“Wonderful Downtown Playa Del Carmen Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub

You added Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub to your Saves list
Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1a. Avenida Norte, Mza. 26 #23, Calle 16, Col. Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 40% off & Breakfast
Ranked #26 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Calgary, Canada
“Wonderful Downtown Playa Del Carmen Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We just checked out after spending 4 great nights at the PPC Hotel. Everything was wonderful. The front desk / check-in was easy and everything about the facility was explained. We chose a top floor unit with the hottub area, doing it again, I probably wouldn't pay the extra as we didn't really use it. We had to lock our unit to go up there as it was a seperate area. The hottub was not the nicest so I wouldn't make your decision based on that area, there's a great hottub beside the main pool. I think all the rooms look amazing and also are quite private with all the trees and greenery inside the complex. The location is incredibly quiet given that it's right off of Fifth Ave. The location is fantastic, the staff were amazing, the breakfast at Imprevist was amazing! If you're looking for more of a boutique feel in Playa, I would highly recommend the Porto Playa!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 214 which was great but I wouldn't choose it based on the hottub area as we hardly...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear busy-travellin,
It's so nice to hear that your stay at Porto Playa was wonderful. It really is such a lovely condo hotel with beautiful landscaping surrounding you which, as you mentioned, makes it feel like a private retreat. The penthouse units are amazing for privacy. We offer the hot tubs on the private roof decks for exclusivity, however as you pointed out, there is a great hot tub located in our common area as well. I am pleased that you have such amazing comments about every detail of your stay including your experience at Imprevist. Our prime location proves to be one of the biggest compliments as we are perfectly and centrally located to ever reason why you would come to Playa in the first place - the beach, the 5th Ave, amazing food and awesome entertainment. You will never have to walk far to get to where you wish to be. Thank you again for taking the time to share and I hope that you will return back soon to Porto Playa.

Kind Regards,
Owner, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here 8 nights based on the reviews we read of this hotel in comparison to others in Playa and were not disappointed. Our criteria was to find a relatively quiet and kid-friendly place near Quinta Avenida and near the beach, with a pool and close to food options.

The results?
-You really can't beat this location. It is close to everything- great restaurants, Quinta right around the corner, taxis, grocery stores...
-The condo was really comfortable and spacious. We had a lovely patio which we used often and the bedroom was totally big enough for us to set up a little travel bed for our 4 year old.
-The pool here is GORGEOUS and LOVELY. Seriously, the pictures don't do it justice. We were in there for hours everyday, and in fact our daughter learned to swim in it. It was the most comfortable and beautiful pool I've ever been in. And many times we had it to ourselves.

-The service here was great. Extremely helpful and friendly staff. I speak fluent Spanish and didn't even try with most of them- their English was really impressive. And they were always willing to help.

The few down sides to our stay:
-The kitchen could have been a little better appointed. We mostly just tried to eat lunches here but even then I found a few key things lacking (like a colander or a cheese grater, for example). But the basics (cups, plates, cutlery) are definitely there.
-I didn't have the best sleeps here- the bed was pretty hard and also it was a bit louder than we were expecting at night at times (like you could hear muffled mariachi music from a nearby place until midnight or longer a few nights). At first I was disappointed, as I did a ton of research to find a place where our 4 year old would be able to sleep soundly, but she was so tired from the sun-filled days that she slept through all the music we heard, and if I used earplugs it wasn't too bad either. The last night or two we had some inconsiderate upstairs neighbours who were yelling and stomping around above well past midnight, so I was glad for earplugs then as well.
-This has no bearing on the hotel itself, but we found the beach in Playa to be not as nice as other areas of this coast. There are tons of boats and sea-dos, so it kind of smelled like gas everywhere we went, and it just isn't as pristine as other beaches we've been to elsewhere in Mexico and other countries. Apparently (we were told) if we had made the trek further towards Playacar the beach gets nicer- we didn't do this because it was too long a walk with our daughter, but we would definitely try to check this out if we returned.

Neither of these things would keep me from coming back here. In fact, we think this would be a perfect place to come with other family members or with friends, which we may well do in the future.

