“Good value; great dog” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Cancun
“Good value; great dog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

My friend and I had a lovely stay here for the price. Our room was clean and tastefully decorated in a Mexican style - lots of bright colours going on.

Marbella the owner was very welcoming and brought us a breakfast of the most delicious fruit and yoghurt to our room each morning. Special mention also to the beautiful, excitable schnauzer, Gala.

The rooms look out into a jungle garden which is pretty but there is limited communal space so if you want to socialise, this isn't the place for you.

The location is not the prettiest but it's only about ten minutes walk to the beach. Although bear in mind that the beach and 5th Avenue, the main street of the town which lies parallel to the beach, are long. So you have to be up for a walk to see all there is to see in the centre of town.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Business
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Not a luxury hotel and yet, you are constantly surprised by their attention to detail. The location is not the greatest and yet, you can easily forget it due to the fantastic Marbella, the manager, who makes every effort to provide with a great stay. Rustic and pretty apartment, tasty breakfast delivered to your room, air con, fans, kitchenette, your own wifi modem and even a device to prevent Mosquitos from bugging you at night. A great bargain!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We had the fortune of staying at El Duende del Mar in early 2007. We loved it. It's location is centric to the center of town, Quinta avenida, and the beach. Renting bicycles was a great option we used to explore our surrounding area. Let me start with the BEST carne asada place EVERRRR HC de Monterrey. It is 2-3 blocks away and believe me.... It is the BEST! Anyway, we are planning to return soon. Clean rooms, great kitchenette too (all that is necessary to cook when on a budget) close to markets, no issues with water pressure, loved our breakfast in the garden (their chicken chilaquilles and granola are BOMB). Highly-highly recommended!!

• Stayed April 2013
Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We have stayed in El Duende del Mar from 3rd to 17th of march 2012.
A bit hard to find, as there is nor real sign outside the building where you find the reception. If you enter the garden, which is closed by a big wooden door, you feel like you are in a dschungel in the middle of the town. We stayed in the Alux appartement which is a nice room with an kitchenette and a small balcony with hammock and view into the tropical garden. From the first minute, we felt like at home. The rooms are very clean, every second day it is cleaned an you receive new towels.
You live in Playa but away from the tourist part in Avenida Quinta, if you enter this road, you feel to be in a total other world. For people, who don´t like to stay in an all inclusive hotel and who don´t need to have a direkt beach access, El Duende del Mar is the best place to stay in Playa.
The owners are very friendly, they only speak spanish, but if you know a few words, it is easy and funny to communicate with signs ;-) The first day, we got the continetal breakfast which consists of toast, butter and jam. If you prefer to have a mexican breakfast, just tell them and you will get scambled eggs or omelette with beans and tacos. The breakfast is served at your desired time in your room!
Thanks to the team of Duende del Mar for two fantastic weeks! We will come back ;-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I stayed at El Duende del Mar for 3 nights. The hotel is a little hard to find since there is no sign announcing it. I had a very clean and spacious room and the garden is simply great. I was there only to sleep since I was diving all day! I had a hammock on my balcony and the environment is very relaxing. It's a simple no-fuss hotel but I liked it. I liked the fact that it is not in the crazyness of 5th avenue (10 min. walk). I think that Internet access is free, but ONLY if you have your own computer. (Many Internet cafés nearby). Also, if you plan on cooking your own meals, the kitchen seems to be well-equiped. The hotel is cheap and you get what you pay for.
The lady who showed me my room (and who seems to be the owner) only speaks Spanish. I really don't mind because I can also speak a little Spanish, and, let's face it, it's in Mexico, but I thought you should know.
I'm really not demanding when it comes to that kind of simple family hotel, and I don't want to be overly negative, but I need to mention some less pleasant features.
- There is absolutely no water pressure in the shower. I mean none!!
- The hotel does not accept credit cards. Cash only.
- Here's how it's configured: you enter through a locked door leading to the cool tropical garden. Then I had access to my room through a shared kitchen (shared by 2 rooms) (the bathroom is also shared by the 2 rooms). Also a locked door. It's ok so far... But the door of my room could not be locked. There was only a hook! I tend to trust people when I travel, but I am really not comfortable with the fact that someone in the other room could freely access mine. This is probably more disturbing for you ladies traveling alone (I need to add that Playa del Carmen is a VERY safe place!).
- I was under the impression that breakfasts were included in the price. But they are not, and they are very expensive (for Mexico, that is). I had a glass of orange juice, a plate of fruit and a couple of toasts every morning, and I was totally shocked to see that they charged me 8 US$ every time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

My parents and I stayed at Duende del Mar from 3/29 - 4/4/09 and found it a very enchanting hotel. The owner, Denis and his staff (Marbella & Hector and everyone) were extremely accommodating and we felt like we were at home. We had a 2 bedroom suite and it was very spacious and included a kitchen/living room area on the 2nd floor with 2 enclosed balconies (one that overlooked their tranquil garden area). We would stay at Duende del Mar again! Thank you to all at Duende del Mar for our wonderful vacation!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Sorrento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

To all the Dear friends thinking to visit mexico, but avoiding the restricted and unpersonnal all inclusive hotels El duende del mar is the place for you.It is located on Avenue 30 at 5 minutes walking from the main street 5 Avenue and 7 minutes from the beautifull main beach and 8 minutes walking from the main bus station.
This is pratically a residence with lovely apparments at reasenable price from $35 to about 70/80 $ depending as well on the season.The place where is located ,can look a bit doggy at first glance, but is only appearence.There is very safe and after 2 evening you will fill confortuble like you would be home.The residence or condo hotel as they call it here , has a nice garden sourranding the building, making it very safe and with a tropical touch.Denny the gentle italian host is a very nice boy and will help in any circumstancy. In terms of location i would not change it for any, only at 5 minutes from the main road (Touristic ) you feel aleady in a mexican neighbourhood. That means also to find an excellent lunch fro 4 $ or, if you want to be on the budget all apparments have a lovely kitchenett, local shop are just on the side or at less then 5minutes walking there is a big supermarket with any thing you want at 50% cost , respect to europe.Not to be forgotten is the fact that ,the garden has a barbecue at disposal of the guest.If youloo for an accomodation for long or short stay , spend less and filling in mexico being practicly at few step from a fun city centre el duende will suite you. Denny the host has just open a small condominium with lovely appartment on 5avenida. it is on the exspansion area of the road so about 5 minutes walking from the main part and 5 minutes from the location and very suggestable for longer stay as danny can sort out a long stay plan with good discount .Last thing to say the photo on the web site are absolutely real and in elduende there is an excellent free wifi service

elduendedelmar.com

Gerardo Cuomo and Siobhan wright

• Liked — Price location nice place
  • Disliked — some noise from the road
  • Tips/Secrets — eat in near restaurant and have fun on 5av
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to El Duende del Mar? Share your experiences!