“Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Petit Lafitte

You added Petit Lafitte to your Saves list
Petit Lafitte
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Cancun - Chetumal km 296 + 2.1 | Xcalacoco, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aurora, Illinois
“Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here in April 2011 for 5 nights. All-inclusive was included in the price though we are vegan so there were not too many options. The staff really went of the way to prepare good meal for us. The breakfast was good with choices of fresh juices and breads. Due to limited chairs, people came to the beach in the morning hours..say at 6am..to "reserve" chairs. There are only 5 Palapas on the beach so if you get there at 7 am, you are out of luck for the whole day. The bed was ok for this budget hotel. If it was not for limited palapas and average bed comfort, I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Tom,

Saludos from sunny Petit Lafitte Mexico!
Thank you for your review even if it was a "3 pointer."
It gives me the opportunity to comment on some things that have changed since your April 2011 visit. ( A year and 4 months ago) It would be fair to say that to begin with, we had 7 palapas on the beach, plus the large one with hammocks. The aerial picture in this site (taken in summer of 2010) shows that.
Nowadays we have added two more palapas so now the inventory is sufficient.
We have about 75 beach chairs. When we are full our maximum capacity of guests is 90 adults. It is rare that all guests will want to use the beach chairs at the same time. So this works alright. Another thing to clarify is: That we have never offered all inclusive plans. We never include lunch or bar drinks. You may be referring to the fact that we include dinner and breakfast, which I see you liked. Thank you so much for mentioning about our staff going the extra mile in trying to acommodate special dietary needs.
We certainly try our best to understand the varieties in diets.
We have been changing matresses, adding orthopedic foam padsand recently bought a selection of brand new pillows.
After all, comments like yours, point out things that are important to us as much as to our guests. Thank you for that.
I hope we get a second time around, you will be gladly surprised.

Once again, Thank you and all the best!

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Turkish first
Leonardtown, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I spent 9 unforgettable nights(7/26-8/4) in Playa del Carmen at a wonderful place called Petite Lafitte. We stayed in cabin # 9 (oceanfront) that has a beautiful almond tree in front of it and many coconut trees around strung with colorful hammocks. The room had plenty of space and was clean and opened to a beautiful view of the beach. The staff works hard to keep the site maintained and in good shape. Our kids (22 &16) stayed in one of the hotel rooms overlooking the pool and they loved it.
The place is small compared to the other mega hotels in the area. Not a lot of people or noise. It is peaceful and family oriented. The staff makes you feel like part of their family. You can’t help but make friends with the other guests.
The outstanding service is the trademark of the hotel. The staff is respectful, friendly and always eager to serve. One night at dinner time I was talking to my wife about wanting a Tres Leches cake for dessert. The next day a huge, delicious Tres Leches appeared at dinner!
The breakfast buffet is very nice with fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc. and, in addition, you can order from the breakfast menu. Lunch at the bar area was very good, too, with the same wonderful service. I can’t forget the ceviche accompanied by a Sol beer just after returning from diving. The hotel has a Cyan Ha dive shop kiosk on the premises and you can arrange your scuba dives for the next day right at the hotel. The dive shop sends a boat to pick you up at the beach in the morning and they bring you back when you are done just in time for lunch. Dinner was outstanding, too. The restaurant team really works hard to make you feel at home. The food is fresh and beautifully presented.
Heartfelt thanks to all the terrific staff at Petit Lafitte for a truly memorable vacation experience. We look forward to returning very soon!

Jose and Donna,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear José and Donna,

Thank you for your lovely review!
We are delighted that you left feeling so positive about your vacation with us. 9 nights here are just about right. So glad to hear your kids, enjoyed their room just as much as you enjoyed your Beach Front Bungalow. Thank you for mentioning Cyan Ha divers, our dive shop, it is ran by a super professional, pioneer operation in the coast here, yeah, early morning dive caped by a mixed ceviche with shrimp, octopuss and fish is the way to go, ice cold beer???? Pure Heaven. Little book and hammock time right after.
Your Tres Leches Cake anecdote depicts how we approach service here. We feel rewarded by the fact you mentioned it.
We send you our heart felt thankfulness for trying us among so many choices in Riviera Maya and for letting us treat you as family. Hopefully you will keep coming here to visit your new found Mexican relatives.
The doors are open.

