“Highly overrated” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels

You added Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels to your Saves list
Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. 10 Con Calle 14 | Col. Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #46 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Frankfurt, Germany
“Highly overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

and overbooked. I had booked the hotel for 8 nights. When I arrived they didn´t know about my booking. After some phone calls the lady at the front desk found out that I had been moved to a different hotel. She came up with some stupid story of malfunctioning showers in my room, while other guests where checking in.
They moved me to a very noisy and cheaper hotel right on 5th Avenue (xtudio). After I complained yet again, they showed me a hotel room at Aqualuna right next to the front desk. I was rather underwhelmed: small room, very basic, little privacy next to the front desk. In my search for a better accommodation I looked at some more hotels and definitely wouldn´t recommend the Aqualuna. I think it´s highly overrated. There are nicer and quieter hotels in the vicinity in a similar price range (take a look a LunaSol).
Moving me to a cheaper hotel right on 5th Avenue was an absolute no go.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
XperienceHotels, General Manager at Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Ambassador(as we love to define our guests),

First of all allow us to thank you for your preference on you most recent stay with us. We are grateful for your feedback and your comments are being taken into consideration for the opportunity they represent for us to improve our services. We are very sorry for the situation you encountered with your reservation upon arrival and the “ bad surprise” of not having your room available that apparently generated in you the feeling of the “overbooking syndrome” . Hotels are like houses that need continuous maintenance. Sometimes, in spite of the effort we make, bad maintenance issues happen when we less expect it and, most important, when there is no other alternative available. Luckily we represent the management of 4 properties in Playa del Carmen and we thought that, at that very moment, it was necessary to provide a quick solution. This is why we had to move your reservation to another of our hotels located on the 5th Avenue named Xtudio. Once again luck was not on our side and we were not able to inform you prior to your arrival. As soon as we got to know you were unsatisfied with the option we gave you, we were able to make changes and a guest of ours accepted to be taken to the same hotel where you were moved in order to accommodate you back at Aqualuna and, even though our Front Desk supervisor offered you some allowances to compensate for the inconvenience, we realized that they were not perceived positively. We are more eager than ever to make it up with you and show you that out of a crisis there is always an opportunity. You can be sure that we will strive to do our best in order to fulfill your expectations and therefore invite you to give us another opportunity. Kindly contact us privately to arrange for a voucher that can be exchanged for a stay at any of our Xperience Hotels.

Looking forward to having the opportunity to host you in the future
Warm regards and happy new year!

Giuseppe Crapanzano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed for 16 nights here and first we were slightly worried about the location. There is the biggest night club in town "Coco Bongo" very close by, but we were pleased to find out that there was little noise from there. Anyway, it's located on a quite busy street, so you might hear some traffic noise but for us sleeping was good with the AC on.

The staff was super-friendly, and everything worked out perfectly at the hotel, breakfast was served at a nearby sister hotel which was superb. Fresh fruits with yoghurt and muesli and fresh bread, very nice. There is also a filling spot at the hotel for your water bottles so you don't have to buy new ones every day, a big plus!

The room itself was pretty nice, queen sized bed in a second floor room. Shower worked ok, there was hot water nicely and the room service kept the room spotless. Location was perfect on the 10th avenue, there was only a 5 minute walk to the beach or 5th avenue, and nearby was also 2 supermarkets and several excellent restaurants.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, one of the nicest hotels I've been to. Not a five star hotel but it's still really really comfortable in it's own way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Public Relations at Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear LauriAa,
Thank you for the time you destined to share your review, we truly appreciate feedback. We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay at our Aqualuna Boutique Hotel. Our main purpose is to make you feel better than home with our Infinite Hospitality service. Thank you for your preference we will continue to work hard to exceed expectations and reach excellence.
Greetings from Playa del Carmen, we hope to have you back soon. Happy 2013!
Casandra Luna
Modiin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed three nights in this hotel and upgraded ourselves to the upper suite which was really unique. the room was huge but nevertheless warm and homey.. Service was great starting from the receptionsts and ending with the cleaning staff which was really awesome. the location of the hotel is great and despite the fact that it is not far from the noisy fifth avenue Coco Bongo it is very quite. The coffee spot next to the computer in the garden is really homey and gives the sense that the visitors are really wanted here. I utterely recommend this hotel for its location and wonderful employees.

Room Tip: recommend the upper rooms which are bigger and more comfotable
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

The price/value relation is awesome. Very well designed rooms. First class service and very friendly. The hotel location is just perfect, close but far enough to rest without noise. Every request we had was flawlessly granted. If I still wanted the same Playa del Carmen experience, I'd choose Aqualuna.

• Stayed December 2012
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

What a special place. From the excellent hospitality to the charming architecture and set up -- was totally blown away by this hidden gem in Playa Del Carmen!

LOCATION: Right on 10th and 14th St., it is literally steps away from action-packed 5th Avenue, yet a world away. From my room (number 1), I could hear nothing but the gentle sound of the fountain outside. It was bliss.

ROOM: Simple, yet beautifully appointed. Mayan toiletries in the bathroom/sink, which they buy directly from the villages by the way. Sustainability practices are written on every detail in the room, from the towel rack to the toilet paper signs. Like they say, it's all in the details. Humorous signs, too :)

The bed was firm, but comfortable. I woke up refreshed every day. Linens were always crisp and clean. My only complaint is that I found a sauce stain on one of the towels (albeit it was clearly clean) and there was some amount of frost at the bottom of the fridge. They didn't bother me one bit, but I must note this. Might be time for a little update?

SERVICE: When they say "infinite hospitality," they are not kidding. They live by their motto. Carlos at reception was excellent in every way, even gave me a full-size complementary Colgate total and tooth brush (brand-new!). Just as I asked where the drugstore was because I had left mine behind. Little things like this can simply make the day of the guest. In every instance I needed help or assistance, the staff went the extra mile. Just wow

PRICE: For just $60 a night (got an offer on low season, pre-book online and direct!), it was an absolute bargain. The boutique hotel experience, intimate get close to all the action in Playa Del Carmen, and Xcellent hospitality. What more could I have asked for?!

OVERALL: Perfect little hotel for the explorer. IF you are a traveler that prefers to stay in the hotel most of the trip enjoying amenities, Aqualuna is not for you. However, if you want a little cove to rest, Aqualuna is perfect :)

RATING: Would give it 4.5, but here I wouldn't take out a full star for what I specified. I recommend you don't get the breakfast option so you get to try the several local restaurants nearby

Can't wait to go back to Aqualuna. A little slice of heaven in the Yucatán!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Me and my husband went to Cancun and Playa del Carmen for 10 nights and stayed at this hotel for 4 nights . This is a very basic hotel ,nice, clean and comfortable. One block from all the 5th Av action.
Staff was absolutely AWESOME !!! Great asset for this company . Every single one of the employees were nice, professional, very service oriented and willing to help. Will definitely stay here again and recomend to friends and family . Walking distance to Walmart ( about 5 blocks ) and La Mega (around same blocks away but different direction ) A few steps away from the famous Coco Bongo yet quiet at night time . If you are just looking for a place to sleep while doing your excursion at Playa you won't go wrong w Aqualuna .
Also walking distance from the ADO terminal and very close by to Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Xplore and Tulum

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were a very good size, we had mamitas beach club included which was nice, the breakfast were buffet style and pretty good. All in all was the standard expected from a higher end hotel, only down side is location which is a few roads from the beach and a block away from coco bongo, pdc's biggest club (one night was noisy).

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Aqualuna Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels? Share your experiences!