“Exceeded Expectations AGAIN!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel

You added El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel to your Saves list
El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Privada 1 Norte, Mza. 35, Lt. 1, # 238, Col. Centro. | Corner 16th Street, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 40% off & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Naples, Florida
“Exceeded Expectations AGAIN!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have just returned from our third visit to the El Taj and it was as special as the first time we stayed there, when we pulled up front, Daniel greeted us by opening the car door, a big smile and a welcome back. He then escorted us into the reservation office. Of course there was cold bottled water and fresh hand towels for us to freshen up. Check in only takes about ten minutesand is actually a pleasant experience in a beautiful office and as far from a hotel lobby as you can get. A nice new perk is the PRIVILEGE card they give you for discounts at local restaurants and merchants. Its touches like these that separate Condo Hotels from any other options in Playa. They just keep improving on what is already a perfect blend of a luxurious environment and world class services

I could go on and on about the actual condo units.....suffice it to say they are a blend of a Four Season Resident property and what you would want your home in the Caribbean or should I say Bali to be. The recent posting on TA by sifiso0305 describes the units perfectly and eloquently.

They are the most opulent and consistent at providing the highest level of service while maintaining the grounds and units at a pristine level. We have often traveled and returned to a place we enjoyed only to be disappointed to discover that they have changed owners or management and the property and service have suffered. What I have discovered here is that the owner and management live here, they have lived here for a long time and are ingrained in the community and take great pride to bring you the best vacation experience possible. From the day you call to make reservations to the day you leave to go home you are pampered and truly made to feel special.

They also have the best beach club, Indigo, you never have to leave since they are now open for dinner. Prices are very reasonable and the food is outstanding. Pizza and shrimp on the beach under your Balinese style umbrella for lunch, a wonderful dinner of duck and amazing sushi under the stars on the beach. Be sure to ask for Carlos.

If you’re planning a vacation to Playa do yourself a favor and go to their web site condohotelsplayadelcarmen.com and check out their other properties which are all located within a block of each other and all have an individual and unique vibe and feel of being in an exotic tropical resort, which in reality you are. Each resort has their own lush and relaxing private pool and courtyard.

Half the fun of planning our return visit is going to their web site where you have access to each resort for pictures of the grounds, pools and most importantly each individual condo and they are 100% accurate. No photoshop here. If anything the pictures don't do them justice. We book directly through them and feel comfortable doing so because they are an American based company and I can choose the specific unit I want for my vacation. If you do have any questions just pick up the phone and give them a call at their 800 number. The reservation Manager is just wonderful to work with and will make sure your stay is perfect. The concierge can arrange anything from a zip line adventure to a private chef to come in and cook for you.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I would also suggest joining their mailing list for specials and its fun to hook up with them on face book.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are perfect
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

HOTEL: I could not say enough good things about this hotel! I booked on hotels.com at a discount and received a fabulous one bedroom king condo. It was beautifully appointed with a huge full kitchen, living room, bathroom, washer and dryer, and patio(unit 347). The place was so ultra clean. I never saw a single ant or bug once! Also, I have never experienced such a nice, dry, cool room- a/c worked VERY well, and they had ceiling fans in each room of the unit.

RESTAURANT: The restaurant was awesome- we didn't go there for breakfast, as we didn't want a buffet, but we ate there for lunch twice and I ordered the Indigo pizza both times because it was so good the first time. Shrimp, pesto, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes on it. YUMMMMM!!! The beach service was excellent- the attendants lay your towels out on a chair, adjust your umbrellas for the shade you want, then the waiter comes and serves you all day. Outside alcohol is not allowed at the beach club but we hung out there all day having beers, pina coladas, and pizzas and our bill for all day(for two people) was about 80USD each day. Not bad.

BEACH: The beach was super nice. Yes, there are boats there in front. Pretty much any hotel in downtown Playa del Carmen is going to have boats in front, somewhere in your view. With boats comes fishing. With fishing comes a foul smell at times. If you want to get in the water with less boats, there is about a 50 yard walk down past the majority of the boats. I just got in and swam past the boats, where the water is clear blue and still shallow. The boats are not parked close together, so it is very easy to get in and enjoy the water.
The bottom of the water is nice and sandy not rocky which is nice. The vibe sitting at the beach is super relaxed and pleasant, and the staff is friendly.

LOCATION: The hotel is located right in the middle of everything!!! I am not a huge party person anymore, but the hotel is about a block from all of the clubs. Even though it was really close, it was so quiet. So if you want to be at the bars sometimes, and retreat to a quiet place, it was great. Also, and of the restaurants downtown are within walking distance to the hotel. If you don't feel like walking though, the cab rides downtown were 2-3 dollars each way. It was so easy to just go back to the hotel if we needed to, and just walk around in the evenings. We ate at some really great restaurants: El Fogon, La Cueva del Cahngo, Piola, Fusion- they were all great. The recommendations we got were all fantastic!

CONCIERGE AND FRONT DESK- Everyone here was great, honest, etc. I was between booking a tour and going to Akumal for the day and the concierge, Teresa, helped us rent a car and recommended Akumal, even though the tour would have cost us a lot of money and I assume she would have gotten a nice commission on it. I was really impressed with her honesty. She told us about restaurants and information in Akumal, too. Also at the concierge they have books, magazines, movies, beach toys, noodles for the water, etc. The front desk staff was always friendly and helpful. The first night we got there the girl at the front desk took us to our room, showed us how to work the remotes for the TV, the coffee maker, the ceiling fans, told us how to walk to the Mega, etc. Everyone was so friendly- top notch!!!

