“Still Going Back for More!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel to your Saves list
El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Privada 1 Norte, Mza. 35, Lt. 1, # 238, Col. Centro. | Corner 16th Street, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 45% off & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Vancouver, Canada
“Still Going Back for More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My first and only review on TripAdvisor was back in 2011 after we stayed at El Taj in July for a three week visit. I simply wasn't aware that such a genuinely amazing experience was possible — my previous resort experiences could best be described as average and not necessarily too memorable. That certainly changed after my experience at El Taj. Since then, our family has returned for a one week stay in March 2012 and a three week stay in August 2012. I am now in the process of finalizing arrangements for a one week visit in March of this year, which has brought back some fantastic memories, so I thought that I would relive them a bit on TripAdvisor!

For our one week visit in March 2012, my wife, two teenagers and I stayed in a three bedroom penthouse at El Taj Beachside. Our previous stay had been in a three bedroom penthouse at El Taj Oceanfront, so we had an opportunity to compare the two. What we discovered is that there is essentially no difference between the two in terms of room sizes, amenities and roof terraces. The only differences that we noticed is that staying at Oceanside added about 60 seconds to our walk over to the Indigo Beach Club, while on the other hand, at Oceanside we were closer to our favourite pool — an iridescent black-tiled one!

One other difference we noticed between our Spring versus Summer visit was that the air and ocean temperature were not quite as hot. We all wound up agreeing that we prefer the higher summer air and ocean temperatures — we realize that we might be in the minority in this regard!

For our three week visit in August 2012, we stayed at a three bedroom penthouse at El Taj Oceanside. As usual, our transportation from the airport, arranged through Condo Hotels, went off without a hitch. We all loved our return to the extra summer heat! Similar to all of our previous visits, the room, amenities and service were first class. The Gym had expanded since our previous visit and we all made good use of the well equipped facility. We enjoyed dining at the newly opened Imprevest restaurant — the food was spectacular and we returned for a couple of brunch visits, even though we typically enjoy all of our breakfasts at Indigo Beach at El Taj. We just couldn't resist!

Even though our kitchen had all that we needed to prepare meals ourself, as usual we dined out every night at one of the many fantastic restaurants in Playa. In addition to Imprevest, just a few that include both casual and fine dining: Oh Lala, Kaxapa Factory, Bro Chetas, Curry Omm, El Fogon, GG, Indigo Beach — the list could go on and on.

As usual, the aspect of our stays at El Taj that have made the greatest impression on us is the friendliness of the staff and their incredible attention to detail and service. From the front desk to the cleaning staff, the restaurant staff to the beach crew — all are truly amazing and they have made each our stays very enjoyable and memorable.

My family and I are definitely looking forward to our return to Playa in March!

Room Tip: We have stayed in four different three bedroom penthouse suites at El Taj Oceanside and Beachside. F...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Incredible, friendly and accomadating staff...Prime property on the beach, depending on the unit you get you always have one of the best sunset and sunrise views. Free continental breakfast are always plentiful with great breakfast items

• Stayed January 2013
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

All around wonderful place to stay. Rooms are big, beautiful, clean. Penthouse rooftop is incredible to hangout, bbq, jacuzzi or sunbathe. Breakfast and lunch at indigo beach both delicious. Complimentary dinner on Sunday night on the beach with a great live band was a nice perk. The staff here are so wonderful, excellent customer service. We would come back!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just returned from a one week stay at the El Taj. This is a top property in a great location, directly on the beach in Playa. We highly recommend it. Service is excellent and very friendly. Facilities are terrific. The pool is beautiful, and we especially appreciated the fact that it appeared to be heated, but with the beach right on the other side of the pool it's really more of a quiet place to relax than where you would spend the day. The beach bar and restaurant were convenient, food was good, service was great and we thought cost was very reasonable. Even beach service was great. The other restaurants affiliated with the hotel are just a short walk away - far closer than the walk you'd have at a big resort - and you are able to not only charge to your room but get a 10% discount. The hotel also includes access to a fitness facility called The Gym, which is just around the corner. Very nice facility and I've never stayed anywhere that not only included entry to the gym but the right to attend any class you want to take at no additional charge. Above and beyond!

We stayed in room 330 which is one of the fourth floor suites that includes three bedrooms, two baths a full kitchen (with one of the best stocked kitchens I've ever seen in a condo hotel) and a great roof top terrace. This was the only room of its type available when we booked and, as others have said, some of the room finishings do vary so be sure to check the details of the room you are considering in addition to it's location. If you can swing it I would opt for one of the fourth floor ocean front rooms (336 and 346 I think). The roof top terrace was a huge plus with a hot tub, grill, large seating area and table that would easily seat six. Not the perfect ocean front view from our unit but a good view nonetheless from both the lounge area and the hot tub. I will say it would be an amazing thing to have a group and book both terrace rooms which would literally give you about half the roof of the entire hotel as your own luxury retreat.

The hotel is on a small street about a block from 5th Avenue. You you can walk to hundreds of restaurants and bars so there is no need for a car and no need to worry about driving if you've had a few drinks. Groceries, beer, wine etc are all only about 1/2 mile away at either the Mega or Walmart. A pretty easy walk but you probably won't want to carry everything back to the hotel, so drive if you have a car or take a taxi home once you do your shopping. Ferry to Cozumel is also a short walk down the street or beach. My point is it's all incredibly convenient.

All in all a tremendous place and one we will definitely be going back to.

