“Exellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

avenida juarez | Avenue 15 norte y calle 2 norte, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
stockholm
“Exellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here in february 2012 and was suprised by the quality of rooms they had.even though i booked a single room the man at the reception give me a double room and it had everything Tv lockers,nice bathroom (only cold water though)but i didnt mine since it was so hot ,the location is perfect ,only couple off blocs from the beach with so meny restaurants and take away places with half the price from the beach .the balcony was on the first floor where you could meet other travelers and pick up wi-fi signal ,overall i realy enjoyed my stay here

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

thank god we did not had to stay there more then 1 night, although we booked for 2nights(we were ready to loose the money for the 2nd night). but the 1st night was more then enough for us. no window in the room,very noisy,no hot water,toilet did not work properly,staff was not very nice,location was not the best (as I read from tripadvisor before). SO, I REALLY DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS PLACE. There are a lot more nicer places and with the same price in Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I read the reviews here before I booked a room. We only needed a room for 2 nights. I like to use hostels abroad and the reviews stated this is more a like a cheap motel. Sounds good to me.

I don't think that most people who stay there drive a car. We may have been the only ones or 1 of 2. The parking lot can only fit 2 cars but we were always able to park. There is a tv in the room and wifi if you ask the front for a password. The room seemed clean and the bathroom was decent. So far, sounds good.

The first night, I noticed the noise issue but not from humans. Across the street is a park and the birds are plentiful and noisy. They do not stop crying, no matter what time of night or day. I travel with strong earplugs I use at concerts but still, the birds were a distraction. Of course, there's nothing the hostel can do about this but you should seriously consider it before your stay. Perhaps some people just go to the area to party so they're drunk and can sleep easily. I try to walk around a lot when travelling so I'm usually exhausted at night but I'd wake up due to the birds.

The second night, we returned back to the room to find that there was a serious ant trail near my bed. There wasn't any food but the ants were searching the trash can so I'm not sure what they were fond of. As long as the ant trail didn't move to my bed, I was fine with it, though it probably would've creeped others out as it was inches from my head. By morning, they were gone.

Given that I can't get a good night's sleep there combined with a possible ant issue, I gave 2 stars and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Great Staff. 3 blocks off the beach. No frills & shared amenities like fridge/freezer is so handy for keeping ice & meals. TV had more channels than near by hotel. Fan in room rather than a/c. I found the rooms to be clean & kept up fairly well for a hostel. I will stay here again if i return. Book online for a discount. I would recommend a lower room considering the heat. Bring some spare sheets & a towel for your own comfort. Fellow travellers were friendly & not too loud parties etc. More noise coming from next door hotel than Colores. Such is Mexico...Cheers!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Basic, great location, very quiet, super clean & very affordable. Book thru hostelbookers.com for the best deal. We are in our mid 30's and were hoping this was not a party hostel and we were very happy with the diverse clientel. This place offered a deal during high season, holiday time. Coloers Mexicanos offers no air conditioning (did have ceiling fan), yet offeres adequate bath towels, cable tv, complete equipped communal kitchen, communal balcony, common sitting area, computer stations in lobby and private and group rooms. We opted for a private suite with a bathroom. No safe, yet lockers are in rooms but you must have your own lock. Beds have sheets only, but with no air conditioning it was not an issue. They did give us a blanket upon request with no issues. We had no hot water during our entire stay (as the place advertised) & I see from other reviews, we were not the only ones. The water was not warm, nor super cold...but definately on the cooler side. Regardless, I would recommend it and return. We were prepared for less than good customer service from reviews, but we had no issues with the staff and found them adequate with no complaints. This is not recommended for youngsters looking for a party hostel, its more of a basic, quiet hotel w/ hostel amenities. My husband and I are frequent travelers to Playa, thus we'd be happy to answer any questions on this hostel or the area.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

what more can you ask for?

Colores Mexicanos is a very good hostel! I have enjoyed my time here. I even had a problem, that got fixed straight away, the guys in the receptions were very friendly. The downside about the hostel is that they don´t have warm water, or I didn´t have any in the two rooms I was in. A girl tidies your room every day. And the guys working in the receptions are really nice guys and very helpfull. I haven´t felt anything but safe. The place is clean. They don´t have a safe in the room, but I have kept my stuff locked and so far nothing of the pieces lying around has gone missing.

It´s quiet and it´s 3 min walk to the tourist street!
I would def stay here again!

AND the best part, they have several computers with free internet!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

Me and some friends stayed at this place for about 5 nights while spending some time in Playa del Carmen.
At first sight the place seems just fine, painted all white, seems clean BUT on our third night we found 2 live coacroaches in our room. We killed them and told nothing to the owner, which we should have done. The rooms are fine but VERY warm, specially during the morning because at that time the sun enters your window and the shutters are non existant.
Although the neighbourhood is rather ugly it's just a 5 minutes walk away from the public beach which is a beauty.
Anyway, the really downhill part is the owner. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. And I am a spanish speaker, can't imagine what could happen if you tried to speak him in english, language which, obviously, he didn't master. We had paid him in advance for all our nights and before the last night we told him that our bus left at 2 PM and if their would be any trouble in staying in our room until 1 PM. He said it was ok. So, next morning, 4 of ous left our rooms and went down the street to use a cybercafe in order to buy a fly ticket to Cuba for a friend. To our surprise, when we went back to our room at noon we found our 2 other friends quarreling with the owner who entered with NO permission to our room, kicked our 2 friends out of the room and literally THREW out our luggage and our belongings which were not packed yet since we thought we had until 1 PM to leave the hotel.
Rudely, the owner said he had new guests waiting at the "reception" (a desk and a chair) and that our room was the only one available. FALSE, there was no one in the reception, and we had to leave with our luggage half-packed. While leaving the owner accused us of stealing a remote control which we never had because he never gave us one, we always had to stand up and walk to the TV in order to change the channel.
Overall, an average place, but DON'T interact with the rude owner, you'll thank me for it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Colores Mexicanos? Share your experiences!