NEW NEGATIVE REVIEWS: Really I am shocked to read the negative reviews. I have been to Mexico and stayed at several hotels in Cozumel, one in Cancun, and several in Playa del Carmen area and I have NEVER stayed at such an awesome place. The only thing I can figure is because of all of the awesome reviews the negative reviewers had some kind of greatly unrealistic expectations. The staff here would obviously bend over backwards to make people happy. They are number one and they want to keep it that way. There is an obvious overly helpful attitude here. I can only imagine that some people just can't be made happy.

SUMMARY: I can't wait to book another trip here!!! It was the best!

Room Tip: If you book with the hotel directly you can choose your unit, but we did run of house and it was awe...
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great condos, great service, great pool(s), 3-minute-walk to 5th Avenue but still quiet, free gym (real gym, not just two bikes and a couple of weights) --> great hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed a couple days at Porto Playa and moved over to El Taj for three days. If you love being on the beach, this is the place ! Both properties are wonderfully managed as condos with daily hotel services. We had a one bedroom apartment with a beautiful Gulf view from the living room and from a balcony off the bedroom. Nice to have a full size refrigerator, microwave, fully stocked kitchen. We were not staying for a long time but a washer/dryer stack in the unit was also available. It is a short walk to alot of nice restaurants. I can't say we had any noise problems that some have mentioned, however it might be advisable to ask if some units may be more quiet. Around the clock front desk service and security made our stay very peaceful and enjoyable. Can't wait to return and the only tough decision....here or Porto Playa ??

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

This is my first comment on Trip Advisor, though I reference it quite often to help inform my decisions on accommodations, etc when putting together my trips. I shared Rm #32 w/ another couple (also totally impressed w/ El Taj). I stayed here Sept 2-5, 2011. I'd have to work really really hard to find anything critical to say of El Taj. The place is spectacular, the grounds are spectacular, and the staff is spectacular to boot. I arrived around 9PM into El Taj and was greeted at the entrance of the hotel, where the staff ushered us into reservations to square up on housekeeping, keys, etc. That was all of 10 minutes at which point I was given a parking pass for my stay. Parking is free, garage is clean, and you can enter grounds from the garage area itself. The first step into the place defined my whole experience: serene, easy-breezy, contemporary, relaxed, oasis. The unit itself is stellar, well appointed, comes w/ shot glasses, pints, a solid blender, cutting board, forks/knives/spoons, safes for your valuables. You'd hate to be a smidgen of dirt cause the place is super clean and you have the option of having it cleaned everyday, just got to let the cleaning people know. They arrive around 12pm daily. The pool is a winner, great temperature, great views from the pool, unique design, and just awesome. The Indigo Bar is good. I had breakfast every morning and it was fantastic, I had the buffet. I ordered a drink from the bar (Pina Colada) and if there is anything that needed any improvement, which is not easy to find at El Taj, it would be the drinks. I'd hit up Mega, right up the street, for my drinks, etc though, so getting yourself set up w/ drinks, etc is nothing more than a trip to the grocery market away. Mega is as modern and large as any large grocery market in the US, it's huge and has everything you'll need to usher in the good times. I walked along the beach as far as I possibly could before being cut off by a barrier and El Taj is bar far the most beautiful place along a 3/4 mile stretch of the beach. I researched like a dog for three weeks before pulling the trigger on El Taj and it was some of the best money I've spent in quite some time. If you are on the fences about this place, I can say w/o hesitation, you've done yourself a solid if you chosen this place. The pictures, the reviews...it all marries up the second you arrive and see it yourself. Absolutely loved this place!

Room Tip: Rm#32, 2bdrm, opens up to Oceanfront and Pool,
nriskin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

With the reviews from Tripadvisor we decided on this hotel based on the #1 standing. The staff is remarkable-they will do anything to make your visit great. The cleaning was amazing. The pools are great. The condo is like a small house with beautiful layout and furnishings. The location is perfect.Walking distance to everything. What is really important to us is the turquoise water and the peace and quiet. The water is foul-it is not clear and there is an stench. The best swimming is about a10 minute walk north after the Royal. The noise at night from the clubs is unbearable. The staff did every thing possible to solve the problem including calling the officials. The noise goes until 5 am. Unfortunately when the noise problem was minimized the condo next to us got out of control. It is so hard to write a bad review since the hotel offered do much and the staff could not be better

Room Tip: rooms on the north side close to the beach will not have the same problems with club noise
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

We were very suspicious of all the good reviews, but have been pleasantly surprised at these fab condos just a block away from the hub of Playa Del Carmen. Having explored the rest of the town, this really is the best spot in town.

A great swimming pool, fun jacuzzi, free chairs, towels and parasols. The conceriege is so helpful and even lends out books, games, DVDs and magazines for free.

The only drawback that might upset some people are the noisy clubs which are only a few hundred metres away (particularly loud at the weekend). To be honest we were in room 319, which is probably the nearest to them and it didn't affect us. We just played some music using one of the two iPod docks provided in the Condo.

The industrial size bottle of drinking water in the kitchen was really helpful! We look forward to coming back one day!

• Stayed September 2011

Been to El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel? Share your experiences!