Room Tip: We were in 203, on the ground floor and found it to be a great space for 2 adults and a child. We w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Carlos, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Having frequented Playa del Carmen I have always left wanting more in the way of accomodations. Porta Playa Condo/Hotel was the perfect fit for my needs. I will search no more. The facility is simply beautiful. It is clean, well maintained and tastefully fitted for most any vacation. The gardens within the complex are simply amazing and lend greatly to achieving a quiet and relaxing effect. I simply could not believe I was only 1 block from the bustle of 5th Ave. and 1 block from the beach. We were greeted by a staff that was smiling (what a change!) and willing to accommodate any request at any hour. We were also given complimentary cards for breakfast at near-by Imprevist and Indigo(both great), gym passes(new and impressive), beach club passes, a dinner discount at Plank which in my opinion, is the very best and most unique dinning experience in town (don't miss this even if you stay at another location). I left without even one complaint for my experience at Porto Playa, which almost never happens. I can't wait to book a return visit.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground level, which I expected to be a bit noisy. It was not and we slept peacefu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear stevepringle2014,
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! I am beyond happy that we were able to accommodate such an incredible experience on every level. The location is defiantly the perfect fit for someone who seeks peace without having to sacrifice convenience. The beach is literally steps away and you have every possible amenity surrounding you including easy access to the well known 5th Avenue. We offer only the best recommendations based on excellent feedback from our guests and VIPs. I am extremely happy that you felt that level of quality in every establishment that we recommended including your experiences at PLANK, Imprevist, Indigo and the GYM. We will definitely hope to see you back with us for your future stays in Playa del Carmen.

Best,
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We recently enjoyed our second annual visit to Condo Hotels with friends who have stayed in Condo Hotels every year for over a decade. This year, we opted for Porto Playa and it was great. You can't beat the location and proximity to the 5th street food and activities. The condo is very clean and neat. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, but not the worst ever. The pool was amazing and we loved it. The only complaint about the pool would be that there were no restrooms so we had to go back to our condo hotel. We rented bikes in town and the staff was very accommodating to let us store our bicycles in the underground garage. The maid service was excellent and took great care of us. The front office seemed a bit disorganized. They had our transportation billing wrong and then our airport transportation was not easy to organize. Plus, the transportation that they arranged was not nearly as nice as they usually book for us and quite a bit more expensive. We look forward to returning to Playa Del Carmen next year and we hope to try another Condo Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Condohotels, Owner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Carrie H,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor about your recent visit to Porto Playa. I appreciate the wonderful comments about the onsite amenities, the cleanliness of the rooms and the property overall. We work to meet superior standards to maximize the quality of your stay. About the airport transportation you may have been feeling a bit of the high season prices and the same may apply to the transportation availability as the winter months get extremely busy for the transportation companies we contract with. We always try to seek out the most comfortable transportation at the best prices for our guests. As you mentioned about the mattresses, as part of some routine yearly improvements to the hotels we are addressing this issue by replacing the mattresses in each unit to provide more comfort for our guests. We still have a few rooms left to go but we are nearing completion of replacing all mattresses. I am thrilled that you chose Condohotels for a second time and we surely hope to see you again in the future.

Best,
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here during New Years and had a great time. The location is great and the service at the beach club is superb. Porto playa condo is on a street that is pretty quiet considering you're only one block off of fifth street. The area is safe and has plenty to do. The condo we stayed in was a good size and very clean.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

A friend and I stayed in Unit 219, which I spent a long time researching and chose this particular unit . I specifically requested that a/c be in working order on my reservation. It's an excellent Unit, however, just as we walked in noticed the mildew smell (very common in Playa, but needs to be addressed when spending a lot of money for these units) the a/c was not working properly in master bedroom. Made you feel "damp" while sleeping. The front desk staff addressed issue immediately and concurred the a/c unit was not working properly and issue would be addressed when manager came in. This is where it goes down hill in my opinion. Later they sent the handyman? or whomever he was to address issue again, he said "you don't have the a/c turned on" - no kidding - really!..... It doesn't work properly so I had turned it off - and the handyman said it's working fine, it's because the room is big (crap - I think the condensor is faulty or it's very dirty and needs replacing). He then said he sprayed something on the unit for mold. They then rolled in a de-humidifier, which sounded like a jet taking off - I can't sleep w/that thing on. Mistake #1 - don't send in a handyman to make me have to deal with a problem - it's your problem, don't make it mine, especially after staff already concurred it was not working properly! Manager came later and offered a new room; the room was lesser than what we had (smaller rooms, smaller beds and no view at all - this unit always seemed available when you checked vacancy so my guess it is a less desirable unit). I declined and just "dealt with" it by not using a/c and just opening up all the doors and windows. It was rather unseasonably cooler anyway so it was manageable. Another encounter with management after we met some owners, who were all trying to being nice, but in the end just didn't cut it - we were offered another room at El Taj verbally, of which we had to work our way in and tell them who sent us (it should have been made smoother). The room was a 1st floor on the beach but behind the restaurant area - felt subterranean - my guess, another less desirable unit (albeit way more expensive), but not as nice as what we already had at Porto Playa. We opted to keep our Unit. We had a great stay - my room was awesome, but I had no a/c all week. Which, you can hear everything - the gym has an open area in the middle of the complex so you hear loud music and loud instructors, and toward end of the week, loud guests and kids (there went the neighborhood lol - wonder if they should consider this a future change over to adults only property - 16 y/o and above?). Again, if a/c was working properly, that may have drowned out the noise. This particular unit is rather quiet until gym and noisy kids/adults are active. My friends room had working a/c and was great and fresh smelling. H was thrilled. Without going droning on (too late!) , I think I would have given 5 stars to this review had the room had a "deep" cleaning, aired out and had a working a/c. I noticed there was not "white glove" kind of cleaning for my taste for a new entering guest - again it's clean but should be better (dust on backs of couch area, "things" on tables, and over the course of 8 nights, I killed 4 bugs (one of which was in the vegetable drawer of the fridge). Frankly, things happen, I know it's the tropics, but have been going to Playa 1-2 times/year for the past 15 years, I know what to expect. And it shouldn't be my problem when there is a problem - it's their problem and when I spend almost $3000 for 8 nights, I want NO problems. Don't try to make it right by offering someone a lesser desirable unit. I write this review not to deter anyone from going to this property - it's nice, safe, has friendly staff and excellent location - but more to have management step up on the tiny details that make a big difference. We had a great time in Playa as we know the area well, and our view from our living room and deck was really something with all the tropical plants and nice deck furniture - and we even had a tiny view of the water! The new restaurant they opened below the complex - Plank - so so; it's trying to hard to be an upscale "trendy" place - take it down a notch, get organized and it could be good. It's not New York, Chicago or even Boston so don't try to make it that way..... Would I go back - I would, but maybe not during high season prices.

