“A real find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Petit Lafitte

You added Petit Lafitte to your Saves list
Petit Lafitte
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Cancun - Chetumal km 296 + 2.1 | Xcalacoco, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver
“A real find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The layout, a small hotel in Playa del Carmen with 30 rooms in hotel part plus 16 bungalows. North of Playa next to the Princess resort. Rooms 501-506 are ocean front as well as bungalows 1 and 9. Nice swimming pool, bar, restaurant and beautiful section of beach. Most (all?) bookings include breakfast and dinner.

We spent 4 days in the hotel starting November 6th. Hotels rooms reminded me of a Howard Johnson, main sleeping area with sink and separate shower and commode. Depending on what you are expecting it is a quant room. We started going to Cancun and surrounding area since the mid 80’s, my wife and I both thought the room reminded us of the hotels in Cancun before the resorts became commonplace.

The hotel is great. There were 25 or so guests at the resort while we stayed there. The only time I saw more than 4-6 other people was at dinner. This is one of the most restful places you will ever go to. If you are going to party or look for a night life this is probably not the right place. If you are looking for a low key place to have a great time. Lunch prices and drinks appeared pretty reasonable. Make sure and take anything you need with you such as sun screen as there is no on-site store to purchase misc. items. Oxxo (market like a 7/11) is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel.

This hotel is a real find. Not many of them left. If you are looking for a place to relax and have a great time you will not be disappointed. Our host was David. He does a great job and will make you feel right at home.

Walk up the beach to the Princess report and they have vendors on the beach, several with handmade items vs. the same stuff you see everywhere else.

While the hotel is not for everyone, it is a great find and we will be back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Roadboss,

We hope your return to Denver was nice and hassle free.
We want to thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte for your Riviera Maya destination, more so since you decided to take the time to post a review for Petit Lafitte, you are absolutely right when you say that we are not for "everyone" definitely we are not designed to satisfy the restless, but it is fair to say that we always have options for those adventure seekers, for instance we have a dive shop offering water activities that go from snorkeling to diving, fishing etcetera. Other adventures in the jungle, that include cenote swimming, zip lining, rapelling, canoeing etcetera are just a phone call away and David, our concierge will gladly arrange those for you.
We do have a nice un crowded beach, and that is excellent for resting, reading under a palapa or a palm tree I am sure you enjoyed those.
I would like to break the news of a gift shop openning in 2013, at Petit Lafitte, we are aware of the necessity of an on site place to get certain items, that guests sometimes forget to bring on vacation. We will also have souvenirs, t-shirts, and some knick knacks.
I´d like to also inform the readers that we do have a local crafts and jewelry maker named Manuela who comes on Tuesday evenings. Her stuff is hand made, unique and good value.
I would like to thank you once again, on behalf of the staff and family who operate Petit lafitte.
We hope to see you again on a future Mexico vacation.

Yours truly...

I.F.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We only stayed at Petit Lafitte for two nights, we wish we could have stayed longer as such a beautiful setting.On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly chap and were taken to our bungalows. The rooms are rustic but very well appointed and comfortable. Very nice bathroom, very nice large bed, and each bungalow has its own veranda. The best thing about this place is that you are just a few steps away from the most gorgeous beach. The sea is warm and wonderful to swim in, and when you are done you can just pop back to your bungalow to shower. There are plenty of sun loungers to relax on and hammocks as well. The hotel restaurant offers a set menu which we found to be very nice. The service at the hotel was second to none, really helpful friendly staff. We also had lunch at the bar, and again great food and great cocktails as well! What a setting, what a great little place. If you want a busy hotel then this is not for you, if you want some peace and quite in a lovely setting then this place most certainly is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Mrs. Moondog,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of Petit Lafitte. We are sorry that you had such a short stay, but we are happy that in a brief time you were able to perceive the essence of Petit Lafitte.
We built the room having rustic, ambience in mind, but we wanted to add some comfort, air-conditioning, mini-bar, coffe maker in the rooms, etcetera. All these combined with the peaceful atmonsphere, and the beach that you call "most gorgeous" (Thank you so much) make us who we are. We are glad you enjoyed the staff and consider us to be second to none in the service department.
We are honored to have guests, like you from, so far away and appreciative.
You are welcome to try us again, perhaps next time you will reserve a longer stay.
That would be great.

Until then,
All the Best wishes...

Ivan Fuentes
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had our first trip to Mexico in October 2012 and we were so lucky that we decided to stay with Petit Lafitte for 10 nights!

This small resort is perfect for relaxing holidays, located by the white coral sand beach of the crystal blue caribbean sea, yet only 2-3 Km away from the town.

The room is quite simple yet quite large and very comfortable, though the pillows are quite small but I slept well every night after the excellent dinners which included in the hotel room price. I found some review talking about bad pancake and the management of the hotel had replied with a promise to improve the pancake recipe by adding the banana in it, guess what? I tried the banana pancakes and I loved it! I either had pancakes or Molletes for breakfast, so yummy! bravo!

Every Wednesday night there's the barbecue dinner by the beach, it was 'excellente' and should not be missed!!! The dinner & salad bar is really good. At first we didn't think that we would stay in for dinner every night then it turned out that the meals are delicious so we only went out 1 night. There was also a Mayan dance show in the full moon night! After 2 days of the full moon, please come to the beach after sunset to see the moon rising above the sea, it's absolutely divine!

The most impressive thing about this little resort is their staff, they are professional, friendly and very very attentive. They learn your names, really pay attention and provide the best service ever!

I'm still missing Martin at breakfasts and Javier at dinners (I was addicted to the chili sauce Habanero which Javier brought it to my table every time without any requesting)
David, the experienced concierge, Filippe at front desk can give you useful advices about anything in Playa del Carmen.

It was unusual experience that you could really bond with the hotel staff but it happened here, we could really discuss or exchange cultures and knowledge. I had a great time chatting with Memmo and Edouardo daily during my stay. Thank you all caring staff who made me feeling like I was at home at Petit Lafitte.

Not sure if my review would be useful for the travelers but I just would like to point out that Petit Lafitte is a little humble place but what make it really special is their staff who sincerely provide the best service which I never found in any other places.

I will definitely go back to stay at Petit Lafitte if I travel to Mexico again...soon I hope!!!

Room Tip: Every hotel rooms have the balcony where you have an Ocean view. Even the garden view rooms (on grou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear iNuchada,

What a great honor to be the resort you picked for your first trip to Mexico, your flattering review, closes the circle of a brief, but meaningful journey through the human experience. We hope your return to Paris was hassle free and that your memories of your 10 day Mexico vacation endure the test of time. I am very glad you mentioned the specifics about your "pancake experience." I feel is fair to share with others such experiences as they depict our view of service. It also says a lot about the quality of our food when you comment on how you stayed for dinner in all but one night. So...Merci beaucup
The cook-out wednesday dinner is definitely a hit and we plan to keep it, specially when are accompanied by a rising "Caribbean moon." We agree that such sights are breath-taking and we are glad you were here to witnessed that. We have created a package for "lunatics" ha,ha,ha,ha....well, I mean for guests that love the full moons.
I hope your promising remark of a possible future visit become a reality.
We will have the same humble, attentive service and atmosphere you found the first time around.
Once again, thank you so much for taking part of your time to write a review....
Happy travels and much health.
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We staid at the "Petit Lafitte" for 4 days. The plus were the fantastic food, the nice location on the beach, and the service. All the members of the staff were really really really nice. They also have a small nice zoo which my 7-yrs old son enjoyed a lot. On the minus sign, the weather was not very nice!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear FabioEdith,

"Muchas Gracias" for your very positive review.
You got the exact points upon which we have built our name.
Location, Food and Service ! and we are very happy to hear that!!
We are glad that you chose Petit Lafitte for your vacation with your wife and 7 y/o boy. Yes the "zoo" (which is actually an animal rescue center) is one of the attractions for children and even though it is not property of the hotel, it is owned by a very good friend who has always collaborated with us and shared his passion for natuer with us. We're happy to hear youf child liked it.
Sorry to hear about the weather.
May we get a second time around?
I hope so.
Once again, thank you for your lovely review.

Iván A. Fuentes
Lenexa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I LOVE Petit Lafitte. An absolutely charming quiet low key resort right on the ocean. We stayed for 4 nights in Cabin #10 which was facing the water. In fact, you must walk through the sand to get to it. Don't worry. Your bags are carried to the cabin for you. All the bungalows have a front porch which was a wonderful spot to sit. It was a 1 minute walk over to the bar and they were happy to make our drinks in "to go" containers. David was extremely helpful with making a car reservation for $35 that was delivered right to the hotel for us. (insurance included) He also got ua a reservation to Rio Secreto when the website showed sold out. In fact, he cheerfully helped us numerous times. There seems to be no turnover in staff as people we talked to have been there 20 - 30 years. We met people that have been there more than once and we hope to be counted among them.

Room Tip: I loved our bungalow and would recommend it. There is no tv in the cabin but there is free internet...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear KS66215,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We find it rewarding when new guests like yourselves, come and readily capture the essence of Petit Lafitte.
Sorry your stay was only 4 nights, we hope next time you allow more time for us. You are welcome to become one of those repeat costumers you talk about.
Yes, David, with his 30 years experiences and 5 languages, is an excellent concierge not only helpful, but also efficient and considerate.
We are gald you got good deals on cars and Rio Secreto.
Thank you for mentioning the lack of T.V´s in the Cabins, you are right, the whole concept of the Bungalows was created with tranquility in mind. However, it is fair to add that if you are staying in a cabin and are hoping to watch a game of the news or something on T.V. we do have a game room with a T.V. plus ping pong and billiards.This was created with the guests in the bungalows in mind, also, when there is a big game or special event, we bring a T.V. to the Bar Area. drink and antertainment together!!!
Once again, thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte and for allowing us to serve you.

On behalf of the staff, and manegement,

Leitrim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here with our 3 young children in later October 2012 and had a very nice time. I'd concur with pretty much all that has been said in previous comments: very helpful and friendly staff, laid back and relaxing and nice beachfront location.

There is always room for improvement, however! Some of the public areas, around the pool in particular, are a bit care worn, and would be greatly improved by a lick of paint. The plastic furniture has also seen better days.

Food was fresh and good quality, but some reviewers give the impression that you're going to a Michelin star restaurant, which is not the case (in fairness, you're not paying for that either).

Also, having to order kids meals before 1pm is very cumbersome. Its hard enough to get a 4 year old to decide what they want for dinner at 7pm, never mind 1pm! We're talking hotdogs and spaghetti here; its really shouldn't be that difficult to prepare to order!

Entrance to the hotel is also a bit of a shambles, but you're only going to see that once or twice. The "zoo" seems to be part of someone else's property, and is a bit weird. We stayed away from that, not being keen on seeing animals in cages.

All of these are very minor quibbles, however, and I am a very fussy customer. I'd have no problem recommending this as a location in Playa Del Carmen. We stayed in Cabin 14 which was really lovely.

Highlight of the stay for us was the musical evening where a lady and a guy played jazzy versions of Michael Jackson classics on a guitar and violin at the beach bar. Sounds weird , but it was really magical.

Tip for swimming: it took me a couple of days how to figure out how to get into the sea. Basically, there's a sand bar that runs along the shore just where the waves break, which gathers small stones and pebbles. When you step on this, you might be a bit concerned that that part of the beach is rocky. Its isn't. Just hop over the sand bar and go beyond where the waves are breaking, when the water is really clear and you have sand underfoot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear garrethmcd

Thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte as a destination for you family vacation.
We are glad that you, your wife and three children enjoyed the stay.
We are also appreciative of your sincerity of your comments and, while we are pleased to hear you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere, beach location laid back atmosphere and excellent service by the staff.

We would like comment the following:

1.- Yes we totally agree with you, regarding the painting around the pool and the furniture. We are buying some new drink tables, to replace the ones that are worn.
2.- We are implementing a simple children menu of around 6-8 options for dinner.
3.- We have submitted (with all the neighbors) a request to the municipal government to fix the part of the road that is in bad shape, is good to remark that this part is only about one tenth of the road. The rest in very good conditions.
4.- The “zoo” is really not a zoo. It is a refuge (U.M.A.) for animals that were confiscated from the black market and the federal ecology and environmental authorities are unable to return to the wild, as they have been domesticated. Cages are more a necessity than a preference in this case. The U.M.A. should not be seen as a zoo, but as an effort to rescue and bring back to health these poor animals.
It is not property of the hotel, but the proprietor of the Center, allows the guests to visit.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Wednesday night cook out dinner at the bar grill and the jazzy music we accompany it with. Alex and Sophie are very good musicians. Sophie the violinist is a classically trained musician who also plays in the Cancun Camerata. We are lucky to have them both be part of the experience.

Thank you once again for your review and the commendations, hopefully some day you will return and see the improvements.

Sincerely

Iván Fuentes
Adirondack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm getting a head start on writing my review.....I'm lying in bed, in bungalow #5, dreading the thought of my plane trip back to New York in a few hours. It's 4am, dark out, but I can peek out my window and see the palm trees wrapped in rope lights on the beach. The only sounds I can hear are the ceiling fan, my friend's breathing, and the occasional unknown animal outside doing whatever animals do in the middle of the night...I've been here for seven days, and I'm not all that excited about going home.
Petit Laffite is a special kind of place. The experience is what keeps people coming back for more. The bungalows are comfortable, the food is outstanding, and the beach is wonderful. What separates Petit Laffite from other places is the employees who work here. Not only are they good at what they do, they work very hard at it, and they seem to enjoy interacting with the guests. All of the employees seem to multi task as well. It's hard to tell who has what title here. The waiters seem to be everywhere....in the restaurant, at the bar, checking on you at the beach...They are all very friendly and professional. The chefs are very visible and extremely accomodating, and the bartenders are outstanding also. I've seen the bartenders washing glasses, a waiter handing out towels, the general manager picking debris up off the beach, the chef making drinks, everybody helping out with stocking the bar....seems like everybody works together to give guests an unforgettable experience. The grounds are meticulous, the beach and pool very clean...these guys do a great job!
This was my third visit to Petit Laffite, and won't be my last. Aside from a few complications with the website (couldn't book transfers with PDC), I made all arrangements online, which was convenient. I traded emails with Luis regarding my reservation, and he was very helpful. I used STP Caribbe for round trip transfers, and they were great.
My vacation coincided with Dios del Muerto(?) which I was very interested in and the staff members tried to explain to me. They even went so far as to set up a traditional altar in the restaurant, which was a big hit and got photographed by most of the guests. We were also lucky enough to be there when a large group of Mexican guests with children stayed at the resort. The kids got dressed up in costumes and trick or treated at the bungalows....unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to give out candy. Next year I will bring some!
I would love to say we went on all kinds of adventures up and down the Mexican Riviera, but truthfully, we never left Petit Lafitte. We talked about going to Isle de Mujeres for a day, but decided we had a good thing going on right here and never moved. We did go for several beach walks, and we both decided Petit Lafitte was the best place on the coast. I walked around the big all inclusive up the beach, and couldn't wait to get back to Petit Lafitte. Their place was beautiful, the grounds were awesome, but I would have hated sitting among hundreds of beach chairs, people smoking, noisy jet skis interrupting the tranquility. The cookie cutter mentality is not for me. I also noticed people waiting for a shuttle to take them around the resort. One of the pools was apparently an activity pool, with ear splitting music and some kind of water aerobics going on, with some hot looking guy barking commands from the pool deck. And apparently you have to make reservations to eat. Yuk!
Give me the entertaining and always available staff at Petit Lafitte any day. I can't say enough about my friends Javier, Giovany, Baldi, Martin, Victor, Jose, Jose, Gazpar, Antonio, Manuel, David, Felipe, Luis, Jorge, and the rest. If I could, I'd take them all home with me so I could reciprocate their hospitality in New York. A million thank you's to all at Petit Lafitte!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Ripley 1747,
It is hard to begin responding to a review like yours. I mean, you definetely went out of your way to depict your experience...the ambiance... A lot of imagery in your words. It made me see things from a perspective different from the staff´s perspective. Yor depiction of the morning alternation of sounds and silence, was evocative.
Thank you so much for your review, your third visit, your awareness and input. We are lucky of being able to create relationships like the one we share with you. I mean we have guests, we have repeat guests and we have friends. In time we experience moments together and that collection of moments become deep inpressions in our hearts.
I am glad you saw Dia de Muertos and our altar and the food we prepare for such a traditional holiday in Mexico. Makes me wonder if the all inclusive hotels you saw on your beach walks have that. Maybe so, in a larger scale. (You are right, we are a world apart from that).
We work as a family, as a team and your observation of the spirit of collaboration, is really on the dot of where we aim to be. So we are very happy to read your words.
We hope you keep gracing us with future visits and recommendations.
We were thinking of you and our NYC guests during Sandy, we wish everything goes back to normal soon.

Until we meet again, the staff says hi and happy holidays.

I.F.

Been to Petit Lafitte? Share your experiences!