We'd read reviews about the noise but thought that all the other benefits would outweigh that issue, plus we have a fairly high tolerance for noise and didn't think it would be too bad. However, we were put in one of the most noisy rooms right at the back of the hotel, furthest away from the beach, and nearest to the nightclubs (room 307). We still thought we'd give it a go for a night to see if it was bearable but it definitely wasn't (and that was a Sunday night). The clubs close around 5am and we also found they get even noisier on Friday night. In addition the room had a really strong musty/ damp smell. I bought incense sticks but they didn't make a difference. So, after the first night, we asked to move.
Fortunately there was another room available (109) which was much better. The musty/ damp smell was still there but much less so. We could also still hear beats from the clubs, but not if we had the air conditioning on. The staff were helpful and amenable to moving us although it took 3.5 hours in the end rather than the 1 hour we were originally told, so it ate into our first day quite considerably. But once we'd moved our experience of the hotel was much better.
Clubs and noise aside the location is very good - right on the beach and on the main 5th Avenue so all the restaurants and bars are within easy reach. The breakfast included in our deal was just a slice of toast and tea/ coffee/ juice. We were told we'd had to pay extra for the buffet so we didn't bother with breakfast, we waited to have lunch on the beach: a couple of guys serve drinks and food all day and assist you with sun beds and parasols. But to get your beach towel you have to hand in a voucher provided by reception, and you have to ask when you want fresh beach towels (not something you'd have to do at a luxury hotel). You also have to tell the maids when you want them to clean the room, they don't do it automatically every day (again not something you'd expect from a luxury hotel).
The rooms are adequate but the two we stayed in were definitely in need of modernisation (they used a very good photographer for the official shots). That said they were nice enough and absolutely adequate. The beds were very comfortable and there are some nice touches like the hammocks on the balconies. The staff were also very friendly and helpful, and once we settled into our second room we really enjoyed ourselves.
So, if you're looking for cheap and cheerful Playa Palms is a good choice. If you want luxury I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swaying palms, lush tropical gardens and sweeping Caribbean views frame the charming palapa-roofed architecture of Playa Palms Boutique Beach Hotel. We welcome you to enjoy Playa del Carmen as it is meant to be experienced - where gracious service, superb amenities and exhilarating activities deliver just the Mexico you came to see. As the "alternative to all-inclusives," Playa Palms offers a relaxed and intimate departure from the larger resorts on the Riviera Maya. Stay walking distance from the vibrant shops, restaurants, and bars of 5th Avenue, known locally as "La Quinta." When relaxing at the hotel, guests have their choice of amenities and adventures. Whether you want to indulge in the delicious local cuisine, partake in a wide range of water sports, or lounge in a hammock on your private terrace while basking inexquisite ocean views, Playa Palms is an elegant oasis for relaxation in the heart of Playa del Carmen. Come to Playa Palms and Wake Up Inside Your Dream! Enjoy a complimentary Continental breakfast on your private balcony overlooking the Caribbean when you book your reservations directly through the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelClick, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Playa Palms Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Palms Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Palms Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico