My wife and I stayed at HIE Playa del Carmen with her parents for 4 nights on a road trip around the Yucatan. Given that we're used to staying in budget or mid-range family-run hostels and guesthouses, we never considered that an international brand hotel would end up being the most economical place for four people. Overall, this place exceeded our expectations and we were very happy with our stay.
Pros: First the good stuff. Either the place is newer or has just gone through extensive renovation. It's a nice place, by any standard. Very clean and well-maintained. Our room was very spacious, even with four adults, with two large beds and lots of room to spare. The pool was clean and never crowded, even with hotel at capacity. Good Mexican buffet breakfast (complimentary) and complimentary access to two beach clubs down at the beach (Senior Frogs and another).
Cons: The main issue we had was that the advertised free shuttle between the hotel and the main plaza/ beach was in the shop and no arrangements had been made to get a replacement in the mean time. The beach/ plaza is only a mile down a very walkable (if hot!) avenue with wide, street light lined sidewalks; generally this isn't a problem for us, but my father-in-law sometimes has mobility issues and we booked the hotel with the understanding that there would be a working shuttle. To the hotel staff's credit, they were able to arrange alternate transportation on a few occasions for him, but really, there should have been an alternative solution for all guests. In addition to the shuttle issue, two of the mornings staff had drastically underestimated the number of guests for the breakfast buffet, and by 8:30 or 9am they were cleaned out. Additionally, the breakfast wasn't quite on par with the HIE Cancun that we stayed at a few days prior.
All in all, good value for the money, as others have pointed out. If they can get their shuttle and breakfast kinks worked out, it will be a great value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located only 5 blocks away from our beach club, this award winning three-star hotel caters to the value-oriented traveler who is looking for excellent accommodations and price. Our European Plan allows you to get your full American breakfast in the morning and spend the rest of your day in excursions. Our hotel is located only 5 minutes from Xcaret and Delphinus with shuttle service available. At the end of your day relax in our swimming pool amid beautiful surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Playacar Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Playacar Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Express Playa Del Carmen
- Express Playacar Riviera Maya
- Holiday Inn Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Playacar Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico