“Convenient, quiet and very Mexican” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cielo

You added Hotel Cielo to your Saves list
Hotel Cielo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4th street, between 5th and 10th Ave., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Convenient, quiet and very Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Everybody at this hotel was so friendly, made you feel like family. Miguel, I can not say enough about how nice and accommodating he was on our changing rooms because a friend we brought couldn't do the stairs.
The good, close to everything, the beach is only one block up and Yan-Ten on the beach on the left as you hit the beach, was the best. 30 pesos for each chair, drinks 2/1, and the club sandwich is the best. Hotel gave us big beach towels every day. Carboncitos next door 50% discount off breakfast and 10% on lunch and dinner. The beds were very comfortable, the curtains in the rooms are not good, do not cover the windows completely, and we had two very bright porch lights on the balcony that we couldn't turn off. Water pressure was OK, and if you ran the shower for a good 10 minutes you would get some hot water. The roof area was under construction. Would we stay here again, absolutely. All three guys at the front desk were the best. Will miss them for sure.

Room Tip: Bring clothespins to keep the curtains pulled together. Did not care for the smell of the soaps. Smo...
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you Lola for taking the time to write your review

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are part of our extended family & they are a large part of our success.

We really appreciate the kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed your self & had a great dining vacation experience

Lola, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
Steven Krisztin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

My friends weren't sure were we wanted to stay but we found this place on line. We loved it. Everybody was super friendly and also very helpful with recommendations on things to do
Great little spot I would recommend to anyone

• Stayed August 2013
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you Schiffty for your review.

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience.

Thank you for the recommendations, we really appreciate it.

Schiffty, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing hotel Cielo

And dont forget....Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos are approaching their "10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY !!! "
Keep checking in on us at Face Book or our Hotel Cielo website ….wait until you see what we have in store for YOU !!!
We will be Celebrating the whole Entire Year with specials….its gonna be BIG !!!!

Maple Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I suppose it really depends a lot on what you want out of Playa.

For us the all inclusive resort could not be more boring. I am sure it is relaxing and comfortable and for some folks that is the best choice. We like to experience things... part of the fun is picking a hotel that has character .. and yet is comfortable. This place was right out of a movie.

The hotel is small... works for me I only need one room. Our group was my wife, teen daughter and myself, we booked the family suite on the top floor facing the street. The rest was a lot of hoping....

When we arrived in the van after 12 hours of travel it was just evening. I could see we were only steps away from 5th ave and the restaurant on the bottom floor was setting out candles on the wooden tables in the street. This place really looked like the pictures... the man at the front desk greeted us and actually seemed to know we were coming.... that is comforting. This gentlemen spoke clear English with friendly and very welcoming spirit. he was actually excited to show me the room. He said to leave the bags and he would get them to the room and whisked us up the stairs...in the coolest series of winding staircases and open sitting areas.... beautiful tile everywhere. Large tropical plants.... old world wooden shutters, arches and high ceilings...

My wife let out a few wows.... and my 14 year old thought this place is cool. Our host lead us up the second set of stairs to a big open patio... and off down a hallway with more cool shuttered windows to our room.

By now you get the idea... yes it was great... tile everywhere... great pottery sink... curtains everywhere to cover the many windows and door to the balcony. I stepped out on the balcony to see the town coming alive for dinner..... the wife was giving me props for this gamble.

By now our host had brought our luggage and explained the digital remote controlled air conditioner and ceiling fan settings.......I later found out this oh so helpful gentleman was Abraham the hotel manager. He had been kind in email when I asked questions... but I never thought he would be hauling my bags and welcoming me.

This is not my first trip to Mexico so I was a little leery of the bed.. hmmm this seems awful soft. Later it produced several nights of first rate sleep... sadly yes better then the not so old bed at home. I did pop up at 6am to stand on the balcony.... I could easily see the ocean and waves softly hitting the beach. This may be the best hotel pick ever. At night the restaurant below would fill with dinners and the roaming musicians would play on the street below.... My most enjoyable hours were before dinner.... with a bottle of Tequila sipping and people watching. Sometimes the heat outside was brutal...but the room was easy to cool with a good ac unit (quiet too) and a ceiling fan.

So you think I have told you everything? Almost, I wanted to call out Miguel at the front desk. He was just that friendly face that was so helpful and kind. He made us feel like we were friends, we felt we had someone on our side.... so nice when you are a little fish out of water.

He even helped us venture to the more traditional carts in the park that were serving locals the best pork sandwich I have ever had.....and I think it cost about $1.50. He helped with WiFi ... he helped with Spanish... he helped with money.

