My family spent 4 nights in Playa Del Carmen after staying at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun. We did not want an all-inclusive resort in PDC because we had planned to make several days trips. We wanted a safe, clean and inexpensive place, and the Holiday Inn Express met all our expectations.
As others have pointed out, this hotel is not centrally located. It is about 12 minutes walk to the busier 10 Ave and another 2-3 minutes walk to the ADO bus station or 5 Ave, where the action is. It is a safe and flat walk. There is a convenient store about 5 mins and a grill restaurant about 7 mins from the hotel. The hotel provides a free shuttle almost hourly from the hotel to 3 locations near 5 Ave throughout the day. I believe the first shuttle is around 9-something and the last one is around 5-something. You have to walk or take back. There are taxis parked at the hotel in the morning if you do not want to take the shuttle.
There are a couple of beach facilities where you can use for free as guests of the Holiday Inn Express. One such place is the Senior Frog beach near the ferry terminal. This is a clothing optional beach.
The check in process is straightforward and the front desk people were friendly and professional. The concierge was very friendly and full of advice. We took her advice of taking the ADO bus to Chitchen Itza; in hindsight, we would not recommend taking the ADO bus because it takes an hour longer each direction. For 5 people, we could have hired a taxi for the day for the same price.
We had 2 rooms and both were quite big and very clean and quite modern. One of the shower drain was draining very slowly, so we called the front desk. The maintenance guy showed up within 5 minutes and fixed it. Fantastic responsiveness.
The hotel have bicycles for guests to use for free. You just need to give the security people an ID to check out the bicycles. We had a wonderful ride around the Playacar resort area which rather relaxing and safe.
Breakfast appear to be yummy but all I had was toast and jam. The day we check into the hotel, I had a terrible case of food poisoning. Prior to my illness, my last meal was lunch at the all-inclusive resort in Cancun. I was taken to the emergency room in PlayaMed Hospital in an ambulance. Anyway, I felt the effect of the food poisoning for several days so all I could eat was toast and jam. My family thought that the breakfast was quite good. There were toasts, pastries, cereal, about 6 diffrerent kinds of Mexican food (bean, etc.), fruits, yoghurt, milk, coffee, juice, etc.
Throughout the day and night, coffee, tea and water are available from the lobby for free. I did not like the taste of the tap water. It tasted rather salty and unpleasant.
My #1 complaint about this hotel is the weak wifi. Wifi from from our rooms were rather weak and unusable. Wifi from the lobby was better but not strong either. Most frustrating was that the signals keep dropping every so often. There are ethernet jacks in the room, so bring an ethernet cable if you've a laptop. Also, they have a business center with 3 computers and 1 printer, which is very useful for online checkin for flights.
I would stay at this hotel again for my next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located only 5 blocks away from our beach club, this award winning three-star hotel caters to the value-oriented traveler who is looking for excellent accommodations and price. Our European Plan allows you to get your full American breakfast in the morning and spend the rest of your day in excursions. Our hotel is located only 5 minutes from Xcaret and Delphinus with shuttle service available. At the end of your day relax in our swimming pool amid beautiful surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Despegar.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Playa Del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Playacar Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Express Playa Del Carmen
- Express Playacar Riviera Maya
- Holiday Inn Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico