“Looks good but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cielo

You added Hotel Cielo to your Saves list
Hotel Cielo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4th street, between 5th and 10th Ave., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Ranked #22 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Looks good but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Another over priced place due to location
1. I hated the beds (had two rooms but moved cause aircon was REALLY noisy) and that may seem like a small thing but after travelling all day and/or wanting to experience Playa DC you want a good nights sleep. The beds were lumpy and old. Really uncomfortable.
No hot water...unless you leave it running for 5mins or more. I expect that in a hostel not a hotel I'm paying good $ for.
Staff were ok, helpful but seemed annoyed if you bothered them.

The good aspects: close to the beach and tourist area. Clean.
Discount on breakfast in the (overpriced) restaurant

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you Heath for taking the time to write your review

We see that you traveled a great distance & we are sad that we were not able to add to your vacation, all we want is our guests is to have a great vacation experience.

Your review is quite the opposite of what we are used to so we are concerned & I would like to address your comments

About our rates, Hotel Cielo is always priced fairly & espceially during the New Year Season, it is part of our stratergy & why we are always full, many of the lower buget hotels were up as high as 500-600 dollars a night without tax, we were 255 - 395 which is almost half their price & they are 2 Star and below our rating. And please remember if you came through an online agency there are comissions being charged as high as 25% so always book direct

As for our beds, not sure how you arrived at your conclusion they are old & lumpy, but just so you know all our mattresses are a very high quality & most of our mattresses are approximately a year & 1/2 old & some are 3 weeks old & consideing we do not not run at 100% occupancy rate they are used much less than your own bed and they are in excellent condition & almost new, if they weren't I am sure there would be many more reviews about this

Our restaurant , is more than fairly priced, & even more so that you as a guest recieve 50% off breakfast, 10% off lunch & dinner & that a 16% Government Tax is included in the bill

The hot water, this time of the year it is hard to keep up the demand, many people are showering at the same time & all water is gravity fed so it does take a little longer to get to certian rooms, please accept our apologies for this.

Heath, we do care so I would really like for you to contact me about the A/C, almost all are new, I checked all the rooms & didn't hear any noises, so if you could let me know what room you were in it would really help us narrow it down.

Heath, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we truly sorry that you did not enjoy yourself as so many others have.
Owner
Steven Krisztin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hotel Cielo in Playa del Carmen is a charming place to stay on the Gulf Coast. The small number of rooms makes one feel as if he/she was in a private villa. The rooms are lovely and immaculate and the beds are wonderfully comfortable. Hotel staff is gracious, responsive to requests and yet respectful of privacy. The hotel is steps from the beach, shopping and a variety of bars and restaurants. I'm a pretty diverse diner and each day, I saw a restaurant I thought I would try tomorrow. However, the food in the hotel's restaurant, Carboncitas, was so consistently delicious and fresh, I opted to eat there for every meal. I can't wait to go back in the spring!

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you Scrblb for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success, we couldn't do it with out them.

Scrblb, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

And, dont forget....Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos are approaching their "10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY !!! "

Keep checking in on us at Face Book, Hotel Cielo Playa del Carmen or our Hotel Cielo website …. wait until you see what we have in store for YOU !!!

We will be Celebrating the whole Entire Year with specials….it’s gonna be BIG !!!!
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I loved this place so much in April I had to come back for Thanksgiving. I brought my mom and she loved it too. I can't wait til we go back again. It's perfect and affordable. Beds are soooo comfy wish I had one in my home. Staff is super friendly and super helpful. Printed my boarding pass and always helpful with information. Clean, convenient, affordable and super friendly. What more can you want. It's my hidden little gem. No more all inclusives for me.

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to write your review

It really means a lot to us when guests like your selves return, it lets us know that we are definitely headed in the right direction & thank you for noticing.

Well, we are so glad you brought your Mom & that you both had a great experience.

Jennifer, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

And dont forget....Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos are approaching their "10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY !!! "