Best Regards,

Elkhart, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

So my Fiance at the time gave me one job, find our honeymoon spot, as she was to stressed with all the other wedding planning responsibilities. Little did I know how much responsibility that would hold! I spent one to many up to 2am mornings trying to find the perfect place. Once I decided on Mexico, I read so many horror stories about the big Super All Inclusive resorts where the service and food were poor, and fighting over beach towels and chairs on the beach at 7am that I decided on a place a little smaller for our honeymoon. I'm so glad I found Petite Lafitte. After reading all the rave reviews here on Trip Advisor, which heavily outweighed the negative, I felt pretty secure in my reservation of this little peace of heaven. My own family/friends kept preaching all inclusive, and to be safe stay on the resort, but I'm glad I trusted my instincts.
We traveled into Cancun on August 6th-11th. "too short!" Since we had booked Petit's "Honeymoon Package", we received complimentary private round-trip transfer to/from the hotel. We landed in Cancun at 11:25, and were in our hotel by 1:30pm. They had our room ready way before the 3pm check in time, many thanks for that, during the short wait we did have, David gave us a tour of the grounds, recommended where to swim, and the times to eat,etc.. Very friendly, and informative, and this continued throughout our stay.
We stayed in Bungalow #11. I had wanted #9 due to its location, but it was already filled, but ours was plenty close to the beach, as all the rooms are.. Our bed/floor were covered in rose pedals, and a nice welcome letter from the staff. Our room was very clean, some may not like the rustic feel, but we enjoyed it. We did not notice any musty smell as others have noted previously, maybe the hotel has listened and ran de-humidifiers between stays? As others have noted, the grounds are beautiful, just like the photographs, and the workers work all day to keep it that way, from raking the seaweed by the shore, to raking the palm leaves,etc, on the sand by the bungalows, and cleaning the pool religiously. I was a little worried about the food, as some have said it was unedible, however many more said it was fantastic. I have to concur with them, and wonder about the minority and their culinary preferences. The food, both breakfast, lunch, and dinner were wonderful. We made sure to try a diff breakfast selection everyday, and all were delicious. Also, the coffee for whatever reason is so good. They said they french press it everyday, and it tasted like it! The beef/shrimp tacos for lunch were amazing! And oh, the chips/salsa, both my wife and I agreed the best ever. This is not your haciendas salsa back in the states! The only entree all week neither thought really stood out at dinner was the beef filet. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't mouth watering either. All others were great, especially the salmon. On Thursday night, as part of our honeymoon package, we had a special private candlelight Lobster dinner on the beach with our own server "Marten"? Forgive me if I spelled it wrong! He was wonderful. The night before at dinner they had a wonderful couple who played music while you ate. I didn't catch their names, but the lady played the violin, and the gentleman the guitar, they were very good. Well at our private dinner they surprised us with our very own musical performance throughout our dinner. Well over a 1/2 hour. it was so cool, the night was clear, stars out, champagne. My wife is pretty shy and doesn't like attention, and I could tell she was a little overwhelmed, but the experience was amazing. Almost forgot to mention, on Tuesday during the storm that sadly hit on our trip, then again it is hurricane season. Our package also included 45 min massages from Betha on our front porch. I had never had a massage before, I am now a believer. She was very good, and really helped set the relaxed mood during our stay! Tell her Jonathan&Jessica say hello! All the servers/employees were great. I would like to give a special shout out to Cesar, the hotels #1 Taxi driver. He was wonderful, friendly, and knowledgeable. He took us to downtown playa, then we used him again to do a tour of the Coba Ruins, Tulum Ruins, and Snorkeling for our all day excursion, and finally he dropped us off at the Airport. Please also tell him we said hello, we miss him already, and that I am taking him up on his offer to take me Fishing on our return visit! :). Their is so much more to say, but let me just say this. The Location, the Staff, The Food, The Beach, all made it a honeymoon we will never forget. And we will return. Thanks to all the staff, esp David, for making our trip a trip of a lifetime...

Hasta que nos veamos otra vez!

