“Solid, challenging golf course, pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club

El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club
Carretera Federal Cancun- Playa del Carmen Km.298, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
52 984 206 4650
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #92 of 292 Activities in Playa del Carmen
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
Montgomery, Alabama
3 attraction reviews
“Solid, challenging golf course, pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'm a 10 handicap who shot 88 on this Greg Norman design. The views along the course of the different waterways were very cool. The wildlife was a great addition as well. We saw lizards and iguanas all over the course.

The holes that border the Gulf of Mexico are two short par 3s but the views are nothing short of spectacular. The greens were lightning fast and the course was in immaculate condition.

We saw the cart girl only one time out there which was a bit frustrating. We had a $25 lunch on the course which consisted of a grilled chicken sandwich, chips, a Nature's Valley bar, and two 16 oz bottles of Powerade. It was fine but pricey.

The course had some very cool holes. As far as design goes there were definitely some holes with some rather artificialized difficulties, like providing a cutout of the forest on the left side of one of the fairways.

The pro shop was nice but very limited on sizes. I wear a Medium and I only saw one shirt in the whole store in that size. I guess that's what happens when you play golf in Mexico in the summer. I walked away with a hat and a putter cover for $60.

Keep in mind, it's a very expensive day of golf. Off-season, the round was $180, my wife rode as a non-playing passenger for $35, lunch was $25, the shuttle to the course was $40, lunch was $25 for one person, and the hat and putter cover combined for $60.

It was a good day with fast play and great golf. It's a must play for real golfers.

Visited July 2013

Monroe, Georgia
“bring plenty of balls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent course! Surprised that the number one handicapped hole was the easiest for me. The par fives and threes were easier than the fours. Many long narrow fairways on the par fours. The most awesome sight were the caves on number one in the middle of the fairway.

Visited July 2013
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Feeling Like A Golf Pro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Every Golfer needs to play this course at least 2 times when they visit.... though I am not a "Scratch Golfer" yet and have only played for 3 1/2 years I felt as though I could learn a lot from playing on a course of this stature. From what I was informed, the PGA has taken over the management of the course in light of an event to be played here in November of 2013.

Visited June 2013
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
“Golf course was in amazing shape!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very well maintained & groomed. Greens ran true & the scenary was amazing. By far the best restaurant for value & freshness within the grounds.

Visited May 2013
Belfast , Northern Ireland
“World Class Golf Course !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I travelled from Northern Ireland to stay at Mayakoba in May 2013. Our rounds of golf on the El Camaleon course were the highlight of our holiday.
Gregg Lown runs a 5 star operation at this 'PGA Tournament' venue.
The staff work really hard from the moment you arrive to make your golf experience first class.
Golf clubs and shoes were cleaned every evening and ready for us the next morning.
The best course management of marshalling the pace of play we have ever experienced.
As a 'two ball' we were never held up by high handicap 'four balls'. The ability to do this and not offend other golfers is a skill in course management and 'public relations'....well done guys !
The course is immaculately presented, with lush carpet like fairways and large fast greens.
Tee to green a really fair test of golf.
We have never seen so many different species of wildlife (deer,iguanas,coati etc.) and colourful birdlife on a golf course.
Club house food was excellent as was the service.
We took a lesson with Marcos Zauzu from the Jim McLean golf school.....Marcos is a naturally gifted teacher. He has all the latest hi-tech video analysis equipment to sort out your swing (though even he found my swing a challenge !).
If you play golf and are thinking of the Riveria Maya as a destination....don't miss El Camaleon...you're in for a real treat !

Visited May 2013