“back again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cielo

Save Saved
You added Hotel Cielo to your Saves list
Hotel Cielo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4th street, between 5th and 10th Ave., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Santa Barbara)   |
Special Rate
BEST PRICE CLICK HERE !!!
Ranked #34 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Charlotte, North Carolina
“back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

me and my wife love this place. its a easy walk from bus station and always treated well and given a great room. the staff is always great and very helpful . we had room #16 and the a/c works great. this is always a must for us having great a/c. food is great as always and the service at the resturant very good. close to the beach and any thing else on 5th that you may wish to see or visit. hope to be back again in may 2013 as this is a must visit place for us.we have used this hotel for our starting point for our travels in the area and will do so in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you nc-1traveler for taking the time to write you review. We are delighted that yet again you had a great vacation & enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate you mentioning the staff, they are a huge part of our success & we are very thankful for this. We know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for continuing to choose Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera.

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a wonderful little hotel just steps from all the nightlife and shopping along 5th. Avenue in Playa del Carmen. The staff is very outgoing and helpful. The hotel seems to have gone through a major renovation lately and the rooms are very finely appointed. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are very soft. It is not a fancy hotel but it is very clean and moderately priced. They even throw in 50% off breakfast at the very good restaurant next door.

Room Tip: If you do not like winding stairs, ask for one of the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you GOG8RS for taking the time to write you review. We are delighted that enjoyed your stay & that you were able to experience our warmth & charm. And yes , we have done many upgrades this season, new curtains, new 300 count linens, new pillows, 700gram towels & really amazing mattresses, they are so comfortable I even bought one for myself. We know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for continuing to choose Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Mayan Riviera.
Le Gosier
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

For those who don't fancy all inclusive hotels, this place will work for you.
We (my wife, our 2 children and myself) stayed at El Cielo on august 2012 for the last night of a 11 days trip in Mexico before going to Cancun airport and get back home.
The receptionist was very kind and he helped us to carry our luggage from the car which was parked two blocks away. The registration took 3 minutes, restaurant list and WiFi code included.
The room was very cosy with a large balcony over the 4th street. I can't remember how were the beds because I slept like a baby.
The hotel is very close to the beach so that the best you have to do before having a breakfast is going for a bath in the caribbean sea or at least a walk on the beach when the sun rises.
I guess I couldn't make a better choice for our last night in this wonderful country.

HotelCielo, Owner at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you Yann L for taking the time to write you review. We are delighted that enjoyed your stay wi & that you were able to experience our warmth & charm. Please , it was our pleasure to be able to assist you with your luggage & its those mattresses....I think I going to start selling them, so happy that you slept like a baby..... its just want we want.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I just came back from Playa, after spending 10 days in August 2012 in this hotel, and I can tell you that it was a great place to stay, the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, the restaurant Carboncitos has really good food and the location could not be better, right in the middle of everything.

On top of all that, the service is excellent, Abraham at the front desk was polite and courteous and the entire staff was really nice, and of course the Desk Manager, Miguel Angel, was the reason I book there in the first place, from my initial phone contact from LA, he guided me to plan my trip better, gave me a great deal, recommended places, etc, really helpful guy.

I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Call Miguel Angel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HotelCielo, Manager at Hotel Cielo, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you Ivan G for taking the time to write you review. We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience. Thank you for mentioning our restaurant Carboncitos, which we will be upgrading in the near future. And thanks for mentioning the staff, they really love it when I read them the reviews, it is then they really start to shine. We know there are many hotels in Playa del Carmen, so thank you for choosing Hotel Cielo & we look forward to seeing you when you return to the beautiful Riviera Maya.
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

we had the family room-- balcony, 3 beds, wonderful view of the ciudad.
the desayuno at carboncitos is such a deal! very affordable. hotel cielo has just what we were looking for. especially proximity to the quinta

New Lenox, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Well, myself, my wife and 3 year old daughter returned to Hotel Cielo exactly 1 year later this Aug 2012. My first impression is that the little things have greatly improved an already great hotel, such as the scented soaps and freshners in the bathroom that removed any musty smells, to the new beds, and the best was the wireless internet access. It is also obvious the owner Steve treats his staff well, as Miguel, the house keepers, etc are all still there with their smiles. The hotel is still only one block from the beach (ha, ha), and this year we ventured out more towards Steve's recommended restaurants to save a little cash. None of them let us down. Four to specifically visit are El Fagon's, Veracruz, Romeo's and Manny's. We became regulars at all of these restaurants, and ate breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Carboncitas, every morning. I highly recommend the enfrijlados. I will end with a quote from my review last year. "Remember, this is not an all-inclusive Cancun hotel. This is for people like myself that like to use a hotel simply as a launching point to discover Mexico on their own."

Room Tip: Some rooms have one bed, some have three. Ask for a room that will fit your needs accordingly.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We made sure to go back again to this boutique hotel for a short stay this year and we were not disappointed. Still clean and comfortable—and the price only went up slightly. The restaurant (Carboncitas) was very good and it was fun to sit and people watch. If you plan on leaving early in the morning don’t forget to ask for a receipt when you pay so there is no confusion on checkout.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cielo? Share your experiences!