Room Tip: Unit 219 is excellent if they replace the master bedroom a/c. The bathroom is awesome in the master...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Libertyville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed a week in unit 220. We loved our unit, it was exactly as the pictures on the web site depicted. The unit was very clean, decorated beautifully, and the roof top patio was such a great place to relax, talk, and laugh under the stars of Mexico. We could not have been happier with out experience at Porto Playa Condo Hotel beach club.
We opted for the airport hotel, which was perfect. We waited less than 5 minutes after exiting the airport lobby for our ride. The van took us straight to the condo where Erick Perez greeted us. He explained the perks that came with the hotel and made sure all our questions were answered. We were taken to unit 220 where the bell man explained how the safe and other amenities of the condo worked. Had an issue getting the TV on the first night and assistance came shortly after we called the front desk.
The grounds and pool are beautiful. Always kept clean and beautiful. They were replacing the pool railings while we were there, but the workers were very nice, would move lounge chairs and umbrella's so we were as far away from their work area as possible. Took nice long breaks during their work as well to give us some peace and quiet. The pool is almost never busy and you can always find a lounge chair any time of the day. No one is going out and reserving the chairs when they are not using them!
The daily cleaning service was great. You could set a dial on your patio door to alert them to the kind of service you would like. Such as full cleaning, change of towels, wash dishes, and so forth. Left a tip daily for the cleaning ladies as they are not always the same person. They were always timely and efficient.
We cooked upstairs on the outdoor grill. It was great to be able to have a home cooked meal one night. We spent a great amount of time upstairs just relaxing, going in the hot tub, watching the stars, and just enjoying our time in the great weather. Other people have commented that they never used it and it wasn't worth the money. Well, if you don't like to spend a lot of time outdoors and like to sit inside and watch TV, then it probably isn't worth the money. But we love to be outside and loved the patio.
Any questions or concerns we had were always answered at the front desk. Everyone was helpful and nice.
We got the breakfast included deal. You have the choice of 2 places to eat and both are outstanding. The beach club is more of a buffet with fruit, sweet rolls, yogurt, granola, toast, and cereal, and other goodies each day. In addition you ordered one main entre off the menu and they have everything, eggs, waffles, French toast, Mexican dishes. Some people have commented that it is the same everyday. Well they offer everything you can imagine to eat for breakfast and then the main item off the menu which has at least 20 items to choose from. The variety is there if you want to choose it. The other breakfast place is the Improve which is also great. Choose a chair outside and watch the world go by! Again great breakfast with sweet roll basket and yogurt to start, followed by a fruit plate, followed by whatever you order off the menu. Fantastic food and the waffle is to die for.
Took a few outings that we enjoyed as well. Please be aware that when they tell you how long it takes to get to a venue they are telling you the actual time if you drove yourself. Many times you are part of a van of people that are attending the same venue and it can take almost 2x as long as you stop to pick other people up along the way. Not that big of a deal, but something to take into consideration.
Being able to walk out of your hotel and spend time exploring restaurants and shops along 5th avenue was outstanding. We loved trying so many different restaurants and people watching.
We are planning on going back as there is a ton of other things to do that we didn't get around to exploring. Will definitely stay at the Porto Playa Condo Hotels.

Room Tip: If you like to spend time outside, get a room with the roof top patio. Lovely
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub? Share your experiences!