Jonathan & Jessica

Room Tip: #9, #10, #11 all good choices. I would avoid #1, nice location, but next to the pool toilets.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Jonathan,
I missed you and your new wife by just one day. I returned just in time as the storm was apporaching, fortunately it stayed south of us and gladly it did not cause significant damage to the south end of the State.
It was delightful to read your review and see that you really enjoyed the Petit Lafitte, the staff, the food and the honeymoon package we created. We want to say thank you for choosing us as a honey moon destination. I see you followed a careful pattern in deciding where to stay, from choosing the country first, then de area then the choice of hotel types and then US! We are very glad to see that you got an experience that will last you a life time and that you made new freinds here. We appreciate the fact that in your review, you went over the items in the package.
From the free airport shuttle, to rose petals in the room, massages and dinner on the beach with lobster, private musicians and champagne.
I am passing your regards to Cesar, he is more than a cab driver for us, he is family, (literally.)
David as well.
So keep your mind on your fishing trip for next time, Cesar is a fantastic fisherman, he recently won a prize in the annual fishing tournament of Playa del Carmen.
We will maintain this little piece of heaven for you and your wfe and will reserve Bungalow 9 for your next visit.
Doña Bertha is on vacation right now, but when she returns, I will tell her you send your saludos.
Thank you for following your instinct right to our doors, and feel free to return, (you dont have to knock.)

Best regards

Iván Fuentes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I can't even begin to explain how appropriate and accurate the awards and reviews Petit Lafitte has recieved truly are. I recently returned from a week long vacation and it was everything I was hoping for. I was looking to RELAX and unwind in a major way and after many days of reading reviews from all the resorts and hotels in PDC I decided to go with Petit Lafitte. From our first correspondence online I knew I was in good hands and from the moment I arrived the feeling was confirmed. You are not just a guest at this wonderful hotel, you are treated like a part of their family! The staff is super friendly;simply the best. The food was amazing and the Bungalows were huge and comfortable. I took an hour and a half walk down the beach into downtown PDC (its a 15min cab ride) and from what I saw, Petit Lafitte wins hands down! If you want a crowded beach, with other crowded beaches less than five feet away on either side, limited beach seating and lots of noise do not stay at Petit Lafitte, it has NONE OF THAT. What you get instead is an incredibly peaceful sanctuary with a excellent staff who is more than willing to make your stay the best it can possibly be. There is access to everything from day trips to jet skiing, parasailing, snorkeling and massages.  It has everything you would want in a beach vacation minus the crowd. If you are not looking for the "big party resort/all inclusive thing" do not hesitate to stay here. I highly recommend it and plan to return myself in the future.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear onebagand2feet,

Loved your review (and your user name) . Thank you so much for adding to the praise for our hotel. We are happy that you concur with the previous positive reviews and that your one week stay fulfilled your desire to unwind, relax, and have a peaceful time on the beach.

You are right on the mark when you say that we treated you as a member of our family, that is the core of our phylosophy and that is pretty much how things started with us. I mean, in the beginning, back in the mid 70s, we mostly received our own families and friends, then they recommended us and the whole Cancun Boom of that era was the wind in our sails that pushed us in the right direction. Now, we try to still feel the same passion in creating an "experience" to our visitors. We are so happy to see that we achieved that with you.
Thank you for mentioning that eventhough Lafitte is designed for relaxation, massages, books, hammock, food and drinks, most activities, are available right here, and easily arranged at the front desk or through our concierge. Sometimes, fortunalety, not often, guest see that as a "minus" and they do not realize that the way we set it up is so that your tranquility is not at risk, but the activities are at the reach of your hand.
Other hotels have everything right there, aerobics in the pool, salsa lesson at the beach bar, and such, at the expense of the peaceful atmosphere.
Thank you for noticing and sharing your experience with others.

We are already looking forward to your next visit.
Best Regards.

Iván A. Fuentes.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My hubby and I just got back from a week in paradise at Petit Lafitte (July 28-August 3). We’ve been in the south 9 times and this is by far the most relaxing place we’ve stayed at! It’s not only a very relaxing resort, it’s gorgeous and intimate! What you see on the website pictures is exactly what you get! All that being said, the most impressive thing at Petit Lafitte is the quality of the service. They REALLY do make it a priority. Just to name a few, Javier and David are just amazing. David is the concierge who speaks many languages. He’s attentive to the customer’s every need and he will always have a good story to share. Javier is the dictionary’s definition of excellence in customer service. Seriously, his customer service surpassed all of our expectations! And it doesn’t end there, Antonio, Victor, Giovanni, Icidro, Felipe (manager), Jose Eduardo made our stay at Petit Lafitte even more enjoyable. In conclusion, if you want a great place on the beach to relax, we strongly recommend a stay at Petit Lafitte. And if you need a little bit more action and partying, la Quinta (Fifth Avenue) is only a 15 minute drive from the resort.

Thanks to everyone at Petit Lafitte for an AMAZING and MEMORABLE vacation!!! We’ll be back soon! Hasta luego!

Brigitte and José

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are great. You'll have everything you need. Our A/C was a bit noisy, but the cei...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Brigitte & José,

I hope you had a nice readjustment process after your vacation on the Mexican Caribbean Coast.
We are glad you chose Petit Lafitte and more so because you liked us.
"Relaxing", "Gorgeous" and "Intimate" speak of satisfaction. Thank you for voicing that. Just as wrote it, the people who work here, David, Javier, Felipe, Isidro, Giovanni etcetera, are people we value, precisely because they devote a lot of energy and love into their performances.
Thank you for mentioning about David, our concierge and his service attitude and abilities, specially after the previous review, by Frontierman. It is important to us that readers know that there is one person fully dedicated to our guests needs, and that person is David, the other staff, are excellent hosts that will also take care of you while they perform their regular duties, reception, waiting tables, housekeeping etcetera, but David is your personal host, someone that we assignated the job of making guests feel like they are visiting an old friend...Someone they can trust and ask for assistance.
It seems like you travel south often, 9 times would be considered "frequent flyer." We hope that when you come for your 10th time, you remember that you are welcome here in our house.
Until then, take care of each other and enjoy life.

Warm Regards,

Ivan A. Fuentes
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just spent almost a week at Petit Lafitte, and enjoyed it once we settled in, although we spent the first evening trying to find another place, and there aren't many that welcome kids. We had the bungalow closest to the beach, and although primitive, the location made it worth staying.

Resort isn't exactly the right word in my opinion, when the cabins are a little dirty and you're told not to put the toilet paper in the toilet. The man who checked us in was rude, we had to ask for beach/pool towels, and they give you one per person for your whole stay, and you pay for it if you don't return it. The pool was fine, mostly clean, but only open from 10 to 7, which felt a little restrictive for a family place. Water wasn't potable, but they do keep plenty of bottles of water in the bungalows. The food was fine, about as good as the rest of Playa Del Carmen which is not a culinary destination. Lunch was the best because it wasn't included. Some of the men who waited on us were wonderfully hospitable and attentive, some not very good. One left me sitting until after he'd waited on three tables who arrived after I did, then asked our cabin number three times during the same meal after we'd been there a week, like I wasn't really a guest. (We were in cabin one.)

We had their full attention when we checked out, they wanted to be sure we wrote a good review. But we're still not settled on whether we'd go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Frontierman,

I am returning from a 10 day vacation and I found your review to be the kind that ellicits mixed feelings.
If we take the three points you gave us and convert them into percentage, we get 60%. Barely passable! You seem to have liked some things and not others, but 60% satisfaction level is disappointing for us, I am sorry we did not manage to create a good impression in you. Perhaps it was the first encounter you mention, with a rude employee, upon arrival. First impressions are known to have a big impact on people and frequently determine the course of the unfolding events or relationships. Sadly, our performance seemed not to have an effect on you after that initial impression.
I would like to respond to some of the comments in the spirit of clarifying for other guests and potential guests how certain things work here.

1.- We have spoken with the receptionist who checked you in, he is someone who has worked with us for 4 months and is one of the "new" staff members, the thing is, we watch closely when we hire a new staff member and so far we had not had any complain on him. I am not trying to invalidate your claim, but I am saying that it is not a common incident.
It would have served us great to know about the incident soon, after you had gotten to know David our concierge or some of the other management staff that are trained to make eye contact, say hello and, when the response is warm, strike conversation.
One of David's duties is to write a report each day with remarks of his guests interactions. He tells me that the day prior to you departure he approached you to get your impressions, opinions, and suggestions, but you did not mention anything of what you wrote here. That is unfortunate. David has been working with us for almost 30 years and is one person we trust fully. I wonder why you did not feel Ok to tell him your comments, his job as a concierge includes being an "advocate" and a facilitator to the guests. After all these years, we know he is very good in what he does. But evidently, this time he failed at entering your world and gain your trust. We respect that you prefered to write your opinion here, after all we are well aware that the "new dynamic" since the cyber-boom. has mostly benefited us.
(ADVICE FOR READERS:
Please when you vacation here, feel free to contact any of the host staff persons, who are visible daily and in most case will make eye contact, and have a smile and a good morning for you. Ask for David, Guillermo or Felipe if you have an issue that needs attention.)

