the beaches
2) Use the free spa facilities (pool, sauna, whirlpool, etc). They are terrific
3) Resort restaurants are ok, but not great. Best was the casual grill by the beach, worst was the sushi one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Rosewood Mayakoba? Share your experiences!