I only have one minor issue with the room layout. As others have commented, access to the roof top terraces is not restricted. Keep in mind that if you have a unit with a terrace, access is not from inside your room. You must leave your room and go through an entryway next to the elevator that leads to stairs to the roof terraces. There is a sign on the door that says "Private", but since the door is not locked anyone can wander up there and I can tell you that people can and do ignore the sign and go up for a look and maybe a little party. It would seem easy to just lock the door and provide you with a key but we were told on arrival that the door to the terraces is never locked. This means it's difficult to leave personal belongings on the terrace or maybe even beer or wine in your terrace refrigerator - although we did that with no problem. Also be aware that the terraces have access to each other. You go up the stairs and at the top go left for one terrace and right for the other. There is no door or gate between them. This tends to lead to "borrowing" things like lounge chairs between the terraces. I strongly suggest the El Taj find a way to lock those doors or somehow restrict access to the occupants of the rooms that are actually paying for the terraces.

But again, thanks to the El Taj for a wonderfull stay.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room on the top floor with a terrace, I believe rooms 336 and 346. 346 on the nort...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel this December! We stayed in the Penthouse suite #345. This is just the loveliest condo hotel! Our condo had 3 bedrooms and a spacious kitchen with a great room attached! The kitchen provided all your tools and appliances to easily make meals in, if you wanted to! Our private rooftop Patio/Hot Tub area had a wonderful BBQ, fridge and sink too! The patio table and lounge chairs were perfect for relaxation, or family and friends getting together! We spent a lot of our evenings up there!

Some of the things I personally liked were: it was incredibly clean! The bedding and beds were very comfy. It had 2 Baths (one an en-suite off the Master Bedroom) with awesome showers and lots of hot water! The condo had 3 wall safes to accommodate all your travelers. Washer and dryer are provided! Wifi is a flat rate $50 per week, which is comparable to all other hotels I’ve travelled to. An amazing perk at the El Taj is free and unlimited Local and International calling when you buy the Internet service! Wow! We called home often just because we could!

The hotel’s beach has beautiful white sand with lots of cushioned chairs and plenty of umbrellas for everyone. Towel pick up is right on the beach edge, which is really convenient. There is food and drink service all day long there, which you can charge to your room! The ocean is that lovely shade of turquoise, clear and clean! Yes, there are boats anchored along the water edge, but this doesn’t interfere with ocean swimming or beach walks, which we really like to do! We enjoyed watching the fishermen come in each morning with fresh fish, mainly Amber Jack, Wahoo’s and Barracuda’s! The chef’s would come out and select their choices for making the “catch of the day” on the menu! Served with salad this was the best meal on the Beach!! Yummy!

Noise at night is mentioned a lot in reviews I have noticed. The El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel is right on the beach in the heart of downtown Playa del Carmen. The hotel’s location is fantastic! It’s just a short walk out to 5th Street, close to your choice of restaurants & nightclubs, or if you prefer shopping! Playa del Carmen is a happy party place! Vibrant and a lot of fun! So I purposely took note to see what I could hear at night to give people an honest point of view. In the great room & kitchen area I could hear music faintly. But inside the bedrooms with the door closed I could not hear anything. I hate trying to sleep with bass beats pounding away till all hours of the night and I could not hear or feel them! It was wonderful!!! I think the location of penthouse suite #345 in the hotel is the key to what makes this room quiet. It is on the north side of the hotel. I would suggest; request the room you want by it's number when booking!

We loved the El Taj! I would recommend it to couples or families or groups! It’s a romantic place!! But I would also love to bring family here! It’s spacious enough for privacy and yet inviting for spending your daytime together, and there is so much to explore right in the heart of Playa del Carmen! It was excellent! We are already making plans for our next visit! :)))

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This 'hotel' is a joke. I paid an exorbitant amount for a 'partial sea view', which is all that is on offer for a 1 bedroom and got a fantastic view of the road! The supervisor did his best and moved us to another room, but do yourself a favor, don't stay here if you're just 2 people or want some romance. The place is extremely noisy and we were woken up by people cleaning at 5.50 am on the first day of our honeymoon. The view sucks for the amount you're paying.
The lobby/ entrance is unimpressive. The hotel doesn't have it own restaurant, so if you order room service, it's more like a delivery service from nearby restaurants. The menus are limited and uninspiring.

Breakfast is only available from 8 am, so if you have an early start, you might as well forget about. Everything about this place is disappointing. There are boats blocking the beaches in front of the hotel. The breakfast at Indigo were average.

There was mold in the shower. You don't even get complimentary coffee in this place.

All round, a big waste of my hard-earned money!

No complaints about the staff though.

Room Tip: Don't take 352
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Condohotels, Condo hotels, Managing partner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear SashSA

I am truly disheartened to hear all your opinions that can mislead other people. After all we have over 500 glowing reviews on trip advisor from other guests and we received the prestigious travelers choice award based on the reviews we received from other guests. I am sorry we were unable to cater to all your demands and we tried our best to make you happy. Thank you for recognizing our staff that did everything possible to make you happy.

Perhaps we are not the best choice for a honeymoon? However we do in fact have a resturant right on premise! We offer many promotions that include complimentary breakfast and coffee is available in our resturant which opens at 8:00am. If you prefer an early breakfast we serve breakfast starting at 7:00 am in our sister property (Maya Villa) located only on a half block away.

Cordially,
Jack Perlman, Managing partner
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great hotel! My family, friends and I were delighted by the impeccable service, cleanliness and private beach access at the Taj hotel. We are so grateful for all the attention we received from the day we checked in, the great service provided by the waiters, staff at the reception, cleaning crew and security guards. My wedding guests were so happy with the hotel some even extended their stay for an extra week. Thank you for all the little details in making our stay so special and for giving us so many great memories at the Taj. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel? Share your experiences!