“Friendly, clean and quiet in the centre of downtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cielo

You added Hotel Cielo to your Saves list
Hotel Cielo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4th street, between 5th and 10th Ave., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Ranked #28 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Winnipeg
“Friendly, clean and quiet in the centre of downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my first stay at Cielo, although I have stayed in Playa del Carmen many times over the past ten years. the rooms offered vary in size depending on your budget and personal requirements. rooms were very clean, well lit and best of all, within a short distance of 5 th Avenue I never had my sleep disturbed by street noise. With only one entrance which is constantly monitored the hotel is safe and secure. Staff, from the owner to front end staff and cleaners are always friendly and helpful. Two additional gems associated with this hotel are the restaurant next door (part of the hotel) and the so far only partially developed rooftop. Go up on the roof at night and I swear you can hear the Nylons singing "up on the Roof" with a Mexican accent of course. I loved my two weeks at Hotel Cielo and I will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have less of a view but are great for sleeping. rooms in the front may be noisier...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you Chefdiverdon for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay & had a great vacation experience. Thank you for mentioning the staff & coming from a chef, we really appreciate the mentioning of our restaurant Carboncitos, it really means a lot to us. Don, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya .
Steven Krisztin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

It was a toss up between booking a time share or this spot and glad we went with this option. Expenses in Mexico can add up- from excursions to meals to shopping to tipping- so this was a good deal. Staff was great- met the one of the owners, also from NYC. Overall, the convenient location is what sold us. If you are looking for a resort with a spa and pool, then don't come here. BUT if you are looking for a bargain that is close to the beach and the main strip, and whose staff pride themselves in customer service, then consider this spot. Great restaurant recommendations too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you Mrsdnyc for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you had a chance to experience our warmth & charm. And yes , you are correct, we do pride ourselves in great customer service, when I took over the management back in Feb 2011 I made a promise to bring back great customer service, not the mediocre customer service that you & I both have been accepting as good customer service. We feel this is what separates us from the rest of the hotels here in Playa & we thank you & our other guests for sharing their experience here on TA, it really means a lot to us. Mrsdnyc, we know there are many hotels here in Playa del Carmen so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya .
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A very small and basic hotel right in the heart of Playa Del Carmen. Within steps from 5th Avenue and all the beach clubs, this hotel is perfectly located. Our package was room only basis but this still entitled us to 50% off breakfast in the ajoined restaurant Carboncitas and 10% off all other times.
The regular basic rooms are definitely no frills, dark and small which we fully expected when booking but unfortunately after a few days sick in our room, it became a very depressing sight. Lucky for us the wonderful and ever helpful Miguel in reception upgraded us to on of the bigger rooms for our last few nights. Miguel was fantastic throughout our whole stay and nothing was ever too much trouble.
The hotel provided 10% discount to the local beach clubs, Bad boys, Wicky's & fusion and also rented out beach towels at a 200 peso deposit
All in all a very cute hotel, definitely perfect for location and staff

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you SUEYF for your review. Its terrible to get sick & especially when on vacation,we hope you are feeling much better. We appreciate the 5 star comment and Miguel was delighted to hear that you mentioned him. We know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so we thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we hope to see you when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent 4 nights here recently and couldn't have been happier. Beautifully tiled floors, air conditioning, clean room and incredibly helpful and friendly staff. I had a number of questions and their staff were more than willing to book tickets, suggest great local spots and go out of their way. Its a stone's throw from the beach and right in the heart of all the action, but as its set back just off the main strip you aren't affected by any of the noise. I used this as a greaet place to base myself while I took day trips to Akumal and a number of local cenotes. I'll definitely be back,

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you Matt D for taking the time to write your review. "Perfect Oasis"..... love the title, thanks, much appreciated. We are delighted that you had a great vacation experience & that you had a chance to feel our warmth & charm. Thank you for mentioning the staff, they are such an important part of our team & they really make Cielo shine. Matt, we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we hope to see you when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I'm impressed how clean and well laid out this property is. There is just a hand full of rooms, with a highly rated restaurant adjacent to hotel, very personal service and with the restaurant discounts you can eat like a king at the property or close by restaurants on 4th heading west. Very enjoyable and happy to recommend. I'll make sure to book here again.

• Stayed November 2012
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you Bizatl for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you were impressed with our little hotel. Thank you for mentioning our restaurant & the service, our staff will always go the extra mile & they really enjoy creating great vacation experiences.
Bizatl , we know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen so we thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we hope to see you when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is total comfort. The staff is very helpful. The rooms are clean with tiled floors and comfortable beds. The water pressure could be higher but it is acceptable. For the cost it was a great deal. The location is wonderful you can walk all over town or rent a bike or scooter a block away. Your breakfast is half off at Carboncitos which is a great restaurant. Anything I asked of the staff was taken care of with no problems. Would stay here for sure next trip to Playa.

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you Redhare54 for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay & had a chance to experience our warmth & charm. We really appreciate the kind words & thank you for mentioning the staff, they really are the best. Redhare , we know there are many hotels in Playa Del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you on your return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera.
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is my third visit to the Hotel Cielo and it keeps getting better & better, on this trip I found that they had renovated all the rooms with most comfortable beds, the service and staff are always a pleasure especially Miguel & Abraham, they were nice enough to upgrade me since I had stayed there before, they also hooked me up with some great restaurant recommendations, try Romeos for the best Italian food in Playa ( my opinion )

Room Tip: Ask them for a upgrade and if they can they will
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you Marco Polo 9 for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay & that you had a great vacation experience. Thank you for noticing our recent up grades,The beds, I know, they are the most comfortable mattresses, some times when the hotel wasn't full, I wouldn't return home just so I could sleep in heaven, then house keeping threw me out & I had to buy one myself. And the staff really enjoy the reviews, they are our extended family & really enjoy what they do, we appreciate the kind words. I also see you took advantage of my restaurant list, I enjoy Romeos as well, I eat there at least 3 times a week. Marco Polo, we know there are many hotels in Playa Del Carmen, so thank you for continuing to choose Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you on your return to the sunny Riviera.Maya.
Steven Krisztin

Been to Hotel Cielo? Share your experiences!