I can't say everything was perfect.... one night I had a toilet flushing problem... but with a great staff, problems are not really a big deal.....

We never stay at the same hotel twice... we like to get out and see what we can on our limited budget.....but I don't think my wife will want to risk not staying here.

It was like living in a postcard

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you Maple Valley Man for taking the time to write your review.

Well, what can we say except ....WOW, your review was like reading a book, describing a scene for a romantic setting for a novel placed some where in Europe.

We really enjoyed reading it, the whole hotel is buzzing, we were all clapping & some with our mouth ajar.

In addition , we are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves & had a chance to experience our warmth & charm...thank you for noticing.

Mapel Valley Man, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo

And don't forget, Hotel Cielo & Carboncitos are coming up on their 10 year anniversary, check us out at facebook or our Hotel Cielo website.....we have some big plans for 2014 !!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Located 2 blocks from the bus station, Hotel Cielo offers a very Mexican looking hotel with an authentic flair. Charming is the way my husband would describe it. We rented room 26 for 3 nights. Located on the top floor and being advised via tripadvisor of the noise on the lower levels; the king size very comfortable bed comes with 2 pillows and a blanket. A/C. TV and adequate armoire for clothes. A sink and nice sized bathroom with shower. Shampoo and soap provided. The hotel is next to carboncitos restaurant. You get a 50% discount for breakfast and 10% discount for lunch and dinners. There is internet in the hotel but not always reliable in the room. The rooms open to the inside courtyard and there is internet access in the courtyard areas, as well as the restaurant. The hotel is located in a busy area of Playa Del Carmen, so it is not surprising that the place is a bit noisy at night. You can hear the kitchen, music from the street and other guests coming and going via the common courtyard. The ceiling fan and A/C can soften this sound and in no way takes away from the hotel but you may want to be informed of this. There are small safes in the room, you just need to ask for a key and they offer beach towels. There is fresh drinking water on all levels. While we were there, they were in the process of re designing the roof level. It is quite nice and worth a trip up there in the evening. You can see the lights of Cozumel. I absolutely loved the architecture and will post photos. The price for the rooms is fair. Not the least nor the most I have seen in PDC but the located is 2 blocks from the bus station and the beach so it close and convenient. You will have to decide on the noise level, which after 3 nights really wasn’t too bad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review

We really appreciate the kind words & we are delighted that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

We are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm,
thank you for noticing, it really let’s us know we are heading in the right direction

As for the WI FI... Please let me assure you.....it's not us , we have 4 wireless routers, a DSL line, a cable line & we just installed 5 Nano Station antennas for more signal.

It is the providers, there connections go in and out , their infrastructure is not up to par , Playa still a developing city, and believe me I know it's frustrating, I am constantly on line & it is complicated to get things done. We complain weekly , but I guess I am grateful to even have what we have.

Acme Flower, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Corozal Town, Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This quaint and cozy hotel is tucked away on Calle 4 just off the ever popular Avenida 5a. You can see the beach when step out of the Hotel. This hotel has "old world" character and charm.
The rooms on each floor are unique and are very clean, comfortable and cozy.
The staff are very conscientious and attentive to the needs of their patrons. The Night Clerk went above and beyond to help me when I first arrived, and I am very grateful. I was meeting my daughter there, for a visit. We plan to meet again and again at this "Little Gem" in Playa del Carmen!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own personality. Some do have balconies.
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review

Donna , we are delighted that you enjoy yourselves & had a chance to experience our warmth & charm.

Donna, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

having traveled to over 30 countries, hotel cielo stands out. When you consider the reasonable rates, the proximity to the ocean and the personalized attention, you cant loose. The owner Steve, is always more than happy to set you off in the right direction. From advice on where to eat, drink, dance or site see, Steve is more than happy to assist!
Great times!

Room Tip: each room is special. most hotels have the same style room. hotel cielo keeps it fresh buy having mu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you Harry for taking the time to write your review

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest & we really appreciate the kind words.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your self & that we were able to help create a great vacation experience for you.

Harry , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

hotel cielo is a cute boutique style hotel w a spanish colonial feel to it on the corner of famous 5th ave. one block from some of the nicest beach front in all playa. friendly atmosphere and the staff is super nice. nothing fancy like the new stuff of playa, still has playa's old charm. i always stay there!

Room Tip: something in the back for quiet, something upfront w balcony to view the street life, and activity...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review

And yes ....we are Old School, old world Mexican charm & etiquette, the real Mexico....Thank you for noticing

Dungeondj, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera

Keep checking in on us Face Book or our Hotel Cielo Website ..…. wait until you see what we have in store for YOU !!!

Steven Krisztin

Been to Hotel Cielo? Share your experiences!