TOILET PAPER IN TRASH BIN.-
Most places along the Coast of Quintana Roo, Mexico, do not have access to the "city" sewage system. Therefore have to choose their own systems. Ours is a bio enzymatic septic system that is friendly with the environment.and approved by the environmental authorities. Unfortunately it is recommended that toilet paper, and other materials that are costumarily thrown in the toilet in cities of more developed countries aren't thrown in the toilet. It is not uncommon to small hotels like us.

BEACH TOWELS
I believe that there was a misunderstamding here. I'll explain: The hotel gladly provides one per person.
You can ask for it upon arrival. They are dispensed in the front desk. You are encouraged to keep it for more than one day, but this is only an "invitation." By no means you get one towel and are not allowed to get a fresh one. Specially if it gets too wet or dirty. Most guests keep it for 2-3 days, and then come and get fresh ones. Others, change them every other day, then some guests change it daily. It is up to you.
We just invite our guests to be sensitive with the environment and the usage of water and detergents.
Charging for lost towels, (guests sometimes take them o tours and leave them in at the ruins of Chichen Itza or somewhere else, where we can not retrieve them). Is not abnormal in most 3 and 4 star hotels in the area.

POTABLE WATER?
I am not sure of the idea here, but I get that you expected to be able to drink the tap water?
Ok, lets put it this way, in 25 years of working on this coast, I've not heard of a hotel that has safe potable tap water.
Most hotels provide bottled, purified water, usually in a limited amount, then sell you extra bottles if needed. We provide free, unlimited, bottled water, if anyone runs out of water, we have more at reception or at the bar.

POOL HOURS.
They exist so if there is ever a problem with guests complaining due to other guests having an early pool party in the morning or later at night, we have a writen clause to use. It is not a rule written on stone, a lot of times guests go swiming at night and it is Ok with us, as long as it does not disturb others.
Some nights we treat the pool with chemicals at the end of dinner so no swimming in the pool is allowed after 10:00 PM. We vacuum and clean the pool in the morning between 8-10 AM. thus the hours.
Here as in most cases, it is a matter of being polite and showing respect for the guests vacations.

Ok, seems to me that I covered most of the concerns here.
Now, I'd like to say that you had positve words for some of the staff, and in general for the food, and the location. We are glad that those aspects were satisfactory to you.

Thank you for trying us and best of luck in your future journeys.

Iván Fuentes
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful 6 days at Petite Lafitte and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing, affordable, and quiet retreat in Playa Del Carmen. The staff are very professional, courteous, and are always willing to go the extra mile to accommodate in any way necessary. The food was pretty good, mostly Mexican, with several options for breakfast and salad and soup and choice of 2 entrees for dinner. Lunch is also available. One of the best things about this hotel is that they don't "nickle and dime" you like other places. Bottled water is complimentary and unlimited and the drinks range from $3-5. For 6 days, our bar and lunch tab was less than $100. The beach is a little rocky in front of the hotel, but if you walk a little to the left, it becomes much nicer. We stayed in a bungalow and loved it. It felt like we were on our own private resort and the beach was just steps away. They have plenty of beach chairs and covered umbrellas and even hammocks to relax on. Don't miss out on the animal reserve at the back of the hotel. They have all kinds of species of rare birds and deer that have all been rescued. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely like to return. We would recommend changing your money to pesos, especially for the taxi rides, because you'll get a better rate.

Room Tip: We originally got a garden view room but got upgraded to a bungalow and would highly recommend that...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ayesha A,

It was very nice to read your review this morning, I realize you were here while I was gone for a vacation, I am glad to see that you had a wonderful experience and felt the staff was corteous and professional. I particularly appreciated your comment on being a hotel that don't "nickle and dime" their guests. It is very satisfying to hear that you noticed that, as we have taken that approach to our hotel, since we started doing tourisms, many years ago.
I see you upgraded to a Bungalow, from an original Garden View Room, reservation. Looks like you enjoyed your decision and the Bungalow as well.
Thank you for your positive comments on the food, the atmosphere, the beach, hammocks and service.
In summary, we just want to say thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte for your vacation, we are aware of the great importance and value that your "free time" has and I gather you did not feel disappointed at all. I hope, as you insinuate, that you will give us a second try next time you travel to the Yucatan Peninsula.
It will be a great honor.

Iván A. Fuentes

Been to Petit Lafitte? Share your experiences!