“What a Concept - What a Meal!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: International, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: PLANK offers a unique & fine dining experience like no other in the region. We're located on a quaint street right off 5th ave with an upscale sophisticated atmosphere Our concept focuses on a special cooking technique designed to delicately infuse natural flavor by cooking our food directly on Himalayan salt stones and wooden planks! We feature a gourmet family style menu including USDA certified beef, prime seafood selections, gourmet flatbreads and large shareable side dishes. Be sure to try our signature creations including Cedar Plank Salmon or our Famous Beef Wellington or our tender Twin Baby Lobster Tails! We're also the perfect venue if your celebrating a special occasion (let us know). For reservations click on our web site.
Porto, Portugal
“What a Concept - What a Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

This restaurant truly blew my mind! The concept drew me in, the service and food kept me coming back! Some of the best appetizers I have ever had - not only in Mexico - but ANYWHERE! The seared scallops rapped in bacon presented on a Himalayan salt stone is not to miss - the menu at Plank rivals menus to be found in the trendiest restaurants of Paris or New York. I must admit, I ordered the the Beef Wellington more than once. We were lucky enough to be able to thank the Chef personally (who is also a partner of the Restaurant - so you know the product coming out of the kitchen is meticulously cared for and presented) - can't wait to return to Mexico to finish off my tour of this eclectic menu - if you are gong to Playa del Carmen - You have to go to Plank!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Condohotels, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are beyond thrilled to hear that your experience at Plank was out of this world. What a compliment to us to be compared to the trendy restaurant scenes in New York City and Paris! One of our biggest ideas when creating Plank, was to create an experience like not other in Playa - with a unique style featuring an upbeat ambiance and trendy NYC style decor. We followed that up with the the highest standards for food and service, ultimately resulting in going beyond "just another meal" and instead having a truly outstanding experience. Great pick on the Beef Wellington as it is after all our signature dish and also one of our most loved. I hope you will have the chance to come back and try the Himalayan Grilled Shrimp or our scrumptious rack of lamb. I am also glad that you got to personally meet our master Chef Juan Diego Solombrino. He takes amazing pride in everything he creates and brings to your table. Thank you again for the amazing review and the recommendations. We hope to see you again at Plank the next time you visit Playa del Carmen.

Flemington
“Good place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This place was good. Atmosphere was cool and our teenagers enjoyed it. Service was very good. Apps were good and wine list was good. I had the salmon which was not very memorable - but my son had the filet mignon and he loved it. We would go back.

Visited April 2014
Condohotels, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review with us on Trip Advisor. All feedback is very important to us as we use it as a tool to continuously be better. I'm sorry that we couldn't impress with the salmon but we are definitely happy that the Filet Mignon was up to expectations (it is one of our most raved about selections)! I hope that you got to enjoy some of our family style side dishes which are good for small groups to share. This includes mashed potatoes, amazing Portabella mushrooms, sauteed spinach with garlic (yum!), grilled vegetables and much more! I'm glad to hear you will consider returning so hopefully we will see you soon!

New York City, New York
“A wonderful addition to Playa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Staff excellent-food great! The oysters can't be beat. Scallops fresh, salmon cooked to perfection, and the drinks were excellent.

Visited April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your amazing comments about your experience at Plank! I am so happy you enjoyed all of your food selections! You are completely right on, the oysters are definitely amazing! Your other selections of the salmon and scallops are also top picks! If you eat meat next time be sure to try our famous Filet Mignon or Beef Wellington! As we say in Mexico - Buenisimo!
We hope that you will return back to Plank during your next trip to Playa del Carmen!

Duluth, Minnesota
“Great unique food experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Let me first say,the food (flatbread with mushrooms, followed by Beef wellington, drinks ( I forget the name - berry something ) and ambiance was excellent . The employees knew that management wanted to make the customers feel welcome and well served and we were!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Condohotels, Guest Relations Manager at PLANK Gourmet grill & patio bar, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Warren,
Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and for you sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that you loved your food selections. The Beef Wellington continues to get rave reviews!! Hopefully next time you will have the opportunity to try our delicious lamb or one our famous chicken pot pie! We are definitely happy we made you feel welcome and that you received great great service! We work hard to create a happy and satisfactory experience for all of our guests everyday!

New York City, New York
“One of Best in Playa Del Carmen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Strangely the restaurant did not have our reservation for 10 or try to welcome my family when they were standing in the front of the restaurant, but they made it up in a big way. Goat Cheese Flatbread and BBQ Ribs appetizers were awesome and so were all the Planks. The Salted Fish Plank I had was very very very salty but it was worth the experience and presentation they displayed. Shrimp Plank was beautiful looking and Salmon was delicious also. It was my parents 40th anniversary and they changed the music at the venue and brought out cake and champagne with strawberries on the house. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,
First I would like to give you a big thank you for your rave review despite the hiccup with the reservation. I'm glad that we had no problem accommodating your party right away. At Plank we love celebrations and as a thank you for choosing us for your special occasions we want to make it as memorable as it can possibly be!! I'm glad you enjoyed the perks of celebrating a very special day at Plank! All you have to do is let us know you are celebrating a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, major accomplishment, graduation, ect.) and we will arrange a nice presentation for you to enjoy and to compliment your special day! We are also glad you enjoyed the Plank style presentations for your meals. Regarding the salted fish plank I apologize for this. Sometimes the salt content on the salt blocks may be higher than others. It is rare that this should ever happen. If management had known it is for sure they would have replaced it immediately. Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you again in the future at PLANK.