“Great resort + golf course.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Haciendas

You added The Royal Haciendas to your Saves list
The Royal Haciendas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cancun-Chetumal Highway km 289+10, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2 Special Price Tours!
Ranked #46 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Southlake, Texas
“Great resort + golf course.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I found out when I got there about the Nick Price golf course right at the entrance of the Hacienda hotel. The cost was $94 for the Monday tournament. If you play golf on another day, you can play for $94 after 1PM or around $150 in the morning. You can rent Ping knock offs (fake Pings) for free at the Scuba shop or rent Callaway's for around $40.
I'm from Texas and have been to Playa del Carmen at least 5 times and Cancun probably 4 times. There were 4 adults in our group. We thought it was one of the classiest places we've stayed in the Mayan Riviera. It was not crowded at the beach or at the restaurants and the food at the restaurants was all good. The buffet at night was great. It was a short walk to the beautiful beach. I met a lot of Americans who had bought time share weeks. Most every one that had time shares there told me they bought more weeks. Several had 3 weeks. We don't own one there but if I were to buy one, I would buy at Royal Hacienda. Every room has a view of the ocean. The Spa was very nice - you get the Excercise room along with the hot tub, Steam room and Sauna for $38 for a week or $8/day.

Room Tip: All the rooms were great. Stay next to the lobby for access to free coffee in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Greek first
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

we traveled with our 3 daughters and my parents. It was excellent in every way. very clean, comfortable, and luxurious. we are not owners, but were treated the same, with excellence. we also dived again with Dive Balam, Marcos does an excellent job.

I would highly recommend this place. Rates right up there with the Marriotts we've been to in the Hawain islands.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This beautiful resort is close enough to Playa del Carmen for us to take advantage of all that city offers but far enough away that the resort's beaches are uncrowned. Our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with a full kitchen is spacious and does not feel cramped when our family of 5 adults are all inside. There are plenty of diverse activities available at e resort, as well as 2 enormous infinity pools overlooking the white sand beach. Two separate kiddie pools, as well as dedicated lap pools assure that everyone can engage in their favorite water activities. The reef is mere steps away for snorkel ears. We never had a problem getting a seat in one of the 4 on-site restaurants. The rooms and grounds are immaculately maintained. Our villa was thoroughly cleaned daily, Our personal concierge was available to help us plan our vacation as needed.

Naperville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was our first time here as owners. We love it! The view from our balcony is spectacular. The grounds are immaculate. The white sand beach is beautiful. Pack water shoes for the ocean - some coral-rock throughout this area of the Riviera Maya. The rooms are spacious with a lovely great room/kitchen and lots of storage drawers and closets. VERY comfortably fits 6 adults. My only minor criticism is that they have just begun the all-inclusive option and need to work a few kinks out. That said, the pool restaurants and Los Murales are still fantastic and NOT your standard A.I. fare. Our favorite moments included swim up bar, awesome seafood ceviche, beach volleyball and balcony jacuzzi. Love this place!!

Port Haywood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have just returned from spending Christmas week at the Royal Haciendas with my daughter and her family. I have been an owner at the Royal Caribbean since 1988 and they own at the Royal Sands so we have a long history with the Royal Resorts. We liked the layout of the resort very much - it was beautiful and well-maintained with easy access to the beach and the decor and amenities of the villa were also excellent. We were very disappointed, however, in the quality of the food and the service at the Palapa del Sol restaurant. We ate there three times, hoping it would improve, and it did not. I had one of the worst hamburgers I have ever eaten one night and my granddaughter said the Caesar salad she was tasted odd so she didn't eat it. The quesadillas were dry and tasteless as were the chicken fingers. Service was extremely slow. We ordered a pizza one night to be delivered to the villa and waited over an hour for it to arrive. We also had a problem with the free internet service. It was very, very poor and my son-in-law paid for the upgraded package which was not any better. The shuttle service into Playa didn't help us much as reservations needed to be made 24 hours in advance and when we called, the bus was already full. Also we like to eat late so the service didn't do us any good but since there were six of us, it meant $50 in cab fares for an evening in Playa. We all agreed that the Haciendas were a nice place to visit once, but we will stay in Cancun from now on.

Room Tip: All rooms are of equal quality and and close to the pools and beach.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Okay, I'm probably biased because I own a timeshare here. But for a relaxing vacation, I just haven't been anywhere that beats it. The resort was fairly quiet when we were there in early December....no problem getting some beach chairs under a palapa. The pools were warm, the hot tubs were warm, but not hot...and the grounds were in immaculate condition, as always. And the staff here are always so friendly and helpful. For the first time, my wife and I made use of the on-site spa, and we weren't disappointed. Best massage I've ever had! It was quite windy the first 4 days, but died down the last 4. The ocean was warm and the water was relatively clear. Not great for snorkeling though, too much sand clouding the water, even near the rocky areas. The food was reasonably good. We took advantage of the all-inclusive for owners the last day and it was well worth it, even though Los Murales wasn't open Saturday....kind of strange. In my opinion, there just aren't enough restaurants to make the all-inclusive attractive for a whole week. You can see that Royal has started to cut back on some of the perks, programs and extras that owners have become accustomed to, and the number of staff has been cut as well. The global economy has negatively impacted Mexico in a big way. The new Nick Price design golf course (Grand Coral) was beautiful, but IMO overpriced for the services they offer. Even with a 25% discount for Royal Resorts guests, it wasn't busy. Overall, I love the resort and every vacation I've had here has been wonderful. Will be back next year!

Scarsdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We loved it here, the staff are so accomodating and the room is excellent. However, I'm not giving it 5 stars because the beach contains some garbage. Even though the workers try to clean it up, it's not what we have come to expect at luxury properties. Also, I recommend bringing your own pillow if you have problems sleeping.

PS we love the happy towel animals left by the maids. That should be an olympic sport!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Royal Haciendas? Share your experiences!