“WONDERFUL Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya

You added Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Xaman-Ha Mza 9 y 10 Lote 1 Int.Fracc. | Fase II Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“WONDERFUL Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This Riu property was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT in everyway.. The lobby is stunning.. We were greeted with tropical drinks right when we arrived to the desk. The staff was AMAZING. They really went out of their way to make us feel like royalty. The food was DELICIOUS and soo much variety we could not believe it. They put on an incredible show every single night. My husband and I really enjoyed the entertainment. The hotel was super clean and had everythign you could imagine. I would recomment this hotel to more couples that to families.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was our second trip to the Riu Palace - 5 years apart. Some things have changed: for the better - they have enough chairs and shade now so that you don't have to get up at 6am to reserve a spot; for worse - they no longer allow you to have dinner at the other Riu hotels in the area. They do allow breakfast and lunch, but who wants to leave the beach during the day to walk to another hotel?
Food is good, plentiful and great variety. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Drinks keep coming and coming and.....
Only complaint - and this same issue was expressed in another Trip Advisor review that I read - I requested a certain room based on my earlier stay at the Riu, and was informed by my travel agent that if I wasn't happy with my assigned room I could just ask the front desk to reassign us. Of course, our assigned room was the complete opposite of what I had asked for, and was probably the worst room in the place. BUT....I could have the room I wanted for an additional $350. This was the rate for a 'superior' room. Old bait and switch if you ask me. Not a good way to start your vacation. With everything else so good, why pull a cheap stunt like this?
Beach is fine with lots of water-sports activities available.
20 minute walk to 'town' for shopping.

Room Tip: Room closer to beach and away from nighttime revels; opening on courtyard side, on 2nd or 3rd level.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 7 days. We have never traveled outside of the country. We are so glad we came here! What a wonderful hotel and great beach! Our room was nothing special and over looked the hotel next door, but we didn't care because we spent our vacation at the beach! The staff is wonderful. So friendly and considerate! They worked so hard to make everyone happy. We stayed away from the pool area as it seemed that's where the spring breakers seemed to migrate too. The fruity drinks are wonderful. We liked that you were able to walk to the markets. The food was excellent for being Buffett style. The Japanese and steak restaurants were awesome. I tried sushi and octopus for the first time! It tasted wonderful! We loved everything about this place and plan on going back next year!

• Stayed March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just came back from a spring break vacation with a large group and had a great time. Overall service is terrific as are the facilities,food and accommodations.

Highly recommend as a family or group destination !

Only suggestion is to revisit the restaurant reservation system as the "no show" rate is high so they might want to consider doing a bit of overbooking instead of turning people away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was me and my wife's first all inclusive and first trip outside the country so we were a bit nervous on what to expect. I did a lot of reading of resort reviews here on tripadvisor and talked to friends about the area. We booked through a travel agent and Apple Vacations. We picked Riu Palace Riviera Maya and we weren't disappointed.The beach was amazing and close to town which was a short walk away. The staff was wonderful keeping a drink in your hand and always willing to get you what you needed or direct you to someone who would. Our room was also very nice. It had everything as promised and was very clean. We loved the liquor dispensers just a great idea even though we didn't use them much. The buffet was great always more than enough delicious food to gorge on. We ate dinner at the Mexican, Japanese, Steakhouse, and Fusion restaurants. The Mexican was great. I loved the suckling pork in banana leaves and my wife loved the chicken. We stuffed ourselves that night. The Japanese was alright. We love asian cuisine and eat it often. The sushi was good but kinda plain plus other the soy sauce there wasn't any other condiments like sushi sauce or spicy mayo a must have for us. The tuna tataki was very good. My main dish was a beef and vegetable stir fry which was ok. My wife's chicken noodle dish was much better. The Steakhouse was our favorite. We both had Steak and lobster and it was delicious. The seafood appetizer before the main dish was great to. The Fusion restaurant was suprisingly delicious. I had the lamb and my wife the sirloin which were both great. The wine at the restaurants was also very good. After dinner they have entertainment and drinks in the courtyard which was very relaxing. On our last full day there we had a couples massage on the beach and boy was it worth it! We also walked down to the Riu Palace Mexico just down the beach and had lunch at their buffet which was great and checked it out. They had just remodeled it and it shows very modern. Overall I would go back to either Riu Palaces but especially Riviera Maya!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a nice stay,and the staff were friendly. We enjoyed the restaurants, though the buffet left much to be desired. The rooms were simple and bathroom was a little worn, however there was free liquor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week holiday at Riu Palace Riveria Maya and what can I say, from the moment we walked into reception until the moment we left the whole holiday was perfect. Our room was on 2nd floor the view was of hotel next door, wasn't a issue with us because it was quieter that side of hotel and cooler in afternoon. Food was amazing everything from breakfast to dinner there was plenty of choice, speciality restaurants are worth a visit especially Krystal food was de-vine. Beach was lovely plenty of sunbeds to choose from sea was a bit choppy but that's not a fault of hotel, beach was cleaned of seaweed every morning. Pool area was nice and clean again plently of sunbeds, yes people did get up early to put towels on but they do that everywhere. Did get a bit noisy last week of holiday as it was spring break but they were only enjoying themselves we were all young once. All staff from housekeepers, animation, pool, bar restaurant were all extremely polite and there was always an Ola. We met some lovely people and everyone was friendly and was nice to chat to people from different parts of world. Thank you Riu Palace Riveria Maya for making our holiday so perfect

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!