Owmer / Manager
Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

After staying in hostels before, I really welcomed some nights in a nice hotel. The location is great: it’s on 4th street between 5th and 10th which means it is about 2 minutes walk from the beach but you don’t have the crowds and noise from 5th avenue. The staff is really friendly and helpful and helped us a lot with different questions (laundry, rental car, etc.). It is a really nice alternative if you don’t like the big resorts and hotel chains.
They have a restaurant where you get 50% off for breakfast if you are staying at the hotel (and 10% off for dinner). The food there is really good. They serve a good mix of standard European / American food and Mexican food for breakfast (I loved their Chilaquiles and pancakes), also their espresso is great. The waiters are amazing! First I feared that it would be noisy at night with the restaurant downstairs but we didn’t hear anything. They also provide you with a list of other good restaurant choices in Playa del Carmen when you check-in at the hotel reception.
They showed us two different rooms when we arrived and let us choose the one we preferred (the other had 2 double beds, but didn’t have a window). The room (#27) was really nice: it has a van and air conditioning. From our window we could even see the ocean (of course it’s not first-row ocean view). The room was pretty big and we had a double bed and a smaller bed in it. The beds were soft and comfortable and I had a really good sleep there. It is additionally furnished with a small table, a chair and a closet with lots of space for your clothes. Room and bathroom were clean. We spend lots of time at the beach and snorkeling so we brought a lot of sand into the room but it was cleaned really well.
They have free drinking-water at every floor. Also they provide you with after sun in the room and you can get a new beach towel at the reception every day (free and even without deposit). Their WiFi is pretty strong (no problems when using Skype in the room) and it also works in the restaurant.
Sadly the roof terrace was under construction when we were there and you couldn’t use it.
Two things that I think could be improved are 1) the safe: it is too small. Ok for documents and small camera but laptop or professional camera don’t fit. 2) The curtains covering the windows next to the door could be bigger. They don’t cover the windows entirely so it is not completely dark if you want to sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you Kaffeeane for taking the time to write your review

We see that you traveled a great distance so we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience

Well we love that you think we are Awesome & are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm.

Kaffeeane, we know there are many hotels / restaurants in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo / Carboncitos & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Where can I start... It's past 1 am right now, and there is music blaring right outside the the hotel. Bathroom smells like sewage, and toilet water keeps running unless I'm really careful with the handle. No phone, no coffee maker, no fridge, and Wifi dies every so often. Construction workers try to get in the room even when I tell the hotel owner I'm busy at that time (and anyone please tell me what needs fixed in my room!?). None of the curtains cover the whole window, there is no sense of privacy in this "ocean view" room that is facing the busy street. Talking about ocean view, I can see a piece of the ocean if I get out to the balcony and put my head out toward it. The rooftop that looks very nice in traveller's photos is actually quite trashed right now for some reason, almost looks like a safety hazard. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel is convenient but some of the staff clearly have no passion for their work -- whenever I come in, they stare blankly at my face instead of showing me to a table as they should.
When I talked to some local people about it, they told me about well located, quiet, a lot cheaper condos with full kitchen. Clearly, I paid dearly for my lack of research...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, December 4, 2013

We are sorry you did not enjoy your self, this is definitely not our goal & as you can clearly see from our past reviews, our guest genuinely enjoy themselves

I would like t take this moment to address some of your comments so our guests truly understand

Yes..... you are correct, we do not have phones , coffee makers & refrigerators in our rooms, we are not the Marriot Courtyard & we don not advertise anywhere that we have these amenities, our guests come here to relax, do absolutely nothing but enjoy them selves

The wi fi is a problem with the providers , Playa is still a developing city so sometimes the internet does go in & out, for an excellent signal we provide 5 nano station antennas, 4 wireless routers, DSL & Cable internet, but if there is no internet, there really is not more we can do about this, but unlike other hotels that charge for wi fi, we do offer it for free.

We apologies for the roof being under construction due to heavy rains, but you should not have been up there, there is a sign that clearly says," Please accept our apologies, the Roof Top is Closed due to maintenance" you should not have ignored this sign & entered through a closed door, you really could have been seriously injured.

As for construction workers trying to enter your room, you & I both know this is ridiculous, it was I that asked you to access your room so we could repair something on the terrace, you asked not to be disturbed, you specifically said you had a meeting & the next day would be better
& this is exactly what we did

What I find even more incredible is that you never mentioned anything about ALL you inconveniences to me when I introduced my self & asked to enter your room. If you experienced any problems what so ever, all you had to do was ask & everything would have been taken care of

When I respond to our reviews,, especially ones with complaints, I always try to remain professional & courteous, I try not to respond with emotion, we even try to learn from these particular reviews, but in this case there is nothing to learn here & I took this review a little personal because our staff & myself genuinely care for our guests comfort & our team always goes the extra mile and it reflects in all our reviews

I feel your review is with malice intent & you should be ashamed of your self for writing a review like this, especially that I had emailed you personally about your situation & you wouldn't even respond.

Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Everybody at this hotel was so friendly, made you feel like family. Miguel, I can not say enough about how nice and accommodating he was on our changing rooms because a friend we brought couldn't do the stairs.
The good, close to everything, the beach is only one block up and Yan-Ten on the beach on the left as you hit the beach, was the best. 30 pesos for each chair, drinks 2/1, and the club sandwich is the best. Hotel gave us big beach towels every day. Carboncitos next door 50% discount off breakfast and 10% on lunch and dinner. The beds were very comfortable, the curtains in the rooms are not good, do not cover the windows completely, and we had two very bright porch lights on the balcony that we couldn't turn off. Water pressure was OK, and if you ran the shower for a good 10 minutes you would get some hot water. The roof area was under construction. Would we stay here again, absolutely. All three guys at the front desk were the best. Will miss them for sure.

Room Tip: Bring clothespins to keep the curtains pulled together. Did not care for the smell of the soaps. Smo...